Quantcast
NAMM: Roland Studio Capture audio interface - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM: Roland Studio Capture audio interface
Old 23rd January 2013
  #31
Lives for gear
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I’ve owned a Quad Capture now since May of last year. I’ve not found the preamps to be noisy at all, once I figured out how to work it. Plug and play with an LDC is easy, but with a mic, like the SM7, you really have to go into the ASIO driver to tweak the settings a bit. Once I played around with that a bit and figured it out, the pres actually sound really good—so good, in fact, I haven’t used my outboard pres in months.

Chris
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
  #32
Gear Nut
 
analogcabin's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretsch 6120 ➡️
.........but with a mic, like the SM7, you really have to go into the ASIO driver to tweak the settings a bit. Once I played around with that a bit and figured it out, the pres actually sound really good—so good, in fact, I haven’t used my outboard pres in months.

Chris
Changed the driver settings to dial in the mic pre's? I'm not sure I follow.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
  #33
Lives for gear
 
kpsiegel's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I've had two OctaCaptures for a year. I am still furious at Roland for NEVER getting the software working correctly to link the two OctaCaptures so you can get 16 ports total using ASIO. There is clock noise that you get no matter what you do. Furthermore, in that mode the drivers are not stable enough to be reliable so they end up crashing way too often. If you are using just one OctaCapture without linking then this is not a problem.

I have mine racked up using the supplied rack ears. That is not as much of an issue for me as the inane decision to put 4 inputs in front and four in back. Now I need to leave a gap in my rack just so I can get to the front panel inputs. Really annoying.

The autosense feature is definitely fantastic I agree with that. Not worth the hassle from crashing. I would consider this latest product if not for the atrocious support I got from Roland in dealing with my crashing/noise problem.
Old 24th January 2013
  #34
Deleted User
Guest
Now imagine trying to link 2 of these units
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
  #35
Lives for gear
 
heraldo_jones's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit ➡️
Now imagine trying to link 2 of these units
Roland says you can link 2 units at time ... I imagine in the same roland specific sofware, because with aggregate device in osx you can link what you want.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
  #36
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_HERALDO ➡️
Roland says you can link 2 units at time ... I imagine in the same roland specific sofware, because with aggregate device in osx you can link what you want.
Did you read the post above mine? thats what Im commenting on.
Aggregate in OSX has issues as well IMO
Old 24th January 2013
  #37
Lives for gear
 
heraldo_jones's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Yes, I read it and really don't care about Windows and Asio. I'm working in osx with aggregate (1fw interface,2 usb dac) and never get any issue.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
  #38
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_HERALDO ➡️
Yes, I read it and really don't care about Windows and Asio. I'm working in osx with aggregate (1fw interface,2 usb dac) and never get any issue.
Roland is PC centric ya know since they sport Sonar as their DAW so Im guessing the Windows guys do care about it.

2 of these would rock for a live recording setup IF the linking works well.

Can you check and see what your total latency is for your aggregate device?
If I recall the aggregate adds the buffers of all your devices together.
I have no way of checking it since I only have one device now
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
  #39
Lives for gear
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogcabin ➡️
Changed the driver settings to dial in the mic pre's? I'm not sure I follow.
I shouldn’t have said “driver” (a misnomer on my part) but rather just the Quad Capture’s window. It took me a few minutes at first to figure out that I had to actually open up the QC’s window and set things like send signals, the compressor settings, and even input settings from there, as opposed to the hardware itself. Once I did that I was able to get a strong and clean signal without the headaches of gain staging another outboard pre into the front end setup.

Reading through the above, I have a quick question for all concerned. What other company out there right now designs interfaces that allow you to link two or more of their USB interfaces at a time?...just a question….to my knowledge, Roland is the only one, but I’m green on USB interfaces; so, my assumptions may be wrong.

That said, Roland has always been big on proprietary and intellectual ownership. So, I get people’s frustrations regarding the limitations they seem to purposely introduce, but the very fact that it’s even possible to link two Octa Captures is impressive IMO. If the bottleneck is that doing so is not compatible with software outside the Roland domain (namely Sonar) then you’ve either got to change platforms or accept that limitation and move on.

Nonetheless, when you buy an Octa Capture you know that’s what you’re buying—hence the “Octa” in the name. I’ve been through the ringer with ASIO settings and my Quad Capture not working properly with Sonar X2 Pro and before that Sonar LE. Yet, the problem was NOT the Quad Capture nor was it the DAW. It was simply a matter of getting my setting correct in both. That took a bit of troubleshooting, but once I identified the right settings everything worked perfectly and has continued to work perfectly without any problems.

So, my hunch is many of the problems people are reporting with the Capture series interfaces is simply a matter of finding the right ASIO and DAW settings, and if I can be of any assistance feel free to shoot me a PM so I can help you troubleshoot to the best of my abilities.

Chris
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
  #40
Gear Addict
 
Caramel's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I`ve had an Octa Capture for a year now. I find the pre-amps fine. I have Great River and ISA pres plugged into it and use the octa capture for extra pres if I need. I think channel 8 can take louder sources like kick drum if memory served me.
I too, find that +50 gain has some noise. But I just don`t open it up that much. I bring the signal up on mixdown if needed.

If the Studio Capture is as rock solid as the Octa Capture, latency/driver wise, It`s worth it.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
  #41
Lives for gear
 
kpsiegel's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretsch 6120 ➡️
That said, Roland has always been big on proprietary and intellectual ownership. So, I get people’s frustrations regarding the limitations they seem to purposely introduce, but the very fact that it’s even possible to link two Octa Captures is impressive IMO. If the bottleneck is that doing so is not compatible with software outside the Roland domain (namely Sonar) then you’ve either got to change platforms or accept that limitation and move on.

Nonetheless, when you buy an Octa Capture you know that’s what you’re buying—hence the “Octa” in the name. I’ve been through the ringer with ASIO settings and my Quad Capture not working properly with Sonar X2 Pro and before that Sonar LE. Yet, the problem was NOT the Quad Capture nor was it the DAW. It was simply a matter of getting my setting correct in both. That took a bit of troubleshooting, but once I identified the right settings everything worked perfectly and has continued to work perfectly without any problems.

So, my hunch is many of the problems people are reporting with the Capture series interfaces is simply a matter of finding the right ASIO and DAW settings, and if I can be of any assistance feel free to shoot me a PM so I can help you troubleshoot to the best of my abilities.

Chris
The problem is not with my settings. The original firmware/driver combination that shipped with the OctaCapture DID work when linked. The first firmware update broke that and they had no way to get me the older version of the firmware. Totally screwed on that. I have no idea why there are no available copies of the first firmware but that was what Roland support told me.

The clocking noise, by the way, also happens if you link the two units without VS Expand on by just having one unit's S/PDIF out feed the other units S/PDIF in. It is annoying.

As for it not working in Sonar because that is not a Roland product, Roland owns Cakewalk and every OctaCapture ships with a copy of Sonar X1 LE (maybe X2 at this point). It SHOULD work. It doesn't.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
  #42
Lives for gear
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpsiegel ➡️
The problem is not with my settings. The original firmware/driver combination that shipped with the OctaCapture DID work when linked. The first firmware update broke that and they had no way to get me the older version of the firmware. Totally screwed on that. I have no idea why there are no available copies of the first firmware but that was what Roland support told me.

The clocking noise, by the way, also happens if you link the two units without VS Expand on by just having one unit's S/PDIF out feed the other units S/PDIF in. It is annoying.

As for it not working in Sonar because that is not a Roland product, Roland owns Cakewalk and every OctaCapture ships with a copy of Sonar X1 LE (maybe X2 at this point). It SHOULD work. It doesn't.
Gotcha…I guess I misunderstood your situation…I’m aware that Roland owns Sonar, and that was my point. From what I gleaned in the above I assumed you were running a different DAW. But, you’re right. It really should work. Just keep calling Tech Support until someone finally steps up and intervenes on your behalf. I’m sorry you’re having those troubles.
Old 24th June 2013 | Show parent
  #43
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
I've been very happy with an Octacapture. Found the pres clean even with a Beyer ribbon mike. Only problems are the fact that the unit must be powered on manually and I get bleed when putting out a clock to synch my Euro rig.
Old 21st July 2013
  #44
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Looks like this is finally shipping now.
Old 28th July 2013 | Show parent
  #45
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by unqlenol ➡️
I can say that on a recent Piano album I did my Quad Capture ended up being used over my RME Fireface UC.
That is a recording requiring pretty low noise clean sound using a close-ish stereo pair. Mics were AT 4050. Definitely not noisy, even in the quiet moments.
Interesting... I'm interested to know why you chose it over RME FF UC... I'm shopping around for a on location portable rig and it seems there are more and more units (Duet2, Babyface,Crimsom, Audient, SD usbpre2, NI Komplete Kontrol 6, Duo and octacapture... etc etc.) You get my drift..
Old 4th August 2013 | Show parent
  #46
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
anyone have a studio capture yet? these look impressive and if they use the same low latency , solid drivers that they do in the octa capture this should be a winner
Old 7th August 2013
  #47
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Some guy on here did a short review of it.
Old 1st September 2014 | Show parent
  #48
With your experience with roland capture, can you says that the converter are on the same range ??

I'm planning on bypassing the preamp for all my instruments and external preamp.

cheer
Old 2nd April 2015
  #49
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
I'm late to the conversation but I'm only now looking to purchase a Studio Capture. I'm actually still burned that I now have a Windows 8 laptop and I can no longer reliably use my Roland UA-1000 (Roland will not offer Win 8 drivers). I keep getting burned by Roland on almost every product I buy but somehow I keep spending money on their products!

My interest in the Capture is based on my satisfaction with the UA-1000. My question is, now that it has been out for a while; is it a good buy? are there alternatives that may be better for the $? Any issues with Win 8? I use Sonar (on the latest version) - any issues there as well?

Thank you.
Old 25th May 2015 | Show parent
  #50
Lives for gear
 
camarao's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Can I use it to replace my Yamaha 01v mixer?
All my instruments would be always connected to the Studio Capture and I would control them with the Logic X mixer and plug-ins.

Is this possible?
Old 16th August 2015 | Show parent
  #51
Lives for gear
 
camarao's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by silktone ➡️
Interesting... I'm interested to know why you chose it over RME FF UC... I'm shopping around for a on location portable rig and it seems there are more and more units (Duet2, Babyface,Crimsom, Audient, SD usbpre2, NI Komplete Kontrol 6, Duo and octacapture... etc etc.) You get my drift..
Im also curious on this because im not sure if i buy the rme uc or studio capture.
Old 30th October 2015 | Show parent
  #52
Lives for gear
 
camarao's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Bought one 2 days ago. The outputs are too noisy. I'm sending it back and changing it for a Scarlett 18i20 or a RME UC. I'm not sure. Any opinions?
Old 30th October 2015 | Show parent
  #53
Lives for gear
 
camarao's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Bought one 2 days ago. The outputs are too noisy. I'm sending it back and changing it for a Scarlett 18i20 or a RME UC. I'm not sure. Any opinions?
Old 30th October 2015 | Show parent
  #54
Lives for gear
 
camarao's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Bought one 2 days ago. The outputs are too noisy. I'm sending it back and changing it for a Scarlett 18i20 or a RME UC. I'm not sure. Any opinions?
Old 6th December 2015
  #55
Deleted e1b9f94
Guest
I've just tested UA1610 in my personal studio. I connected all sort of instruments to it. And i jumped on options hardly.

I don't get it why for some of you something is noisy? Some say pres are noisy some say output is noisy. I think you have other issues (ground etc.).

I have top of the line RME here, MADI converters, various different pres and what not. Roland ua1610 pres are equal as on my RME. I am not gonna say better or worse - they simply work and they are dead clean and i don't hear any color or something (which is what i expect from solid interface). No any kind of noise!

Roland ua1610 simply is working out of the box. Windows here. This is first time i tried Roland interface and i am blown away by simplicity. Everything just works, no pops, crackles or anything. Software console is really cool to work with. Simple and easy to navigate.

Pres are ultra silent and output is well...output. Nothing noisy there. I am still stunned that everything works so smoothly over plane old USB 2.0.

Apparently you can chain two of these to have double i/o but i did not tried that.

Overall pretty impressed.
Old 7th December 2015 | Show parent
  #56
Deleted e1b9f94
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarao ➡️
Can I use it to replace my Yamaha 01v mixer?
All my instruments would be always connected to the Studio Capture and I would control them with the Logic X mixer and plug-ins.

Is this possible?
Yes that is entirely possible. I am doing that setup for years with other interfaces. UA1610 works the same - very nice that way.

You just install it, route and create template in your daw and thats it.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 0 views: 1281
Avatar for detonator
detonator 11th January 2010
replies: 4947 views: 1329696
Avatar for StefVR
StefVR 1 day ago
replies: 756 views: 51104
Avatar for norfolk martin
norfolk martin 10th March 2021
replies: 0 views: 191
Avatar for Choepie
Choepie 14th April 2021
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump