Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawai James ➡️
it's really not that curved:
Old 8th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by abernathy ➡️
This photo actually illustrates how frustrating this design is. It looks to me like that's an unstable surface for Jordan's iPad - if he starts tapping on it it would be rocking back and forth - I would find that annoying. That mouse pad being curved doesn't look ideal to me either. If I want to put my 15" MacBook Pro on there I'm going to have to prop up the front to get a stable surface... even if I put a flat rubber mat on that it will be too curved for all 4 of my laptop's feet to make contact.
Well, I take your point, however I expect most folks will find a way to overcome these minor niggles in order to play the best action.

Cheers,
James
x
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Flat top and mod/pitch wheels would make this product perfect.
I'd understand the curved surface if this were a synth with tons of buttons above.
As it is, the design makes no sense with so much real-estate at the top with no function.

I'd want it to be a centrepiece in the studio but because of that, and the exclusion of pitch/mod wheels, it would have to be a second/third/fourth keyboard on the side.

That makes it feel more expensive than it should.
Hopefully Kawai can start thinking about a mkII with all that in mind.
Old 8th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
dbjp, thank you for the suggestions.

Cheers,
James
x
Old 8th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
It's just absolutely not understandable why Kawai made this 'design' choice. For exactly the same money (maybe it would even cost less ?!) it could have been a perfect flat surface, ready for your laptop, a pencil and some music paper to compose ... WHY Kawai?!

I really hope this can be changed before the release date.
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have to admit that the slightly curved top is a design flaw imo. I can see four user situations:

1) it fit's under a table-top, and here the rounded top makes you lower the keyboard for clearance

2) the controller becomes the table top, and here the curve makes it useless

3) use as a stage piano, but then you can't put another keyboard one top.

4) it's a standalone piano that's just supposed to look pretty, and there it works

Seems it's been designed really as a home piano, which is in line with the lacking mod-wheel.

IMO, if you want to reach the top-end controller market, you really should redesign the top.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarrova ➡️
I really hope this can be changed before the release date.
The VPC1 design is not going to change.

Cheers,
James
x
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks ➡️
1) it fit's under a table-top, and here the rounded top makes you lower the keyboard for clearance
The slight curve does not increase the height of the board, though. Therefore, the amount of clearance required would be the same.

Quote:
2) the controller becomes the table top, and here the curve makes it useless
I believe 'useless' is a slight over-exaggeration. You still have a nice wide area on which to place other MIDI surfaces, a mouse, computer keyboard, etc. - if desired, of course. I expect many players will prefer to keep the top completely clear. Indeed, a number of experienced pianists have commented that they prefer the uncluttered appearance as it allows them to concentrate more on the art of playing, without being distracted by a 'digital' interface.

Quote:
3) use as a stage piano, but then you can't put another keyboard one top.
Really, this depends on the keyboard. If it has rubber feet like my Nord, Korg, and pretty much ever other board, it's unlikely to be a problem. If the base is completely flat (do such boards exist?), just add some rubber feet. To be honest, I would recommend doing this even if the VPC1 didn't have the slight front curve, in order to prevent the top from becoming scratched.

4) it's a standalone piano that's just supposed to look pretty, and there it works

I agree - it's a superb action in an attractive, well-built chassis.

Quote:
Seems it's been designed really as a home piano, which is in line with the lacking mod-wheel.
You are correct. The 'P' stands for 'piano', and this is undoubtedly the focus. If players require additional control functionality, there are many options available. The same, however, cannot be said for professional quality piano controllers.

Quote:
IMO, if you want to reach the top-end controller market, you really should redesign the top.
As noted above, the VPC1 design will not be changing.

Thank you for your feedback.

Cheers,
James
x
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Years ago when I owned a Wurlitzer 200, which had a curved top, I would gig out with it and be able to stack an ARP String Ensemble without any problems. Seems that there's less of a curved top on this Kawai than there was on that Wurly......
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The VPC1 design is not going to change.

Cheers,
James
x
Great to get direct feedback here from potential customers saying almost in unison, exactly what they'd like and what would keep them from buying it.

I am one of your potential customers as well and want to reiterate that the curved top is a deal breaker for me. That photo of Jordan actually helped make the case against buying it.

These are good examples for Kawai of customers they are losing because of the design. I hope in the future, someday they will consider a change or new model with these very basic requests. Maybe we here at Gearslutz are too small a percentage of buyers to matter but I would think we could possibly be a microcosm of the industry in general.

So close but too far away for me. Money stays in my pocket.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Hi Football, thank you for your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football ➡️
I am one of your potential customers as well and want to reiterate that the curved top is a deal breaker for me. That photo of Jordan actually helped make the case against buying it.
May I ask you to clarify why the slight curve is a deal breaker, please?
In what way would it prevent you from using the board?

Thanks,
James
x
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I expect many players will prefer to keep the top completely clear. Indeed, a number of experienced pianists have commented that they prefer the uncluttered appearance as it allows them to concentrate more on the art of playing, without being distracted by a 'digital' interface.

Thank you for your feedback.

Cheers,
James
x
I really have to disagree with the above, particularly the bolded bit.
This isn't keyboard with a built-in sound bank. This is digital controller.
How can we NOT be distracted with the digital interface? That's the only way to make any sound with the VPC1 controller.
Every customer's going to have the VPC1 connected to either a desktop computer, laptop, or tablet. With a tiny select few that might use a standalone sound module. But even Kawai is advertising the VPC1 with plugin manufacturers associated to it.
This controller isn't for the pure classical or jazz pianists -at least I don't think it is- as those players will be playing the real deal most of the time. I would imagine this product is mostly for the arrangers that require the best action keyboards for their work, along with stage musicians that will carry around either a laptop or tablet as their sound module of choice (and thus require a steady surface above).
This product is specifically FOR the sake of combining the digital age with the best analogue feel.
You can't just disregard the need to address the digital aspect by simply mentioning aesthetics as the argument.
VPC1 is primarily about the ergonomics. About the feel. Right?
So let's not dismiss aspects that could improve the ergonomics and practicality of this product in the future. I'm sure your design team will be good enough to come up with something just as pleasing aesthetically by including some of the requests/concerns mentioned in this thread.

I know you have a job to do, that you have to protect your product for the short term.
This isn't an attack on the VPC1, but rather a wish list from a potential drooling customer.
Take all the emotions in this thread as a compliment! Look at all the other product threads! The ones that go nuts are usually the ones that end up beating their competition!
Good luck.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hi Football, thank you for your post.

May I ask you to clarify why the slight curve is a deal breaker, please?
In what way would it prevent you from using the board?

Thanks,
James
x
Yes James, it would start with my iPad, laptop, to a lesser extent mouse (which seems from the photo, may work relatively ok).

I realize it's a keyboard controller, not a stand to hold other things... but it's what a lot of people do... put things they're using on top.

Different strokes for different folks of course but I'd be curious what actual users of the board think. Jordan is an example of someone using it with their stuff on it... but I don't know him to get an opinion. Time will tell for more actual user feedback I guess.

The no mod/pitch wheel is also something that I want in a controller as others have mentioned. I saw you speak of workarounds but I think one of those workarounds was using an iPad if I remember correctly... which brings me back to that curved surface.

I have no first hand experience with the board so am peeking from the outside looking in.
Old 8th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the feedback dbjp!

I'm confident that the VPC1 will appeal to a variety of different musicians and composers. Some may set the board up directly below their monitor and use it simultaneously with the computer while composing and arranging.

Others, such as the 'piano purists' alluded to above, may setup the VPC1 to the side of their computer, with the monitor out of their visible sight-line - they'll fire up their preferred package, tweak some parameters (or just load a custom preset), then sit down to play for an hour or so without turning away from the keyboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp
This controller isn't for the pure classical or jazz pianists -at least I don't think it is- as those players will be playing the real deal most of the time.
It's not always possible, nor convenient to play an acoustic piano. Many players own both - they'll play their grand or upright during the day, then play a digital piano (or in this case a virtual piano) in the evening.

Really, I don't believe it's possible to specify what kind of player will or will not purchase the VPC1 - the range is simply too broad. Just a few years ago virtual instruments such as Ivory were reserved for studios and computer music enthusiasts - the majority or players would opt for a standalone digital piano (assuming an acoustic was not on option). However, we're seeing a definite shift towards virtual instruments, even among players who are less tech-savvy. Of course, standalone digital pianos still dominate, but more and more people of various ages and backgrounds are starting to experiment with virtual instruments (often connecting their older generation Yamaha or Kawai DP), and enjoying the results.

Please bear in mind that this is Kawai's first foray into the computer-oriented controller segment, so it's perhaps inevitable that some players will disapprove of certain aspects of the board's design or implementation. However, I absolutely agree that feedback from users (and non-users) on forums such as GS is incredibly useful, and I'm confident that it will be taken into consideration in the future.

Quote:
I know you have a job to do, that you have to protect your product for the short term.
Sure, but I'm not paid to respond to users on forums - either during the working day at my office, or in my free-time at home. I do so because I'm genuinely interested in connected with other players, and discussing the latest hardware. Of course, I hope that the VPC1 is successful, but this is largely because I believe it's a great board, and I know how much effort my colleagues have put into its development...not because I have any financial interest in its success.

Quote:
Take all the emotions in this thread as a compliment! Look at all the other product threads! The ones that go nuts are usually the ones that end up beating their competition!
I think this is spot on. The amount of feedback that the VPC1 has received (both positive and negative) suggests that there's a considerable amount of interest in this board, or at least something very similar to it.

Again, thanks for the feedback - both to yourself, and to everyone else participating in this thread.

Cheers,
James
x
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yes James, it would start with my iPad, laptop, to a lesser extent mouse (which seems from the photo, may work relatively ok).
Okay, I see, thanks.

How is the viewing angle on your iPad? If you're sitting down at the VPC1 with the iPad placed on top (face up), would you be able to read the display without propping it up a little? Could you perhaps place it in the music rest?

As for the laptop, this depends on your computer, but let's say a 15" MBP, so just under 25 cm deep. As you can see from the dimensions here, the top surface of the VPC1 is 24 cm, so the laptop should fit with just a small overhang - assuming you place it directly in front of you, and don't angle it left or right. Admittedly, the front feet of the MBP won't sit flush with the slightly curved front of the VPC1, however I believe enough of it will make contact with the flat portion to keep it more or less stable.

Here's a shot of one of the developer's setups. I'm afraid I don't know the Dell model sitting on top of the VPC1, but it looks reasonably secure (although I'm not a fan of x-stands, and the wiring could do with a little tidying...):

Personally speaking though, I'd probably invest in a proper laptop stand (mounted behind and hanging above the VPC1) for my Mac, rather than place it on top.

Quote:
The no mod/pitch wheel is also something that I want in a controller as others have mentioned. I saw you speak of workarounds but I think one of those workarounds was using an iPad if I remember correctly... which brings me back to that curved surface.
Yes, there was some discussion about potentially using an iPhone app (via bluetooth), but it wasn't my recommendation. I've always maintained that if you need pitchbend/modulation wheels, you're probably better off playing those voices with a separate synth or semi-weighted action board (instead of the VPC1's weighted hammer action) anyway.

Thanks again for the additional info.

Cheers,
James
x
Old 8th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I see at the download section of Kawai VPC - A virtual piano controller from a real piano company. that no software for Mac OS X is provided.

When will this be available?

Edit: I'm talking about the VPC editor, it's Windows-only on your site.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I really try to be positive about new products, I hate to be negative, but the curved top and lack of pitch bend and mod control is just bad design. All of this other stuff about if you need to use pitch wheels you'd be better off with a simi weighted keyboard is just a rationalization, and it comes off as so. If you research this you'll find that there was a reason why the Fender Rhodes went from a curved top, very simular to the one on the new Kawai, to a flat top in the early '80s, customer demand had a lot to do with it. I've had my Kurzweil Midiboard for over 20 years, it's getting old and I've been hoping to replace it with something newer, but it has polyphonic after touch, weighted wooden keys with hammer action, pitch bend and mod wheels, and a flat top, it's hard to find that combo. Guess I'll have to keep looking.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind-Over-Midi ➡️
If you research this you'll find that there was a reason why the Fender Rhodes went from a curved top
Seems to me that the developers at Kawai were just a bit out of touch with the real world users. I'd say that 70-90% of potential users will be wanting to place various objets on top (other keyboards-controllers, computers, computer keyboard, mouse, writing paper, etc), and they would all prefer a flat top.

Good designers (artists) always put practicality as a priority. To make it elegant looking, Kawai should have (imo) incorporated some curved lines (optical effects) to please our eyes, while still maintaining practicality.

Has anybody ever see a real piano that doesn't have a flat top?
Old 9th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I also feel that by leaving out the pitch/mod and having a curved top are just plain bad design. According to Kawai James, some ''purist'' don't need pitch/mod but it's not like they are loosing sales by adding those features. As for the curved top, just plain dumb and useless design.
Old 9th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
This is a perfect example of how a company can be so close to a great product, and yet so far from one people are actually willing to buy.

I'm willing to bet that if Kawai would step off their high horse and actually LISTEN to what we are saying, they would sell at least 200% more of these units...

Let's go over the changes that need to be made :

1. Discrete PB / MW

2. Included Stand made for this product (not a generic x-stand, more like traditional digi piano stands.)

3. Flat top surface for mixing consoles and other studio electronics..

Now... the total cost of implementing these features would probably be around $200 a unit after developement and mass production.

Asking me to pay $1800 and leaving those things off the table is an absolute deal breaker for me and many other potential customers.

Your talking about a very small investment for a much higher return.

Simply saying "The vcp-1 design will not change" is the stupidest statement a company like Kawai can make. You have completely lost my interest, when you really had a great opportunity for a world class studio piece.

If Kawai is able to sell 1,000 of these units, they probably could have sold 5,000 if they would just take the time and effort to include the features we are asking for.

But, nope... they sit on their high horse because it's purely supposed to be a digital piano. So what we're left with is just gonna be another digital piano for a very small consumer base.

Congratulations to you, Kawai... you've made some terrible decisions on this one. And when you have the chance to make the design changes and earn yourself more profit, you simply refuse to.

How do you think that sits with those of us who look at this product and say, "wow, that could be something great. It's too bad the company is too foolish to listen to what we want and implement it. They could really make a lot of money on this."

So, yeah... you guys screwed the pooch.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vudoo ➡️
I also feel that by leaving out the pitch/mod and having a curved top are just plain bad design. According to Kawai James, some ''purist'' don't need pitch/mod but it's not like they are loosing sales by adding those features. As for the curved top, just plain dumb and useless design.
Agreed. What's wrong with putting a discrete pb / mw perhaps under a seamless push panel of some sort? That way the "purists" don't have to deal with seeing them....

...and yeah, the curved surface is a complete .

I mean, what do you have to gain by curving the surface like that? I can gaurantee it costs more to implement a curved surface than a flat one, and it's obvious based on our feedback that it was a poor decision.
Old 9th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Addixion, thank you for your comments.

To clarify, my saying "The VPC1 design is not going to change" is nothing to do with being on a supposed high horse, but more a reflection of the fact that the board has already entered production, and started shipping to Kawai distributors worldwide.

Kind regards,
James
x
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

To clarify, my saying "The VPC1 design is not going to change" is nothing to do with being on a supposed high horse, but more a reflection of the fact that the board has already entered production, and started shipping to Kawai distributors worldwide.

Kind regards,
James
x
So this means def no mod/pitch?

Just wondering as I'm in the market and as I've said (like quite literally almost everyone else) to buy this these two things are required for me.

This is not an emotional post- I'm truly just looking for precise information as to whether or not it's confirmed the product will NOT have mod/pitch.....so I can move on and buy something else.

Any info's appreciated.

Thx.
Scott
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addixion ➡️
This is a perfect example of how a company can be so close to a great product, and yet so far from one people are actually willing to buy.

I'm willing to bet that if Kawai would step off their high horse and actually LISTEN to what we are saying, they would sell at least 200% more of these units...

Let's go over the changes that need to be made :

1. Discrete PB / MW

2. Included Stand made for this product (not a generic x-stand, more like traditional digi piano stands.)

3. Flat top surface for mixing consoles and other studio electronics..

Now... the total cost of implementing these features would probably be around $200 a unit after developement and mass production.

Asking me to pay $1800 and leaving those things off the table is an absolute deal breaker for me and many other potential customers.

Your talking about a very small investment for a much higher return.

Simply saying "The vcp-1 design will not change" is the stupidest statement a company like Kawai can make. You have completely lost my interest, when you really had a great opportunity for a world class studio piece.

If Kawai is able to sell 1,000 of these units, they probably could have sold 5,000 if they would just take the time and effort to include the features we are asking for.

But, nope... they sit on their high horse because it's purely supposed to be a digital piano. So what we're left with is just gonna be another digital piano for a very small consumer base.

Congratulations to you, Kawai... you've made some terrible decisions on this one. And when you have the chance to make the design changes and earn yourself more profit, you simply refuse to.

How do you think that sits with those of us who look at this product and say, "wow, that could be something great. It's too bad the company is too foolish to listen to what we want and implement it. They could really make a lot of money on this."

So, yeah... you guys screwed the pooch.
My interest is just about all but lost, as well.

The way this was announced, feedback received, then 'product will not change' etc was a bit odd.

--

Strange business strategies. Comes off as very 'us vs them-ish'.

Scott
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Eh?
This was a new product announcement.
Not a prototype vaporware announcement.

How can you attack them for not changing a product they've already started shipping to dealers?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Kind regards,
James
x
Dear James,

first things first, thank you for being at the front here, entering a conversation with the endusers, much appreciated.

For a long time now I wish that "we" could have a direct impact in the design of such a high end controller, in other words before production kicks in and the product is delivered to the distributors.

I do believe this would have been a mutally beneficial exercise, increasing sales and customer satisfaction at the same time.

As for PB/MW, I said enough about it, but the design of the surface was just knew to me, and I must say OUCH... that hurts. The space around my main input keyboard is precious, very precious, as I do not wish to have a totally cluttered space, but at the same time need my most important control devices in reach at all times. Guess I am not too alone with my handling of this space.

Now, a dealbreaker it s not for me, but here is a suggestion. If you let us know the precise curvage and distances, perhaps there is a cheap way to have a top designed made of high end mouse mat material, antislip etc. Perhaps three or four, which then would cover the entire top if required. Just an idea...

What do you think?

Best
Georg
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That curved top is a deal breaker for me,
I use it to put my typing keyboard on for DAW and mouse as well...

I didn't realise the top was curved, the modwheel MISTAKE was step 1.. this has definately cancelled buying this.

It's amazing that majority of people have a problem with this, you watch... this product fails...
you know political polls?.... this reminds me how politicians ignore the polls... lose the race, never heard from again.

I want to remind KAWAI that yes this is a piano controller, WITHOUT SOUNDS... it is intended to trigger a laptop or desktop, people who tend to do that like to put their keyboards / laptops / mouses on top as they are normally in front of their computer. And... sometimes they like to also use their 'main controller of choice' to use a variety of libraries...

NO OFFENSE KAWAI, we are the customer, WE ARE AND ALWAYS WILL BE CORRECT
Old 9th February 2013
Sky
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I think this is spot on. The amount of feedback that the VPC1 has received (both positive and negative) suggests that there's a considerable amount of interest in this board, or at least something very similar to it.

Again, thanks for the feedback - both to yourself, and to everyone else participating in this thread.

Cheers,
James
x
Kawai definitely struck a nerve with this product. The keyboard community has been clamoring for a modern professional controller like the A80 and KX88 were back in the 1980s, but tailored to today's excellent VIs. The fact that Kawai acknowledges the VPC1 as its entry into the digital controller market suggests that they will listen to customers and refine the product in future versions.

In the meantime, the VPC1 may now be the only true professional 88-key piano player's controller on the market, curved top and lack of wheels and all. While some say they'll take their money elsewhere, in 2013 there is no 'elsewhere' for this type of product at this price point. Perhaps if the competition is paying attention, Kawai will see some serious competition from Yamaha, Roland or Korg in 2014?

Sky
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Even if Kawai were to decide on some modifications, it would take probably almost 2 years before that would make it to the stores. Times are long.

In the next few months, Kawai will get lot's of valuable feedback from new users and store owners. Myself and others here, may not even be their target market, and it's not 20 forum complaints that change stategies.

Who knows, maybe there are other boards coming from Kawai or others that will meet our desires.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorboy
So this means def no mod/pitch?
No, I'm afraid not.

In the six or so years that I have worked for Kawai, I am not aware of a product that has seen such a considerable hardware revision after a board had been launched. Adding pitchbend and modulation wheels would require the left cheekblock to be remodelled, and possibly even widened...then the board wouldn't be symmetrical, so you'd need to widen the right cheekblock also...then new top covers would need to be machined etc. It would be an expensive undertaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorboy ➡️
The way this was announced, feedback received, then 'product will not change' etc was a bit odd.
I apologise if I somehow gave you the impression that we were actively seeking feedback with a view to changing the product before launch. The fact of the matter is that the VPC1 units shown at the Kawai and Synthogy booths at NAMM were production models, not early prototypes - the board is complete, and ready to ship.

Your feedback is welcome and greatly appreciated, however as noted above, the VPC1 - in its current generation, at least - is not going to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorboy ➡️
Strange business strategies. Comes off as very 'us vs them-ish'.
It's not a strategy. Just a guy who works for a company, answering questions in his free time about a product he's closely involved with.

Cheers,
James
x
📝 Reply