Quantcast
NAMM: Kawai VPC1 Virtual Piano Controller - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM: Kawai VPC1 Virtual Piano Controller
Old 25th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Ok, here is a nice video, courtesy of Keyboard magazine, from the Namm floor about the VPC1 key action (brought over from another forum).. enjoy:
Keyboard plays the Kawai VPC1 piano controller at NAMM 2013 - YouTube

Wave1
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia_48 ➑️
Even if so, there are quite a few people who seem not happy with this.
What do you mean "not happy"? Maybe this isn't a product for you. There a tons of controllers that cost less, with all kinds of faders and buttons.

Edit: Thanks for the video. The mechanics seem well done. Kudos for the flat-top, low profile. Great for workstations.
Old 25th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Maybe I wasn't clear enough, sorry. I'm not looking for something that costs less. I'm also not looking for synth/cheaper weighted action. I was looking for a premium weighted action that has some essential controls onboard. I understand that this might not be the case with everyone else. But I also understand there are quite a few people who'd be happy to see these controls included and that might not buy this keyboard solely because of their omission.
For what it does,though, it does look great. A pity really that such a small and easy to implement feature didn't make it through.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks ➑️
What do you mean "not happy"? Maybe this isn't a product for you. There a tons of controllers that cost less, with all kinds of faders and buttons.

Edit: Thanks for the video. The mechanics seem well done. Kudos for the flat-top, low profile. Great for workstations.
You're welcome Jamwerks..

I just would like everyone to raise the voice on this forum (when they agree of course) that the intended classy design of this keyboard will only be complete with a matching stand. Kawai James mentioned earlier that he is gauging the demand for such an option, so here is our chance.

thanks,
Wave1
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I don't care about wheels, I already have plenty around the studio.
Kawai keyboard action is the best so this product appeals to me!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherscott ➑️
Apart from strictly piano players, I wonder how many people would have this as their only controller anyway. I'd still want an unweighted action for synth work, and I'd certainly have the wheels there, so really, I wouldn't miss them on a weighted 88.
Agreed
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wave1 ➑️
You're welcome Jamwerks..

I just would like everyone to raise the voice on this forum (when they agree of course) that the intended classy design of this keyboard will only be complete with a matching stand. Kawai James mentioned earlier that he is gauging the demand for such an option, so here is our chance.

thanks,
Wave1
+1. I'd prefer a nice stand to go with this.
Old 26th January 2013
Sky
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I get this product actually, having purchased an RD700NX as a controller because no professional level controller like the old KX88 (in its day) was available. At first I did not connect the RD700NX audio outputs into my system, and I bought it knowing that the missing wheels, AT, layers and zones would happen on a second 61-key synth action controller. So for approaching twice the likely street price of the new VPC1, I got a decent grand piano controller that's probably not quite as good for my intended purpose.

What about a standalone pitch / mod box? This doesn't have to be made by Kawai, so perhaps something by Doepfer? But really, why not a second semi-weighted synth just above the VPC1, with the necessary controller effects built-in for full orchestration? This would be akin to having just a grand piano and one synth available in the studio, which is a pretty nice combination imho. I won't jump on a VPC1 because my RD700NX is fairly new, but I would certainly consider one if I were buying now.

Sky
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

13 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I played it today. Very nice action indeed, works well with Ivory, pianissimos are effortless. But I still don't see who it will sell to at that price point....

It is VERY sexy, btw. If $$$ was no object, sheez....
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic ➑️
I played it today. Very nice action indeed, works well with Ivory, pianissimos are effortless. But I still don't see who it will sell to at that price point....
Folks who would have bought the MP10 at $2500 to do the same thing?

James
x
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
The action folks! That's the only thing that matters here - for me anyways
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
As a professional pianist who makes my living primarily as a session pianist / keyboardist it'd be worth it to bring this to sessions all week long regardless of the weight, that I know I'll only be laying piano on. Mod and pitch wheels don't concern me when it comes to laying solely piano stuff and it'd be worth the price for a super high quality piano keybed if it's the closest thing out there to a piano.

I'm speaking purely from a session standpoint and not gigging. Mod wheels wouldn't bother me because I have no need to fade in strings on a recording session and after owning various Nord products, if I know I'm going to be bending stuff I'd use a Nord because I'm spoiled by their pitch stick anyway which I use both for pitch bending and vibrato.

It's also a really attractive looking controller.

Regards,
Frank
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky ➑️

What about a standalone pitch / mod box? This doesn't have to be made by Kawai, so perhaps something by Doepfer? But really, why not a second semi-weighted synth just above the VPC1, with the necessary controller effects built-in for full orchestration? This would be akin to having just a grand piano and one synth available in the studio, which is a pretty nice combination imho. I won't jump on a VPC1 because my RD700NX is fairly new, but I would certainly consider one if I were buying now.

Sky
While perhaps off-topic for this thread a bit, that was the solution I came up with, finding no very-high quality weighted controller. I picked up a Roland FP-7f and an Akai MAX49 to get everything I wanted.

I was actually most interested in the Kawai MP-series but with only one (super sleazy) dealer in Montreal, it wasn't really an option.

This new controller looks great, but I too remain stunned they left out a pitch-bend and mod-wheel. If such a product existed - it would be a goto for a lot of users who use a single midi channel at a time (maybe with key-switched libraries), but who were pianists first and foremost and put that kind of key-response above all else. There are many.

At the same time, and as mentioned, a very high quality pitch-bend and mod-wheel box could alleviate some of the apprehension.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
it would feel weird to play sample libraries (other than piano) on a real weighted piano keyboard, that's what synths and other controllers are for and those have all the wheels one would need. imho as usual.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by riteup3 ➑️
it would feel weird to play sample libraries (other than piano) on a real weighted piano keyboard, that's what synths and other controllers are for and those have all the wheels one would need. imho as usual.
Not if you've been playing piano your entire life. imho as usual as well.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by riteup3 ➑️
I don't care about wheels, I already have plenty around the studio.
Kawai keyboard action is the best so this product appeals to me!
If the action is great (will try it out at NAMM tomorrow) then I'm in. I love my current Yamaha controller but this might be better.

As for mod wheel, I already love using this: VMeter: USB MIDI Touch Strip Controller & Display (or for pitch bend which I rarely use....or volume control etc. etc. etc.)
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman ➑️
Not if you've been playing piano your entire life. imho as usual as well.
I have to agree. I've been playing piano since I was a wee one. Weighted keyboards are where I'm at home. Nice to know others feel the same way.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey James,

Sign me up - I'll take one!

It's about time to replace the roland a-90ex. I just want to sit and play without a display or buttons or LEDs or anything other than a great action and this looks like it may be the one.

I'm in the 50% that doesn't care about the mod/pitch wheel - already have plenty of boards with those

Any hint if this will have preset curves for eastwest (soundsonline.com) Pianos ?
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Looks great, but I thought it was going to be the controller that a company finally does right, where they would create a controller that has a great action with wooden keys, no knobs and sliders, ect. However, I really cannot believe they call this a controller when they don't add a pitch and modwheel. Common, they are essential in any controller.

Looks like something I would buy. It's very close to what I've always wanted in a controller.

... but seriously. When is a company going to create a midicontroller that all of us can appeal to, with 88 weighted, wooden keys. Mod and pitchwheel, ect. It's really simple.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
completely ridiculous there is no mod wheel / pitch

a lot of library's use the mod wheel to change articulations...

I don't want to have a seperate keyboard in my studio just for a mod wheel when i'm using the controller lto trigger orchestral libraries etc... that use mod wheel to change articulation of that instrument

SOOOOOO STUPID
Old 28th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Really excited that something like this came out.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaeronn ➑️
Sign me up - I'll take one!
Cool.

It's about time to replace the roland a-90ex. I just want to sit and play without a display or buttons or LEDs or anything other than a great action and this looks like it may be the one.

I'm in the 50% that doesn't care about the mod/pitch wheel - already have plenty of boards with those

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaeronn ➑️
Any hint if this will have preset curves for eastwest (soundsonline.com) Pianos ?
Currently there is no approved touch curve for East West, however if the demand exists, we are happy to work with VI developers willing to join our program to prepare touch curves for additional packages.

Cheers,
James
x
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by laddie.music2 ➑️
completely ridiculous there is no mod wheel / pitch

a lot of library's use the mod wheel to change articulations...
Please understand that the VPC1 has been developed primarily for use with virtual piano packages.

Kind regards,
James
x
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I already posted this on the facebook.com/kawaivpc page, but just in case, here's a great video with keyboard legend Jordan Rudess playing the VPC1 (controlling Ivory II):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXgRJRnHFZU

Cheers,
James
x
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingbear ➑️

In the market for a new 88keys controller, this is hard news. Show me one virtual composer who does work only with Piano sounds, ok they might exist, but seriously most of us use extensive orchestral and / or hybrid libraries for composition, hence there is an inevitable need for modwheel and pitch controller. Take the spitfire audio libs, just as one example, you can not use this controller in the intended and meaningful way with them.

So pretty please KAWAI, do consider something to be able to expand with modwheel and pitch controller of same built quality.
Yes! This is EXACTLY what I was looking for.......BUT:

I will buy if it has a mod/pitch bend.

If it doesn't, I will not buy and have to find something as close as possible.

Tracking virtual piano & virtual strings (cello, etc) is a perfect example of why it would be a great addition.

For tracking piano this is ideal- but it would be a waste to buy this and then something else that's almost as good as far as the keys go but has mod/pitch for other instruments.

So in a sense- this controller only works with percussive instruments (piano, drums, etc).

It will work (ie compatible) with strings- but not the way I (and probably most) need it to work.

Cheers,

Scott
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawai James ➑️
Please understand that the VPC1 has been developed primarily for use with virtual piano packages.

Kind regards,
James
x
Hi James-

Just read this.

I really hope you guys reconsider or add an option to buy w. mod/pitch.

That's seriously EXACTLY what I've been searching for!! And from the looks of this thread it sounds like I'm not the only one.

And per my above post, I actually do use two controllers in my studio:

1. A Yamaha P-140 for piano
2. An Arturia 61 w. horrible plastic keys for strings, bass, etc. (I use it because it has the mod/pitch)

Having one controller for everything (without it being a NASA spaceship with onboard DAW, a million functions, etc) would be a dream!!

Thanks,

Scott
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destaana ➑️
Looks great, but I thought it was going to be the controller that a company finally does right, where they would create a controller that has a great action with wooden keys, no knobs and sliders, ect. However, I really cannot believe they call this a controller when they don't add a pitch and modwheel. Common, they are essential in any controller.

Looks like something I would buy. It's very close to what I've always wanted in a controller.

... but seriously. When is a company going to create a midicontroller that all of us can appeal to, with 88 weighted, wooden keys. Mod and pitchwheel, ect. It's really simple.
Couldn't agree more.

When I saw this under New Product Alerts I was so pumped!!! I thought I was for sure going to buy it!!

And I will if the pitch/mod option comes.

Scott
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawai James ➑️

Kind regards,
James
x
yeah i read that James,
The problem is that a ton of film composers including myself 'compose' on piano and reorchestrate with libraries after the fact with the same keyboard....

As you can tell, there is a lot of interest in this product... 2 mod wheels would be cheap to implement... you have already had a bunch of complaints about it,

to me, this will hold this product back from being a cult classic.

the fact it was designed for 'virtual libraries' already assumes people own libraries, most people who own libraries are using many different libraries, strings, piano, organs etc... this would be great as a b3 controller with mod wheel to change the speed of the rotary...

i've seen this before with high end products, these small things really, really, really Tick people off

Anyways, rant over, big mistake on kawai's part, finally they appreciate us virtual instrument guys, but then ommit somehting that would probably cost pennies to implement.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorboy ➑️
Hi James-

Just read this.

I really hope you guys reconsider or add an option to buy w. mod/pitch.

That's seriously EXACTLY what I've been searching for!! And from the looks of this thread it sounds like I'm not the only one.

And per my above post, I actually do use two controllers in my studio:

1. A Yamaha P-140 for piano
2. An Arturia 61 w. horrible plastic keys for strings, bass, etc. (I use it because it has the mod/pitch)

Having one controller for everything (without it being a NASA spaceship with onboard DAW, a million functions, etc) would be a dream!!

Thanks,

Scott
Precesely my point, if i buy this kawai, i'll have to buy some crappy little $150 controller just for it's mod wheel... it's messy and keeps my room messy, please Kawai, this thing will reach cult status if u add it believe me, library guys use mod wheels constantly, more so than pitch wheel.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Thank you for your comments guys - clearly a lot of passionate opinions out there about pitchbend/modulation wheels. I'll definitely be passing them on to the VPC team.

Just one thing I had to query though:

Quote:
Originally Posted by laddie.music2 ➑️
organs etc... this would be great as a b3 controller with mod wheel to change the speed of the rotary...
Sorry, I cannot agree with you there. I have a Nord Electro 3 sitting on top of an MP8II (soon to be replaced by a VPC1) at home. For acoustic piano and EPs, the MP8II action is gorgeous, but there's absolutely no way I'd consider playing organ on that action...unless I purposely wish to give my hands a work-out.

Just sayin'...

Cheers,
James
x
πŸ“ Reply