The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM: Kawai VPC1 Virtual Piano Controller
Old 14th June 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawai James ➑️
Hello Ben,

The VPC1 is currently sold by Sweetwater and Kraft, however I believe some Kawai piano dealers also stock this model, or will happily order it for customers expressing an interest.

My recommendation would first be to use the Kawai dealer locator at the link below:

Kawai - Official Site for the US and Canada

Enter your address or zip code, and the locator should display the closest Kawai dealer. I just tried 'Chicago' and found a store that appears to stock a good selection of acoustic and digital instruments.

The VPC1's 'RM3 Grand II' keyboard action is also found in the CA15 digital piano, however unfortunately this model is not sold in the US. Similar (but not exactly the same) keyboard actions can be found on the following models:

- MP10: 'RM3 Grand' keyboard action, only 2-sensor action, so inferior to the VPC1.
- CA95/CA65: 'Grand Feel' keyboard action, 3-sensor, but longer keys so superior to the VPC1.

In addition to visiting your local Kawai dealer, I would also recommend contacting Kawai America at the link below, as the representatives may be able to suggest alternative locations relatively nearby that stock the VPC1.

Kawai America - Dealer Locator

I hope this helps - best of luck with your search.

Kind regards,
James
x

Thanks for the reply, James. I did try contacting the dealers listed on the Kawai site and they didn't have it available. I'll call them again and see if they stock any of the other models you've mentioned.

Thanks.
Old 15th July 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
ROLAND A-88 vs KAWAI VPC1 vs Doepfer LMK2+

Hi All,
I am trying to choose between: Kawai VPC1, Roland A88, Doepfer LMK2+, Or one of the Numa's.
Any ideas?
I'm not interested in portability as its for studio use only, I'm cool with or without Modwheel etc as I can just connect another controller with those functions. Its all about the playability and how realistic the keys are.
The other factor is that I can get a Roland a88 for around 700 so thats a good few hundred off the price of the Kawai.
Thanks in advance.
Kyle
Old 15th July 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Kyle,

The Roland, Doepfer, and Numa boards have an advantage over the VPC1 in that they offer addition buttons and the control wheels. However, if keyboard realism is your first priority, the VPC1 is undoubtedly the superior board.

700 (GBP or USD?) for the A88 is a pretty good deal, however if you want the best currently available, I'd spend the extra and get the Kawai.

Obviously I'm biased an everything, but that's my honest opinion...

Cheers,
James
x
Old 15th July 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi James,
Thanks for your speedy response.
Yeah the Roland is now like Β£725 GBP.
The other question I ask myself is regarding after touch. The Doepfer has it, the Kawai and Roland do not.
Old 15th July 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
And also need to think what Digital Pianos with midi capabilities are at the same quality as the VPC1 at the same or under that price bracket.
Old 15th July 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Kawai has not developed any instruments that support after touch for many years.

Regarding digital pianos with MIDI capabilities, this is one route you may chose to pursue. The CA15, for example, features an identical keyboard action to the VPC1, in addition to the onboard sounds, speakers, cabinet etc.

Kind regards,
James
x
Old 15th July 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi,
Thanks James,
The CA13 does look like an excellent choice.
Is it possible to get my hands on the software that comes with the vpc1 (custom aftertouch etc) and run the ca13 through it?
Old 15th July 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
The CA13 is an older model - the CA15 utilises the latest action and sound technology.

The custom touch curves, editor functionality etc. are a VPC-only feature.

Kind regards,
James
x
Old 17th July 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
What's the shipping weight of this instrument? It isn't in the specifications.
Old 17th July 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Hello Elix,

The VPC1 itself weight 29.5 kg / 65 lbs.

I do not have the exact shipping weight of the carton box to hand, however I expect it adds another 2.5 kg / 5 lbs. or so - I can double check the exact weight for you tomorrow.

My colleague has confirmed that the VPC1 carton box is 38.5 kg / 85 lbs.

Please note, however, that the vendor may also decide to add extra packaging material when shipping.

Kind regards,
James
x
Old 17th July 2013
Lives for gear

This seems superfluous. Midi is not a great protocol for piano - too much latency. It seems most of the benefit of escapement is lost in the latency.
Old 17th July 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Bullseye, I'm afraid I do not understand your post.

Did you perhaps intend to reply to a different thread?

James
x
Old 17th July 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks! I'm really interested in the exact shipping weight. Also, it is written now on the webpage that VPC1 may be used with external mod/pitch midi controller. However, I noticed VPC1 has only one MIDI in. Does it mean this controller and F-30 triple pedal can't be used simultaneously?
Old 17th July 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Elix, am I correct in thinking your interest in the shipping weight is due to importing the VPC1 from another country?

To answer your query, the VPC1 has one MIDI In connector, however this should not impair your usage of an additional controller as the F-30 triple pedal connects using the two pedal jacks, not MIDI.

Kind regards,
James
x
Old 17th July 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
That's a relief, James. And yes, you guessed correctly. Please note, however, I am not a US resident.
Old 17th July 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Australia?
Old 17th July 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Why, was I writing upside-down? :D I updated my profile. Now am I correct in thinking you want to talk me out of importing the VPC1?
Old 17th July 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Ah, sorry about that...it seems that many of the people I speak with wishing to import a VPC1 from the US are based in Australia.

While I do not wish to talk you out of importing a VPC1 from overseas, I would always recommend purchasing an instrument from a local distributor/dealer. Grand Mystery are based in central Moscow and stock most current generation Kawai models. The VPC1 is not listed on their website, however it may be possible for them to order a unit upon receiving your request.

Kind regards,
James
x
Old 17th July 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thank you for pointing out a dealer (although I thought the dealer was SLAMI). If you knew the pricing policies of Russian companies you'd understand me. Of course I'd try to buy it locally first but I expect the price to be 30-50% higher than I would buy it abroad and ship it myself.
Old 17th July 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Again, I would recommend contact Grand Mystery via the link below:

Kawai

It may be true that local pricing is more expensive than in other parts of the world, however I expect the same is true for a range of consumer products manufactured overseas.

Kind regards,
James
x
Old 18th July 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Elix, my colleague has confirmed that the VPC1 carton box is 38.5 kg / 85 lbs.

Kind regards,
James
x
Old 18th July 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks a lot!
Old 17th August 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Hi James,

Any news on a Mac compatible software version?

I was wondering about the pedals. Perhaps you can answer that. Are they the same size as I would find them on the EX for example, or are they smaller?

What about daily multiple hours treatment? Sturdy enough to withstand that?

Can they be programmed?

Thanks.
Old 18th August 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Hello Bear,

I do not have any more news about the VPC Editor for Mac at this time.

Regarding the pedals, no I do not believe the pedals are the same size as an EX concert grand.

I'm not sure about your others questions: 'daily multiple hours treatment' - are you asking if the VPC1 can be played daily? If so, I'm fairly confident that it can. The instrument is well built, with a metal and wood construction, and is therefore very sturdy.

Finally, the MIDI CC# for the three pedals can be changed beyond the standard sustain, sostenuto, and soft functionality. However, this will require the VPC Editor.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x
Old 21st August 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawai James ➑️
Hello Bear,

I do not have any more news about the VPC Editor for Mac at this time.

Regarding the pedals, no I do not believe the pedals are the same size as an EX concert grand.

I'm not sure about your others questions: 'daily multiple hours treatment' - are you asking if the VPC1 can be played daily? If so, I'm fairly confident that it can. The instrument is well built, with a metal and wood construction, and is therefore very sturdy.

Finally, the MIDI CC# for the three pedals can be changed beyond the standard sustain, sostenuto, and soft functionality. However, this will require the VPC Editor.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x
Yes, it does, thanks James.

Yeah I meant the daily torture if one chooses to rehearse scriabin etudes or similiar.
Old 21st August 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingbear ➑️
Yeah I meant the daily torture if one chooses to rehearse scriabin etudes or similiar.
Kawai products have a reputation for quality, and the VPC1 is certainly no exception - it's built to last.

Cheers,
James
x
Old 8th January 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
OSX compability

Hi James
Is there any news on OSX compability? Are you guys working on it or is it just something that you want but haven't really started on developing yet?
Old 10th January 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preen ➑️
Hi James
Is there any news on OSX compability? Are you guys working on it or is it just something that you want but haven't really started on developing yet?
First, it's perhaps worth noting that the VPC1 itself is fully compatible with OS X - just plug in via USB or standard MIDI and play.

The 'VPC Editor' software however remains Windows only. An OS X version is definitely in development, however I'm afraid I cannot go into further detail at this point.

May I please ask you to wait until NAMM for more information.

Kind regards,
James
x
Old 10th January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Would it work with Parallels desktop (running windows xp/7/8)?
Old 10th January 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp ➑️
Would it work with Parallels desktop (running windows xp/7/8)?
It might well do, however I don't believe it has been tested.
I gather that a customer was able to use the editor by booting into Windows via Bootcamp, so it's possible.

Fingers crossed these work-arounds will not be necessary in the near future though...

Cheers,
James
x
πŸ“ Reply