The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Engl-Ampsimu by Brainworx! --> NAMM
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcecil ➡️
So, it purposefully has the sound like someone is laying on a mattress which is on top of the cabinet/speakers?

Is it possible to get it to sound open?
Yep it can sound open. It blew me away. I actually thought "game changer" when I walked away from it. I have guitar rig 4, amplitube 3 (soldano head was my fav) and waves solo and these sound like toys in comparison.

This is my stuff in case you want a ref re my usual tones:

Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefyn ➡️
Yep it can sound open. It blew me away. I actually thought "game changer" when I walked away from it. I have guitar rig 4, amplitube 3 (soldano head was my fav) and waves solo and these sound like toys in comparison.

This is my stuff in case you want a ref re my usual tones:

Is this really a high gain only sim? There are tons of high gain sims but good clean tones are rare. Amplitube beats all ITB sims for me in that regard, but it's time for the next level to surface.
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
ENGL Ironball 20W

Very cool, I'm not sure how I missed this amp simu when I was at the ENGL booth. One thing I was actually really impressed with though was their new ENGL Ironball 20W. I'm seriously considering buying it after the demo I did... it has a really consistent sound for metal, post-rock, hard rock type of stuff, which I happen to play all the time.

I haven't spent the time to figure out what tubes are in it but they have both the crunch/drive and the ability to clearly hear each note played simultaneously, which is something I've had to do a lot of tube swapping to achieve in my current amp. Sounds huge considering the small package.

Here's the vid:
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 ➡️
Is this really a high gain only sim? There are tons of high gain sims but good clean tones are rare. Amplitube beats all ITB sims for me in that regard, but it's time for the next level to surface.
Amplitube is a toy compared to rockrack
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc No ➡️
Did you tried the Slash models in AmpliTube Custom Shop ?

They are great sounding, and don't get me wrong, I like bx_rockrack (waiting for the BASS version).
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
What ENGL heads are present? Is it just Powerball and such, or does it feature Savage and similar options?
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Is this your opinion even WRT clean tones?
Old 7th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
That clip does not sound like a sim at all but a miked up amp. I demoed rockrack and loved it but not enough to pull the trigger. This sounds like a must have. I need more info and a price!
Old 7th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
IMHO all the mentioned ampsims (rockrack, amplitube, guitar rig, overloud TH-2) feel like toys compared to S-Gear and Revalver 3.5. Revalver needs lost of tweaking, but can sound really convincing and has the best hi-gain sounds when tweaked correctly. S-Gear is still by far the best ampsim as far as feel and sound are concerned and if you are into other styles apart from metal. S-Gear is great for classic rock, blues, jazz, fusion. It doesn't offer much quantity, but its quallity surpases others and the delay in S-Gear is a piece of art.

Unfortunately I don't trust Braniworx with ampsims. Rockrack is completely unusable for anything apart from german-metal style music IMHO.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min7sharp5 ➡️
I'm not certain that this will only be for UAD, at least according to this;

[NAMM] The Engl amps modeled by Brainworx news - Audiofanzine
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainrox ➡️
Wrong info. Sorry.
Would be interesting to know what part of the info is wrong. UAD2 or native?
Old 7th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex ➡️
IMHO all the mentioned ampsims (rockrack, amplitube, guitar rig, overloud TH-2) feel like toys compared to S-Gear and Revalver 3.5. Revalver needs lost of tweaking, but can sound really convincing and has the best hi-gain sounds when tweaked correctly. S-Gear is still by far the best ampsim as far as feel and sound are concerned and if you are into other styles apart from metal. S-Gear is great for classic rock, blues, jazz, fusion. It doesn't offer much quantity, but its quallity surpases others and the delay in S-Gear is a piece of art.

Unfortunately I don't trust Braniworx with ampsims. Rockrack is completely unusable for anything apart from german-metal style music IMHO.
I own s-gear and love it. However, hi gain metal tones are not possible with s-gear. Rockrack is very usable from jazz to metal and everything in between.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Agreed 150%
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrawk ➡️
I own s-gear and love it. However, hi gain metal tones are not possible with s-gear. Rockrack is very usable from jazz to metal and everything in between.
I am sorry to say, but despite the last update I really find it awful for anything besides metal. Only for sterile jazz clean maybe, but definitely for nothing in between. For blues, classic rock, indie, fusion etc it is not usable, while S-Gear excells there. Also pick attack is nothing like I get when I am using my amps...or S-Gear.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I agree that that Amplitube and Revalver are toys comparable to Rockrack. For Jazz,blues and rock.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by qvplite ➡️
Very cool, I'm not sure how I missed this amp simu when I was at the ENGL booth.
I was a bit confused as to who's booth it was. I thought at first it was a Universal Audio booth, but the main UA booth was a lot bigger.

I didnt even know they did ampsims, which is why it made a huge impression on me. The last time I was that impressed was with the Kemper last year.
Old 8th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I am sorry to say, but despite the last update I really find it awful for anything besides metal. Only for sterile jazz clean maybe, but definitely for nothing in between. For blues, classic rock, indie, fusion etc it is not usable, while S-Gear excells there. Also pick attack is nothing like I get when I am using my amps...or S-Gear.
You don't have to be sorry, that's just your opinion, and that's all it is, your opinion. Which does not mean your right. Guitar tones, like any other tones, or sounds are subjectively good or bad. I love s-gear, but I can't achieve good heavy tones with s-gear, and personally find some of the tones too smooth and geriatric. However, that is just my opinion, which like yours, doesn't mean squat to anyone else but me.
Old 9th February 2013 | Show parent
Deleted 09ad95d
Quote:
Must disagree here... I knew nothing about brainworx or rockrack before watching the Engl ampsim demo on Engl's site, and Marco was playing some very mellow stuff that I thought sounded fantastic.

I was *this close* to pulling the trigger on an Axe-FXII (I can't mic amps in my current living situation) because I've never been happy with any sims, and an Axe-FX would completely blow most my of project studio budget. The Engl sim is the first software solution I've heard that has definitely given me hope, and I'm not a 'German metal' guy.

Listening to the track Dirk, Eric and Igor recorded for the bx_rockrack demo also left me very impressed. I'm cautiously optimistic as I'd like to hear more clean tones and actually demo it myself.

One thing that struck me by watching these videos is that Dirk *loves* what he's doing. I can totally see me having a beer with him at a Maiden concert (alas, I cut my mullet 20 years ago). He has passion and joy for this, so if the demo plays well I'd spend the $250 despite the cost.

Like the others, I'd like to know if the Engl sim with be coming to the UAD/Apollo platform, as I might be buying one before the Apollo promotion ends next month.
Old 13th February 2013
Deleted 09ad95d
Bump. Because I got the $ and I'm ready to buy.
Old 13th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
This is the first sim that I actually know I need.

http://youtu.be/JhnBLmNwIHo
Old 13th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
This is the first sim that I actually know I need.

Engl-TV Marco Wriedt and the new Engl Brainworx plugin - YouTube
Can't wait for this thing to be released. No matter what genre you're after, Brainworx makes quality plugs, that's for sure.
Old 14th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I saw there are only two heads. Oh well
Old 14th February 2013
Deleted 09ad95d
Just saw this on an unofficial UA fan forum:

Engl Amp plug-in coming exclusively to the UAD2/Apollo
Old 14th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger ➡️

Sh*t.
Old 14th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If Its exclusive to UAD...

I guess we Native folks will have to hope Fabrice Gabriel tries his hand at guitar amp simulation, so we can have mind-blowing emulations...
Old 15th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger ➡️

That forum is linked directly from the UA website - so it IS official, as far as the forum goes, but that's not a post from UA as far as I can tell.
Old 15th February 2013 | Show parent
Deleted 09ad95d
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreRec ➡️
That forum is linked directly from the UA website - so it IS official, as far as the forum goes, but that's not a post from UA as far as I can tell.
It is linked, but it's not official in the sense it's being hosted/moderated by actual UA employees. It used to be http://www.studionu.com but now redirects to uaforums.com. It was only recently linked by UA... it's run by a regular joe lunchbox kind of fan named Matt Hepworth. A cool courtesy extended by UA, something that most companies won't do.
Old 8th April 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
So,is this thing ever going to be released?
Old 13th April 2013
Gear Addict

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'm hoping any day now... Plugin-Alliance said "Very Soon" on Facebook.
Old 13th August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Out now in UAD 7.2
Old 13th August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'll be checking out the new UAD amps, but must disagree with the general consensus that Amplitube Slash and TH-2 Lynchbox sound like toys.
📝 Reply