🎧 5 years
Waves: Element

Synthesizer Plugin Virtual Instrument - Element | Waves

hmmm. Interesting.

Old 3rd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Nice!

Yeah, just saw this in my facebook feed. Went to their site and checked out the couple of demos they had posted. Sound quality is nice... would like to hear some more experimental music in the demos, but from my short visit, I'm liking the thickness/clarity ratio that this has going for it.

Will have to listen some more. Price looks right. $99 if I read correctly. At that price, could be a no-brainer... Hmmmm.....
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Interesting, it reminds me Sylenth1.
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
When you go to the Waves website guess who's pimping it.......none other than Jordan Rudess.........does he have any credibility left?

Old 3rd January 2013
Reviews Editor

Great, another VA copycat is just what I need.
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Mmmh, who needs it? Looks like Gladiator 2 from Tone2.( cheaper)

http://www.tone2.com/html/gladiator_...ynthesize.html

And for the price you get (e.g.) u-he's Zebra 2, Diva or Ace. (The last two cheaper too.)
The best new innovative and great sounding Softsynth in the past was u_he's Diva.(for me)
Anyway, will say...not for me...so much Softsynths meanwhile....enough....
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I wondered when Waves was going to get into the VSTi market. looks like nothing special to me, but the website seams very slow ATM especially the video.
Old 3rd January 2013
t_d
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
can someone explain why the world needs another 2osc subtractive synth plug in with little step sequencer?
Old 3rd January 2013 | Show parent
Reviews Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d ➑️
can someone explain why the world needs another 2osc subtractive synth plug in with little step sequencer?
Because it's made by Waves, a company with huge experience in...nevermind.

Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Nothing wrong with that I think. They are trying to get closer to the analog sound I guess. Still lots of room for improvement with synth plugs.

Playing with the demo, I must say that I donΒ΄t like the sound much though. Strange artificial high end thing going on. Like digitally overdriven. On some stuff it works, but on most sounds not. Reminds me of the Mini Brute which is analog, but not my taste either...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind-Over-Midi ➑️
When you go to the Waves website guess who's pimping it.......none other than Jordan Rudess.........does he have any credibility left?

Bingo.
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I like it, that's $99 I won't spend.
A.
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
And what about CPU usage ?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Haha! I just posted about the same thing over in the Electronic Instruments thread. Once I saw that over-enthusiastic JR banner, I didn't even bother clicking on the sound demos -- seriously, he hawks EVERY new product!
Old 3rd January 2013
OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Odd, harsh, congested sound... At least on the demos.
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'll pass. Waves should stick with plugs FX period unless they come up with some revolutionary sounding synth sounds.
Old 3rd January 2013
Reviews Editor

I'd rather have Waves doing a Filterbank clone than this.
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I like it. Seems to be a little dirtier and more daring than some of the maaaaany other VA softsynths out there. Sub Bass seems thin, but it can get quite mean sounding. A bit like Massive? Disclaimer: I only tried it for 5 minutes...

I already got return on my investment into WUP four days ago. Not to mention going from v6/7 to V9 as well.

Waves Mercury - the gift that keeps on giving.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:

from the look on his face I thought at first waves made a lollypop
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Have you ever noticed where the link below takes you? It's been that way for a long time, too. Anyway, it's about time they put out a synthesizer.

synthesizer.com: Audio Plugins for Mixing, Mastering & Recording | Waves
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nah. Gave it a try. The oscillators sound muffled, dark, distant, even with the filter fully open. Lovely interface and features though.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

no!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
just what the world needs
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i actually thought this one sounds pretty good, played with demo for a bit. 96k in 32 bit Logic, 2008 Mac Pro. even CPU usage seemed reasonable, playing 8 voices, about 3/4 of 1 core. but then as i was playing around with only 1 osc and Distortion + Crusher FX set to PRE, i got a major loud zapping sound that almost blew up my ear. either it's a logic problem or plugin problem, but every time I play with softsynths, this crap happens.
P.S. I can't reproduce the glitch, which is even more frustrating.
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Muffled yet harsh? Sounds like the dream! Hahaha! The interface remind me of a TAL synth. I'll give it a listen anyway.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Head ➑️
Mmmh, who needs it? Looks like Gladiator 2 from Tone2.( cheaper)

Tone2, Synthesizer, Free, Download, The Best, Top10, Audiounit, Plugin, Effect, VST, AU , Audio, Sound, Music, Mp3, PC, Mac, Sound, Presets, Patches, Samples, Cubase, Steinberg

And for the price you get (e.g.) u-he's Zebra 2, Diva or Ace. (The last two cheaper too.)
The best new innovative and great sounding Softsynth in the past was u_he's Diva.(for me)
Anyway, will say...not for me...so much Softsynths meanwhile....enough....
I use Gladiator every day. This looks nothing like it. Signal flow we don't really know about, but from what I see here this looks to be more of a traditional 2 OSC synth with classic waveforms.

Gladiator is a selection of boutique waveforms where the program suggests that you morph through the waveform similar to a wavetable. Modulation starts early in the path for Gladiator.

Its just to say that comparing synths can't be done by looking at screenshots.
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I watched the demo video on Waves site, and it frikkin depressed me!

Who in the world thinks it's good marketing to show a bored guy slumped at his desk laboriously piecing together one push-button techno cliche on top of another? "Now I'll put in the kick drum.... CLICK CLICK CLICK ..now I'll add a high hat pattern CLICK CLICK CLICK now I will add a pad sound CLICK CLICK CLICK". Wow this music stuff sure looks like FUN hey kids??!!!

Ugh. I think I need to spend the afternoon watching Stevie Wonder vids on YouTube, or some SeX Pistols... Anything to remind me of what it used to be like before the point-n-click approach to groove-making came along.

On an unrelated front -- the synth sounds okay. Big whoop.
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'de say on the + side of things at least it will be properly supported , unlike many of theses pop up companies... that could go out of business any time leaving you stranded with a synth you can't update .... Sylenth anybody ?
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Haven't heard the audio demos yet, but I think it's a great UI. Assuming it sounds nice it could be a very good entry point for people new to subtractive synthesis. I've long recommended Sylenth1 to beginners, but this thing looks even more intuitive.
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gussyg2007 ➑️
I'de say on the + side of things at least it will be properly supported , unlike many of theses pop up companies... that could go out of business any time leaving you stranded with a synth you can't update .... Sylenth anybody ?
this is the biggest thing on waves. the good old q-series eq works after years!!!
πŸ“ Reply