The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neve 88r lb series 500
Old 14th March 2013 | Show parent

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks ➡️
It has input and output transformers
Neve describes this unit as having an electronically balanced output rather than transformer. Also, only one transformer is visible. Are you sure it has an output transformer?
Old 15th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LobCity ➡️
Neve describes this unit as having an electronically balanced output rather than transformer. Also, only one transformer is visible. Are you sure it has an output transformer?
No you're right no output transformer.

It SOUNDS like it has a LOT of transformers lol

It sure doesn't have a modern "clean" sound to me, it's very fat and thick.

TH
Old 23rd March 2013 | Show parent

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
No you're right no output transformer.

It SOUNDS like it has a LOT of transformers lol

It sure doesn't have a modern "clean" sound to me, it's very fat and thick.

TH
No doubt. I want to capture some of that huge and polished Disney/Pixar Bryan Adams/Elton John type soundtrack quality which is why this piece has my interest. I wonder if anyone can comment as to how accurately it resembles the modules of the board it is said to come from. I want to get some of this AMS love, and it seems the 1073LB is not favored in comparison to other 1073 types. But this unit seems attractive.
Old 23rd March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LobCity ➡️
No doubt. I want to capture some of that huge and polished Disney/Pixar Bryan Adams/Elton John type soundtrack quality which is why this piece has my interest. I wonder if anyone can comment as to how accurately it resembles the modules of the board it is said to come from. I want to get some of this AMS love, and it seems the 1073LB is not favored in comparison to other 1073 types. But this unit seems attractive.
I think the 1073LB is supposed sound very good, it just doesn't sound like the real deal when it's hit really hard. I very seldom do that so it might have been fine for me, though it is supposed to be darker than this is, which is why I passed on it. Don't forget a real 1073 module has EQ to die for, and these pres don't.

The lo cut on this unit works very well though, especially on things like acoustic guitar, etc.
Old 2nd May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Has anyone tested this module, some audio files, between 88rlb/1073.. vocals,guitars etc. ? before buying, i need just more info, if somebody has this module, i will be grateful to share more info
Old 22nd May 2013

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Oceantracks, how does this pre compare to the API 512C... and if you've used it, the Shadow Hills Mono GAMA?
Old 22nd May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mark I don't the Shadow Hills but I've owned the 512c.

This Neve is very large sounding. To me, it's rather dark, I don't care what they say about it being a more modern take on things, recording a female vocal through it definitely requires EQ in the mix. Very thick.

Bass DI through it is really nice, and even though it's a bit on the dark side it does make acoustic guitars pretty big and full, even with the lo cut engaged. It just doesn't have the high end lift that I hear with the API.

The API is much more radio friendly without lots of EQ, very clear and punchy, the answer is you need both

They really would complement each other very well!
Old 22nd May 2013 | Show parent

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Mark I don't the Shadow Hills but I've owned the 512c.

This Neve is very large sounding. To me, it's rather dark, I don't care what they say about it being a more modern take on things, recording a female vocal through it definitely requires EQ in the mix. Very thick.

Bass DI through it is really nice, and even though it's a bit on the dark side it does make acoustic guitars pretty big and full, even with the lo cut engaged. It just doesn't have the high end lift that I hear with the API.

The API is much more radio friendly without lots of EQ, very clear and punchy, the answer is you need both

They really would complement each other very well!
When you describe it as dark, would you say it's like UA 610 kind of dark? I believe it was you that described going from the 610 to the 512C like taking a bed sheet — or something — off a mic, in terms of a newfound presence.
As a Gearslut, I know I need both; however, which do you find to be MOST important/versatile?
Also, essentially, is this pre just darker and more "beefy" and less punchy than the API 512C(s) you've owned?
Old 12th September 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockTheRoll ➡️
Do you or anyone else here know of any well-known (or well-known producers/engineers) projects that were tracked on an 88rs series?
Al Schmitt tracked Paul McCartney's 'Kisses on the Bottom' through an 88R.
Old 3rd October 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
are these similar to the 1081R from neve? there seems to be very little input on the 1081R.
Old 29th December 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenguan88 ➡️
are these similar to the 1081R from neve? there seems to be very little input on the 1081R.
Bump. I would love to hear someone's experience with both.
📝 Reply