MOTU Digital Performer v. 8 shipping - Page 6 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MOTU Digital Performer v. 8 shipping
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trock ➡️
Will DP 8 allow me to import a stereo wav file and split it into 2 mono files?

i sometimes work with loops that area click on the left and music on the right and i need to add to them so i need to split that file to 2 mono tracks

cubase does it on import to project

thanks
Yeah would like to know if you can do things that Pro Tools does such as commands like:

"Split into Mono"
or Audiosuite services like "Invert"

TH
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks ➡️
Tell you one thing, and may seem petty, but I'm really looking forward to the different skins.

Being able to put different songs and projects a different look that may actually be appropriate for the project could actually put me in a different mindset when working and mixing, silly as that sounds. Looking at the same interface no matter what you are doing is standard fare I know, but this business of doing music is certainly as much emotional as technical. I think it's a great idea.
I am also super excited about this feature!! Long time DP user here and I'm still on 4.6

Imagine going from 4.6 to 8 which is exactly what I'm about to do.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watersound ➡️
I am also super excited about this feature!! Long time DP user here and I'm still on 4.6

Imagine going from 4.6 to 8 which is exactly what I'm about to do.
Hey me too, that's the last version I had, and I haven't used it in years. I just did the upgrade. So hopefully it will be here soon and I'm really hoping I like it. Sure looks promising!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjji ➡️
Either DP makes a more CPU friendly reverb, the program itslef is more CPU friendly, or a combination of both. Very unscientific! Why did you not just download a free AU convolution reverb?
Because it makes more sense to compare DAWs with the internal plugs they come with. If the plugs in DP do the same while being more CPU friendly, that's a viable result.

Don't get me wrong, I like Logic, it costs significantly less for what it offers, has more synths, more loops, etc.

And performance tests only make sense when you run into the limits with your own projects. I would not base the decision on which DAW to choose on it...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hey me too, that's the last version I had, and I haven't used it in years. I just did the upgrade. So hopefully it will be here soon and I'm really hoping I like it. Sure looks promising!
When you get it, come back and answer some questions. Thanks.
kdm
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by biomuse ➡️
MOTU's design philosophy is never to make a feature whose behavior closes off options - it's an open-ended, sandbox philosophy that lets you quickly define constraints that work for you (instead of against you) as you build the song. Want regions? They're easily defined and redefined as you go. Don't want them? Don't ask for any and they won't get in your way.
Thanks for the reply. I find it always helps to learn each DAW's intended method of working rather than simply comparing features, so I appreciate it when I hear an explanation of workflow approach rather than just comparing feature lists.

Is there any way to assign key commands to view filter presets? i.e. recall CC1, 2, and 11, but hide everything else, or just recall a single CC? I know I can have the view filter open to access/mouse click, and that's fine; or perhaps I'll find another approach that saves time elsewhere and doesn't require these specific key commands.
Old 30th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've recently read somewhere that Avid MC controllers (MC Transport, etc.) aren't supporting DP8.

Can anyone confirm this?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence ➡️
When you get it, come back and answer some questions. Thanks.
OK yes I'll post up here after I've spent some time with it and give some feedback....thanks
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology ➡️
Because it makes more sense to compare DAWs with the internal plugs they come with. If the plugs in DP do the same while being more CPU friendly, that's a viable result.

Don't get me wrong, I like Logic, it costs significantly less for what it offers, has more synths, more loops, etc.

And performance tests only make sense when you run into the limits with your own projects. I would not base the decision on which DAW to choose on it...
S, do you use the convo reverb in DP a lot? They sell it separately, so I would assume it is pretty good. How do you like it?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks ➡️
I've recently read somewhere that Avid MC controllers (MC Transport, etc.) aren't supporting DP8.

Can anyone confirm this?
Don't know, never used them. I'd be surprised if that were true.

But you should ask this question over on motunation.com, I know there are a fair number of Euphonix users.
Looks like Dave Das still has an MC Mix hooked up to his rig in the video halfway down this page, and that's a DP8-only theme.
MOTU.com - Features
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjji ➡️
S, do you use the convo reverb in DP a lot? They sell it separately, so I would assume it is pretty good. How do you like it?
I have DP6, which has the earliest version of ProVerb. Managing 3rd party IRs was really awkward with that version. As far as I know, it has improved in DP7, I'll know more when DP8 arrives (that may be another 2 weeks here in Europe..).
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I have DP6, which has the earliest version of ProVerb. Managing 3rd party IRs was really awkward with that version. As far as I know, it has improved in DP7
Confirmed. Just drop your IR folder/s onto Proverb in DP7, imports without a hitch.
Old 1st October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well certainly keep us posted, excited to see what you think!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I wasn't aware of that, cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by projektk ➡️
pro tools 10 has a 30 day trial now for either the standard or CPTK version of the software.

Sent from my LG-P925
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hmm looks very interesting.
I switched from Logic to Studio One v2 but have been missing a score editor, and the comping in S1 is a real PITA.
I don't really want to be the guy who keeps switching DAWs but this looks very tempting, I'll keep my eye on it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Two different reverbs aren't "doing the same", maybe they might sound the same to you but that's not a real comparison. Not to mention that DAWs generally come with a number of reverbs and their cpu use will vary widely - in the case of Logic, space designer uses the most CPU by far, with the lightest reverb it may get more than you saw from DP.

So it would be a great test to do, but only using the same plugins on both app.
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Can you use external hardware inserts as plugins like you can in pt and logic? I also wonder if there were any audio engine improvements with this version, I never liked the sound of dp's summing (love everything else about it though).
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence ➡️
Anyway, you can always tell a long time "exclusive" user from the way they talk about stuff that's pretty common these days, like buying a DAW and having access to the Win & OSX versions by default, nothing all that special about that really.
talk about passive aggression!

there is something to be said about being "exclusive"

you waste less time

you spend less money

reason being, it just works, because if it doesn't why stay?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➡️
I never liked the sound of dp's summing (love everything else about it though).
TEST: 5 DAWs 5 MBP Optical O/P.
Old 1st October 2012
jac
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Can you use external hardware inserts as plugins like you can in pt and logic? I also wonder if there were any audio engine improvements with this version, I never liked the sound of dp's summing (love everything else about it though).
I'm also interested on this...
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➡️
Terrific!

Psyched.

- c
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➡️
No. Boxed only for MOTU. Also: no pdf manual. Book only. That's their steez.

It's not a big deal, though. You just have to wait a few days.

- c
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankymax ➡️
My favorite DAW just got better!! I'm so happy!
Looking forward to getting into the newest DP here.
getting close to upgrading my computer, i hate doing this but the time as come. gives me an excuse to upgrade my older DP to new: )
Old 2nd October 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by biomuse ➡️
Yep, and I always have had the exact opposite feeling about it, as have many of my peers (some who have used it since the beginning). Also, things really change when you start adding plugins/summing in DP. Only god and motu know why. But as I said I love everything else about it, it's like the best combination of logic an pt functionally. It just sounds worse than both of them to me.
Old 2nd October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yep, and I always have had the exact opposite feeling about it, as have many of my peers (some who have used it since the beginning). Also, things really change when you start adding plugins/summing in DP. Only god and motu know why. But as I said I love everything else about it, it's like the best combination of logic an pt functionally. It just sounds worse than both of them to me.
https://gearspace.com/board/1857341-post38.html
Old 2nd October 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
It was confirmed that MOTU will give you a refund within 30 days, so you have that time to try it.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist ➡️
I don't know if DP8 even needs a downloadable demo. A plugin, yes, but for such a large software..... I don't recall Pro Tools ever having a demo....
10-12 years back PT had 8ch version for free.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Plus now they have a 30 day demo.

Pro Tools 10 Trial - Get Your 30-Day Free Pro Tools Trial
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can you use external hardware inserts.
Any comment on this? How does DP interface with hardware?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by henge ➡️
I've never needed to do this but, again, I'd bet an arm you can do it. Ask on motunation.com. Outboard users aplenty.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by henge ➡️
Simply create an aux track and assign it to any of the interface outs, and create an aux return from any of the interface inputs.

If I want to patch in a hardware reverb, for example, I might have the individual channel sends assigned to buss 1/2. I create the aux and assign buss 1/2 as its inputs, and MADI 23/24 as its output, which goes out to the hardware. Then I make another aux and assign its inputs to be wherever the hardware is coming back in from, and assign it's outputs to my 2-buss, or whatever.

Since the auxes have plugin slots just like a regular track, I could, for instance put a plugin compressor on the return aux, maybe an EQ and a de-esser on the send aux.

Instead of assigning the return aux outputs to the 2-buss, I could assign it to another set of physical outputs and send it outboard again! As long as there is enough I/O on the interface, your options are pretty limitless..
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killahurts ➡️
Simply create an aux track and assign it to any of the interface outs, and create an aux return from any of the interface inputs.

Instead of assigning the return aux outputs to the 2-buss, I could assign it to another set of physical outputs and send it outboard again! As long as there is enough I/O on the interface, your options are pretty limitless..
Dp doesn't automatically compensate for latency induced by this kind of D/A/D round-tripping. You have to use a latency plugin or measure the latency and nudge soundbites by the correct number of samples.

it's a pain to do hybrid mixing that's for sure. but if you just want to use DP to feed a mixer/summing engine, with it's own aux sends and inserts, it's a piece of cake.
📝 Reply