Quantcast
MOTU Digital Performer v. 8 shipping - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MOTU Digital Performer v. 8 shipping
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Couple of questions ...

What sample library does it come with. How many GB's of instruments?

Are any plugins known to be incompatible - Does Waves v9 work - thats why a demo is good!

Have upgrades in the past been $200 - thats the price for logic pro full version.

Can you drag drop wav rex files from desktop onto the sequencer?

Can you drag drop effect chains around?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by eigens ➡️
Couple of questions ...

Are any plugins known to be incompatible - Does Waves v9 work - thats why a demo is good!

Have upgrades in the past been $200 - thats the price for logic pro full version.

I'm getting a creepy feeling from looking at all the videos that there is no way to darken the main background of DP from that glaring white. No matter what new skin they show, the main editing window IS REALLY WHITE. Ugh.

TH
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks ➡️
I'm getting a creepy feeling from looking at all the videos that there is no way to darken the main background of DP from that glaring white. No matter what new skin they show, the main editing window IS REALLY WHITE. Ugh.

TH
Not at all. Take a look, and you'll see everything from white through light colors to almost black as the main background:

15 new themes in DP8 - YouTube
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Couple of questions ...

Not many sampled instruments; very basic. Serviceably good basic synths ( I especially like the bass synth). DP does not come with a "does it all" GM starter kit like Logic. It's all about the DAW itself and its effects.

Quote:
Don't know, I'm still on 7/8. But the newly included effects with DP8 have taken a chunk out of some of Waves' formerly essential duties. Dynamic Equalizer, Precision Delay and Spatial Maximizer will likely cover the better part of the Masters Bundle and InPhase's functionality. MOTU is serious about its internal effects and they have tended to be world class.

Quote:
Not always. Varies depending on what's on offer. That is towards the high end historically. Paid updates are pretty widely spaced; I certainly haven't felt squeezed for money by MOTU.

Quote:
Yep.

Quote:
Yep. You can save, recall, and organize them as chains as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by biomuse ➡️
No midi stuff there AFAICS
Old 28th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
According to threads on Motunation (including posts from
MOTU reps), waves v9 is working fine in DP8.

Quote:
Well, I guess you cannot quite compare. Logic has no upgrade price so it will be $199 when a new version comes out. $4 more than DP! Give it enough updates and DP will be cheaper
$195 has been the price for the last several upgrades.
Historically, MOTU has been putting out free .1 and .2 releases that sometimes includes big enough updates they could almost warrant a whole new version number.

Quote:
Effects, yes. Effect chains I've never tried. You can certainly save and recall them that way.
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist ➡️
I don't know if DP8 even needs a downloadable demo. A plugin, yes, but for such a large software..... I don't recall Pro Tools ever having a demo.

I've got mine on the way, can't wait to get back to that platform!
pro tools 10 has a 30 day trial now for either the standard or CPTK version of the software.

Sent from my LG-P925
Old 28th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Can you mute individual midi notes in DP8´s "piano roll" editor?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiogal ➡️
No Demo but plenty of options to buy DP8 cheaper if you have another DAW already
Taken from MOTUs home page:

Digital Performer 8 upgrade from competing product (Like: ProTools, Cubase, logic, Samplitude)
$395.00

Digital Performer 8 upgrade from AudioDesk (All those having MOTU hardware that included AudioDesk, that IS in fact a kind of "DP LE demo".)
$395.00

Digital Performer 8 upgrade from previous version of DP
$195.00

Digital Performer 8 upgrade from Performer
$295.00

Another great thing is that DP8 will be available both for Mac and PC. Those who buy DP8 for MAC will be eligibled the Windows version that will be out soon.
Feel the need to post my earlier post once again..

There are plenty of options to buy DP8 cheaper if you already own another (legal) DAW Look above..
If you buy DP8 you´ll get both the MAC and PC version.
DP8 can run in 32bit and 64bit.

Take a look at MOTUs homepage www.motu.com and at YouTube: motuTV - YouTube
MOTU is updating and will add new videos.

If you care about how DP sounds, please read this post from 15 November 2011 about DP, PT, Logic and Cubase.
https://gearspace.com/board/7234730-post1.html
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I like Motu's approach with either 32 or 64 bit instead of the bridge.
My guess is that the transition from 32 to 64 bit plugins has taken longer than eg Apple and Motu have anticipated.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Dan ➡️
I like Motu's approach with either 32 or 64 bit instead of the bridge.
My guess is that the transition from 32 to 64 bit plugins has taken longer than eg Apple and Motu have anticipated.
Wouldn't it be more functional to load DP in 32bit or 64bit as Motu have implemented and have a bridge. That way you can run 32bit plugins alongside 64bit plugins. Thats how Logic and Reaper do it.
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Do not know about Reaper, but i don´t like how it works in Logic
The bridge was probably best thought of as an emergency solution in the first place.

//Dan
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks ➡️
No midi stuff there AFAICS
Background color is uniform across the tracks and midi edit windows.
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
No real need for a bridge now with almost every being 64 bit
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Background color is uniform across the tracks and midi edit windows.
Well, at least I know how the colors are !!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d ➡️
but with forums, youtube videos and now a PDF manual, it should give people interested in DP plenty of ways to learn quite a bit about it without trying it.
I don't see the manual posted on their website, hopefully they'll put it up, especially if they don't plan on having a demo version.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalle789 ➡️
Can you mute individual midi notes in DP8´s "piano roll" editor?

Yes.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini Hill ➡️
Yes.
You can not mute midi notes (yet). It´s a function many DP users are asking for so MOTU has it on the users wish list.

DP an MIDI can be found on YouTube.. Google it or check the video tutorial companies.

MOTU.com - Digital Performer Training

HOW TO: Digital Performer

Digital Music Doctor - Pro Audio video tutorials for Audio Mixing & Mastering, Digital Arranging & Production, DigiDesign Pro Tools, Steinberg Cubase, Cakewalk Sonar, Sony Sound Forge, Apple Logic Pro, Ableton Live, FL Studio Fruity Loops, MOTU Digit

All DP tutorials are valid even if they´re not done for DP8, the functions are the same.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You can not mute midi notes (yet).
Well, yes and no - you can't from the Piano Roll view, but simply changing to Drum Grid view, which can be done instantly at any time with any midi sequence, gets you individual note muting, switchable quantizing and offset.

For that reason, I've never really understood this complaint by some DP users. I and, I would assume, most users, want individual note muting like that in the context of rhythmic, percussive, or loop type parts, for which the Drum Grid view is perfect.

So the answer is yes, in Drum Grid view; no, in Piano Roll view. Again, these are just views, not committed MIDI track types, so you can freely switch between them with one click for any MIDI track, whether it's percussive or not.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Just ordered the upgrade to DP8. I got tired of trying to get Reaper to rewire to Reason and never had this problem with DP. With my new Apollo Quad, I'm also not going to be lacking quality plugins.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Wouldn't it be more functional to load DP in 32bit or 64bit as Motu have implemented and have a bridge. That way you can run 32bit plugins alongside 64bit plugins. Thats how Logic and Reaper do it.
Yes especially love the semi-daily "The 32 bit bridge has unexpectedly quit. Restart the 32 bit bridge?" alert I get in Logic.

TH
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well, yes and no - you can't from the Piano Roll view, but simply changing to Drum Grid view, which can be done instantly at any time with any midi sequence, gets you individual note muting, switchable quantizing and offset.

For that reason, I've never really understood this complaint by some DP users. I and, I would assume, most users, want individual note muting like that in the context of rhythmic, percussive, or loop type parts, for which the Drum Grid view is perfect.

So the answer is yes, in Drum Grid view; no, in Piano Roll view. Again, these are just views, not committed MIDI track types, so you can freely switch between them with one click for any MIDI track, whether it's percussive or not.
Does DP allow you to merge midi regions? Sometimes I'll play a difficult piano part on several midi tracks, then at the end use the "join" feature of Logic to merge them all on one midi track, then bounce in place.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
All DP tutorials are valid even if they´re not done for DP8, the functions are the same.
Thanks for the links, but I hope there are enough new features in 8, that tutorials about 7 won't be valid anymore !!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks ➡️
Thanks for the links, but I hope there are enough new features in 8, that tutorials about 7 won't be valid anymore !!
Videos and info about DP8 new features are shown on
MOTU.com - What's New

And DON´T forget checking out this one
http://www.motu.com/products/software/dp/features.html

Enjoy
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks ➡️
Does DP allow you to merge midi regions? Sometimes I'll play a difficult piano part on several midi tracks, then at the end use the "join" feature of Logic to merge them all on one midi track, then bounce in place.
There is no "Merge MIDI Regions" menu command as such; but what you want to do is easily done just as quickly (if not moreso) in DP by using the Tracks overview window which is always visible and treats MIDI/Audio in quickly selectable blocks by default (although even that behavior is modifiable according to your preference).

In the Tracks window, click on your MIDI part and drag it to the target MIDI track where it will snap into alignment, merging with the content of the target track. Done. You can select the entire block, or by measure or even discontiguous regions to drag/merge, using shift-click.

Given DP's Track Folders feature, though, i'd question whether you would even want or need to merge the parts, since leaving them on two tracks makes editing easier should you decide to come back to that. You could make a track folder and just drop the two or more MIDI parts into that folder, and then open or close it to save space in the tracks window as needed. The part will be treated as one mute/playable track when the folder is closed, or as separate when it's open. Much easier and more flexible, with no loss of organization to your layout.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

That´s great Thanks!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Unfortunately without a demo I can't see if it's worth the plunge. MOTU can be an odd company sometimes.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar ➡️
I Totally hear you mate but i'm sorry to say again and I totally respect DP/MOTU to conserve their policy and ways they've been doing business about Copy Protection but I'm sorry mate, indeed, you can watch some videos and hear feedback from people and decide to say "you know what, gonna go by this DAW" right? I totally agree.

But ain't my thing, I don't buy a DAW and never bought a DAW before I tried it first. Thats a NO GO for me and I don't care how much someone tells me about it or show me videos etc... As long as I can NOT try it, won't buy it.

I remember way back with Magix, when they didn't have downloadable version or something like that, they at least where letting new USERS to RENT out & try their DAW. At least, and now Motu want me to go PAY 500$ to a daw that I used (by the way didn't owned back in the days, used it in a studio I used to work) and then if I happen to not like it, my 500$ just went away?

So Yes as you said mate, A DEMO version won't only make sense but is a MUST.

I'm sorry but I could put that $$$ somewhere else. And i'm sure i'm not the only one here especially Win users who are really and honestly interested on giving it a try.

But lets see, how things will turn out, all I know, no matter their approach has been, but they need to understand that times have changed & the time they put & invest on porting DP8 to Win platform will be a lost (doesn't mean they won't sell a few hundreds of them) & won't reach their highly expected sells. And positive I won't be wrong about it.

And it will be just a matter of time and they will realize it. I'll be watching

So long then

They can have a demo that does not have the capacity to export stems or mix down that cannot be unlocked, so it can't be cracked. The full version would be a completely different piece of software.
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
@Bunjji

They can have whatever they want available but sorry to say it again, times have changed MOTU and they can either stick with their old school approach & they won't a higher number of new users as expected (thats for sure, i'm 1000% sure with their Win version & even Mac version) or simply wake up & smell the coffee and start behaving with 2012-2013 business mindset.

And again, all my point of views aren't saying anything bad about the DAW, its about the DEMO part & just MOTU's way of handling their business in today's music world. I guess they're just happy with the number of users they already own but don't think this is the way they're going to reach out a vast mass of new users.

Good luck MOTU. I'll wait for a Demo or if I find a friend who knows a friend who happen to own MOTU, i'll have a visit.

Cheers
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
There is no "Merge MIDI Regions" menu command as such; but what you want to do is easily done just as quickly (if not moreso) in DP by using the Tracks overview window which is always visible and treats MIDI/Audio in quickly selectable blocks by default (although even that behavior is modifiable according to your preference).

In the Tracks window, click on your MIDI part and drag it to the target MIDI track where it will snap into alignment, merging with the content of the target track. Done. You can select the entire block, or by measure or even discontiguous regions to drag/merge, using shift-click.

Given DP's Track Folders feature, though, i'd question whether you would even want or need to merge the parts, since leaving them on two tracks makes editing easier should you decide to come back to that. You could make a track folder and just drop the two or more MIDI parts into that folder, and then open or close it to save space in the tracks window as needed. The part will be treated as one mute/playable track when the folder is closed, or as separate when it's open. Much easier and more flexible, with no loss of organization to your layout.
Thanks sounds fine.

Now, I don't know how DP handles the equivalent of Logic and Cubase style "bounce in place," where you'd like to commit a guitar track with an AMP sim to audio and dump the overhead of the AMP sim (I often have many guitar tracks), or how you bounce a VI to audio in DP, but if these midi tracks feeding a via like Kontakt were all in a given folder, could that folder be "bounced in place" as it were, or whatever DP calls it?

Thx
Tom
📝 Reply