Quantcast
MOTU Digital Performer v. 8 shipping - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MOTU Digital Performer v. 8 shipping
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

What a lovely blank space...

Last edited by henge; 27th September 2012 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: I have my reasons...
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicd ➡️
Hello all. I can confirm that DP8 ships with a built-in pdf manual.

Dave
Happy face
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollow ➡️
I am definately a converter. But my biggest concern is PERFORMANCE... How is it? I've seen someone else post here in the thread about it being "sluggish" on a mac.

Now I'm a pc user so of course you guys can't know that now since the pc version has not been released.

I'm running cubase 6.5 now and I would not be too happy about a downgrade performance wise - CPU and such...

?
I'd be interested to see how dp performs on a pc.

In terms of audio processing, it is great, can handle all kinds of large projects easily.

graphically is where it falters. it's fairly responsive, but on some resolutions it can get pretty terribly slow if you have too many windows open and tracks going. Zooming in/out is especially arduous. this is on a 2010 mac pro, DP7
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimey1 ➡️
I'd be interested to see how dp performs on a pc.

In terms of audio processing, it is great, can handle all kinds of large projects easily.

graphically is where it falters. it's fairly responsive, but on some resolutions it can get pretty terribly slow if you have too many windows open and tracks going. Zooming in/out is especially arduous. this is on a 2010 mac pro, DP7
Alright thanks!

So, basically - cpu handling won't be that much different from Cubase or Pro tools. ?

I mean - it's not a poorly written program, in terms of cpu/machine handling - in reference to the other bid DAWs?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Alright thanks!

So, basically - cpu handling won't be that much different from Cubase or Pro tools. ?

I mean - it's not a poorly written program, in terms of cpu/machine handling - in reference to the other bid DAWs?
No problem with graphics here.
Have no fear. DP is one of the few DAWs that take full advantage of all cores.
DP always prioritizes audio quality first.
It´s stable & rock solid.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Alright thanks!

Not only is it brilliantly written, it's capable of things other native DAWs are not as far as cpu optimization.

As has been said above, it's a mature program with degrees of customization that some don't get into because they don't want to. There are many ways to configure DP from its Preferences panel which get very under-the-hood and allow you to customize and make tradeoffs depending on your work style.

Are you primarily audio and want low-latency, extremely smooth and responsive behavior? You can get that with low buffer settings and pre-rendering turned off.

Are you a VI and effects-heavy composer who wants the ability to handle a lot of overhead while having to render as little as possible? Crank up the buffer and enable pre-rendering of fx and VIs - slows down responsiveness but prioritizes CPU conservation, allowing massively complex projects to run in real time. With 64 bit, this capability should be even more insane than it already was.

..and everything in between.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicd ➡️
Hello all. I can confirm that DP8 ships with a built-in pdf manual.

Dave

Thank you! As small as that might seem to others, it's a huge deal for me.
Old 27th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
People are still using DP ? ... lol

except the fact that you guyz probably used it for while , anybody knows new cats that want to buy a DAW say " ok , i'l gonna try /buy DP " ?

EDIT : PS : this is not a joke , a diss or some .....just really want to know
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️

except the fact that you guyz probably used it for while , anybody knows new cats that want to buy a DAW say " ok , i'l gonna try /buy DP " ?
No but most people I work with (studio owners), use DP or Nuendo. DP is one of the finest DAW's I've used but without a demo I'll stick to what I use now.
Old 27th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I am so getting this, been running cubase since sx2. Worked proffessionally with a pro tools hd3 rig with a pro control, and when I studied AE we used logic in school - so i've been around the block. This is exactly what I've been wanting and waiting for.

BUT - another important question - I haven't seen anything about the licensing. I understood that they don't use dongles and such - but can I use it on more than one computer? I have two computers in my studio and running on both is a must.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:

EDIT : PS : this is not a joke , a diss or some .....just really want to know

I have never seen DP...

...and I'm converting. As soon as the Windows version is out - I'm getting it

Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I am so getting this, been running cubase since sx2. Worked proffessionally with a pro tools hd3 rig with a pro control, and when I studied AE we used logic in school - so i've been around the block. This is exactly what I've been wanting and waiting for.

BUT - another important question - I haven't seen anything about the licensing. I understood that they don't use dongles and such - but can I use it on more than one computer? I have two computers in my studio and running on both is a must.
First question. Can you do this with other DAWs????

With DP you can!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiogal ➡️

With DP you can!
? With daws I actually prefer dongles as that enables me to use it on any machine, but I see your point...

So you're saying that I can use DP on multiple machines with just a serial? Sounds too good to be true
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
? With daws I actually prefer dongles as that enables me to use it on any machine, but I see your point...

So you're saying that I can use DP on multiple machines with just a serial? Sounds too good to be true
I use a single licensed copy on both my desktop and laptop. The "dongle" is the install disc itself, which is watermarked: you need it to be in the drive the first time you run the program and each time you upgrade to a new version. Aside from that, you're dongle-free.
Lives for gear

Quote:

With DP you can!
You can run Reaper off a usb drive on any computer!
Still trying to figure out how to try DP!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Another thing is, those who buy DP8 will get both the MAC and PC version.
This means you can have DP on both platforms.
Almost to good to be true, but this is DP we are talking about.
It´s true!
Old 27th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
@Radiogal:

Where do I get it here in Sweden? Directly from Zima or will the distribute to our 4sound stores?

And when will the Windows version be ready for purchase here in Sweden? I can't wait
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
@Radiogal:

Where do I get it here in Sweden? Directly from Zima or will the distribute to our 4sound stores?

And when will the Windows version be ready for purchase here in Sweden? I can't wait
Zima distrubutes to stores like 4Sound, DLX and all other music stores here in Sweden.
The Mac version is already shipping. It´s on it´s way now this very moment. Can´t wait.
The Windows version will be available when MOTU releases it.
After that it needs to be shipped to Sweden before we can get our hands on it
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
But lets be honest here folks, I got a question that I believe doesn't concern those who already are DP users. And I hope that MOTU is reading us here in GS.

How the HELL MOTU is planning to have new users coming from other DAWs who wish to give DP8 a try without a downloadable version? I mean, did MOTU simply invest all this time to even cross platform build DP for Win users and not letting people TRY OUT in a way or another their DAW?

This must be a joke when I read everywhere in this post that there really won't be a downloadable TRY version. Honestly, I got hard time believing this especially in today's technology.

So if there is any MOTU REP out there on GS, please can you please come up & put things straight & the reasons WHY you guys have decided not to let people have a trial version?

Very curious

One thing for sure I'll hold until Win version to be release (which should be the end of this month if I recall well?).

Peace
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well, DP is wellknown for it´s great way of handeling MIDI.
I haven't found any videos (even on youtube) showing DP8 (or 7) in action. I'm interested to understand how multi-timbrale stuff (Kontakt, Omnisphere, Play, etc) works (ie the routing of a midi-track, cc conflicts,).

Does anyone actually how DP8 up and running?
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks ➡️
I haven't found any videos (even on youtube) showing DP8 (or 7) in action. I'm interested to understand how multi-timbrale stuff (Kontakt, Omnisphere, Play, etc) works (ie the routing of a midi-track, cc conflicts,).
motuTV - YouTube
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Was a Pro Tools user. Got sick of instability. Looked around, found it had the most features I wanted. Bought it. Never looked back.

BTW Version 7 is extremely stable.
Old 28th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimey1 ➡️
DP8 is now 100% cocoa. Which should speed up the graphics issues!
But I haven't got it yet so can't say for sure.
Old 28th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I
You can.
But I believe that the license allows to use it on one computer at a time only. (As is the case with most software!)
But there's nothing that keeps you from doing it (other that your moral).
Most companies are fine if you install on both desktop and laptop for example.
But if you install the same copy on two production machines that are used at the same time you're usually supposed to have two licenses.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just bought the upgrade

i bought 7 to try out and was really impressed. i am a longgg time cubase user and also have S1, PT, Logic, Reaper, Reaon, and had Samp and SAW so you can say i have tried a few out

i find DP to be very very deep on many fronts

audio and midi
etc

i am mostly an audio guy with some midi VI's per song.

i was waiting for 64 bit and i think this update looks fantastic, it may be enough, if i can learn it well enough, to switch full time

plus the fact it works so well with eucon and my artist controllers

there are some things i need to figure out like no media bay in the program so auditioning loops is not as nice but so much more is better for me and my workflow

anyway, yes i am in the process of switching to DP
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar ➡️
But lets be honest here folks, I got a question that I believe doesn't concern those who already are DP users. And I hope that MOTU is reading us here in GS.

How the HELL MOTU is planning to have new users coming from other DAWs who wish to give DP8 a try without a downloadable version? I mean, did MOTU simply invest all this time to even cross platform build DP for Win users and not letting people TRY OUT in a way or another their DAW?

This must be a joke when I read everywhere in this post that there really won't be a downloadable TRY version. Honestly, I got hard time believing this especially in today's technology.

So if there is any MOTU REP out there on GS, please can you please come up & put things straight & the reasons WHY you guys have decided not to let people have a trial version?

Very curious

One thing for sure I'll hold until Win version to be release (which should be the end of this month if I recall well?).

Peace
No downloadable demo. I doubt if there will be one.

I guess if you want an excuse not to buy it, then "no downloadable demo" is
as good as any other, I guess.
t_d
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i can definitely see where you're coming from. as i've said before, DP has been my one and only daw since 1990 (before "daws").. so i've never cared about a demo...

however, if for some reason i decided to switch DAWs, or MOTU went out of business or decided to stop making DP... i sure as hell would want to demo other DAWs before deciding.

your DAW is, arguably, the center of your studio.. the piece of "gear" you spend the most time with over anything else.. so it's GOT to be a right fit for you.

a demo version would certainly make sense for other people looking to change out of their DAWs... though, we've got to assume it's a copy protection thing... MOTU has enjoyed a very crack-free existence i think..and they likely want to keep it that way.

but with forums, youtube videos and now a PDF manual, it should give people interested in DP plenty of ways to learn quite a bit about it without trying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar ➡️

Very curious

Peace
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d ➡️
i can definitely see where you're coming from. as i've said before, DP has been my one and only daw since 1990 (before "daws").. so i've never cared about a demo...

however, if for some reason i decided to switch DAWs, or MOTU went out of business or decided to stop making DP... i sure as hell would want to demo other DAWs before deciding.

your DAW is, arguably, the center of your studio.. the piece of "gear" you spend the most time with over anything else.. so it's GOT to be a right fit for you.

a demo version would certainly make sense for other people looking to change out of their DAWs... though, we've got to assume it's a copy protection thing... MOTU has enjoyed a very crack-free existence i think..and they likely want to keep it that way.

but with forums, youtube videos and now a PDF manual, it should give people interested in DP plenty of ways to learn quite a bit about it without trying it.

I Totally hear you mate but i'm sorry to say again and I totally respect DP/MOTU to conserve their policy and ways they've been doing business about Copy Protection but I'm sorry mate, indeed, you can watch some videos and hear feedback from people and decide to say "you know what, gonna go by this DAW" right? I totally agree.

But ain't my thing, I don't buy a DAW and never bought a DAW before I tried it first. Thats a NO GO for me and I don't care how much someone tells me about it or show me videos etc... As long as I can NOT try it, won't buy it.

I remember way back with Magix, when they didn't have downloadable version or something like that, they at least where letting new USERS to RENT out & try their DAW. At least, and now Motu want me to go PAY 500$ to a daw that I used (by the way didn't owned back in the days, used it in a studio I used to work) and then if I happen to not like it, my 500$ just went away?

So Yes as you said mate, A DEMO version won't only make sense but is a MUST.

I'm sorry but I could put that $$$ somewhere else. And i'm sure i'm not the only one here especially Win users who are really and honestly interested on giving it a try.

But lets see, how things will turn out, all I know, no matter their approach has been, but they need to understand that times have changed & the time they put & invest on porting DP8 to Win platform will be a lost (doesn't mean they won't sell a few hundreds of them) & won't reach their highly expected sells. And positive I won't be wrong about it.

And it will be just a matter of time and they will realize it. I'll be watching

So long then

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't know if DP8 even needs a downloadable demo. A plugin, yes, but for such a large software..... I don't recall Pro Tools ever having a demo.

I've got mine on the way, can't wait to get back to that platform!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just wanted to say that it seems Macprovideo has some brand new DP8 tutorials..., which is really nice. Compared to other DAW's there's always been very little online training for DP, but it looks like that might be changing. Combined with the PDF manual I really love where MOTU is heading.
📝 Reply