Quantcast
MOTU Digital Performer v. 8 shipping - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MOTU Digital Performer v. 8 shipping
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, I'm a little confused about this "toggling" idea.

- c
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by eigens ➡️
Do you mean you can actually toggle the 32 bit plugin that isnt 64 bit to 64 bit or do you have to toggle the whole DAW so its running either 32 bit or in 64 bit?

Purpose of a bridge is to run 32 bit and 64 bit plugins concurrently.
Yes, and the new DP will not do that. They did not make a bridge. You will be able to run DP in either 32 or 64 bit, but you have to decide.

That may suck for some of us with older VI's and plugs that haven't or won't make it to 64 bit.. but from MOTU's point of view, it was a very good decision, IMO.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
No Demo but plenty of options to buy DP8 cheaper if you have another DAW already
Taken from MOTUs home page:

Digital Performer 8 upgrade from competing product (Like: ProTools, Cubase, logic, Samplitude)
$395.00

Digital Performer 8 upgrade from AudioDesk (All those having MOTU hardware that included AudioDesk, that IS in fact a kind of "DP LE demo".)
$395.00

Digital Performer 8 upgrade from previous version of DP
$195.00

Digital Performer 8 upgrade from Performer
$295.00

Another great thing is that DP8 will be available both for Mac and PC. Those who buy DP8 for MAC will be eligibled the Windows version that will be out soon.
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
no downloadable version. no pdf manual.
also
no copy protection or dongles

it's a different way of handling things

tbh i have hardly ever read the manual and with every version i just sell the old one on ebay.

it's a daw. it's pretty intuitive like most daws, and the deeper features (pitch correction, beat detection, adjust measures) have tutorials all over the web
Pastor Obviedo
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Slash ➡️
Looks great, expect the fact that they haven't upgraded their time-stretching and pitch-shifting algorithms, which produce nasty artifacts on complex material requiring drastic stretching compared to the competitions from what I've listened.

Also, their new "Live Room | B" looks and sounds fabulous, but... No bass amp models to use with it !

Too bad. I hope they'll model at least 2 vintage bass amps in the near future to be used together with that new "live room".
agree, Logic smokes DP on time-stretching. DP code is 12 years old!

Also, no midi region yet! I love in protools when you can mute a midi region just like audio:

MOTU, we don't need more guitar plug ins, we need useful features like Logic, Protools, Live and Reaper.
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Are you guys (and gals) sure what DP8 can or can't do yet?

The pitch thing looks alot like Melodyne. If you use that plug, the low cost of DP8 is a "no-brainer"

Are you sure about midi muting? How about CC lanes? Do DP8 do that similar to Cubase 6.5?

Putting up a PDF manual would allow us to read to know what can & can't be done....
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich ➡️
All other DAW developers offer download versions? No, I don't think so.

Full version of Pro Tools 10 - boxed
Full version of Cubase - boxed (ok, you can get a cracked full version of Cubase any day of the week, that's another story).

You can download updates of PT and Cubase (as well as DP), but not the full
versions.
Good argument. These people don't do it so it's ok for this person to do it.

Anyways, in this day and age they should really offer a download for this product. It helps everyone to do so. Uses less product like paper and CD's and if the owner needs to get his software again, it's just a click away.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Obviedo ➡️
agree, Logic smokes DP on time-stretching.

MOTU, we don't need more guitar plug ins, we need useful features like Logic, Protools, Live and Reaper.
Exactly!! Dead on for both of these points. Time stretching is close to useless and although DP's built in pitch correction is pretty damn good more 'out of the box' thinking in development would be appreciated.

I upgraded...slightly reluctantly...but for the $200 it's probably worth 64 bit and the new coding they did. I am in the hopes that once the dust settles on 8 that they release an update with some kick ass features instead of some fluff such as 'Themes'.

I really do wish they would offer a PDF manual to those of use that buy legit copies. That manual is a freakin' brick and honestly it's not that well written.
t_d
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
ha, yeah, pretty silly...

i've used performer/digital performer exclusively as my only daw since 1990. i created techno in the early 90s and have since been doing ambient and experimental music for the last 15+ years. i can hardly "play" but DP has excelled for me when it comes to layers, loops and general arrangement of my strange and minimalist sounds.

no "playing" required to use DP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx ➡️
I know it sounds silly, but I honestly think DP is better served to people that are good players, and not so much for those into programming. Not saying it's good or bad, just my personal observation says an owner since v3.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
What features would you like to see in DP? I can let you know if they exist or not already. It's a pretty deep program.

I think, VST support, 64-bit support, and the fact that it runs on Windows! Is enough to warrant a new version #.

VST support - a big deal, neither logic nor cubase can do AU and VST afaik

64-bit - a big deal to some

cross-platform - a really big deal! logic won't ever do this...

then there are lots of things DP does for the post-production community that logic and cubase wet their pants just thinking about. I suppose Nuendo can hang with DP when doing scoring, sound design, and mixing for film, but the lower level DAWs can't.

I don't know. seems silly to whine about what DP is missing - just use another DAW that does what you want? Or are those DAW's "lacking" as well? LOL too funnny
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

The new update looks great, I just wish an overall faster performance, I have a fast mac pro and like others have complained it's really sluggish.
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

How is the panning done in DP8? I only see one control. How do you deal with stereo tracks. Do you need a panning plug to process the L and R channels separately?
Thanks
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by henge ➡️
How is the panning done in DP8? I only see one control. How do you deal with stereo tracks. Do you need a panning plug to process the L and R channels separately?
Thanks
Yes, I think that is the case.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d ➡️
ha, yeah, pretty silly...

i've used performer/digital performer exclusively as my only daw since 1990. i created techno in the early 90s and have since been doing ambient and experimental music for the last 15+ years. i can hardly "play" but DP has excelled for me when it comes to layers, loops and general arrangement of my strange and minimalist sounds.

no "playing" required to use DP.
Congrats!... I think you can do any genre/style of music in just about any DAW..., but I just think all DAW's are designed and streamlined (to a degree) for a slightly specific crowd. Again, I've had DP since v3 and love the program.
kdm
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich ➡️
Full version of Cubase - boxed (ok, you can get a cracked full version of Cubase any day of the week, that's another story).
Technically there isn't a downloadable version of Cubase from the store, but there is a downloadable full-version demo. Once you buy Cubase, they send a box with the eLicenser code on a card (with the DVD, no hardcopy manuals of any kind); just enter that in your eLicense key and the demo becomes the full version on next launch - no need to reinstall. The only thing missing vs. the DVD in the box are some video tutorials - all content, pdf manual, etc.

Steinberg could easily just email the keys. No point in mailing boxes with a post card inside. Not sure I get the logic, but maybe they are transitioning to downloadable buying and licensing.

At least MOTU puts the DP box to use with a hard copy manual.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks
From what I've seen in the video's, they seem to have stereo panning all taken care of.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
DP has stereo panning and stereo AUX sends with pan and level control and stereo Aux returns.
Very straight forward and ideal for true stereo delay/reverb FX and parallel mixbuss routings.
No need to split things..
It´s your choice, if you want mono or stereo. DP gives you all the options.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjji ➡️
Yes, I think that is the case.
Nope
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by csiaudio ➡️
Exactly!! Dead on for both of these points. Time stretching is close to useless and although DP's built in pitch correction is pretty damn good more 'out of the box' thinking in development would be appreciated.

I upgraded...slightly reluctantly...but for the $200 it's probably worth 64 bit and the new coding they did. I am in the hopes that once the dust settles on 8 that they release an update with some kick ass features instead of some fluff such as 'Themes'.

I really do wish they would offer a PDF manual to those of use that buy legit copies. That manual is a freakin' brick and honestly it's not that well written.

Need to mention that $200 is cheaper than an UAD plugin alone..
DPs new plugins, like the DP Precision Delay plugin alone would be worth it.
It works very similar to the Waves inPhase that costs $200

Log out = WAVES Shop link

The new DP Subkick, Dynamic EQ and the Spatial Maximizer, just to mention a few of the new goodies, are all very useful and great tools...

DPs pitch has been there since version 4.5 and is outstanding and wins over most other pitching tools IMO. It´s totally integrated into the DAW. Instant and direct.

Just sayin´.. $200 for the DP8 update is a true give away...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiogal ➡️
DP has stereo panning and stereo AUX sends with pan and level control and stereo Aux returns.
Very straight forward and ideal for true stereo delay/reverb FX and parallel mixbuss routings.
No need to split things..
It´s your choice, if you want mono or stereo. DP gives you all the options.
Excellent thanks!
How does dp's midi stack up against Cubase, in your opinion?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm ➡️
Technically there isn't a downloadable version of Cubase from the store, but there is a downloadable full-version demo. Once you buy Cubase, they send a box with the eLicenser code on a card (with the DVD, no hardcopy manuals of any kind); just enter that in your eLicense key and the demo becomes the full version on next launch - no need to reinstall. The only thing missing vs. the DVD in the box are some video tutorials - all content, pdf manual, etc.

Steinberg could easily just email the keys. No point in mailing boxes with a post card inside. Not sure I get the logic, but maybe they are transitioning to downloadable buying and licensing.

At least MOTU puts the DP box to use with a hard copy manual.
Thanx KDM for clarifying things out. Even yesterday was on the phone with a Steinberg Rep and was actually talking to him about this. All i know is that many (aside Steiny-Yamama) are kinda behind in the Cloud Download/Delivery. Most of DAW devs have all their DAW products available to get Online & if wish, order the box for personal satisfaction.

As for me been a while, just download the full thing. When I go to a music store today its to purchase Hardware thats all.

Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I live ( mostly ) in Logic, but i've been always intrigued by DP. Sadly, no demo and no available online manual makes it very hard to see what potential advantages there could be to it compared to Logic...
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Excellent thanks!
How does dp's midi stack up against Cubase, in your opinion?
Well, DP is wellknown for it´s great way of handeling MIDI.
MIDI has been a very strong feature eversince DP still was "Performer".
DP users swear by DPs´ MIDI excelency.
Nowadays I´m more into audio than MIDI, but the MIDI work I have done and do has always been very intuitive and as deep as you want it to be.
The fact that DP is so often used with large MIDI projects like film scoring and music composition shows it´s true reliability and high end capacity.

Check out these clips on YouTube:

motuTV - YouTube]
Old 27th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I am definately a converter. But my biggest concern is PERFORMANCE... How is it? I've seen someone else post here in the thread about it being "sluggish" on a mac.

Now I'm a pc user so of course you guys can't know that now since the pc version has not been released.

I'm running cubase 6.5 now and I would not be too happy about a downgrade performance wise - CPU and such...

?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollow ➡️
I am definately a converter. But my biggest concern is PERFORMANCE... How is it? I've seen someone else post here in the thread about it being "sluggish" on a mac.

Now I'm a pc user so of course you guys can't know that now since the pc version has not been released.

I'm running cubase 6.5 now and I would not be too happy about a downgrade performance wise - CPU and such...

?
If you have your Mac/PC well set up and optimized for audio and do not run any virus affected or illegal stuff that will endanger any DAW from working correctly, DP will be as stable as a rock.

MOTU puts a lot of efford in software reliability. Beta testers have been testing DP8 for almost a year. When MOTU releases, it´s stable, otherwise they would not release it.
Most DP users are professionals, like me, and need a stable and fast production DAW that one can trust. It´s directly affecting our income..
I use DP fulltime. Thing is, I´d never stick with an unstable DAW.
Old 27th September 2012
jac
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'm also looking around to try something different from Logic. Since I use a lot of hardware inserts I would be interested on knowing more about the way DP8 handles it.
Old 27th September 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollow ➡️

?
DP6 was sluggish for me, but DP7.24 is lightning fast and stable. I do have two SSDs, one for OSX and one for project folders, and a lean Snow Leopard on a Mac Pro 2008.

DP is mature and very deep. The in-track pitch correction is excellent. I am most excited about the new plugin manager.
Old 27th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Hello all. I can confirm that DP8 ships with a built-in pdf manual.

Dave
t_d
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
DP is indeed a mature program and after a slightly rocky version 6, according to most people, version 7 has been the best version yet.

keep in mind that there are an enormous amount of parameters that go into performance and that could be causing "sluggishness".. it's highly tied to individual computer systems and how well those machines and file structures are maintained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixtree Audio ➡️
DP6 was sluggish for me, but DP7.24 is lightning fast and stable. I do have two SSDs, one for OSX and one for project folders, and a lean Snow Leopard on a Mac Pro 2008.

DP is mature and very deep. The in-track pitch correction is excellent. I am most excited about the new plugin manager.
Lives for gear

Well I am intrigued. It's funny, Reaper is doing for me and has for many years...but it's nice to have options.I think I'll let the early windows adopters work out the inevitable bugs and then try it.LOL. Also no 32 bit bridge is a no go for me ( gotta have my Soundtoys and UBK-1).
Although the thought of learning a new DAW doesn't thrill me.
So is there no way to demo if there's no download?
📝 Reply