The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MOTU Digital Performer v. 8 shipping
Old 7th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurliuchi ➑️
It is set and forget. You just have to set it first, then forget. You're just doing the forgetting part first.

Really, make an effort to learn to use it first before posting. No one can help you if your brain is closed down. The transport can do just about anything you want -- Auto Rewind, Auto Stop, Memory Cycle, Link Playback to Memory, Link Selection to Memory.
We're going in circles here, let's just move on, please. Thanks for your help and time. I used DP for many years

It's a great DAW. I'll grab the demo during the weekend.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro ➑️
We're going in circles here, let's just move on, please. Thanks for your help and time. I used DP for many years

It's a great DAW. I'll grab the demo during the weekend.
I bought the upgrade (still had an OLD copy of DP from years back) and tried it out. I loved many of the features, but for the life of me after being in PT and Logic I just could not get used to how the transport worked. I know it's all customizeable, blah blah, but it just did not feel natural at all. Found it frustrating for some reason, sure it was my fault in not wanting to adapt to it.

Sold it.

TH
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks ➑️
I bought the upgrade (still had an OLD copy of DP from years back) and tried it out. I loved many of the features, but for the life of me after being in PT and Logic I just could not get used to how the transport worked. I know it's all customizeable, blah blah, but it just did not feel natural at all. Found it frustrating for some reason, sure it was my fault in not wanting to adapt to it.

Sold it.

TH
FWIW, I also prefer PT's transport behavior.

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks ➑️

Sold it.

TH
Same thing happened to me but backwards! I was so used to DP transport that when tried Protools hated the way their transport behaves!

We are creatures of habit.

BTW, I'm getting constant crashes with 8.02 when I try to "adjust soundbites to a new sequence tempo". I'm on a fresh installed 10.8.3 and a healthy Mac Pro with 16 gb ram. Hope I find what's happening soon, this is driving me crazy, I will go back to DP 8.02 for the moment :(
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos ➑️
BTW, I'm getting constant crashes with 8.02 when I try to "adjust soundbites to a new sequence tempo". I'm on a fresh installed 10.8.3 and a healthy Mac Pro with 16 gb ram. Hope I find what's happening soon, this is driving me crazy, I will go back to DP 8.02 for the moment :(
Wow, too bad. And they just fixed that "mixer follows selection" issue.. I know you were like me, needing to get that functionality back.

Have you tried selecting the soundbites one at a time and adjusting? I mean, it would suck and be a time waster, but if it works..
Old 7th May 2013

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killahurts ➑️
Have you tried selecting the soundbites one at a time and adjusting? I mean, it would suck and be a time waster, but if it works..
Hello Killahurts!

Unfortunately that didn't work, adjusting one by one also crash DP8.02.

I'm sure this is specific to my system, other people tried these steps and didn't crash.

Should find what's happening.

I'm sending a support ticket to motu, hope they help me. I really want to use 8.02.

Best regards.

Delcosmos.
Old 7th May 2013
Lives for gear

I'm back to DP 8.01, one of my gotta use plug ins just turned DP 8.02 into a crash fest, tried a clean install, no luck, too bad, the new version feels great but it is unstable with my current setup.
Old 8th May 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Old 8th May 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I had to bail on 8.02 and go back to 8.01 because of a weird waveform display issue. I was getting some sessions not showing me the full waveforms intermittently between the sequence and tracks overview windows. I had a good chat with someone at MOTU, tried a few things and sent in some screen shots. We'll see what happens. I'm a long time Performer user (since '89) and have a high regard for MOTU.
Old 12th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The new DP 8.03 upgrade is expected to be released with in a very few days.
So all those DEMO users and other users having issues with DP WIN (and/or MAC) will be able to update and continue the DEMO period.
Old 12th May 2013 | Show parent

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiogal ➑️
The new DP 8.03 upgrade is expected to be released with in a very few days.
So all those DEMO users and other users having issues with DP WIN (and/or MAC) will be able to update and continue the DEMO period.
Great news!

Thank you.

delcosmos.
Old 13th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The Upgrade DP 8.03 for MAC and WIN is out now. :D
Many reported bugfixes are fixed. MOTU is listening!

For the DEMO users:
You can install the new DP 8.03 and keep on using your DEMO until it expires.
Old 18th May 2013

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Sadly, 8.03 came with even more bugs. Very unstable. Many long time users (me included) are going back to 8.01.

I sent a tech-link report 4 days ago, no response. But at least another user with problems got an email from Motu saying that 8.04 is coming very soon.

The problems I'm getting with DP8.03:

1- Imminent crashes while Adjusting soundbites to sequence tempo.
2- Constant Crashes while adjusting pitch automation.
3- VEPro is not opening automatically every instance, the way it used to do.
4- Templates can't remember Midi device groups, so if you start a new song, all your midi assignments are blank on the midi device groups window, not funny at all.
5- Weird noises (plops and clicks) on audio with pitch automation.

BTW, All this problems disappear with DP8.01, which is a very stable version.

So, no, DP 8.03 is not there yet.
Old 18th May 2013

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Sadly, 8.03 came with even more bugs. Very unstable. Many long time users (me included) are going back to 8.01.

I sent a tech-link report 4 days ago, no response. But at least another user with problems got an email from Motu saying that 8.04 is coming very soon.

The problems I'm getting with DP8.03:

1- Imminent crashes while Adjusting soundbites to sequence tempo.
2- Constant Crashes while adjusting pitch automation.
3- VEPro is not opening automatically every instance, the way it used to do.
4- Templates can't remember Midi device groups, so if you start a new song, all your midi assignments are blank on the "midi device group" window, not funny at all.
5- Weird noises (plops and clicks) on audio with pitch automation.

BTW, All this problems disappear with DP8.01, which is a very stable version.
Old 22nd May 2013
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I started back in the 80s with Performer (MIDI only) and have dutifully followed MOTU's upgrades.

8.03 seems to be very solid, very stable, fast, well endowed with a rich feature set. I have some quibbles about behavior changes (some intentional, some obvious oopsies), but overall, this is the DAW for me.

With my Windows buddies now able to use a common platform, things are looking grand.

Here's what I'm running it on:
Late 2011 MBP 15" quad core 2.2 GHz i7, 16G of cheap-ass RAM, 256G Crucial SSD

My decision to go laptop, not tower has been well vindicated.
Old 22nd May 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
DP 8.04 MAC & WIN released today.

Sent from my GT-I9100
Old 26th May 2013
Lives for gear

Is V 8.04 stable enough ?
Old 26th May 2013 | Show parent

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario-C. ➑️
Is V 8.04 stable enough ?
Yes! very stable over here. I'm so happy!
Old 14th June 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos ➑️
Yes! very stable over here. I'm so happy!
I'm jealous. I can't work more than 5 minutes without a crash.

Currently *trying* to work with a project in 8.04 that has 2 audio tracks, one aux track, one master track, a few Waves plugins, nothing pirated, repaired disc permissions, running the session off an external FW drive, 828mk3, running at 32-bit, and it's crashing on average once a minute. Unbelievable.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
8.04 has been rock solid here. Really like this iteration!

OS 10.7.8, Mac Pro 2009, motu 2408/apogee Rosetta 800
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgibbons ➑️
I'm jealous. I can't work more than 5 minutes without a crash.

Currently *trying* to work with a project in 8.04 that has 2 audio tracks, one aux track, one master track, a few Waves plugins, nothing pirated, repaired disc permissions, running the session off an external FW drive, 828mk3, running at 32-bit, and it's crashing on average once a minute. Unbelievable.
Do some basic troubleshooting:
- create a new admin user, test
- remove everything from /Library/Audio/PlugIns/Components and /Library/Audio/PlugIns/VST, test
- create a fresh new project, test
- do any other apps crash?

Repairing permissions as a troubleshooting step is an internet myth. It doesn't do any damage, but almost never resolves any problems..
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology ➑️
Do some basic troubleshooting:
- create a new admin user, test
- remove everything from /Library/Audio/PlugIns/Components and /Library/Audio/PlugIns/VST, test
- create a fresh new project, test
- do any other apps crash?
DP is the only thing crashing, but it's pretty much the only thing I use on this computer so that's not saying much...

Thanks for steering me towards the plugins. I remember having to sort through all my plugins when... I don't remember exactly when, but somewhere between v5 and 7 I had a few 3rd party plugins that had become antagonistic. I'll try going through them all as my next step and report back after I figure this out. I've ruled out quite a few other possibilities so far...

I LOVE so many of the new things in DP8... I do a lot with video, so all the new features around that made this update a no-brainer. It has pretty much every single thing that's been on my wishlist for DP... But right now I'm dismayed over all the time I'm losing over this... Just want to get it fixed and get back to making music!
Old 16th June 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
@scottgibbons - I hope you are utilizing the tech support people.
It's their job to work through this with you and they've always
helped me out when I've had difficulties in the past.
Old 16th June 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Double post

Last edited by Soy Sos; 16th June 2013 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: Double post
Old 16th June 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
OK! Seems I was blaming the messenger, as DP was revealing problems with my computer. I started a new TechLink for this issue at MOTU.com, and received a reply within 24 hours, and as of right now DP 8.04 is ROCK SOLID.

Thanks stratology! - I never had to do this before, but I started a new admin account and DP did great, except that it couldn't load any of my 3rd party plugs as I'd installed them (and a bunch of other software) at the user level I just moved them over, changed permissions on them and DP refused to load a couple of them because of problems. So I'll try to re-install those next.

But the short version of the story is:

DP 8.04 has been working great for me once I did all this (running 6 hours solid yesterday)

MOTU Tech Support was responsive

Stratology is more level-headed than I
Old 16th June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The point of creating a new admin user is to isolate if the issue occurs at user level or at system level. So when things work in a new admin user, you have isolated the issue to user level, but that does not necessarily mean that you have to move everything to the new admin user.

You can continue using your original user, and look at ~/Library to further isolate the issue.
The main places to look at are ~/Library/Application Support, ~/Library/Audio/PlugIns and ~/Library/Preferences.

You can remove contents of these folders (to a new folder on your desktop), log out, log back in, and test to see if DP is stable. When you found out which folder contents cause the crashes, you can move the content back in a split half approach: move half of the files back, log out/in, test, if it works, move half of the remaining files back, etc.

(Another option to find out what's going on is to look at the crash logs. You open /Utilities/Console.app, click 'Show Log List', and find Digital Performer crash logs in the side bar.
You can find information on how to read crash logs here.
Crash Logs are not designed to be human readable, so you may or may not find something useful in there...)
Old 26th June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I used DP for years but finally gave it up after trying other DAWs and finding that some of them were better. I've been using Studio One for the past few years and really enjoying the very fast workflow and the fact that everything sort of works.

I recently had to go back and finish a DP song that was too complicated mix-wise to transfer into Studio One. So I downloaded the 30-day demo for DP 8. All I can say is that I'm really glad I switched to Studio One. DP is just the most frustrating DAW I've ever worked with. What are the problems? Here's a short list:

1. Out of memory messages and massive memory usage in the memory bar. I have 8 gigs, but a session with a very average track and plug-in count at 44.1 kHz takes DP to the limit.

2. Opening and closing plug-ins causes audio to drop out for 3-4 seconds on that particular track.

3. Rendering audio sometimes drops playback of certain tracks.

4. re-ordering plug-ins in the mix window is a tedious pain in the ass compared to Studio One.

5. Processor window says the mix is generally at about 35% of CPU but occasional spikes that interrupt playback still occur.

I could go on and on, especially about the completely non-intuitive legacy workflow designs and the audio engine controls. I knew Studio One was better, but I didn't realize how much better until I went back to DP and tried to actually do some work. Sometimes I think the best measurement of a DAW is how often you curse at it. With Studio One it's pretty rare. With DP it's every minute or two. Mixing just isn't much fun on DP 8.
Old 27th June 2013
DP7.24 has been rock solid. DP8 so far the same way, even snappier, but haven't made a full switch yet. Wrapping up a couple of projects first.

Never had any of the issues the last poster identified. Can run my processors to the max and no spikes or dropouts. Massive projects. I get more problems with UAD for crying out loud. Re-ordering plugins is easy as pie. Shift+click a whole block and drag them up or down or to another track.

Mixing on DP is a dream, imo. It is mature, deep and flexible. I only wish it had an I/O plug for hardware inserts, but there's a way around that using Aux tracks. Audio editing is better than PT. The built-in track-based tuning is superb. I can tune a vocal like crazy and never hear it.

The new plugins in DP8 are seriously good. And the MIDI implementation is second to none.

Of course there are pesky annoyances, as with any DAW, but they are not ever a real issue.

I do realize I speak only for myself and a few close colleagues who also love DP, but don't overlook this great DAW due to a few users' bad experiences. For some reason DP doesn't get a lot of love on GS. I will never use PT or Logic again after becoming fluent in DP.

-d
Old 27th June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot ➑️
1. Out of memory messages and massive memory usage in the memory bar. I have 8 gigs, but a session with a very average track and plug-in count at 44.1 kHz takes DP to the limit.
When you see the Memory Bar, it means that you have opened DP in 32bit mode. '32bit' means that an app can only use 4GB of memory at the most (3GB on Windows), so half of the memory on your computer is wasted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot ➑️
4. re-ordering plug-ins in the mix window is a tedious pain in the ass compared to Studio One.
Move your mouse to the left edge of the plugin on the mixing board, it changes into a hand, you can then drag the plug up or down to change the position in the chain.

I've spent only a little time with Studio One, I'm used to DP, so my experience was the opposite: no meter bridge?? no music notation?? no pitch quantize?? WTF??
Old 11th July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx ➑️
Yeah, only a book manual.. no PDF. Have fun searching! That manual (though extremely well written) is HUUUGE! Any 'absolute' grid mode yet for dragging MIDI notes, as of 7.2 it was only 'relative'? Still looks like no MIDI regions?

I know it sounds silly, but I honestly think DP is better served to people that are good players, and not so much for those into programming. Not saying it's good or bad, just my personal observation says an owner since v3.
I agree. Have used DP since 2.7. I'm loving DP8 but I really wish they made editing MIDI more along the lines of REASON. The guitar pedals and amp rooms are worth the upgrade, the skins are a great addition which I'm hoping MOTU will continue to expand on.
πŸ“ Reply