Quantcast
MOTU Digital Performer v. 8 shipping - Page 14 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MOTU Digital Performer v. 8 shipping
Old 3rd May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
on pc, same thing again.

works fine on my W7 laptop but not on the studio XP sp3 machine.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I've been messing around with this and it works great on PC! It's so weird yet amazing to have my beloved DP working on my Windows 7 PC- it's screaming fast and all my plugs seem to work in 64 bit VST- I've got Relab LX480, the Lexicon Reverb Bundle, Vahalla Verbs, Maag EQ, Stillwell plugs, SKnotes plugs, PSP plugs, Cytomic, Kush, Izotope, Nomad Factory, Dont Crack plugs, VEPro 5, NI Komplete, Spectrasonics, Korg Legacy Synths, DSM. and several others and they all work! I found myself just going to work like I did on my Mac only this computer is 4 times as powerful as my 2007 Mac tower, so things are just zipping along. Super fast loading plugs and VIs, and the audio sounds GREAT!

MOTU, I never thought this could happen but you pulled it off! Kudos!!!

Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by an.unna.kid ➡️
These are great news indeed.
Will try the demo tomorrow, any information on how Dp handles UAD2 cards and others? Also, does it have (much like Cubase) a internal Jbridge for 32 bit plugins to work in 64 bit?

Great day for PC users!
Yes. jBridge is a 3part application that works great with DP. So does UAD2 and everything else. (I'm referring to my DP/MAC experience.

Sent from my GT-I9100
Old 3rd May 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Do the DP 8 specs say it's XP compatible?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiogal ➡️
Do the DP 8 specs say it's XP compatible?
ahhh now there's the problem

i was looking everywhere for 'system requirements' which is the normal wording, not 'tech specs'.

anyway, its seems it's only windows 7/8 compatible. thats a shame as an awful lot of PC users are still on XP sp3, especially on their work machines as it's rock solid.

judging on the demo on my W7 laptop it could be good, seems solid enough with the test session but i wouldnt be changing over to W7 for it.

maybe down the line someday.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Will try the demo tomorrow, any information on how Dp handles UAD2 cards and others? Also, does it have (much like Cubase) a internal Jbridge for 32 bit plugins to work in 64 bit?

Great day for PC users!
+1 on working great with UAD2.. in fact, I've had UAD2 for 2.5 years, and it has never not worked well with DP in my system.

I'm really excited that MOTU has made this DAW available to Windows users.. you guys are gonna love it!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
MOTU scares me...
Old 4th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If find it hard to use.

It doesn't even recognize my M-AUDIO Keystation 61es MIDI keyboard.

And it has no integrated x86 to x64 bridge, or x64 to x86. That's one of the reason why I love Samplitude.

Next, I can't figure how to make simple things like :
- "when I stop playing, cursor automatically go back to were it was when playing started"
- play something in loop after selecting a range

The only thing I loved are : Live Room | G and Live Room | B plugins. I just wish they could be sold as separate VST plugins.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Slash ➡️
If find it hard to use.

And it has no integrated x86 to x64 bridge, or x64 to x86. That's one of the reason why I love Samplitude.

- "when I stop playing, cursor automatically go back to were it was when playing started"

The only thing I loved are : Live Room | G and Live Room | B plugins. I just wish they could be sold as separate VST plugins.
Oh, can't bridge x86 plug-ins in x64 mode nor viceversa? I was looking forward to this because I loved DP years ago when I worked somewhere else. Sad news, simply because I won't purchase jbridge when my current DAW does this by default. I would've purchased it in a heartbeat, no doubt.

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
DP8.02 is a very solid version, its so stable here on 10.8.3. I'm so happy and grateful to MOTU. I can feel the effort they put on this release. Congratulations to Motu and all the motu community.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos ➡️
DP8.02 is a very solid version, its so stable here on 10.8.3. I'm so happy and grateful to MOTU. I can feel the effort they put on this release. Congratulations to Motu and all the motu community.
+1

Very solid here on 10.8.3, best release since 7.24.

If the Windows version is this solid, it will change the game for MOTU.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
If find it hard to use.

As far as I know, DP doesn't recognize specific controllers. I'm not enough of
a Windows user to know how to set up your audio and midi and define your
controller as a device, but it should be simple enough.

No built-in bridge - yeah, maybe that's too bad. But there are third-party bridge applications available.

Why would you want the cursor to return to the point you were at before you
started recording? That doesn't even make sense. DP's cursor simply stops
right where you stop, showing where you are at in your sequence.

As far as looping a selection - that's easy. Start by selecting a track in the Tracks Overview window (the "big" window that shows you everything).
Above the section displaying all the tracks, you'll see a range window. Set
the range you want. Then, go to the "Region" menu, and when it opens, select "Insert Loop". A box will open and here you can set the range of the loop, and how many times you want it to repeat.

By the way, DP is the ONLY DAW that features the "Tracks Overview" window
where you can see all MIDI, audio, Aux, and Master Fader tracks, as well as
what is record enabled, online, offline, muted or soloed. No other DAW has
this.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yes, its very good.

BTW, maybe of interest since I have bashed DPs summing engine in the past. I recently did a test between PT 10 and DP 8 summing 13 stereo tracks in both DAWs. They nulled 100%. No more DP bashing from me, really digging DP 8. Now Magic Dave, you guys just need to implement hardware inserts like Logic and you're golden!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich ➡️
As far as I know, DP doesn't recognize specific controllers. I'm not enough of
a Windows user to know how to set up your audio and midi and define your
controller as a device, but it should be simple enough.
Well, Live 9 and Samplitude Pro X both recognize is as a USB controller without me doing nothing, and I can't figure how to enable it in DP8.

Quote:
No built-in bridge - yeah, maybe that's too bad. But there are third-party bridge applications available.
Indeed, but an integrated bridge avoid lot of glitches that may be introduced by 3rd party stuff.

Quote:
Of course it makes sense ! If the cursor position is for example : bar 3. When I press space to stop the playing, I want the cursor to go back to bar 3 automatically, instead of staying in the position it was were I stopped playback.

It's easier to check some parts of your mix. I use that feature all the time.

Quote:
As far as looping a selection - that's easy. Start by selecting a track in the Tracks Overview window (the "big" window that shows you everything).
Above the section displaying all the tracks, you'll see a range window. Set
the range you want. Then, go to the "Region" menu, and when it opens, select "Insert Loop". A box will open and here you can set the range of the loop, and how many times you want it to repeat.
I mean, not looping an audio sample to repeat it to a defined number of times. But looping a part of the mix, for example from bar 3 to bar 7. And playback this part in loop for checking in detail how it sounds and making mixing decisions.

Quote:
By the way, DP is the ONLY DAW that features the "Tracks Overview" window
where you can see all MIDI, audio, Aux, and Master Fader tracks, as well as
what is record enabled, online, offline, muted or soloed. No other DAW has
this.
Samplitude does this. You can hide master and aux tracks from the main view, but you can show it all too.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Lots of reasons. To go over a specific part of a tune over and over while making adjustments or overdubs of different instruments, for one. Of course, that doesn't mean I'd want it to be that way all the time. A simple key command to flip between modes is a perfect solution and it doesn't seem like a very difficult feature to implement. I use it in PT all the time.

Of course, it might already be in DP8. So of the options take some digging to find. I enjoy DP on Mac quite a bit.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Of course it makes sense ! If the cursor position is for example : bar 3. When I press space to stop the playing, I want the cursor to go back to bar 3 automatically, instead of staying in the position it was were I stopped playback.
"8" on the numeric pad toggles this functionality on/off. It's called "Auto-Rewind" in DP. Use "F1" to set where the playhead automatically rewinds to when you hit "Stop"

Quote:
I mean, not looping an audio sample to repeat it to a defined number of times. But looping a part of the mix, for example from bar 3 to bar 7. And playback this part in loop for checking in detail how it sounds and making mixing decisions.
"7" on the numeric pad toggles this functionality on/off. It's called "Memory Cycle" in DP. Use "F1" to set the in point of the loop, and "F2" to set the out point.

Quote:
Samplitude does this. You can hide master and aux tracks from the main view, but you can show it all too.
By using track folders you can essentially hide/show whatever you want in the tracks overview.

There is very little you can do in other DAW's that can't be achieved in some form or another in DP, in some cases MOTU's implementation is far superior, in some cases it's a bit less intuitive. But it's 99.9% there.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I have many friends who know I'm a DP and MOTU addict. They are very excited about DP now being available for Windows. So am I. I may even buy my first Windows based computer, just to see/hear differences.

My only big concern are the statements that DP isn't working with some hardware. DP has always worked for any hardware I've ever used. It even works great with Avid's hardware.

Whatever the problem(s) may be, I'm sure once the process of introductions and getting to know each other is over, MOTU will fix all hardware/software related problems. They always have in the past.

To all new users Mac or Windows, welcome!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimey1 ➡️
"8" on the numeric pad toggles this functionality on/off. It's called "Auto-Rewind" in DP. Use "F1" to set where the playhead automatically rewinds to when you hit "Stop"

"7" on the numeric pad toggles this functionality on/off. It's called "Memory Cycle" in DP. Use "F1" to set the in point of the loop, and "F2" to set the out point.

By using track folders you can essentially hide/show whatever you want in the tracks overview.

There is very little you can do in other DAW's that can't be achieved in some form or another in DP, in some cases MOTU's implementation is far superior, in some cases it's a bit less intuitive. But it's 99.9% there.
Thank you ! Very helpful .
Old 5th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
DP8 WIN seems to have an ASIO audio bug in this premier release. It's reported to MOTU and they are working on it. So don't let this put you down. MOTU will solve this.

Good that some helped out the REWIND guy. DP is big and deep. It's all there. Really! You just need to find it. It might have a different defenition/name. It might be right in front of you.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I never liked the fact I couldn't set it up to go back to previous position when playing/recording. There are plenty reasons for that, some of them have been commented here. Using a "marker" to determine this position isn't user-friendly either, sorry. DP is awesome, like I said, but it always had this minor "issues" that I always wanted to overcome.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro ➡️
I never liked the fact I couldn't set it up to go back to previous position when playing/recording. There are plenty reasons for that, some of them have been commented here. Using a "marker" to determine this position isn't user-friendly either, sorry. DP is awesome, like I said, but it always had this minor "issues" that I always wanted to overcome.

It is quite easy, click the 1st and 5th boxes under the rewind and stop button.

345 will loop the section, just highlight it.

With a couple mouse clicks you can get whatever transport behavior you like (there are a coulpe more as well).

Seriously, there is practically nothing dp can't do if you RTFM. The best part is rock solid stability.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagelove ➡️
It is quite easy, click the 1st and 5th boxes under the rewind and stop button.

345 will loop the section, just highlight it.

With a couple mouse clicks you can get whatever transport behavior you like (there are a coulpe more as well).

Seriously, there is practically nothing dp can't do if you RTFM. The best part is rock solid stability.
Yes, I understand this. That's how I did it years ago. I'm just saying it isn't as good as just having an option to tick, set-n-forget
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Great day for PC users!
I have not seen any evidence that there is an "internal Jbridge (like Cubase)" for using 32-bit plugins in 64-bit mode. The documentation on VST does not discuss any such feature.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well, to each their own - the first thing I do when using a new DAW that defaults Play/Stop-Rewind is switch that functionality to Play/Stop-Pause. DP's functionality is more akin to to a tape machine in that regard, where you use memory markers and toggles. Is it better or worse in the digital age where we can do whatever we want? I don't know. But I prefer it the old way when it comes to working in a multitrack enviornment.

That said, when working in a stereo file editor like Audacity for example, trimming samples and the like, I prefer Play/Stop-Rewind, more "MPC-like" if that makes any sense.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
DP works great with the 3part app jBridge that's available for 32 to 64 bit wrap for AU and VST.
Old 6th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimey1 ➡️
Well, to each their own - the first thing I do when using a new DAW that defaults Play/Stop-Rewind is switch that functionality to Play/Stop-Pause. DP's functionality is more akin to to a tape machine in that regard, where you use memory markers and toggles. Is it better or worse in the digital age where we can do whatever we want? I don't know. But I prefer it the old way when it comes to working in a multitrack enviornment.

That said, when working in a stereo file editor like Audacity for example, trimming samples and the like, I prefer Play/Stop-Rewind, more "MPC-like" if that makes any sense.
There you go, in other hosts there is an option for this That's all I'm saying, the workflow part depends on each individual, of course.
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Good to hear, I am on need of an upgrade very very soon!
Very soon!
Grrrr i hate upgrades, but i am looking g forward to this one: )
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiogal ➡️
DP8 WIN seems to have an ASIO audio bug in this premier release. It's reported to MOTU and they are working on it. So don't let this put you down. MOTU will solve this. .
Hmmm, I haven't encountered this bug. I'm on Windows 7 with two interfaces, a MOTU 828MkII and a Lynx Aurora 8 with the USB card. Both are working fine on my setup. Are people downloading the latest audio drivers from MOTU?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, I understand this. That's how I did it years ago. I'm just saying it isn't as good as just having an option to tick, set-n-forget

It is set and forget. You just have to set it first, then forget. You're just doing the forgetting part first.

Really, make an effort to learn to use it first before posting. No one can help you if your brain is closed down. The transport can do just about anything you want -- Auto Rewind, Auto Stop, Memory Cycle, Link Playback to Memory, Link Selection to Memory.
Old 6th May 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The DP8 Windows ASIO problems exists. MOTU suggests to use ASIO4ALL until they have fixed this issue in the next update to come.
ASIO4ALL seems to have solved my ASIO issues. Thanks MOTU.

The DP 8.02 MAC update is rocking.
📝 Reply