Quantcast
MOTU Digital Performer v. 8 shipping - Page 13 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MOTU Digital Performer v. 8 shipping
Old 26th December 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Just got another reply from MOTU CS. They now say the windows version should be released "in the next few months". Not looking better, but worse.
Old 18th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I switched to Logic from DP around 3 or so years ago. I loved DP and had used it since 1986, but it had become a bit unstable for me and it seemed to lag behind the rest (no sampler, no synths, crappy FX, etc...) and lots of niggly stuff that started bugging me. So out of curiosity and to be compatible with another composer I work with I went with Logic for a trial period, in hope that at some point I'd go back to using DP full-time again.
I bought each update, would install it, play with it and it just seemed to get worse.
Sluggish, stuttery video, it just didn't feel that good anymore.
I'm still not exactly enamoured with Logic, in fact I don't really enjoy the workflow, and for someone doing music scoring to picture on a daily basis, in my opinion, they left out
way too many features I had depended on with DP. Handling of data scaling (very quickly done with most parameters - durations, velocities, controllers, etc.), handling of time signatures, really thorough transposition maps (including by scale, mode, etc.), great markers, best graphic editing I've worked with, any kind of click setting (fast compound duple/triple time signatures grouped in any way I want - great for conducting an orchestra to and giving players click - they absolutely hate it when they get a really fast click in 5, 6, 7 etc... as single beat clicks, yuk!). And there's lots more. Really easy locator, quantizing and step-record in just about any tuplet (useful for runups, glisses, and it doesn't need to be robotic either).
So, for what I do or would like to do DP remains (in theory) the best sequencer I've come across. Only snag is that every update, no matter how innovative, just doesn't cut it on my old 8-core Mac Pro. I just got Version 8 and the latest 8.01, and on my system it just sucks to the point where I can't use it. Video stutters and almost grinds to a halt, frequent messages saying that DP isn't keeping up and need to increase the latency buffer, and eventually it crashes. WTF is this? Maybe DP, for all its thoroughness and elegance is getting a bit bloated with old code and way too much crap.
Even on my old computer, Logic works flawlessly and crash-free, have bought Cubase and am running 6.5 (love it and will most likely start using it regularly) and it also runs totally smoothly, hassle-free. Is anyone having similar problems? I wonder if I need a new computer or what? Other than with DP, my old Mac and 3 rack-mounted PC's (with Vienna Ensemble Pro) are working just fine.
Old 18th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by formusic ➑️
Only snag is that every update, no matter how innovative, just doesn't cut it on my old 8-core Mac Pro. I just got Version 8 and the latest 8.01, and on my system it just sucks to the point where I can't use it. Video stutters and almost grinds to a halt, frequent messages saying that DP isn't keeping up and need to increase the latency buffer, and eventually it crashes. WTF is this? . . . Is anyone having similar problems?
Yes.

Try doing a clean installation of DP8 on a clean Mac. By which I mean a Mac with a clean install of your OS. I know that is a huge pain -- having to install everything else that you use as well -- it can take days. But in my experience it's the only way to get DP8 to work well. It seems very different from DP7 on some deep levels, and those levels are in serious conflict. After a clean install of my Mac + everything else, and DP8, things have been working smoothly. I have the same or similar computer.

It's a good opportunity to clear out lots of other unwanted garbage that has collected over the years anyway.

Quote:
Maybe DP, for all its thoroughness and elegance is getting a bit bloated with old code and way too much crap.
Sigh. In my opinion this is all too true. I love DP for the same reasons that you do, and it drives me crazy in these same ways. I've felt that way since the switch from OS 9 to OS X. I miss DP 3.72 so so so so much.

Since OS X it's been nothing but CPU inefficiency, instability, and under-utilized computer power. When I try other platforms, on the same computer, with the same hardware, and see the difference in CPU usage and stability, it makes me scream.

But those other platforms are always missing features that DP has that I didn't realize I depended on so much until I didn't have them. So I switch back to DP, pour another glass of MOTU Kool-Aid, and stupidly hope that the next major update will include a major re-write of the code that relates to CPU use.

Still waiting.

In the meantime, despite all that criticism, I get my work done so fast on DP that it's kind of awesome.
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I switched to Logic from DP around 3 or so years ago. I loved DP and had used it since 1986, but it had become a bit unstable for me and it seemed to lag behind the rest (no sampler, no synths, crappy FX, etc...) and lots of niggly stuff that started bugging me. So out of curiosity and to be compatible with another composer I work with I went with Logic for a trial period, in hope that at some point I'd go back to using DP full-time again.
I bought each update, would install it, play with it and it just seemed to get worse.
Sluggish, stuttery video, it just didn't feel that good anymore.
I'm still not exactly enamoured with Logic, in fact I don't really enjoy the workflow, and for someone doing music scoring to picture on a daily basis, in my opinion, they left out
way too many features I had depended on with DP. Handling of data scaling (very quickly done with most parameters - durations, velocities, controllers, etc.), handling of time signatures, really thorough transposition maps (including by scale, mode, etc.), great markers, best graphic editing I've worked with, any kind of click setting (fast compound duple/triple time signatures grouped in any way I want - great for conducting an orchestra to and giving players click - they absolutely hate it when they get a really fast click in 5, 6, 7 etc... as single beat clicks, yuk!). And there's lots more. Really easy locator, quantizing and step-record in just about any tuplet (useful for runups, glisses, and it doesn't need to be robotic either).
So, for what I do or would like to do DP remains (in theory) the best sequencer I've come across. Only snag is that every update, no matter how innovative, just doesn't cut it on my old 8-core Mac Pro. I just got Version 8 and the latest 8.01, and on my system it just sucks to the point where I can't use it. Video stutters and almost grinds to a halt, frequent messages saying that DP isn't keeping up and need to increase the latency buffer, and eventually it crashes. WTF is this? Maybe DP, for all its thoroughness and elegance is getting a bit bloated with old code and way too much crap.
Even on my old computer, Logic works flawlessly and crash-free, have bought Cubase and am running 6.5 (love it and will most likely start using it regularly) and it also runs totally smoothly, hassle-free. Is anyone having similar problems? I wonder if I need a new computer or what? Other than with DP, my old Mac and 3 rack-mounted PC's (with Vienna Ensemble Pro) are working just fine.

DP8.01 works well for most users .
It's been totally rewritten,it's not bloated with old code.
DP8 is a total cocoa app now.
Users who are having the most success with it are using it in 64bit mode in the 64bit kernel.

You might want to visit Motunation to see if maybe there's a preference that need to be changed etc.....

A few users with multiple monitors have needed to upgrade their video cards,typically users who are using 3 monitors in SL10.68 and who do film work.

I use 2 monitors,I don't use DP for film,I have a 2008 MacPro 2.8 Quad with the stock video card and have not had issues in SL10.68 or ML10.82.

You might also have a plug,VI or DRIVER that needs to be updated, most users,actually almost all are finding projects that maxed out 7.24 now run much better in 8.01.
Of course ymmv but it sounds like a setup or preference issue in your rig IMO.

If you use Kontakt most users in 64bit mode in are also finding turning off Kontakt Memory Server helps,with Kontakt issues.

fwiw DP8.02 is close to being released,this will have a few fixes and coincide with the Windows release.
I was told the release will be soon,when I asked if it might be released during NAMM,I was told: "that's probably a very good guess"

Too many DP8 users are having a great experience with DP now I suspect this is an issue specific to your system.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Video stutters ....
and eventually it crashes.
A fresh OS install is the most comprehensive step you can take, make sure to test on a clean system before moving things back..

BUT

It may not be necessary. Do some basic troubleshooting first. You find good instructions here and here.

When your video stutters, the first step is to remove all 3rd party video codecs from /Library/Quicktime and ~/Library/Quicktime, reboot, test.

Another obvious step is to remove the content of /System/Library/Caches, /Library/Caches and ~/Library/Caches, reboot, test.

Also try to (temporarily) remove all 3rd party Audio Units from /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components to see if one of those causes the issues.

If you have, or ever had, Little Snitch, Netbarrier, Mackeeper or any antivirus software on your Mac, don't bother with any of these steps, just do an erase and install..
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgdrum_nyc ➑️
Too many DP8 users are having a great experience with DP now I suspect this is an issue specific to your system.
While there are a lot of people running DP8+ relatively problem free, I think the remaining issues (especially video) are far from rare. I have the same issues described above with DP8.

I installed DP8 shortly after a complete boot drive replacement and OS reinstall, and I still find myself going back to DP7.24 if I'm doing video work.
The performance difference between DP7.24 and DP8 is great, with v7.24 being much more smooth and stable. Video playback and memory management seem to be the most affected operations.

Granted, I have a MacPro (model 2,1) which unfortunately is just below the model 3,1 cut-off for 64bit operation, so I'm out of luck there. But even in 32bit mode DP8 is not optimal with my system hardware.

I think there have been a few surprises regarding the need to update hardware (video card and/or new CPU) in order to have DP8 run well or optimal, while the old hardware worked fine with DP7.24.

I have no doubt DP will get things in order over time, especially with the need to satisfy a new base of Windows users.
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotVeryLoud ➑️
While there are a lot of people running DP8+ relatively problem free, I think the remaining issues (especially video) are far from rare. I have the same issues described above with DP8.

I installed DP8 shortly after a complete boot drive replacement and OS reinstall, and I still find myself going back to DP7.24 if I'm doing video work.
The performance difference between DP7.24 and DP8 is great, with v7.24 being much more smooth and stable. Video playback and memory management seem to be the most affected operations.

Granted, I have a MacPro (model 2,1) which unfortunately is just below the model 3,1 cut-off for 64bit operation, so I'm out of luck there. But even in 32bit mode DP8 is not optimal with my system hardware.

I think there have been a few surprises regarding the need to update hardware (video card and/or new CPU) in order to have DP8 run well or optimal, while the old hardware worked fine with DP7.24.

I have no doubt DP will get things in order over time, especially with the need to satisfy a new base of Windows users.
IMO to really take advantage of DP8 most users who aren't having issues are in DP 64bit mode and in the 64bit kernel and they also have a good amount of ram to use.
I don't do video related work with DP but for users who are doing this in a 64bit , projects are actually running much better,of course with all of the system variables ymmv but most users who have this ability will not go back to 32bit in DP8 or 7.24.
If I had an older Mac I might be having a different reaction but for me 8 is way better than 7 and I get much more out of my modest setup.
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
IMO to really take advantage of DP8 most users who aren't having issues are in DP 64bit mode and in the 64bit kernel and they also have a good amount of ram to use.
Just to clarify: running the Kernel and Apps in 64bit mode are two different things, they have nothing to do with each other.

'64bit' means that more than 4GB of RAM can be used.

Running the kernel in 64bit mode means that the kernel can use more than 4GB RAM. This is relevant if you run a huge database, or a server. It's totally irrelevant for audio.

Running apps in 64 bit means that an app can use more than 4GB RAM. So if you have more than 4GB RAM installed, you should always run your apps in 64bit mode.

You can run apps in 64bit even if the kernel runs in 32bit.
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotVeryLoud ➑️
I have no doubt DP will get things in order over time . . .
I've said that to myself so many times since 2004 -- when I jumped from DP 3 on OS 9 to DP 4 on OS X. May I pour you a glass of delicious MOTU Kool-Aid? I have lots to share!

DP's CPU performance will only improve when someone over there at MOTU decides that doing some serious, boring, not-marketable work on the code for a period of time is more important implementing some nifty new features thrown in on top of the application.

I'm no software engineer, but I would guess that would require at least a year of effort, and they wouldn't really be able to hype it in the marketing if successful. e.g. "DP 9 now shipping, finally with decent CPU performance!" wouldn't really look so good in ads.

In the meantime, time for me to launch DP and get back to work!
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
For video, there seems like many people experiencing problems in DP8 have old/insufficient graphics cards...
Old 26th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
when there will be a version for PC?
Old 26th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon8409 ➑️
when there will be a version for PC?
my sources at MOTU have told me the next DP update will coincide with the initial Windows release of DP.
There's been rumors about the imminent release of OSX 10.83 many Mac users suspect MOTU will release the next update after 10.83 is actually released.
Too make a long story short, I'll say really soon! ;-)
Old 26th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I think DP8 Mac has served as the beta release for the Windows version.
Old 26th February 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
my sources at MOTU have told me the next DP update will coincide with the initial Windows release of DP.
There's been rumors about the imminent release of OSX 10.83 many Mac users suspect MOTU will release the next update after 10.83 is actually released.
Too make a long story short, I'll say really soon! ;-)
Thank you!
Old 27th February 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
It's been 5 months since the Mac release. Seems to me they've handled this poorly.
Old 28th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketeachesclass ➑️
It's been 5 months since the Mac release. Seems to me they've handled this poorly.
Right now, I am going to consider the Windows version vaporware.
Old 1st March 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjji ➑️
Right now, I am going to consider the Windows version vaporware.
It's not. There are images from NAMM2012 of DP8 running on Windows, so it almost certainly exists. I too am slightly annoyed at how long it's taken for MOTU to get around to a Windows release, but I understand they want it to be as great as it can be, and it makes sense that they'd let DP8 sink in with Mac users and be able to refine it before releasing the best Windows version possible. Also, I'm sure the release of Windows 8 didn't help their schedule.

Hopefully soon!
Old 5th March 2013

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I'm loving DP8.01, so far its working great with Mountain Lion at 64bit. My only concern is the mixer is not following track selections, that is a workflow killer for me.

Hope MOTU fix this in future releases.
Old 1st May 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Digital Performer for Windows, demo version

You can download DP 8.02 from MOTU.com - Welcome to MOTU Audio now.

DP 8.02 is available for Mac and Windows. DP 8.02 is also available as a demo version.

Enjoy!

Dave
Old 1st May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
FINALLY

Thanks for sharing.
Old 2nd May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicd ➑️
You can download DP 8.02 from MOTU.com - Welcome to MOTU Audio now.

DP 8.02 is available for Mac and Windows. DP 8.02 is also available as a demo version.

Enjoy!

Dave
no 32bit?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech ➑️
no 32bit?
anyone?
Old 2nd May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
anyone?
The Mac version installs both 32 & 64bit versions.
You can switch to either version,afaik the Windows version also installs both,Windows users have mentioned this on KVR.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The Mac version installs both 32 & 64bit versions.
You can switch to either version,afaik the Windows version also installs both,Windows users have mentioned this on KVR.
i cant even install the demo, i keep getting an error about missing some .lnk file or other. really wanna try it :/
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Installed the new DP8 version both on Macs and PCs today.
Both Mac and PC come bundled in 2 versions. 64 and 32 bit. The PC version has 2 program icons for this.
The Mac 64/32 bit is changed the usual way. (Get Info).

The new MAC version DP 8.02 is "snappier" as we say in DP-Land. Also noticeable lighter on the processor.

Experiencing DP8 on a PC laptop is weird but wonderful.

DP Rocks!!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
i cant even install the demo, i keep getting an error about missing some .lnk file or other. really wanna try it :/
Download the installer again and reinstall. Hope this helps.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
gonna try again. all i got last time was 1 installer 'DP802Full'

thanks
Old 2nd May 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Software MOTU Digital Performer 8 WINDOWS OUT NOW! DEMO available!

DP 8 for Windows is available NOW. Plus there FINALLY are DEMO versions for both MAC and WINDOWS!

DP 8 can now be downloaded directly from the link below.

Also the MAC version is updated to version 8.02 with a lot of improvements!

Try it! You may LOVE it

It's a great day in MOTU history!

https://www.motu.com/store_products/software/dp/
Old 2nd May 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Yeah that's the right file. But it could be a bad download. Don't forget to repair permissions on your OSX disc if you're on Mac.

Sent from my GT-I9100
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
These are great news indeed.
Will try the demo tomorrow, any information on how Dp handles UAD2 cards and others? Also, does it have (much like Cubase) a internal Jbridge for 32 bit plugins to work in 64 bit?

Great day for PC users!
πŸ“ Reply