Quantcast
MOTU Digital Performer v. 8 shipping - Page 11 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MOTU Digital Performer v. 8 shipping
Old 13th October 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Glad to see this thread which also lead me back over to motunation.
I will as always be waiting till V 8.1, I learned that lesson long ago.
For anyone looking to get into DP, it's a great program, one of the best IMHO.
You just have to see if there's a real reason to use it or something else.
I use Ableton Live for all my loopy, beat based building needs for example.
Old 15th October 2012

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I am a proud member of Motunation. I think James does a wonderful job there for us, DP users.

I agree that there are some members that take personal any comment and feel offended if you suggest something, that's weird, I know.

But Motunation has been a very useful tool for me, many of the tricks I know about DP, were taken from Motunation.

A lot of members (James included) are always trying to help other motunation members, and without James, there would be no help for us, motu users.

I could choose any DAW, and to this day, my money goes to DP. I don't need anything else. Yes DP8 is in the first stage of a .0 version. But it will be awesome in the next releases, I'm sure about that.

I just want to say Thank you James Steele.

Best regards.

delcosmos.
Old 18th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Still learning DP8, have had limited time this week with it.

But the more time I DO spend with it, the more impressive it is.

TH
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks ➑️
Still learning DP8, have had limited time this week with it.

But the more time I DO spend with it, the more impressive it is.

TH
You can expect that to continue.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Still waiting on the Windows version...
Old 19th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketeachesclass ➑️
Still waiting on the Windows version...
At least another month away.

I contacted MOTU to ask, and that's what I was told.

Hope it is a solid Windows 7 & 8 Release. Given Windows 8 will be out this month.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp ➑️

Hope it is a solid Windows 7 & 8 Release. Given Windows 8 will be out this month.
That is exceptionally disappointing. The windows version is the whole reason I upgraded. I suppose I should have waited before shelling out though. Their promise of it being out "soon" doesn't hold up if it's almost 2 months after the main release.

Bummer.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketeachesclass ➑️
That is exceptionally disappointing. The windows version is the whole reason I upgraded. I suppose I should have waited before shelling out though. Their promise of it being out "soon" doesn't hold up if it's almost 2 months after the main release.

Bummer.
+1

Totally agree with you. That's why I called MOTU.

I was also disappointed to see no Windows DP8 released along side the Mac version, given the big marketing/announcements of the Windows version around the beginning of this year. Still waiting....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So as some of you know, I'm new to DP, trying to learn it on the side while I continue to use Logic. So after a day's work, at night, I start up DP and start studying. Tonight, I discovered MULTI BOUNCE.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

This is the coolest thing in the world. In fact it is a feature I suggested to Digi about 8 years ago, and everyone was saying "wow I would go for that," and of course nothing happened.

MULTI BOUNCE.....you do a mix of the whole song. Now say you want to do a "Vocals Up" mix. Just duplicate the sequence (CHUNK), call it "Vocals Up," and raise your vocals. Keep duplicating sequences making changes to each mix, or create stems or whatever. Then choose "MULTI BOUNCE" and go get coffee. DP will do all the bounces at one time! It's like a "Bounce Queue." This is about the coolest thing for me because I often have to do (or want to do) multiple versions of the same song. And all of this is without shutting down the project as each project can contain multiple sequences. So no more need to "SAVE AS" and do separate versions, it's all in the same file. Too neat.

I also imported a video and created streamers for video hit points, way too cool.

This program really rocks, although it will be a few weeks before I am really up and running with it. Really deep, really good looking, really powerful.

TH
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well considering its going to be a new release on a new platform also with a new Windows OS also being released at the same time,MOTU might want to iron out any kinks that Mac users are finding and make sure the 1st release for Windows is as close to perfect as possible.
I'm speculating but I suspect there will be a .01 Mac version addressing most of the minor issues which will coincide with the Windows release.

1st impressions last a long time, if MOTU had rushed DP8 Windows to market before it was actually ready
would you be happy?
I think MOTU not wanting to rush this to market if they think DP8 Windows needs a bit more work is actually commendable.
If the release is a Home Run & people love the release no one will remember it was delayed 1 or 2 months.
Who's ever happy that a company rush's a product to market that needed a bit more work before it was actually ready, just to meet a release date?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by biomuse ➑️
You can expect that to continue.
And so it does. I don't know how this program lives so far under the radar

TH
Old 19th October 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgdrum_nyc ➑️
Well considering its going to be a new release on a new platform also with a new Windows OS also being released at the same time,MOTU might want to iron out any kinks that Mac users are finding and make sure the 1st release for Windows is as close to perfect as possible.
I'm speculating but I suspect there will be a .01 Mac version addressing most of the minor issues which will coincide with the Windows release.

1st impressions last a long time, if MOTU had rushed DP8 Windows to market before it was actually ready
would you be happy?
I think MOTU not wanting to rush this to market if they think DP8 Windows needs a bit more work is actually commendable.
If the release is a Home Run & people love the release no one will remember it was delayed 1 or 2 months.
Who's ever happy that a company rush's a product to market that needed a bit more work before it was actually ready, just to meet a release date?
I absolutely agree, if its a home run.

I just hope it's not a case where the windows version perpetually lags the Mac version by a month or more. I really want to like this release.
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey guys

How is reason rewired into dp 8 64 bit working for you?

Also I am just getting into some reason programming and if you use reason and any version of dp, how we'll to do they work together?

Thanks for any info
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I am getting more and more intrigued by DP8.
I just purchased the Groove3 tutorial, 6 hours of watching Eli work with it should give me a good idea of whether it's for me or not
Old 20th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
So as some of you know, I'm new to DP, trying to learn it on the side while I continue to use Logic. So after a day's work, at night, I start up DP and start studying. Tonight, I discovered MULTI BOUNCE.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

This is the coolest thing in the world. In fact it is a feature I suggested to Digi about 8 years ago, and everyone was saying "wow I would go for that," and of course nothing happened.

MULTI BOUNCE.....you do a mix of the whole song. Now say you want to do a "Vocals Up" mix. Just duplicate the sequence (CHUNK), call it "Vocals Up," and raise your vocals. Keep duplicating sequences making changes to each mix, or create stems or whatever. Then choose "MULTI BOUNCE" and go get coffee. DP will do all the bounces at one time! It's like a "Bounce Queue." This is about the coolest thing for me because I often have to do (or want to do) multiple versions of the same song. And all of this is without shutting down the project as each project can contain multiple sequences. So no more need to "SAVE AS" and do separate versions, it's all in the same file. Too neat.

I also imported a video and created streamers for video hit points, way too cool.

This program really rocks, although it will be a few weeks before I am really up and running with it. Really deep, really good looking, really powerful.

TH
you know, i'v been a DP user since ver3 and have never found a use for multi bounce, that it's a revelation to you and your workflow speaks volumes as to how deep a program it is in some ways.

still...(is there way to disable the CUFKING tooltips?) someone tell me please!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimey1 ➑️
you know, i'v been a DP user since ver3 and have never found a use for multi bounce, that it's a revelation to you and your workflow speaks volumes as to how deep a program it is in some ways.

Hit my first downer tonight, tried to freeze a Stylus RMX track, and was really bummed to see it pretty much played the whole track in real time to do it. In Logic of course a bounce in place is real fast, non real time. Yikes that's a drag.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

TH

Wow, this is something that I would really need!!! Especially when bouncing different mixes (vocal up, tv, acapella, etc)!
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hit my first downer tonight, tried to freeze a Stylus RMX track, and was really bummed to see it pretty much played the whole track in real time to do it. In Logic of course a bounce in place is real fast, non real time. Yikes that's a drag.
freeze and bounce are two different things. One realtime, one at speed your cpu can handle. Your manual will help you with that , and when to use each. 'Tis a great manual.
Deleted User
Quote:
Menu Help --> Show Help Tags

Select that option and it will uncheck - that what you're looking for?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by labcomp ➑️
freeze and bounce are two different things. One realtime, one at speed your cpu can handle. Your manual will help you with that , and when to use each. 'Tis a great manual.
Thanks I read it, and I know when to use each. And when one uses Freeze (since they don't have BOUNCE IN PLACE like many other DAWs), it is a LONG wait.

So I suppose one could BOUNCE a VI to disk, then drag it back into their timeline, but it is 2012 and one would have hoped for something a little more up to date than that workflow.....sigh.
Old 20th October 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
You can and could, for a long time, bounce to disc to a new track in the sequence.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soy Sos ➑️
You can and could, for a long time, bounce to disc to a new track in the sequence.
Yes I found that one page 886 of the manual, it's just what I wanted.
Except it isn't there anymore in DP8, the bounce dialog no longer shows and option for "Import to Sequence." ARRGH!

UPDATE: AH HA! IT IS THERE, but you have to choose one of the formats to bounce to that will allow it....fantastic, all is good again!
Old 24th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lysander ➑️
I am getting more and more intrigued by DP8.
I just purchased the Groove3 tutorial, 6 hours of watching Eli work with it should give me a good idea of whether it's for me or not
I also purchased these tutorials. Great stuff!

cheers
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp ➑️

Seems pretty clear to me why DP8 Windows is so late..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So freeze is realtime and "bounce" is offline?

Since MOTU doesn't believe in sharing I may get restless and bend one of my ethical rules and seek out the DP 8 pdf manual on the torrents. :(
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Yes freeze is realtime, but you can freeze as many tracks as you want in one pass and they all get printed to individual tracks that have all fx and volume/pan automation printed to the track. you can now apply more fx to the track, change the volume etc. Send information just gets copied over to the new track. this is different from say Cubase's freeze - which last time i used cubase (ver 5) you could only freeze one track at a time, and once frozen you couldn't adjust or add fx to it. Maybe it's different now?

But either way...it's REALTIME....but you can freeze AS MANY tracks as you want in 1 pass. So that's the upside.

Bounce is done offline, but only one subset of tracks can be bounced at a time. Bounces can be imported automatically into the sequence or saved elsewhere. Be careful bouncing to other locations, then quitting DP w/out saving...it will ask you if you want to "delete all files created during this session" - this includes non-imported bounce files. Hit "yes" and your bounce will disappear, even if it's saved to another drive etc....
Old 25th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Bounce is done offline, but only one subset of tracks can be bounced at a time.
What does that mean?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence ➑️
What does that mean?
I think he's referring to the fact that DP runs bounces at higher than real time.
(You also don't have the option of monitoring during a bounce) I'm guessing as fast as your system is able depending on processor load. To save time when I'm doing stems I'll usually disable the tracks I'm not including in the bounce to speed things up even if those tracks are muted.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence ➑️
What does that mean?
say i have a one minute song with three tracks, kick, snare, hi hat - i can freeze these tracks in realtime, it will take one minute to do all three, and i'll get individual prints of each track inserted into my mix.

bounce on the other hand works faster than realtime, but my output is one singular file - if i bounce these three tracks, it might take 10 seconds, but i'll get one audio file with kick, snare, and hi hat mixed down together.

what im saying is - you can't select 10 tracks "bounce to disc" and then get 10 tracks back...use freeze for that. btd will give you a complete mixdown through whatever bus you choose.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by labcomp ➑️

Yeah if you want it to export faster bouncing is the way - freezing is always in real time.
πŸ“ Reply