Quantcast
Rayphlex 661x2 Nebula compressor programs - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rayphlex 661x2 Nebula compressor programs
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Software Rayphlex 661x2 Nebula compressor programs

First off, if you have full Nebula- GRAB the free 'Community Edition'. With it you can see how improved these comps really are.

This is a new set of compressors I've made for Nebula. Nebula compressors have had a reputation for not really being too reliable for their compression abilities, and many people just use them for their tone and use a separate VST for compression. I think this set of comps should change that. They are based on very transparent hardware but the results still sound like analog compression. You can even do limiting with some of them and the sound stays transparent, but smooth. 'Based on' comps that should be considered a modern classic.
Nebula release: Rayphlex 661

I've dug really deep into the 'guts' of how the programs work and made several adjustments that I feel have addressed the known 'bugs' that compressor programs have. The attack and release controls work as they should and stay consistent. You can use deep compression and it still sounds natural. Not only have I (in my maybe not so humble opinion) 'fixed' the compression behavior, but I've sampled extra controls beyond the usual that you get with compressors. Usually comp programs have only had the ratio control sampled at various positions, but the hardware I used to make these had a TON of options. It includes a bass phase shifter/enhancer from the units and most importantly, an 'upper-frequency expander' section that includes 2 additional sampled controls. With those extra controls you can 'back off' on the compression for the higher frequencies, which is awesome for when the compression makes things a little 'duller', or if you just want to make the highs pop a little more.

These things are PACKED with controls and they all respond and do something. Attack is fully variable from .05ms to 100, and release from ~0 to 4 seconds, and the annoying 'clicky' behavior some Nebula comps have with fast release isn't here. Threshold control is here, and ratio (sampled) is fully variable up to 30:1. There's hard knee programs with and without the additional expansion controls, which allow you to set a high freq cutoff, then an amount that you want everything above that point to be 'expanded'. Every program has a highpass control that adjusts a filter on an internal sidechain. Fully variable up to 1kHz (on the actual hardware it's only a switch, off or at 80Hz). Combine the sidechain filter with high expander and you can get pretty surgical. These were actually sampled from 2 units (seq serials) in stereo config.

The compression works great and sounds great. But don't take my word for it, if you own Nebula you can grab the free program and hear it for yourself! Of course it is limited control-wise, but you can clearly hear the ability of the compressor to actually compress. Check it out! Oh and I have some audio demos too.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have to say that your programs are the most unique in the Nebula world. I liked how you mixed 661 into one of your previous sets with tapes and I'm hoping that you will do more of that type of combo programs.

I will be getting this one for sure.
Thanks
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
This is is one really great compressor guys. Tim has done an amazing job of getting a more natural compression from the Nebula engine. Go and try it out coz it really is ground breaking.

Old 25th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
This is the ONE!!
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
This really is an amazingly good compressor. I'm preferring it to the NI Varicomp which has been my fave (for about a week, ha ha) and others. In the SoftKnee II mode it's just blowing my mind. It's one of the most "natural" sounding comps I've used.

If you have Nebula and $10, you should get this for sure. Try the free "community" version first. I thought that was good. Then I got the paid version which goes to another realm. The less CPU-intensive 5 kernel versions of these comps sound very good and quite close to the 10 kernel versions which are extremely CPU intensive.
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot ➡️
The less CPU-intensive 5 kernel versions of these comps sound very good and quite close to the 10 kernel versions which are extremely CPU intensive.
yeah. to be honest i think the 5k versions could maybe 'be better', soundwise and 'technically' (although 'sounding better' is in the realm of opinion) than the 10k versions in lots of cases. mainly, if you aren't going to be really squeezing something down by too many dBs, then you might actually want to stick to the 5k one. the units are so 'clean' that they just really don't produce much distortion, and it really kind of amazed me to see how low those higher orders were. i honestly just considered doing like a 7k version for the highest one, because at one point it almost seemed pointless to do the 10k. those higher orders are really quiet, and if you aren't using much compression, they will be literally non-existent, so you would be using that extra CPU for no reason. not to mention that in some small ways which i really don't want to get into (partly because it has to do with the volterra math behind Nebula which is WAY over my head), the 5k program's harmonic structure is a little more 'accurate'. it has less harmonic orders, but what it does have are a little bit more technically accurate. that's a tradeoff that's always there in Nebula.
Old 25th September 2012
OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Did you also managed to have better readings from the GR meter in Nebula?
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU ➡️
Did you also managed to have better readings from the GR meter in Nebula?
to be honest that was one thing (maybe 'the' one thing) i didn't look into trying to improve. it just wasn't on my list of priorities, with all the other things i was trying to straighten out. i didn't really think about it, and honestly at one point i was going to cut it out completely to make room for something else (until i realized i didn't have to).

i haven't even done tests to see if it's working better as a result of the things i did do, but maybe someone else can say? if i get some time i might check it out.

i did focus a fair amount of effort on getting the thresh control to match up with where the knee is actually at. i'm not going to say it's perfect, but i think it's about as close as it could be.

as with all my stuff these will probably be subject to future updates... i already have a few ideas for additions when i get time. i might glance at the gain reduction meter at some point but it was a bit complicated looking from what i saw.
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i just did some tests on some tones, and the gain reduction meter actually seems to be pretty accurate! it's a little more accurate with the hard-knee comps, but even the soft knee one seems pretty close!

the only thing about the meter that's kind of weird is that instead of going back to 0dB, it stays at the last gain reduction level if no more input comes in, and eventually it will drop down to -192. but, if input comes in and doesn't get compressed, it does go to 0db. so that's a bit unusual, but it only happens when there's silence so i don't think it really matters, because then you'll know there isn't any compression anyway.

but in my tests the actual results were very close! 20db gain reduction of gain reduction would show very close (within a fraction of a dB) to -20dB on the meter. that's pretty cool since i paid absolutely no mind to it. i guess it just came out that way because i calibrated the thresh control pretty closely.
Old 28th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
What a Breakthrough! The only compressor itb that compress like it shoud and sound like analog compression. And b.t.w its worth the price just for the bass phase program, pure bass magic.
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Phukk - just tried the demo. Finally a comp that sounds like a comp. A masterpiece. Where do I sign?
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupwise ➡️
i just did some tests on some tones, and the gain reduction meter actually seems to be pretty accurate! it's a little more accurate with the hard-knee comps, but even the soft knee one seems pretty close!

the only thing about the meter that's kind of weird is that instead of going back to 0dB, it stays at the last gain reduction level if no more input comes in, and eventually it will drop down to -192. but, if input comes in and doesn't get compressed, it does go to 0db. so that's a bit unusual, but it only happens when there's silence so i don't think it really matters, because then you'll know there isn't any compression anyway.

but in my tests the actual results were very close! 20db gain reduction of gain reduction would show very close (within a fraction of a dB) to -20dB on the meter. that's pretty cool since i paid absolutely no mind to it. i guess it just came out that way because i calibrated the thresh control pretty closely.
Haha, great!
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Curious if anyone can let me know if Nebula has become more user friendly recently?

I remember being quite confused by it in the past so have stayed on the sidelines for the moment.
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Demo sounds Incredible !

Ciro
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just downloaded the demo, but hell - I may as well just buy it. Sounds like you've done some really great work here.
Old 28th September 2012
monad
Proper compressor programs, because of the difference in the engines, work only in Neb 3 PRO, but some simpler ones work also in Neb 3 (standard).

Do these work in Neb 3 standard?

thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by monad ➡️
Proper compressor programs, because of the difference in the engines, work only in Neb 3 PRO, but some simpler ones work also in Neb 3 (standard).

thanks
no, they wouldn't. i don't know if they would even load. they might load, but it wouldn't give you the real experience.

i think what i might do, is i might try to put together a free demo program that would actually work with free Nebula (free neb uses latest Neb tech, ala Nebula Pro/Server, so the comps would work properly with it). this way even people who don't own nebula can see what the comp does. if i do that, the free demo version will have to be slightly more limited than the 'community' version i'm already giving away, because i wanted that one to be kind of more like a 'gift' to the community who already own Nebula. i might just take out the 'upper frequency expander' controls, which i haven't even seen anyone talk about much (and those controls are very limited in the community version anyway, being reduced to a simple on/off switch)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibralux ➡️
Phukk - just tried the demo. Finally a comp that sounds like a comp. A masterpiece. Where do I sign?
well, i could send you a special contract, full of lots of fine print which, trust me, you wouldn't want to bother yourself with reading. i'll have a lawyer drop by with it.
or you could just click the buy now button at my site. whichever is more fun.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football ➡️
Curious if anyone can let me know if Nebula has become more user friendly recently?

I remember being quite confused by it in the past so have stayed on the sidelines for the moment.
to be honest i think this always has been it's weakest point (this is just my opinion of course). BUT i think that the problem is maybe split into two categories:

a) GUI that's in some ways a little out of date. examples- controls not being able to have complete words as labels, because of limit on how many letters you can use, controls like 'liquidity' being in every program, but in my opinion probably shouldn't be there (same for attack/release with preamp style programs where they usually do almost nothing you can hear)- but those controls could actually be removed by the devs of the programs themselves. just having those 3 extra controls that really aren't needed adds a little clutter. but there have been improvements in this area too, such as the easier/quicker to use menu that you can select programs from. it's more like a 'drop-down list' style menu, rather than the slow, tedious lists that were built into the nebula gui window.

b) the more 'advanced' settings, which scare lots of people into thinking they don't have it set up right. now this category, i think is mostly illusory. the program is set up to run optimally 'out of the box'. people just see those additional parameters and think they could tweak something to be better. the thing is, that just like with any program or plugin or software, there are always going to be these hidden parameters. usually the developer sets them while programming, and doesn't make them available to the end user (think of a plugin that uses oversampling with no option to turn it off. that's just one example, and i'm sure that probably EVERY plug-in has things like this built in, that could have been made available to the user to adjust themselves). but the thing is, there will always be certain uses of the end program where having those parameters in a different position might be 'best' for that rare case. nebula lets you access those parameters, but the fact is, that they are set up to produce the best results 99% of the time. they are there for tweakers who want to dive in and 'hot-rod' the inner workings, to maybe get better results in specific cases. they are like trim pots in a guitar pedal, you don't have to mess with them, but you can. at least, this is my take on it. some of the parameters ARE good to know in general, and yes some of them could be a little easier to understand and that would be where an updated manual would be nice. but like, for example, these compressors in this set, will run perfectly with a clean nebula install.

anyway, there is a free version of Neb that you can grab and see for yourself if you think it's any better. i'll probably try to have a free demo version of a hard knee comp from this set available soon to work with free Neb.

-tim
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monad ➡️

thanks
Quote:
no, they wouldn't. i don't know if they would even load. they might load, but it wouldn't give you the real experience.
Cupwise, demo worked fine to me, zero issues and I´m using the Nebula2. Will I have troubles using the final version of your comp?

thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciro ➡️
Cupwise, demo worked fine to me, zero issues and I´m using the Nebula2. Will I have troubles using the final version of your comp?

thanks
honestly, i don't even have a copy of Neb 2 to test with. Neb 2 is like what, 5 years out of date? ) when you say that the 'demo worked fine' for you, do you mean that it actually gives you compression and that the compression works like you would expect from algo vst comp? i really wouldn't think it would (it would kind of blow my mind if it did), and however well it does work i would really expect it to work much better with nebula 3 pro. because neb 3 pro was the first one to introduce 'core ii', which as far as my understanding goes, was mainly a set of improvements for compressors specifically.

with that said, i would imagine that however the community program sounds for you with 2, the set would probably be the same, but that's really just a guess, and i would *strongly* have to recommend 3 pro. in fact i'm pretty sure that with the case of compressors it's basically a minimum requirement. the program may load for you and it may 'sound nice', but i'm 99% sure that the compression behavior can't be right with neb2.
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For Mac i understand that there is nebula 3. And not a nebula 3pro. Is that correct? So that it will work as it should on nebula 3, for mac?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
honestly, i don't even have a copy of Neb 2 to test with. Neb 2 is like what, 5 years out of date? when you say that the 'demo worked fine' for you, do you mean that it actually gives you compression and that the compression works like you would expect from algo vst comp?.

sounds perfect , to be honest, better than any vst comp I own , for this specific source (*attack and release at minimun)

no comp and Rayphlex:
Attached Files

NO COMP.mp3 (84.7 KB, 1684 views)

COMPRESSED.mp3 (84.7 KB, 1581 views)

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregerlindberg ➡️
For Mac i understand that there is nebula 3. And not a nebula 3pro. Is that correct? So that it will work as it should on nebula 3, for mac?
I just asked Giancarlo and he says that there is only Nebula 3 Pro, and Nebula 3 Server for Mac, and NOT the older Nebula 3. And yes these comps will work well (as they should) on either Nebula 3 Pro or Server, on Mac.

Quote:
sounds perfect , to be honest, better than any vst comp I own , for this specific source (*attack and release at minimun)

no comp and Rayphlex:
hmm, ok i don't want to sound insulting, i just want to clarify that you ARE talking about *Nebula 2* and not just the old vanilla Nebula 3. correct? i just want to be sure.

edit- btw maybe i should have you do my audio mp3 demos yours is a little more straight to the point than mine
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
you ARE talking about *Nebula 2* and not just the old vanilla Nebula 3. correct? i just want to be sure.

Yes, this is the Nebula 2.

this...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, this is the Nebula 2.

this...
well, i don't know quite what to say except that i personally haven't tested the set with Nebula 2, there are almost surely some aspects of them that wouldn't work correctly or as well as if used with Nebula 3 pro, and maybe some of the other programs from the full set wouldn't even load (who knows). so i can't recommend you buy it, and i couldn't support you if you did and something didn't work out. i never even considered anyone would still be using nebula 2 and so it's pretty much 'unsupported' with it. (this goes for anyone else who may get any ideas, and i already have a strong recommendation for Nebula 3 Pro at minimum at the site)

but i'm surprised it does seem to be working well for you. the clip you posted does sound nice. this is all really all i can say.

EDIT- also, i thought they had discontinued Nebula 2 quite a while back. huh.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
so i can't recommend you buy it, and i couldn't support you if you did and something didn't work out.
In fact I bought the Nebula 2 (2 or 3 months ago) just for use the Mammoth eq, but I´m sure it will works better (and probably load quickly) on Nebula 3 pro.
I understand you and I´ll buy the comp anyway, if won´t works I´ll upgrade to Nebula 3.

Congrats for the amazing comp :-)

Ciro
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
What sample rate are these Nebula programs?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun ➡️
What sample rate are these Nebula programs?
44.1kHz and 96kHz both are available. sampling was all done in 96kHz originally, with Lynx Aurora 8, and then the 44.1kHz set was made by resampling the impulses with sox, which has great (among the best) resampling.
Old 28th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Holy.....it works! At last ITB compression works ! On drums and master bus. Thank you ! Only 10$. Amazing.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioprojekt ➡️
Holy.....it works! At last ITB compression works ! On drums and master bus. Thank you ! Only 10$. Amazing.
prices are subject to change.
i actually was kind of thinking of this as an 'introductory' price when i first set it, which i might then eventually raise by a few dollars. i'm not sure though. i did put lots of work into it. i wanted to have a lower price at first just so people would grab it and maybe talk about it, get a little thing going etc.

who knows if i will though, i sometimes do these things on a whim (sometimes my prices sneak up or down a dollar or two).
📝 Reply