Quantcast
Rayphlex 661x2 Nebula compressor programs - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rayphlex 661x2 Nebula compressor programs
Old 6th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No problem!

I mean, anything from having to pay more myself..

(I jest - of course you should experiment as you please to find a model that works for you)
Old 6th October 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I'll be totally honest about pricing: Your stuff is certainly worth more, Tim. And, if the prices were doubled, for example, I'd be priced out. How lame is that!? Just telling my truth. That said, I encourage you to grow your business / hobby. Love your stuff.
Old 16th October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hi,

I didn't receive any email about update. I have Rayphlex A and I think I found a bug. The 5K Hard w/UFE program is not responding for any changes of the values. Can someone confirm that ?
Old 18th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioprojekt ➑️
Hi,

I didn't receive any email about update. I have Rayphlex A and I think I found a bug. The 5K Hard w/UFE program is not responding for any changes of the values. Can someone confirm that ?
contact me with your email address so i can get you the update links. same goes for anyone else who didn't get the update.

as far as the bug you mentioned, i just double checked and the controls all seem to be working fine. questions:
a) can you get the 10k w/ufe to work? if so does it behave the same way?
b) what host do you use? which nebula version (3 pro or server, 32/64bit, version number)?

you can go ahead and give me those answers when you contact me with your email address for the updates, so we don't have to go back and forth about it here. but if anyone has had this bug, please let me know, either here or by email. i've seen people talk about using the 5k w/ufe since the 10k didn't work for them, so you're the only one i've seen with a problem with it so far.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Hey Cupwise!

Just an update...I haven't downloaded the updates yet but I've been able to run the 10k instances fine.

I don't know what happened...A week ago I couldn't run them and now they run fine.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Hey Tim,

You sent me an email with updates for Rayphlex on October 14. When I click on those links I get the following message in my browser:

"This is probably not the site you are looking for!
You attempted to reach Cupwise FX, but instead you actually reached a server identifying itself as *.ipage.com. This may be caused by a misconfiguration on the server or by something more serious. An attacker on your network could be trying to get you to visit a fake (and potentially harmful) version of Cupwise FX.
You should not proceed, especially if you have never seen this warning before for this site."

So I'm not sure what to do. Do you (or anybody else) have any thoughts on this?
Old 19th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It is perfectly safe to ignore the warnings and the files will download.

I tried and had no issues and Tim confirmed it was OK on Neb forums.
Old 19th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 ➑️
It is perfectly safe to ignore the warnings and the files will download.

I tried and had no issues and Tim confirmed it was OK on Neb forums.
Thanks
Old 20th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ok so i just finished up another update to the first part of my Rayphlex set. a lot of it is cosmetic. I renamed all of the extra programs to have clearer descriptions of what they are, and i think the menu/list just looks a LOT better this way. then some controls have been removed, and some added, to many programs. i got rid of 'dist' because these things are pretty clean and it's just pointless, among other reasons. got rid of 'makeup' for programs with feedback detection due to the makeup gain being in the detection path, which is a Nebula flaw and means that makeup control influences compression (it shouldn't). the only way to deal with it on my end is to remove the control from those programs. to make up (get it) for that, i've added look-ahead and dry controls where i could, so now lots more programs have those.

then the 'soft 2' compressor had some bad samples so i resampled it. i think that's it! so, if you have Rayphlex A, you should be getting an email soon with links to the updates.
Old 20th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupwise ➑️
ok so i just finished up another update to the first part of my Rayphlex set. so, if you have Rayphlex A, you should be getting an email soon with links to the updates.
Thanks for all of your hard work!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Cool! Definitely gonna' buy this - thanks for the info.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagz ➑️
Thanks for all of your hard work!

Just received email with the update.
Thank you, Tim

Ciro
Old 24th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i've just finished the 1.25 update for part B which brings it up to speed with the latest part a update. for part b the updates are again largely cosmetic, the name scheme is tidied up and some controls that i've deemed less necessary have been removed and replaced with others. so more programs now have look ahead and dry (to mix some dry signal back in) controls built in. so if you have part b you should be getting the email.
Old 25th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciro ➑️

Just received email with the update.
Thank you, Tim

Ciro
Copy that...in regards to the 1.25 update for part B!
Old 27th May 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Rayphlex Mk II - huge update

HUGE update. I've decided to revisit this library, and give it a complete over-haul, bringing it in-line with how my recent compressors work 'under the hood', as well as having JPN to make skins for both N4 and N3. As with my other comps, the N3 skins allow you to switch between lite, full, and shq without your settings being reset. Unfortunately N4 doesn't allow this possibility so the N4 skins don't do it, but they still look nice!

I think it's fair to say that the original release of this library holds a 'historic' spot in Nebula history, and was considered by many to be the first working Nebula compressor, as evidenced by some of the posts in this thread (and at acustica and kvr). I also think it's fair to point out that at least one or two methods I pioneered in this release became commonplace in Nebula comps immediately afterwards and still to this day. Meanwhile some other things in it are still unique (like the high frequency controls; and for a long time, allowing adjustable *slow* attack speeds without all kinds of weird behavior). So it feels really good for me to go back and breathe some new life into it. I'm really happy with how it came out, and I think I might like the skins JPN did for this one more than any others he's done for me.

IMPORTANT INFO-
The library was originally released in two parts, one for hard and one for the soft knee. This new updated version has them both combined into one release, renamed "Rayphlex MkII". Anyone who had bought BOTH parts in the past, gets this new MkII upgrade for FREE. I've just sent out emails for that. But a lot of the sales were clear back in 2012, so a lot of those emails bounced already. If you own it and didn't get the email, contact me and we'll get you the MkII.

For the customers who only bought one of the two parts, I sent out another email, offering them a deal to upgrade at a discount. The offer is that you basically buy the other half that you didn't buy in the past, and that upgrades you to the full MkII set (instead of having to buy it at full price). I think it's $16. But those customers just have to email me if they want to do that, and I'll send an email with a code they can use to get Mk II at the discount.

I'm going to post the update info in the next post just to keep things a little organized!

oh and, here's the page for mk II !!
Rayphlex Compressors MkII | Cupwise FX
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What's new-

* Originally this library was released in two separate packs, one for hard and soft knee each. Combined them both into one release. Update is only free to past customers who bought both the hard and soft knee packs in the past. Anyone who bought just one or the other will have to pay $16, which is like buying the other half of the set that they didn't have, to get the full updated new library.

* New skins for both N3 and N4. N3 skins allow you to switch between lite, full, and SHQ versions with the click of a button without the controls being reset to default positions (which normally happens when switching programs), which is really nice and convenient.

* Rebuilt the vectors from the original tone sweeps, allowing me to really reassess and re-edit the impulses.

* Attack and Release controls and their behavior were completely recreated, and are much closer to the hardware than before. The scaling on the controls is different than it was in the original programs. The attack control has a lot more range before 20ms, allowing you to more easily fine tune faster attack settings (it also matches the hardware more closely).

* Harmonic impulses were drastically reduced in number, with no loss of quality. Many of the samples in the old programs were just noise floor, and had no actual impulse content. Those were tossed out. I came up with a new way of handling the harmonics too, which further allowed me to reduce the amount of impulses needed.

* Rescaled the ratio control. It's way better now. In old programs, the higher ratios took up most of the range on the control. Now the lower ratios are more spread out (and more closely match the hardware, too).

* Different kern options were replaced by 'lite, full, shq' options, which do use different kern amounts but have other differences beyond just that. SHQ gives the most accurate low bass response but uses a huge amount of CPU resources and can only be used for rendering. Lite versions still use the 'old method' for the compression, which is still good (and what got this library well known when it was originally released), and allows them to use much lower CPU than full and SHQ.

* The full versions of the hard and soft knee programs with the high frequency enhancer controls now require very fast CPU to use live, and on my system I can't do it. So you'll probably need to use the lite versions of those programs until you're ready to render and then swtich to full or SHQ. The 'softer' programs include the high freq controls too but you may be able to run the full version of that live since it doesn't have a ratio control which makes it less CPU intensive.

* The compressor programs now all use the completely updated methods my newer compressors have been using, which allows the faster attack settings to be more accurate, except for the 'lite' programs which still use the older method. This does increase CPU use, but at least that's offset a bit by the CPU use reduction acheived by some of these other changes I made.

* Gain reduction meter has been improved.

* Dist control removed from comp programs.

* Attack and release controls for the 'soft 2' comp have been replaced to be the same controls found in the other comp programs. Those controls were just a switch between 'fast' and 'slow' settings in the old programs

* Old dry control, which only added some dry signal back in, replaced with wet control, which allows you to do a fade between wet and dry signals, allowing quick and easy 'new york style' compression. Hard and soft knee programs with HFcon don't have this since there aren't enough controls allowed, to include it.

* Look-ahead only goes up to 1.5ms now, which is good enough if you want instant compression with no peaks getting through.

* Side-chain high pass filter range reduced down to 600hz instead of 1khz.

* The Overdrive pass-through program has been completely rebuilt. The way I programmed that one in the original release was pretty wacky. I can see what I was trying to do but it was just needlessly weird. So now it's like my other pass-through programs. It still saturates when you drive it, and is probably better in that regard now.

* The many bonus programs (various extra versions using different feedback/feedforward detector settings, and different detection types like RMS, etc.) are gone. I think it's best to just focus on trying to get the main programs to be as accurate as possible.

* External sidechain programs are also gone. I believe at some point acustica updated nebula, removing the sidechain ability. No idea why, but they don't work now so I removed them.

* Moved library to new location inside Nebula. 'CC9' for 96khz and 'CC4' for 44.1khz. CC stands for Cupwise Compressors. My latest comp release, SmackVU, is also in that same location, and I plan on having some others moved and/or released there as well. The end result will be that if you have some or all of the comps grouped there, you'll have quick access to several different compressors, all in the same spot. Seems better than having every different comp in its own category (some of my comp releases will stay in their own categories though).

* Removed the 'Soft II No UFE' programs/vectors. I decided they weren't really needed because the Soft II programs that do have UFE don't require much more CPU use. There's less of a difference than with the hard and soft knee programs with and without UFE. Nothing unique is being lost here by removing the program, you can get the same results by using the Soft II with UFE program, and just leaving the UFE control at 0%.

* Library is now called MkII since this is a pretty massive update. Also now it's just called 'Rayphlex' since it includes both hard and soft knees.

* Updated manual to reflect all changes and include info for both hard and soft knee programs, and added my logo which I didn't have on original release.

* Almost surely some other minor things I've completely forgotten about.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
As with my other comps, the N3 skins allow you to switch between lite, full, and shq without your settings being reset. Unfortunately N4 doesn't allow this possibility so the N4 skins don't do it, but they still look nice!
How does a company like AA actually lose funcionality like this in newer versions of their flagship product?

Congrats on the update. Loving flucti and lunchpail.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
you'd have to ask them. i'm not really trying to make a scene or issue out of it (especially now that i'm apparently not an 'official' dev anymore), it's their choice. i just need/want to explain that there's a reason my N4 skins don't do it.

I specifically requested that feature be added into the skins around 5yrs ago, and they added it in. nobody else used it and even i hadn't used it for a long time after it was added in. so maybe that has something to do with it.
Old 2nd June 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i do think it would be possible to still have buttons that switch between the different versions of the compressor programs, in a skin for Nebula 4, but when switching all of the controls would be reset. i've been thinking about doing something like that with future compressor skins. it might still be a little more convenient, compared to having to go menu diving in the nebula menu. i might try testing that out with the new compressor i'm working on.
Old 2nd June 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The new skin is really sweet, the ability to switch between Lite/Full/SHQ this way is tremendously useful. I’d love to see this functionality in other products (particularly Smooth609) even if it didn’t have such a nice looking skin.
Old 6th June 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
that is the plan. my last 3 comp releases were released that way (flucti-mew, lunch pail, and smackVU), and i want to update slick9k, smooth 609, and c660 to both use my more recent compression methods, and have N3 skins with program switches, as well as N4 skins.
Old 14th June 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
that is the plan. my last 3 comp releases were released that way (flucti-mew, lunch pail, and smackVU), and i want to update slick9k, smooth 609, and c660 to both use my more recent compression methods, and have N3 skins with program switches, as well as N4 skins.
Hi Tim!
I purchased the mkII bundle but I see that not just the SHQ but also the FULL programs are not able to run live. The only one which runs live is the Softer+UFE Full program.
IS this normal or there is some mistake?

edit* I just read again your announcement about "what's new" and you explain it well there.
But it would be nice if you could do something to use the full programs like your other libraries.
Old 14th June 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
in the manual i pointed out that you shouldn't expect to be able to run even the full versions of the Soft and Hard knee programs that have the extra HFC controls, and that i can't on my system. those extra controls mean there are 3 sampled (in the normal sense, not counting attack/release) controls in those compressor programs- ratio, HFC amount, HFC frequency. no other nebula comp like this exists, with multiple sampled controls like that. it was kind of an experiment when i did it, and rayphlex was actually my first comp. so, having the 3 sampled controls makes it much more complex and CPU intensive. i even mentioned that you shouldn't expect to run them live on my page for Rayphlex. so i think you should consider those programs as kind of a bonus, if you're running N4. if you're running N3 you can use the N3 skin and easily switch between lite over to full or even SHQ for rendering, so there's not really a problem.

the hard and soft programs without hfc, you should expect to at least run a couple of instances of those in full. especially if you're running at 44.1khz. if you can't do that i'd have to guess you're running a fairly underpowered system.. ? i wish there was something i could do to bring the CPU use down a little more with the full versions of my comps but they are designed how they need to be to get the best quality out of them. i don't really know what you mean when you say 'do something about full like your other libraries'. what other libraries? flucti, smackVU, lunchpail, and C254-e give almost identical cpu use, compared to the hard/soft programs without HFC.

you haven't mentioned anything about the HFC vs non HFC programs at full, so i think you should definitely try those other programs out if you haven't.
Old 14th June 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
in the manual i pointed out that you shouldn't expect to be able to run even the full versions of the Soft and Hard knee programs that have the extra HFC controls, and that i can't on my system. those extra controls mean there are 3 sampled (in the normal sense, not counting attack/release) controls in those compressor programs- ratio, HFC amount, HFC frequency. no other nebula comp like this exists, with multiple sampled controls like that. it was kind of an experiment when i did it, and rayphlex was actually my first comp. so, having the 3 sampled controls makes it much more complex and CPU intensive. i even mentioned that you shouldn't expect to run them live on my page for Rayphlex. so i think you should consider those programs as kind of a bonus, if you're running N4. if you're running N3 you can use the N3 skin and easily switch between lite over to full or even SHQ for rendering, so there's not really a problem.

the hard and soft programs without hfc, you should expect to at least run a couple of instances of those in full. especially if you're running at 44.1khz. if you can't do that i'd have to guess you're running a fairly underpowered system.. ? i wish there was something i could do to bring the CPU use down a little more with the full versions of my comps but they are designed how they need to be to get the best quality out of them. i don't really know what you mean when you say 'do something about full like your other libraries'. what other libraries? flucti, smackVU, lunchpail, and C254-e give almost identical cpu use, compared to the hard/soft programs without HFC.

you haven't mentioned anything about the HFC vs non HFC programs at full, so i think you should definitely try those other programs out if you haven't.
Sorry Tim,
I did edit my post... you really mentioned about this, both in your posts here and in the manual.
Actually I was talking about the HFC programs at full.
By saying 'do something about full like your other libraries' I was meaning that at all of your compressors libraries that I have (lunchpail, flucti, smooth609) my system is able to run the FULL programs. But, as I told you, I had miss your statement.
Anyway, you are doing a great job, I love and use daily your compressors - from time to time I'll go to grab your new "limited time" bundle and I wish for a n4 skin for the smooth609 bundle

cheers
Old 15th June 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's ok. I maybe should actually state something along the lines of the HFC programs as being kind of bonuses. In the past, rayphlex was using the 'old method' of doing compression (it was my first compressor after all), which used much less CPU. The newer method I've been using with the full versions uses more CPU unfortunately, but I feel like it's kind of a must. It eliminates risk of artifacts with bassy inputs (which was a problem with the old method), which allows you to smash things like kick drums etc, with no fear, and get realistic results.

So when I was updating Rayphlex, I discovered that when switching to the newer method, the full versions of HFC became barely run-able on my system, at 96khz (again, because they're more complex than any of my other nebula comps, or as far as I know any nebula comp out there (because of the multiple sampled controls), not including acquas which work entirely differently). It created kind of dilemma for me, on what to do about that. I thought about keeping the HFC programs using the 'old method' with full, and SHQ for the new method but I decided against it because I think 'full' should represent a top quality that you can render with without hesitation. Allowing the ringing artifacts with bassy inputs there just wasn't an option.

It kind of left those programs in a bit of limbo because now you can barely run the full versions on what's probably an average system. But it is what it is. If I could find a way to lower CPU more I would do it.
Old 22nd June 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just sent out links a little bit ago, for updated skins for the N3 skins. when i sent out the rayphlex mk2 update i missed the fact that the Nebula 3 skins for the 'softer' programs don't keep the control positions in place when you switch programs with the switches. there was a lot updated in that release so it was easy to miss that one detail.

if you don't use the n3 skins, you don't need to worry about it. if you do, all you need to do is get the updated skin .zip i linked in the email, and just replace the previous skins with the new ones. just the skin files in the 'skins' folder in the .zip. nothing else has been updated, just those files.
Old 17th December 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
New update

emails are currently being sent out for this update, it will be a couple of hours before they're all sent.

*added 48khz and 88.2khz sample rates.

*the ripple that appeared in the low bass frequencies in the SHQ program (it was worse below 50hz) is now gone. it only affected the SHQ programs. the 44.1khz version of the SHQ programs also had a more minor ripple in the upper freqs approaching 20khz, and that's also gone.

*lite versions of all compressor programs have been changed to use the same method as the full and shq versions. this means they use more CPU now, but they have the same accuracy in the attack/release as full and shq versions. more importantly, it also removes the artifacts that the lite versions could produce with bassy inputs in the past (which was the trade-off that allowed them to use less CPU).

*the full and shq versions of the hard and soft knee programs with HF control have had their CPU use reduced. they still use about twice as much as the ones without the HF controls, but before this update I couldn't run the 96khz full versions live, but now I can (barely). I had to completely redo the coding for the sample use which allowed me to optimize everything and remove a lot of redundancy (many samples were being used more than once).

*SHQ programs use less harmonic kerns now because the actual hardware comps are very clean when it comes to harmonic distortion and the harmonics are all very low, especially beyond the 3rd or 4th. This also means that these should render just a little faster now.
Old 26th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
n4 skin update

You can ignore this if you still use N3, because nothing is updated for you (you already have these skins).

This is a pretty important update, because it allows N4 users to use the skins that allow users to switch programs by clicking buttons/switches on the skins, and you don't lose your settings. This allows quick and easy switching between lite/full/shq versions before rendering, for example, as well as switching between hard and soft knees

I think this really opens up use of this release in Nebula 4.

I've sent out all the emails so if you own rayphlex and didn't get one check your junk folder, and if it's not there, get in contact with me.
πŸ“ Reply