Rayphlex 661x2 Nebula compressor programs - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rayphlex 661x2 Nebula compressor programs
Old 1st October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupwise ➑️
haha, whoops! you were right. i could have sworn that i had them set up properly, but they weren't. i didn't have a copy of neb free to check so i had to download/install one, and they didn't show up.

they should be fixed now, so try re-downloading them. sorry it took so long, i've been pretty busy! let me know if there are any other issues.
-tim
It's fixed!
Thank you!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Beast ➑️
What is the gain staging rules with this lib? Is it -18...what is the sweetspot range of this device ?
actually yes, they were sampled at the -18 dBFS = 0 VU standard. i suppose i should have put that in the manual somewhere. slipped my mind.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How do I get the upgrade???
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibralux ➑️
How do I get the upgrade???
if you bought before the update was released, you have to download it from the links i posted earlier in the thread (in the post where i announced it). if you bought afterwards, you already have it.

EDIT- and for the record, to any who are wondering, i do almost always email out news/links of updates to customers. this time i didn't, but for a few reasons. i'm very busy trying to get some other stuff out, and having to deal with updates like that over email takes some time. 2nd, there's going to be another update before too long, and that one will have an email notification.
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ok thanks - got it prior the release. Just found those links and already downloaded. Thanks!
Old 2nd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Even with just the limited demo on Free Nebula, i have to say this is a winner! I think i 'll buy Nebula 3 Pro one of this days.... I have to make some more cash for it. Maybe for christmas!
Old 3rd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Oh my God!
Old 3rd October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Unit ➑️
Oh my God!
Yes
Attached Files

RayphlexRoom.wav (3.38 MB, 482 views)

RayphlexRoomdry.wav (3.38 MB, 421 views)

RayphlexBassdry.wav (1.47 MB, 390 views)

RayphlexBass.wav (1.47 MB, 389 views)

RayphlexSnaredry.wav (1.02 MB, 407 views)

RayphlexSnare.wav (1.02 MB, 463 views)

Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Does Nebula work in Cubase 64?

Hi

Just got one question, does Nebula work in Cubase 64?

Regards
Nacka
Sweden
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacka ➑️
Hi

Just got one question, does Nebula work in Cubase 64?

Regards
Nacka
Sweden
that, i can't answer. i imagine yes. the way to find out is to see if it will run Neb free:

download it here, and see.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Seriously, though, I've actually purchased nebula comps before and then always regretted it afterwards. I was prepared for this to be more of the same: hype followed by disappointment and digital dust-collecting.

But based on the feedback so far I tried the demo, and I agree there's something really truly amazing going on here.
The way it reacts to transients... I don't have anything in the box that reacts like this thing does.

Now I just want you to sample more comps!

(and I'll be giving the rest of the cupwise collection a closer look too...)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
does Nebula work in Cubase 64?
Yep....Working well here in Cubase 6.5.3, 64bit.
Old 3rd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Don't want to rain on the parade but although I found the attack to be really good and 'grabby', the release was doing strange things when I tried it on piano - this was confirmed when I tried it against other plugins. To be fair, I didn't try it on anything else. Thanks for the free demo anyway!
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Sweet, just bought it
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I bought it even though I have no immediate use for it I still want to support the developer of these great libraries . It is a very capable compressor and I'm hoping there would be more creative additions to this library like the other one with a combination of 661 with some tapes in the chain.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
short test on drums

Original

-3/4 db Gain reduction bus compression on drums

attack 25ms, fast release, 100hz highpass on:

Drawmer 1968 ME

Rayflex

In retrospect I should have lifted the highpass on the Rayflex a bit further as the 1968 keeps more bass - but they are pretty close...
Attached Files

Original.mp3 (700.1 KB, 716 views)

1968.mp3 (670.5 KB, 764 views)

Rayflex.mp3 (656.2 KB, 844 views)

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOfAllTrades ➑️
Don't want to rain on the parade but although I found the attack to be really good and 'grabby', the release was doing strange things when I tried it on piano - this was confirmed when I tried it against other plugins. To be fair, I didn't try it on anything else. Thanks for the free demo anyway!
is anyone else getting anything like this with the demo or community versions? i had someone else say the community one was acting weird. i don't have time right at the moment to investigate and track down what/where the problem is (but nobody has said anything about the full set versions).

anyone else?
Old 4th October 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Grabbed the demo. Loved it on drums and acoustic guitar. Bought the full release. Didn't have luck trying it on vox, but was very impressed with the other applications. Agree that it's the best Neb comp yet. Fate comp is my second fave Neb library. This one's even better. Cheers to Tim!
Old 4th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➑️
short test on drums

Original

-3/4 db Gain reduction bus compression on drums

attack 25ms, fast release, 100hz highpass on:

Drawmer 1968 ME

Rayflex

In retrospect I should have lifted the highpass on the Rayflex a bit further as the 1968 keeps more bass - but they are pretty close...
Yep, sounds pretty close...
Old 5th October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 ➑️
Yep....Working well here in Cubase 6.5.3, 64bit.
On 6.5.4 64 bit as well. I also use a "reverb" version of Nebula. Cupwise, thank you for wet/dry.
I found that Ray need longer attack on master, if I want to emulate a "SSL" behavior. Or maybe Im wrong ?
I have a 4K program, but cant achive on it what The Glue does with longest attack and shortnes release. So I try on Ray and I think Im pretty close.

Wys?ane z mojego X10i
Old 5th October 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Thank you, Tim, for the wonderfully written manual that comes with the full version. Really looking forward to diving deeper into experimentation with this set, after reading. Very helpful. This is obviously a labor of love for you, and I'm glad to have access to your stuff. Thanks for making it so affordable.

Old 5th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i just want to give an advance warning here- the soft knee set is gong to come out soon (i know i've been saying this a while). it's almost done. the thing is, i had loosely promised it would be 'about' the same price as this first one. i'm going to go against my word, sort of. it will be the same price (as the first set), for 2 days after i first put it up. then it will go up closer to 15 (and i think this one will go up a little also). i don't feel so much of a NEED to justify this (i think most people will understand), but if i were going to try to i would say that-
a) it's taken more work to finish the 2nd part than i expected it to (hoped it would be out already, and this is why it isn't yet). and in general these things have just taken tons of work, and much of it is of the frustrating, bug hunting, trying to figure out why things don't work but should, type that i think is making my hair thin
b) i've made very little at what i've been doing, for the 2 years i've been doing it now. i'm not going to get into this too much because i don't want to look like i'm looking for sympathy. i am and always have been fully away of the laws of supply and demand, and i chose to make things that were not 'in demand'. it was my choice, and i enjoyed doing that stuff, and i'll continue making more of it. but i never made anywhere CLOSE to the money to justify doing it. also, i like having stuff set at what i consider to be cheap prices. but my original idea was that it would generate more sales, and up until now it really hasn't. i need to start caring about $$ to be able to keep doing this. i'd like to look at doing other comps and even continue doing some of my less usual stuff too. but the equipment costs money and i have living type expenses as well, etc etc.
c) based on the reviews here, and things people have been saying, and seeing some of the prices on vst comps on ads/banners while i'm here that are being sold for upwards of 200$, i think i might just be under-pricing my stuff a little TOO much. i'm not ever going to go up that high or even close. i'll still always set my prices at what i consider low. but still, i want some of that sweet, sweet moolah. just kidding (sort of).
d) i think that about covers it.

so for 2 days i'll keep my word. get it while it's at the 'introductory' price, if you've been interested in it! i'm happy with how things have gone with part A, and not just in terms of my sales but the REALLY AWESOME things people have been saying about this set. it really feels great.

so watch this forum for the next few days if you've been waiting on Part B. it'll be in a new thread..

-tim
Old 6th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
tim. you are a sellout.

lol! I'm just kidding.

Hurry up and release part 2, already! I will gladly buy it.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Amazing stuff Tim! I'm looking forward to the soft knee package.
bitewounds
Quote:
i just want to give an advance warning here- the soft knee set is gong to come out soon (i know i've been saying this a while). it's almost done. the thing is, i had loosely promised it would be 'about' the same price as this first one. i'm going to go against my word, sort of. it will be the same price (as the first set), for 2 days after i first put it up. then it will go up closer to 15 (and i think this one will go up a little also). i don't feel so much of a NEED to justify this (i think most people will understand), but if i were going to try to i would say that-
a) it's taken more work to finish the 2nd part than i expected it to (hoped it would be out already, and this is why it isn't yet). and in general these things have just taken tons of work, and much of it is of the frustrating, bug hunting, trying to figure out why things don't work but should, type that i think is making my hair thin
b) i've made very little at what i've been doing, for the 2 years i've been doing it now. i'm not going to get into this too much because i don't want to look like i'm looking for sympathy. i am and always have been fully away of the laws of supply and demand, and i chose to make things that were not 'in demand'. it was my choice, and i enjoyed doing that stuff, and i'll continue making more of it. but i never made anywhere CLOSE to the money to justify doing it. also, i like having stuff set at what i consider to be cheap prices. but my original idea was that it would generate more sales, and up until now it really hasn't. i need to start caring about $$ to be able to keep doing this. i'd like to look at doing other comps and even continue doing some of my less usual stuff too. but the equipment costs money and i have living type expenses as well, etc etc.
c) based on the reviews here, and things people have been saying, and seeing some of the prices on vst comps on ads/banners while i'm here that are being sold for upwards of 200$, i think i might just be under-pricing my stuff a little TOO much. i'm not ever going to go up that high or even close. i'll still always set my prices at what i consider low. but still, i want some of that sweet, sweet moolah. just kidding (sort of).
d) i think that about covers it.

so for 2 days i'll keep my word. get it while it's at the 'introductory' price, if you've been interested in it! i'm happy with how things have gone with part A, and not just in terms of my sales but the REALLY AWESOME things people have been saying about this set. it really feels great.

so watch this forum for the next few days if you've been waiting on Part B. it'll be in a new thread..

-tim
Def ask for more if you feel it's just! I bought the damn thing eventually, 'cause it's great. Would have paid 15 or 20 as well.

But, perhaps compare it to the prices of cool sample library companies, not VSTs – Isn't the work process much closer to recording and sampling an instrument than to programming an entire plugin? Small companies like Tonehammer sell their libs for prices ranging from 0 to 249 dollars – depending on size and amount of work I guess. Anyway, I for one am really happy with the prices of Nebula libs, and/but I think 50 bucks is the absolute upper limit at this point and for what it is.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitewounds ➑️
But, perhaps compare it to the prices of cool sample library companies, not VSTs – Small companies like Tonehammer sell their libs for prices ranging from 0 to 249 dollars – depending on size and amount of work I guess. Anyway, I for one am really happy with the prices of Nebula libs, and/but I think 50 bucks is the absolute upper limit at this point and for what it is.
yeah, you're absolutely correct that there is a big difference between what i do and programming a plug-in. the plug-in side is Nebula itself which was designed by Giancarlo and so that credit is his. and there are even other things that determine why those companies can sell their comp plugs for >100$, such as their name and whatever established reputation that goes along with it, including how often they update/fix problems, and even customer service. lots of things get factored in, either by them before setting the price, or by customers before deciding to buy (or not).

but as i already said, my prices will always be cheap. i said i wouldn't ever go as high as them "or even close". i think the comparison IS fair when just talking about the sound quality though, that people seem to think that this comp competes with some of that stuff. as i just pointed out, that's not the only factor, but it is, or at least should be, a big one. but don't worry- i'm not going to go anywhere close to that type of price scheme. i was just making the point that, if i raise my price to 15$, it's still 100+$ cheaper than some comp vsts out there (but of course you already have to own nebula, which has it's own price tag).
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitewounds ➑️
Isn't the work process much closer to recording and sampling an instrument than to programming an entire plugin?
sampling something like a preamp for use in Nebula is dead easy. anyone could do it, as long as they know how to set the levels properly. there are other things you can do though, and some things that nobody has done yet and maybe nobody has even thought of doing (and things nobody ever will think of doing), where you can go do it, but it takes more work. i would say that something like Kontakt instrument sampling/programming is maybe pretty close, but that's just the thing, you left the programming part out. some of the kontakt sets get a lot more in depth with that, adding new things to the instrument's ability. the sampling/recording part is one thing, then there's the stuff that's a little more like programming that you have to do afterwards, which will come into play if you want to do something that hasn't been done before, or if you want to optimize something a little better than it would be by default, etc etc. there are always things you can find to do to improve something. the UFE controls required that i make a new template, which took a few hours for me to figure out. getting the compression to work well took over a week just on that. calibrating the thresh controls so that they actually are at the value (or at least close to it) that you put it at, took some digging to find what to tweak, then time tweaking it. altogether there's been maybe 4 weeks or more of work, most of it looking at a computer screen at lots of parameters and the program structure/code, and editing the samples so they are trimmed down to only the lengths they need to be so that thousands of sample per program would still have a chance of running on an average computer. so in some ways it's a little like programming too.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
sampling something like a preamp for use in Nebula is dead easy. anyone could do it, as long as they know how to set the levels properly. there are other things you can do though, and some things that nobody has done yet and maybe nobody has even thought of doing (and things nobody ever will think of doing), where you can go do it, but it takes more work. i would say that something like Kontakt instrument sampling/programming is maybe pretty close, but that's just the thing, you left the programming part out. some of the kontakt sets get a lot more in depth with that, adding new things to the instrument's ability. the sampling/recording part is one thing, then there's the stuff that's a little more like programming that you have to do afterwards, which will come into play if you want to do something that hasn't been done before, or if you want to optimize something a little better than it would be by default, etc etc. there are always things you can find to do to improve something. the UFE controls required that i make a new template, which took a few hours for me to figure out. getting the compression to work well took over a week just on that. calibrating the thresh controls so that they actually are at the value (or at least close to it) that you put it at, took some digging to find what to tweak, then time tweaking it. altogether there's been maybe 4 weeks or more of work, most of it looking at a computer screen at lots of parameters and the program structure/code, and editing the samples so they are trimmed down to only the lengths they need to be so that thousands of sample per program would still have a chance of running on an average computer. so in some ways it's a little like programming too.
Actually, it is programming...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior ➑️
Actually, it is programming...
yeah. i'd agree. and if you look at the plug-in vsts out there, probably most of those are re-using bits of code that have been floating around for years and years. i've seen threads where people discussed how the algorithms behind EQ filters are the same. now i don't know anything about that to know how accurate that is, but i imagine that it's at least close to the truth. the EQs that seem to sound a little better probably take the basic math a little further and add things like subtle saturation for the bands, oversampling, etc etc etc until they have something that sounds different and like an improvement.
so in some ways, it's not really THAT different (what i do vs. plugin devs). the programming aspect is going to be more intense on their side, but then they don't have to worry about sampling, editing samples, organizing them and otherwise dealing with them (which at ~45,000 samples in the entire comp set, can be a bit of a nightmare). the sampling alone took me several days for these comps, and all of these things take experience (it took 2yrs for me to get to this point).
Old 6th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mr Cupwise,

I really appreciate your clear explanations and the level of thought you put into both the libraries and the business.

I think almost everyone here can feel your pain in regards to long hours with little to no pay...

Have you ever considered following Reaper's licensing model, where the price changes depending on if you are a "professional" or a "hobbyist"? They draw that line at $20k income from audio work, I believe...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i've always thought that reaper's pricing model is awesome, so it's kind of funny that i haven't ever thought about using something like that myself, until you suggested it.
it's something to consider. some of my stuff, something like that might not be so applicable, but other things where more time was put into it then maybe yes. good idea!
it will be kind of tumbling in the back of my brain for a while. thanks.
πŸ“ Reply