Quantcast
Rayphlex 661x2 Nebula compressor programs - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rayphlex 661x2 Nebula compressor programs
Old 29th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This thing is amazing.......just amazing. You could easily double the price and it is still an unbelievable value.
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've just made a few updates.

a) now there is a free demo version available that will work with any free Nebula.
grab it here

b) i've added some things to the set. such as duplicate programs for external side-chain input, some of the programs now have a dry % control that you can use to add dry signal back in (which works well because the phase matches nicely), and some of them now have an 'ahead' control which is already usually in most comp programs but i took it out to make room for other stuff and because i never thought ahead was useful. later i saw that it could be used for limiting, so now i've added it back in, for a few progs.

if you have the set you can grab the 44kHz update pack here
and the 96kHz update pack here.

one other thing, if anyone bought the 44k version of the set, make sure that that's what you got. some people were getting the 96k version instead. if this happened to you, contact me.
Old 29th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Bought it, love it. Want some more.
Old 29th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Bought, great,great,great!
bitewounds
Guys, can one of you proclaiming that "finally ITB compression works!" explain what you exactly mean by that?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can see that in all Nebula programs there is a "drive" slider that is meant for adding harmonics and saturation - but it seems that it adds artificial/software generated harmonics rather than the one that comes from the actual hardware.

Can anyone confirm if it's the case or not?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Beast ➑️
I can see that in all Nebula programs there is a "drive" slider that is meant for adding harmonics and saturation - but it seems that it adds artificial/software generated harmonics rather than the one that comes from the actual hardware.

Can anyone confirm if it's the case or not?
not exactly.

a) it's not in every program. the developers can kind of 'customize' the controls that you get, and by default that control WILL appear in most or all programs, but the dev can change that, for various reasons. like i remove it from 1k programs because for those it has no effect anyway. another example is in this set i removed it for some comps because the other controls took too much room and so something had to go and i chose to remove it. another thing is that the dev can rename the control, and i usually rename it to 'dist' (for distortion) just because i think it's a more accurate name.

b) i don't know if i would say it's 'adding' the saturation/distortion, and i definitely wouldn't call the saturation/distortion 'artificial'. what the control really is, is just a mixer control for the distortion that is generated by the program. that distortion was actually sampled from the unit, so it's no more artificial than any other aspect of the sound you get out of the program. the control in question is merely a gain control that adjusts the level of those harmonics, relative to the fundamental.

so you can think of it like this- each harmonic that is generated is it's own separate 'sample'. that goes for the fundamental (the main body of the sound, not the distortion) also. so since each of these are separate samples, you can actually 'mix' them together at whatever ratio you want. what's 'artificial' about it, is that if you do adjust that control away from it's default '0dB' position, then you are setting a ratio that isn't really representative of the hardware. if you leave the control alone, the harmonics will be at the level that they would be in the actual hardware (with exceptions, such as extreme distortion stuff which nebula can't handle too well). but if you boost it by 10db, now it's like you are un-naturally just raising the level of the distortion up, relative to the fundamental. it can still sound good, and it might even sound good to lower it, but the results aren't as "realistic" at that point.

so really it's just a like a mixer control for the distortion/harmonics. it doesn't generate/add additional distortion that wasn't already there, it just raises or lowers the level of what is there.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitewounds ➑️
Guys, can one of you proclaiming that "finally ITB compression works!" explain what you exactly mean by that?
Well, I didn't say it but I agree with the sentiment. It's just hyperbole that's attempting to let people know this compressor is good enough to distinguish itself in a major way from other ITB compressors we've used. If you're looking for "accuracy" in verbal descriptions of sound processors, you'll never find it. The whole thing is totally subjective and doesn't lend itself to accurate verbal description.

Also, a lot of us who have worked with good hardware recognize the sensation it provokes. And it's a rare piece of software that gives you that sensation. When I use Rayphlex, I get that sensation and I can easily make it achieve the kinds of effects that good hardware can do. Non-nebula stuff doesn't seem to have that aaaahhh effect as often for me. Nebula has had some issues with modeling compression. Cupwise seems to have gotten around these limitations and so now we have a very good Nebula compressor. Nebula users are pretty excited.
bitewounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot ➑️
Well, I didn't say it but I agree with the sentiment. It's just hyperbole that's attempting to let people know this compressor is good enough to distinguish itself in a major way from other ITB compressors we've used. If you're looking for "accuracy" in verbal descriptions of sound processors, you'll never find it. The whole thing is totally subjective and doesn't lend itself to accurate verbal description.

Also, a lot of us who have worked with good hardware recognize the sensation it provokes. And it's a rare piece of software that gives you that sensation. When I use Rayphlex, I get that sensation and I can easily make it achieve the kinds of effects that good hardware can do. Non-nebula stuff doesn't seem to have that aaaahhh effect as often for me. Nebula has had some issues with modeling compression. Cupwise seems to have gotten around these limitations and so now we have a very good Nebula compressor. Nebula users are pretty excited.
Okay! It's quiiiite some hyperbole, considering the many great compressor plugs out there. I'm still kinda curious on what grounds people make statements like that. I tested the demo (Nebula Pro user) and thought.. "Ah. It compresses". It's the first Nebula compressor that works (from my experience). But nothing like "oh my god ITB compressor of the decade". Will do some more listening at the next chance to find out if I can hear any of the uh magic.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Okay! It's quiiiite some hyperbole, considering the many great compressor plugs out there. I'm still kinda curious on what grounds people make statements like that. I tested the demo (Nebula Pro user) and thought.. "Ah. It compresses". It's the first Nebula compressor that works (from my experience). But nothing like "oh my god ITB compressor of the decade". Will do some more listening at the next chance to find out if I can hear any of the uh magic.
well, i completely respect your opinion, but to be fair, if the other users are commenting on the full versions, and you're commenting on the demo or community version, it's not exactly a fair comparison.

i mean, the community version has it's ratio stuck at 10:1, which, is kind of extreme. it also doesn't have the full high freq expander controls or the complete range for attack/release. and it has a limited kern count. i'm not saying that i think it's the best comp ever myself, but just pointing out a fact. the demo/community versions do show off the compression itself, but with very limited scope. and the other vst comps you are comparing it to don't have those limitations either.

it would be nice if there was some way i could offer the full program as a time limited demo or something like that, but i can't and so i have to try to think of limits i can impose that will still show off the main aspects and be useful, but won't give too much away. i think the main thing here was just to show that the compression does work well, but i think one of the big points to the full comps is the range of control you get.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupwise ➑️
well, i completely respect your opinion, but to be fair, if the other users are commenting on the full versions, and you're commenting on the demo or community version, it's not exactly a fair comparison.

i mean, the community version has it's ratio stuck at 10:1, which, is kind of extreme. it also doesn't have the full high freq expander controls or the complete range for attack/release. and it has a limited kern count. i'm not saying that i think it's the best comp ever myself, but just pointing out a fact. the demo/community versions do show off the compression itself, but with very limited scope. and the other vst comps you are comparing it to don't have those limitations either.

it would be nice if there was some way i could offer the full program as a time limited demo or something like that, but i can't and so i have to try to think of limits i can impose that will still show off the main aspects and be useful, but won't give too much away. i think the main thing here was just to show that the compression does work well, but i think one of the big points to the full comps is the range of control you get.
Yes. And the other thing everybody should consider is that you're offering this for a very reasonable price. It's kind of hard to go wrong here. The demo to me was quite good. So I was willing to take a $10 chance on the full version. After you've used Nebula for a while and tested various kernel-limited versions of plug-ins, you get a sense for how the full versions will exceed the demos. Not all Nebula demos impress me the way this one did. Stay with the approach you're using. And bring on the next one I was checking out some of your tube distortion stuff and I think I'll be getting one of those soon. You've got an interesting and unique concept going. I actually used to use a lot of the Aphex mic pre hardware and so forth that had "tubeessence" built into them. So the sound of Rayphlex evoked memories of some of those units.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Cupwise, I know you just released this, but when do you expect the Rayphlex B to be released? I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get that one when it comes out, too.
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I bought this yesterday and I'm really enjoying it. I've been using your tuberadio programs for a long time and this is yet another very useful addition to the world of Nebula. I'm currently considering your YouRei HP/LP Filters. They seem very interesting. From your other posts it seems that you have other filters coming. Is that correct?
Old 30th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciro ➑️
sounds perfect , to be honest, better than any vst comp I own , for this specific source (*attack and release at minimun)

no comp and Rayphlex:
Sounds like hardware to me.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagz ➑️
Cupwise, I know you just released this, but when do you expect the Rayphlex B to be released? I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get that one when it comes out, too.
probably within a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolle ➑️
I bought this yesterday and I'm really enjoying it. I've been using your tuberadio programs for a long time and this is yet another very useful addition to the world of Nebula. I'm currently considering your YouRei HP/LP Filters. They seem very interesting. From your other posts it seems that you have other filters coming. Is that correct?
hi stolle! i used some of your audio clips for those sets way back when, if i remember correctly? yes there are the other filters from the unit, and i actually sampled them about halfway through but it was just too much, i had to take a break. the notches on that thing are incredibly sharp, so it means turning the knob eeeever so slightly, sampling, then turning width a few times for more samples, then turning freq again ever so slightly (while looking at an analyzer), and it's just insane. i already have i think over a thousand samples and i'm maybe only half way. the problem is that each of those 'samples' i have so far is multiplied by the kern count, so there will be a lot to deal with, lots of decisions i'll have to make to make sure that the end product is appealing. just that final presentation could make or break it.
and now i have a few other things on my plate (time sensitive stuff even) so that stuff has been shoved back for who knows how long.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I'ts all a matter of taste, mileage, experience, and how much you believe in fairy tales from strangers. so here's my fairy tale. if you have worked with analog compression than you knew compression in the box was always a sort of "a sort of" compression. it did "sort of" changed the volume envelope, and it did "sort of" added the tone of a compression and it did "sort of" not changed the original source. of course there were always different levels of "sort of"' some better, some worse, but to my ears i haven't found a compression that was easy and grabbing ITB as were my analog compression. there were some algorithmic compressors that i liked a lot (Rcomp,C4, L1, Stillwell Rocket, ThrillseekerLA, UBK1) most of them weren't emulation and had there own quirk and charm. so for me compression was always a matter of budget. if a project was into mixing HYBRID i compressed most of the compression OTB (peak limiters is a magical mixing tool) but when it was a budget thing, I compressed and printed key element's OTB (vox, bass, snare, master buss) all the rest was done ITB but i knew it was always sort of lacking in grabbing.
a few years ago Nebula broke the distinction between ITB/OTB regarding eq (when the Doc Fear was introduced, it was so ahead of any ITB eq, and better than the analog eq's i had at the time, it amazes me to this day, how people kept buying algorithmic eq's afterwards)
and while every aspect of sound processing was getting better and better,compression was always the field where Nebula was only good for the tone of compressors, not the grabbing. i believed that it was an inherent problem with Nebula so i didn't set my hopes high' but CDSOUNDMASTER the Drums Compressor library changed that a bit but the Rayphlex is the first time i opened a plugin ITB and felt the same grab and smack i know and feel from my OTB machines. not in the zone, not sort of, simply - there.

that's, in short, my Fairy Tale. you can either believe in it or don't, i really don't care, cause I, like every other Nebula users out there, live in an audio Fairy Tale, with great music coming out of my studio, and that's all i care about.
bitewounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupwise ➑️

Didn't mean to attack your product, Cupwise. And I understand you have to limit the demo and that one won't get the full scope that way. I'm still a little wary when it comes to just getting the whole thing, because I did that once (Alex B's Fenix compressor), and ended up never ever using it because I thought it wasn't up to the task of being an actual work tool. Fenix wasn't expensive, neither are your programs, and with your comp I'm excited as hell that somebody figured out how compression CAN be done in Nebula.. but I still wanted to hear some more comments (beyond raging hyperbole) from people who bought it is all

Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Well done

This is really excellent - what it does to drums is fantastic!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Didn't mean to attack your product, Cupwise. And I understand you have to limit the demo and that one won't get the full scope that way. I'm still a little wary when it comes to just getting the whole thing, because I did that once (Alex B's Fenix compressor), and ended up never ever using it because I thought it wasn't up to the task of being an actual work tool. Fenix wasn't expensive, neither are your programs, and with your comp I'm excited as hell that somebody figured out how compression CAN be done in Nebula.. but I still wanted to hear some more comments (beyond raging hyperbole) from people who bought it is all

yeah, i understood you weren't attacking it, and i understand where you're coming from about the 'hyperbole', or 'hype'. i really appreciate all of the great compliments, but i understand your skeptical attitude. i consider myself a skeptic, in general, and i think it's a good way to be. i was just pointing out a few facts myself, is all.
Old 30th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
WOW is this compressor good. I am a huge fan of Nebula, but as many other people note compressors have not been it's strong suit. I own the AlexB 4K Comp, as well as an 1176 model, and while they are great for tone, they have very odd behavior with drum transients and are not reliable compressors. This thing works, and works incredibly well. The punch this gets from drums, as well as the overall enhancement you can do with the high frequencies, is absolutely exceptional.
Old 30th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would love to test the demo version on my free Nebula 3, but the programs don't appear anywere.
I downloaded from here:
http://www.cupwise.com/cup/demo-prog...mo-version.zip
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalawag ➑️
I would love to test the demo version on my free Nebula 3, but the programs don't appear anywere.
I downloaded from here:
http://www.cupwise.com/cup/demo-prog...mo-version.zip
i just checked them myself and they showed up. check the 'com' category.
anyone else have this problem?
Old 1st October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hi. If I may. Maybe "COM" directory is not intuitive for this library. It is possible to make, for example a "RAY" dir or its to late for that ?

Thank you for update. I would like to know about any Rayphlex updates from email newsleter.
Thank you for great work.

Last question. What is a chance, to other Nebula compressors to work with attack and release like Rayphlex ?

Wys?ane z mojego X10i
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The demo files works on Nebula 3 FREE, right?
I uninstalled and installed again Nebula. Still no luck....
I'm running Nebula 3 Free 32bit on Windows 7 64bit with Ableton Live 8 32bit.
Old 1st October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The demo files works on Nebula 3 FREE, right?
I uninstalled and installed again Nebula. Still no luck....
I'm running Nebula 3 Free 32bit on Windows 7 64bit with Ableton Live 8 32bit.
yeah they should work. at the very least they will show up, and from your earlier post i'm seeing that your problem is that you aren't even seeing them right? have you looked in the 'com' category? free nebula would still show programs it couldn't load, so it sounds like you just aren't finding it for some reason. if it's not showing up in the 'com' category, maybe you didn't install the program/vector to the correct place? can you verify that the .n2p file is in the 'programs' folder and the .n2v is in the 'vectors' folder, and that you are checking the 'com' category and still not seeing the demos?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hi. If I may. Maybe "COM" directory is not intuitive for this library. It is possible to make, for example a "RAY" dir or its to late for that ?
They are in a "RP" sub directory and as they are compressors, the top "COM" category makes perfect sense. If developers make top categories based on hardware names or their own names (as some do) it makes a large library harder to navigate.

But if you want something else as your category, just drag all the n2p files into NAT, edit the categories exactly as you want them and hit overwrite.
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hard to believe, but yes, everything is in place:
.n2p files on C:\nebulatemprepository\Programs and .n2v files on C:\nebulatemprepository\vectors.
This is not the first free programs for Nebula Free i have installed. They all shows up correctly.
And yes i'm looking into the Com category. I just see the Boeing 747, DIGI Dual-Tube and Do U Wanna Comp. No trace of your programs anywere!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioprojekt ➑️
Last question. What is a chance, to other Nebula compressors to work with attack and release like Rayphlex ?
Very good. The new KultKomp set is similarly good at real compression action, as well as CDSoundmasters THE Drum Compressor has very good real compression attack & release tuned specifically for drum compression.

Being GS... you need them all!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hard to believe, but yes, everything is in place:
.n2p files on C:\nebulatemprepository\Programs and .n2v files on C:\nebulatemprepository\vectors.
This is not the first free programs for Nebula Free i have installed. They all shows up correctly.
And yes i'm looking into the Com category. I just see the Boeing 747, DIGI Dual-Tube and Do U Wanna Comp. No trace of your programs anywere!
haha, whoops! you were right. i could have sworn that i had them set up properly, but they weren't. i didn't have a copy of neb free to check so i had to download/install one, and they didn't show up.

they should be fixed now, so try re-downloading them. sorry it took so long, i've been pretty busy! let me know if there are any other issues.
-tim
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What is the gain staging rules with this lib? Is it -18...what is the sweetspot range of this device ?
πŸ“ Reply