The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DAD - AX32 AD/DA/DD Pre/converter
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
DAD - AX32 AD/DA/DD Pre/converter

Hi to all,

DAD - AX32

that's a new converter from Digital Audio Denmark, similar to Merging's Horus.

8 to 32 chs AD/DA and digitally controlled mic pre-amps, loaded with 8 AES-EBU (16 mono), 1 MADI (64 at 48K), ProTools HDX, Ethernet IP audio using Dante protocol, plus a routing matrix via DADman sw over network.

I don't understand if ProTools can see 16 or 32 I/Os, but very promising quality over AX24 one.

If only was loaded with 32 mono AES-EBU for me...

Bye,
Stefano
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
$?
- c
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➑️
$?
- c
Probably very scary
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not mentioning the price is a sales strategy I've never understood.

Every time I see "Call for price" on anything, I think "What is this, 1973?". But there must be a reason people do it.

- c
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

I think it will be EXPENSIVE
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Every time I see "Call for price" on anything, I think "What is this, 1973?". But there must be a reason people do it.

- c

Manufactures tell their dealers they cannot advertise it below a certain price point, called MAP. The dealer can sell it below that price all they want, they can even lose money on it for all the manufacturer cares (they already got paid).. just not advertise it. If it says call for price it means they are selling it less than "map"

MAP is a good way to keep things competitive that way no dealer can just blow stuff out at cost to rope you into buying other items from them..
Old 1st October 2012 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:

- c
I hate it when I see that, it is a real turn off for me.
Maybe they don't have the price set yet?
Hope to see what it will be. I a somewhat shopping for some new converters so pricing would be nice to see for sure.
Old 19th October 2012
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative ➑️
Hi to all,

DAD - AX32

that's a new converter from Digital Audio Denmark, similar to Merging's Horus.

8 to 32 chs AD/DA and digitally controlled mic pre-amps, loaded with 8 AES-EBU (16 mono), 1 MADI (64 at 48K), ProTools HDX, Ethernet IP audio using Dante protocol, plus a routing matrix via DADman sw over network.

I don't understand if ProTools can see 16 or 32 I/Os, but very promising quality over AX24 one.

If only was loaded with 32 mono AES-EBU for me...

Bye,
Stefano
How would the DAD AX32 compare to the Merging Horus converter? The specs are better on the DAD, I think.....
Old 19th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 ➑️
I hate it when I see that, it is a real turn off for me.
Maybe they don't have the price set yet?
Hope to see what it will be. I a somewhat shopping for some new converters so pricing would be nice to see for sure.
Price for a fully loaded unit is similar to horus, but the chassis with 8 DA (or 8AD) is far cheaper than Horus. The cards themselves on the other hand, are far more expensive than horus.
I far prefer the DAD price structure as is makes it possible to get a foot in the door with an 8 or 16ch rig and expand as you go. The horus is far to expensive as a chassis without any analogue IO. Added bonus is the DAD integrated PT interface
Old 24th October 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Word is that it won't be shipping until the earliest Q2 2013.
Dennis
Old 24th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie ➑️
Probably very scary
I just looked at the website and I am scared. My wallet is shaking too...

....Still, I wish they would say how much it is. There is no point of keeping that information under wraps.
Old 24th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGaines ➑️
Word is that it won't be shipping until the earliest Q2 2013.
Dennis
Considering their trackrecord with vapourware, I would not place an order until they are actually shipping the product.

I had a frustrating couple of years waiting for the Madi-protools unit I paid for in full and never received.
Old 12th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaukholm ➑️
Price for a fully loaded unit is similar to horus, but the chassis with 8 DA (or 8AD) is far cheaper than Horus. The cards themselves on the other hand, are far more expensive than horus.
I far prefer the DAD price structure as is makes it possible to get a foot in the door with an 8 or 16ch rig and expand as you go. The horus is far to expensive as a chassis without any analogue IO. Added bonus is the DAD integrated PT interface
I am very interested in the DAD AX32. Is there anybody who compared this converter to DAD's biggest rival, the Merging Horus??
Old 12th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skriabin ➑️
I am very interested in the DAD AX32. Is there anybody who compared this converter to DAD's biggest rival, the Merging Horus??
I do not believe the dad is actually shiping yet.
We have made a request for a demo along with a few colleagues at the swedish radio.
Old 30th March 2013
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I do not believe the dad is actually shiping yet.
We have made a request for a demo along with a few colleagues at the swedish radio.
Dear Kjetil, please keep me posted about this...
Old 25th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
they are having problems with manufacture on the AD cards and are also redesigning the DA cards with a different chip. It will be a while before it starts making the rounds.
Old 31st May 2013
DAD - Digital Audio Denmark

🎧 5 years
Hi guys

First, let me introduce myself. I work for DAD/NTP as Business Development Manager so I'm up-to-date with the AX32 situation.

It's correct that the AX32 has been delayed due to some issues with the A/D. We are obviously not happy about this as we have many potential customers who want to test it, on the other hand, we don't want to send anything out that doesn't meet our quality standards. So we decided to postpone the AX32 until we are satisfied with its performance.

Our current expectation is that we will be able to ship the AX32 by September.

Anyone interested in testing the AX32 (or just have any questions about it), can drop me a PM or e-mail at jan.lykke(a)ntp.dk and I will see what we can do for you.

Btw., the AX24 is still available and we even reduced the price last year so it's more affordable now.

Regards
Jan
Old 31st May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Does the currently available test system have the same DA circuit as the production model will have?
Old 7th June 2013

🎧 5 years
Just to make it clear, all units we will send out for testing/evaluation will be of the same standard as production units so our customers can rely on getting the right performance.

It is correct we have also redesigned the D/A boards. We originally went for the ESS 9018 converter as it on paper had the best performance. However, during our testing, we noticed that the chip would occassionally enter a mode where it generated some spurious tones and a worse THD+noise reading. Even though the measurements were still quite good, we decided it didn't meet our quality standards. We have therefore redesigned the D/A board with a Burr Brown converter and we are very pleased with its performance.

And finally, just to elaborate on the A/D board. The changes we made were mostly in the lay-out of the board where we had identified some potential for improvements. It's all about fine-tuning and getting the last bit of performance out of the design and we are now confident we have achieved this.

The improved D/A and A/D boards will naturally be used in the units we send out for testing.
Old 3rd September 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntpjl ➑️
First, let me introduce myself. I work for DAD/NTP as Business Development Manager so I'm up-to-date with the AX32 situation....

Anyone interested in testing the AX32 (or just have any questions about it), can drop me a PM or e-mail at jan.lykke(a)ntp.dk and I will see what we can do for you.

Regards
Jan
Hi Jan,
Please let us know if you get a new Canadian Rep./Distributor. The Rep. I dealt with in the past is no longer supporting DAD.

Thanks for the direct email, it was a big help.
Old 3rd September 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

- c

+1. It is one of the reasons I have yet to buy from VK. I am really put off by it.
Old 28th October 2013

🎧 5 years
The AX32 is now shipping :-). The first customers have already completed recordings with the unit and are very enthusiastic about it.

If any of you are seriously interested in buying a unit and want to test it, please let me know by PM or mail jan.lykke(a)ntp.dk and I willl arrange it. Sorry that I have to be a bit strict on this, but we have along list of potential customers who want to test it and we only have a limited number of demo units available at the moment, so right now we prioritise "real" customers.

Jan Lykke
Business Development Manager
NTP / DAD
Old 30th October 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
DAD has a very problematic distribution in Brazil. I tried to make quotation during several month, but the answer was: you must commit to by the item, then we will import it for you and then you will have your price, and we prefer to make deal with a big government establishment and not with single recording engender.
In comparison, the RME guy send the price list next day after I asked him.
Incredible.
Old 13th November 2013

🎧 5 years
Hi IJouk

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. The situation in Brazil is however a little bit more complicated than you describe.

Brazil has an extremely high import tax, I believe it is about 80%! This means that expensive equipment like the DAD AX32 becomes so expensive that it is virtually impossible to sell in Brazil as single units to e.g. recording studios. This is the reason why our distributor is focusing on selling it as part of larger projects to large government institutions as they are less sensitive to this very high import tax.

RME (and many others) have a much lower pricepoint than us, so they are not hit as badly as we are. After all, 80% tax on a $1000 unit is not as bad 80% tax on a $10000 unit (the numbers are only used as examples, they are not actual prices).

Again, I'm sorry about your experience. We would really like to sell the AX32 in Brazil, but we also have to realize that the local conditions are not very favourable to us which is why our distributor has adapted his sales strategy to those conditions.

Jan
Old 19th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Are you aes67 compatible?
Old 21st November 2013 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Are you aes67 compatible?
Not yet, but we will be when the market is there. So far there are no AES67 products out there so there's nothing to be interoperable with.

Jan
Old 1st January 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I'd like to follow that.
Old 15th January 2014

🎧 5 years
DAD AX32 now supports 48 analogue channels, up from 32 channels

Hi Guys,

We are very pleased to announce that the AX32 now supports 48 analogue channels in any combination of inputs and outputs, in blocks of 8 channels.

So you can configure it as a 48-channel A/D converter with mic pre's/line input or a 48-channel D/A converter or a mix, e.g. 24 in / 24 out or 32 in/ 16 out.

For more information, please check:
DAD - Products details AX32 now supports 48 analogue channels

This means you now get 48 analogue channels, two ProTools HD interfaces, a coax MADI, two optical MADI (option), 8 AES3 and a Dante Audio over IP interface (option), all packed in a fabulous looking 2U box :-).

Any questions, let me know.
Old 15th January 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hi ntpjl,

Fantastic! Finally, it is on par with the Merging Horus regarding I/O cards.

Now I use Nuendo and RME (asio), soundcards with Adat to two Apogee AD-16X and one DA-16X. I get nice and robust low latency recording down to 32 samples buffer size. The Euphonix MC Pro via a switch, which sometimes also is used for Internet, occupies the network.

But - - I am not familiar with your product – so some questions:
Can I get a similar or better latency and still use my MC Pro with the AX32 AD with 32 mic inputs and 16 DA via Dante?

Is the AX32 compatible with Eucon?

Will there be a card for outputting 8 channels of Adat, which I use for HearBack headphones cue lines for the musicians?

Eh - - not to be greedy, but, are there any plans to make the two remaining card slots to use I/O cards in the future?

Thanks
PlugSlut
Old 16th January 2014

🎧 5 years
Hi PlugSlut,

We have always been on a par with (and in our opinion slightly better than) the Horus in terms of audio quality on our I/O Cards . But you're right, in terms of number of channels we are now also on a par.

The latency on a Dante Network depends on a number of parameters, such as bit rate, number of network switches, whether you use a Dante PCIe Card or the Dante Virtual Sound Card etc. To give you an idea of what can be achieved, Audinate specify a round-trip latency of 2.99 msec. (incl. audio application) for their Dante PCIe Card. If you drop me an e-mail at jan.lykke (at) ntp.dk, we can go into more details with that.

We have been compatible with Eucon for many years (with our AX24) and that is a policy we continue with, so the answer is YES. We have not yet tested it with the latest Eucon 3.0, but it is on our list of urgent things to do. You're not the only one asking for it so it has a very high priority with us.

And finally, Greed is good . We always appreciate good ideas from our customers so we can make our products even better. We have various stuff in the pipeline for the AX32 (as well as a new product ) but unfortunately nothing we will announce publicly yet. But if you're interested in the AX32, then drop me an e-mail and let's see if we can find a solution for you.
πŸ“ Reply