Quantcast
Sknote Rev250 Reverb Plugin - Available Now - Page 6 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sknote Rev250 Reverb Plugin - Available Now
Old 21st March 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
How is this compared to EMpTy250 V2 from ERS sound-wise?
Home page

Limited function Demo available in the bottom of web page.

REV250 has more modes, effects, cheaper, and the video demo sounds great.

Compared with R2, LX480, and VNXT EMT140. EMpTy 250 V2 stands with unique sound.
Old 25th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

Found this small test between (dry), ERS, SKnote and UAD. This kind of confirms that the REV250 has a big and stuttery early reflection that I was talking about earlier. Comparing to the others, they have nothing like it.

It's funny how these all sound completely different.
Old 25th April 2013 | Show parent
GMR
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I did a comparison of ERS250 demo, Altiverb EMT250 and SKnote which I own! Wish I had a real one to compare to but I assume that Altiverb is closest to the real thing. As I've compared others and it was always the closest to the real in past test.

My conclusion, ERS is way brighter, doesn't sound in the same vein!

Sk is in the same ballpark tonewise as Altiverb, the darkness of the reverb, the color but there was something very different in the attack of it, like there is a delay thing happening in the attack, even when the delay is at 0, which was different with the Altiverb 250.

You can hear it in that cowbell clip, like there is some early refection delay happening. In the end I do like it, I put it here and there and for the most part I like it and the price is a no brainer!!!
Old 25th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm actually quite put off by the early ref / delay, it sounds like the sound is repeated a few times and it introduces this 909 clap kind of trtrtrtr thing. I often turn off pre delays and don't use very pronounced early reflections, so not liking the fact that it's there no matter what the settings are. I figured it's just part of the EMT sound, but since UAD and ERS versions don't have it, I'm not so sure.

I try it every now and then, but so far haven't used it in any of my productions I think.

I actually like very much what I heard in the cowbell demo for UAD, no pre delay and it results in a smooth overall sound rather than stuttery.

I think REV250 might work on guitar and drum stuff, but with sparse gated synth notes it tends to sound quite weird. I often let the reverb tails shine thru, so that they become part of the sound. I very rarely use reverb just to thicken the sound in a transparent way.

Sorry Quinto for the rant. It's just that I would LOVE to have this reverb without this predelay. Maybe in a later version a slightly modifed algo to choose from the buttons in the right.. ?
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I think Quinto may be acting on some feedback and tuning this rev250....
SKnote

🎧 10 years
Yes, of course, fine tuning it and adding the new modes

We can check it together before it is released. It is a great algorithm with lots of attit ide, it deserves perfect tuning and several extensions (the algo is very goodalso in diffent ways when it uses modern available resources).

The pre-delay: I have a strong suspect about an issue only on some installations.
Let me finish this first hardware distribution and back on this.
Oh, releasing DDD, too
Old 25th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Are you saying that the predelay might not be there on purpose? Did you listen to the cowbell demo someone posted on soundcloud (embedded link earlier on this page), does it sound like it's supposed to? (Or did you ever listen to my samples I posted here after release).

If there's any suspicion it's not acting correctly you should say it clearly because if we mix with it as it is now and it's a faulty one, a possible replacement later will change the mix.
Old 25th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Would it be possible Quinto for you to make a simple demo with a short percussive (like the cowbell) kind of sound so that we could hear how it's supposed to sound without predelay. It's difficult to say when listening to the demos you have up on the site. When you have the time, but that shouldn't really take more than a couple of minutes.

I asked about this issue with sound demos right after the release but there is no clear answer except you said it should start from zero when no pre-delay. I'm a bit puzzled. I don't think it starts from zero.
SKnote

🎧 10 years
Ok, I'll check it immediately and post the results. Let's see this delay thing.
Back within some minutes. Too important to let it go on...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Did one more test with a percussive synth sound. Here's an image of the audio waveform. Top is dry, mid is 100 % wet and bottom is 50/50 %. Settings are the shortest possible reverb (0,5 s) and no predelay.
Attached Thumbnails
Sknote Rev250 Reverb Plugin - Available Now-rec250.png  
SKnote

🎧 10 years
Ok, that's early reflections.
Can you compare the same test with e.g. UAD?

I just tested it on the cowbell, I cannot find anything new. I need to understand what exactly we are talking about to be able to manage it.

I guess it is about too strong early reflections. They sound like echoes, alternating left right, so they may seem like pre delay.
If we listen to full wet signal pre delay is not involved, of course.

I'm not sure there is any resonance in the tail. We need tests with longer tail time to check it.
GMR
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd love to hear an actual emt 250 if anybody has one. But the pre delay ER effect is pretty strong for me too and is not on the other versions I have heard, but I do like the tone of this thing.

Keep up the good work Q
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondwave ➑️

Found this small test between (dry), ERS, SKnote and UAD. This kind of confirms that the REV250 has a big and stuttery early reflection that I was talking about earlier. Comparing to the others, they have nothing like it.

It's funny how these all sound completely different.
for me its the decay that has a strange shiver in it (dont know the technical reverb term) that I think sounds odd...clearly audible against the other emulations which have a smooth decay...
SKnote

🎧 10 years
What I like about EMT: the movement, the waves. They make everything bigger and the reverb is special. May be I've gone too far? Too much early reflections? Too strong couple of outs? (1, 2).

Let's analyze it and the new models can make it more "universal".

In the original cowbell example looks like the last sample has a shorter tail.

P.S. DON'T worry, you can mix with it (using it a lot here). This algo won't be replaced.

EDIT: uhm, looks like I was wrong. Something weird in that waveform.....
Old 25th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Did the cowbell sound the same on you Quinto as it did in the soundcloud comparison? Do you hear the difference in the cowbell demos? That's what atleast I'm talking about, the ER/predelay is really noticable compared to the other plugins.

This would be easily solved if you posted a percussive demo with dry and wet + settings, then I / we could test if it sounds the same.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
the waveform? there is an obvious difference with the cowbell example plain to hear?!
GMR
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you're asking I do find the output extremely loud compared to my others verbs, (relab) and others so when I compare the SK volume is really loud. Just saying, I can work around it but the difference in volume is very big !!!
SKnote

🎧 10 years
Ok, maybe we have something.

Let me know your thoughts about these samples (the same cowbell):

starts dry, then reverb

the same but 100% wet (no dry loop)
Old 25th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks. I think that sounds exactly like it does on my machine, very upfront early refs and quite different to ERS and UAD (judging by the demo).

If this is how it's supposed to sound, then there's nothing wrong with my install.
SKnote

🎧 10 years
Do you hear strong resonances??

Maybe it is all just about too loud earlies or you hear anything else strange?
GMR
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sounds the same here, if you really wanna hear that delay fx, listen in mono, it's becomes flagrant !!! i'm comparing with EMT250 altiverb, there is not that delay thing happening. And I think the output should come down , when I put the rev250 at 100% wet it clips this file
SKnote

🎧 10 years
Is Altiverb 250 or 252?

I think it is 252...

A note about comparing to IRs: bit reduction and modulation are lost.
Old 25th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think I've so far only concentrated on the er's, not sure what you mean with the resonance.

I guess the problem for me really is the er's, like on your demo, I'm guessing you mixed it in around 10-12% wet and the verb is almost nothing but early refs which on the other hand are really up front. The early refs make the verb sound a bit stuttery even with longer tails.

There are demos of this which I posted weeks ago, also a mono example where it really does get evident.

I feel so weird discussing this, to me it's so clearly audible, yet I wouldn't want to argue with the creator . If i understood correctly none of us is talking about the actual late tail nor modulation, just the Pre delay thingy which seems to be because of the er's.
SKnote

🎧 10 years
Ok, so the point may be too loud ERs
GMR
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo ➑️
Is Altiverb 250 or 252?

I think it is 252...

A note about comparing to IRs: bit reduction and modulation are lost.
It says emt250,
GMR
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here's a clip using the cowbell, ( I just gotta have more cowbell)

first 8 hits is Altiverb, then SK 7 hits then sk 2 hits and altiverb

rev250 test.wav
SKnote

🎧 10 years
Ok, I'll upload some tests with lower ERs
SKnote

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR ➑️
Here's a clip using the cowbell, ( I just gotta have more cowbell)

first 8 hits is Altiverb, then SK 7 hits then sk 2 hits and altiverb

Attachment 341877
Oh, no! I don't have that huge pre delay!!!

Did you listen to my sample above? There isn't that huge multiple delay...
GMR
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Ok, so the point may be too loud ERs
I think so , that's what is clipping the file, I also added a lot more volume to altiverb so that they are closer , this was done very quick btw, they are not matched in vol
GMR
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Oh, no! I don't have that huge pre delay!!!

Did you listen to my sample above? There isn't tat huge multiple delay...
This is what i'm getting here , and pre delay is at 0
πŸ“ Reply