Quantcast
Sknote Rev250 Reverb Plugin - Available Now - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sknote Rev250 Reverb Plugin - Available Now
Old 13th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just realized these take only 5 % of cpu on a i7 MacBook Pro.
Old 14th March 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
i totally missed the launch !! lol because of the thread move ...just saw it in audiofanzine .....

Still waiting for my new monitors to come ......i will test it asap then ....anymore feedback on the sound ?
Old 14th March 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
whats up with this thread moving every other day?
Old 14th March 2013 | Show parent
Manufacturer contact @ GS

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSon ➑️
whats up with this thread moving every other day?
Because of duplicate threads being posted, merges occur.
After being merged threads can bounce to NPR & then back to NPR 2 months the next day where they belong.

It happens!

Graham
SKnote

🎧 10 years
A new thread was open in the new section (while the old one was in the older than 2 months one). Moderators merged them (thanks!) and then it was moved again in the older than 2 months. I think it is here to stay

Oops... cross posting!
Old 14th March 2013
Manufacturer contact @ GS

🎧 10 years
Yep that's it Quinto!

Regards as always,
Graham
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc ➑️
Because of duplicate threads being posted, merges occur.
After being merged threads can bounce to NPR & then back to NPR 2 months the next day where they belong.

It happens!

Graham
Landing in the "older than 2 months" forum when a plugin has just been released is not ideal.
Funny that it's always the same developers. Seems they don't mind.
SKnote

🎧 10 years
- collects feedback during final stages of development
- helps to reduce waves of orders during the first release
GMR
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd love to hear a comparison of this to the real thing since it's a total emulation !!!!
Old 14th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm a bit boggled how is this older than 2 months, if it was released just 2 days ago?

As someone working in ads and marketing, I'd take product launch seriously. You can only do it once and it's best done with a proper bang.
SKnote

🎧 10 years
It is a balance between collaboration and marketing.

There is such an amount of ideas and help coming from making it public... it is the best way of working for me.

More: I hope to make products which evolve and become better and consolidate, so I'm not sure the "bang" factor (with all the difficulties it involves, we are just 8/4 guys here) is so important here... slowly and far...

And I have more fun, it helps a lot because I need some huge efforts to close these devices, it is really really hard. Making them public makes it a bit easier for me.

More: this two-months forum isn't the only advertisement! The announcements coming through news services have the bang factor.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Since there is no demo for this, user feedback is even more important. So all you people who are already using this please weigh in How does this compare to other reverbs out there? Has anybody A/Bed this against the UAD version (which I have but am not particularly enthused about)? Has anybody compared this to the Nebula version by VNTX? How does this stack up against some of the newer verbs out there like B2, Exponential Audio or the Valhalla stuff?

Yes, I've listened to all the demos and postings. I'm just looking for overall general impressions on how useful this plug could be. And I own a bunch of Quinto's other plugs, so I know the procedure
Old 15th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot ➑️
Since there is no demo for this, user feedback is even more important. So all you people who are already using this please weigh in How does this compare to other reverbs out there? Has anybody A/Bed this against the UAD version (which I have but am not particularly enthused about)? Has anybody compared this to the Nebula version by VNTX? How does this stack up against some of the newer verbs out there like B2, Exponential Audio or the Valhalla stuff?

Yes, I've listened to all the demos and postings. I'm just looking for overall general impressions on how useful this plug could be. And I own a bunch of Quinto's other plugs, so I know the procedure
VNXT made an EMT140 but I don't think they did an EMT250 Nebula program - am I wrong here!?

About Rev250 and other reverb offerings. To my ears Rev250 does not sound like a typical algorithmic reverb - even if it doesn't necessarily sound totally lifelike [as an acoustic space] - it has it's own sound. But it behaves very natural in the way that it just add room to and behind the sound source, doesn't sound pasted on, doesn't destroy the source - In that sense it is a little in the same family as EMT140. Try it, that means buy it, and get the money back if you don't like it...

::
Mads
SKnote

🎧 10 years
I think that it sounds completely different from any IR sampling anyway, because there are tons of modulation, which the just IRs cannot replicate (and are replaced by amplitude modulation somehow...) because of math
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot ➑️
Has anybody A/Bed this against the UAD version (which I have but am not particularly enthused about)?
What is wrong with the UAD version? In my opinion it is still one of the best ITB reverbs ever made if not the best.
Old 15th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Kind of mixed feelings here after a few days of testing.

I've tested it by itself and against a few of my other reverbs. I haven't used the UAD version nor the original thing.

I was beginning to loose my faith in this until I started putting more focus into the mono/wide knob. The plugin defaults with full wide, so I assumed that's the "factory setting". With vocals I was testing the reverb does not sound good full wide, the tail gets grainy, broken and jittery. Now that I have set mono/wide around 30 % this sounds quite decent.

But then again you can make a drum kit really wide when using more stereo width and short decay.

Would be interesting to know what is the real factory setting for width since the images I looked of the original it doesn't seem possible to change with it.

This seems to be "set" at some kind of large/med room or hall setting, because there is always a biggish early reflection going on. It's quite evident with short and percussive elements, not so much with instruments. This is maybe my biggest gripe so far, because I use a lot of arpeggiated elements where too evident early reflections mess up the sequence.

It does blend in with instruments quite well when used in moderation, but the tail is not as smooth as I get with for example NI's RC24 demo. The tail is quite dense and grainy in Rev250 and to my taste you can't mix Rev250 very up.

Testing NI's RC24 at the same time and them emulating reverbs both from late 70's, the RC24 seems quite more versatile and capable of more lush sound.

In all honesty, currently I feel I should've put the money aside and rather save for the RC 24, but time will tell if I click with this later. The price was really cheap tho, so can't really complain much
SKnote

🎧 10 years
Be careful with it for at least two reasons:

- it was a very special reverb, with a well defined algorithm (they had to have real genius to build it with those resources). Fixed early reflections, no matter the settings
- it works with 12/15 bits. You can easily make it grainy if you let it work with a low internal level. This is why you have the gain knob and the meter, to setup the internal operating you prefer, from grainy (low) to smoother (high)

You CANNOT compare it to other reverbs, it is very special and has a strong attitude, looking for some kind of different smoothness from different reverbs is the wrong way of looking at it!

The original setting is 100% wide.
Old 15th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I probably don't yet know how to 100 % appreciate it. At the moment, all I have is my ears and a few youtube demos of the UAD EMT250, so I can pretty much only do objective commenting at this point.

I'm kind of hoping someone would come in and say this is a perfect spot on emulation of EMT250, that would make all objective comments obsolete. Right now I'm the only one commenting and I feel a bit bad for anything that I'm saying that's negative . I also tried to answer some questions that were asked above.

I think it's ok to compare to other reverbs, thats what people do. I compared it to the closest equivalent I could think of and what I had handy, the RC 24. Probably whole different beasts, but they're both emulations of first digital reverbs available?

Having said that, I agree there's not much point comparing this to some modern highend reverb.

On a more constructive tone, I think you should've left the non-working buttons out of this version. I spent quite some time trying to listen for differences between V1, V2, M1, M2 and was thinking that it's the gui that's not working (you can see Vintage1, Vintage2 .. etc changing on the value box below, but the buttons don't light up). Because of this initial experience, I'm still not quite sure if everything I'm tweaking actually makes any difference to sound. The input gain for example, I can't say with certainty I hear any difference when I'm tweaking it (even if the meter starts jumping). It may be my muffled ears that don't spot the difference between 12 and 15 bits. The filtering section is also not as evident as it is with other reverbs and it makes me a bit uncertain I'm using this correctly.
Old 15th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Now testing with some acoustic guitar stuff, full wide works like charm, beautiful stuff on this kind of source material.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondwave ➑️
I probably don't yet know how to 100 % appreciate it. At the moment, all I have is my ears and a few youtube demos of the UAD EMT250, so I can pretty much only do objective commenting at this point.

I'm kind of hoping someone would come in and say this is a perfect spot on emulation of EMT250...
You could check the Empty Room Systems EMpTy 250 Reverb, if you are up for a apples and apples comparison. They have a 30day demo. Could very well be that you are just not into the 250 sound. In general I would use it more for Drums or Vocals than Synth.
Old 15th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
well, or acoustic guitar
SKnote

🎧 10 years
@raymondwave: hey, I'm not defending it, just trying to be sure it is understood!

NI24 is a different generation, not so primitive.

Again, I wonder how they managed to design the 250 with that technology!
GMR
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondwave ➑️
Kind of mixed feelings here after a few days of testing.
With vocals I was testing the reverb does not sound good full wide, the tail gets grainy, broken and jittery. Now that I have set mono/wide around 30 % this sounds quite decent.
Maybe that is the sound ? don't know either, never tried a real EMT250. Can anyone (Quinto) put up clips of the real thing vs the plugin. I'm about to pull the plug on this if it sounds close to the real thing. i know it's not expensive but...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If it helps I could run a file thru the TC DVR2 emu which is supposed to be quite honest
A.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
DVR2 - Digital Vintage Reverb for PowerCore 6000 - YouTube
May be of interest ... notable he uses on Vox & Gits

Last edited by don1thedon; 15th March 2013 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: addition
Old 16th March 2013 | Show parent
SKnote

🎧 10 years
Yes, vox and guitars sound great with this one (and acoustic instruments).
But I'm getting great results with drums, too...
Working on a mix video...
Old 16th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Cool, look forward to that.
I was trying it out last night and it "sat" real well on a couple of tracks, but less so on another, difficult to explain why it just didn't feel right. I've not quite got the hang of these paddles yet and nothing I did with those seemed to help it fit. Quite unique in that respect, maybe its idiosyncrasy? I think it's gonna be a great addition for me.
Best
Old 17th March 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I'm definitely interested in checking this verb out Quinto. I love the simplicity. There is one thing I'm not seeing that I hope you will add soon: The 5th button i.e. the Space mode. As a huge fan of ambient music, all things Eno & Vangelis etc., I think that mode would be nice to have and am curious why you didn't include it. I really hope you will either add it or add another "modernization" feature that will allow for seriously long decay times. Of course, there are other reverbs that have & are known for that sound like 224's etc., but since Space was a mode on the original 250 as far as I know (it's on the UAD plugin version), it would make it more complete in my opinion. I know that I at least would use it....

That plus the overall simplicity of this verb without all the different reverb types and other adjustable parameters would probably make it the first verb I would try on a project. The simpler the better for me, otherwise I will sit there & fiddle with the assorted presets, parameters and all of the other options and an hour later find myself still adjusting the reverb instead of finishing up the mix! I really am one of those people who benefits from processors with very minimalist & uncomplicated interfaces.
Old 21st March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Tele direct through EHX Superego looped to a PitchFactor bathed in REV250.
Attached Files

FX250.mp3 (2.54 MB, 1231 views)

Old 21st March 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
How is this compared to EMpTy250 V2 from ERS sound-wise?
Home page

Limited function Demo available in the bottom of web page.

REV250 has more modes, effects, cheaper, and the video demo sounds great.

Compared with R2, LX480, and VNXT EMT140. EMpTy 250 V2 stands with unique sound.
πŸ“ Reply