Quantcast
Vienna Dimension Strings... - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vienna Dimension Strings...
Old 6th October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
MIR is no plugin. it is an extension to Vienna Ensemble, no VST plugin ... and if you have VEP you have an upgrade option me thinks

best
Old 6th October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
MIR is no plugin. it is an extension to Vienna Ensemble, no VST plugin -so it does not fit into Vienna Suite ... and if you have VEP you have an upgrade option me thinks

best
Old 19th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by steff3 ➑️
MIR is no plugin...
best
It is now

-SD
Old 19th October 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Yep, new MIR PRO vst version released, trying it out now.
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
^
Let us know what you think ;-)

-SD
Old 19th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicdefault ➑️
^
Let us know what you think ;-)

-SD
I tried it more on several projects using the 24 vst version in Sonar X2.
EQ+Waves L1 & NLS channel on each track.

Worked like a charm, not a single crash. Sounds like you'd expect, great to my ears anyway. Plenty of features.
CPU isn't not bad either. Those 24 instances+ 12 other tracks, plus Nebula Alex B console groups (6), comps, Aether etc., a little sluggish, crackles but was able to real-time it.
Old 20th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsym ➑️
I tried it more on several projects using the 24 vst version in Sonar X2.
EQ+Waves L1 & NLS channel on each track.

Worked like a charm, not a single crash. Sounds like you'd expect, great to my ears anyway. Plenty of features.
CPU isn't not bad either. Those 24 instances+ 12 other tracks, plus Nebula Alex B console groups (6), comps, Aether etc., a little sluggish, crackles but was able to real-time it.
Thanks for the feedback!

-SD
Old 20th October 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
This is great. I had given up using Mir Pro because it was so funky in the workflow of a mix, and there were some pretty bad bugs when using aux sends and sidechaining. We have to give the vst a spin. That Teldex room sounds awesome.
Old 21st October 2012
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The Early Bird sale is still running. We bought another copy this past week. Vienna will offer an additional discount to users who buy more than one.
Old 22nd October 2012 | Show parent
Dz7
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Can any of you guys program something really short, say 10-20 seconds, through EWSO or HS and then program the same thing through VDS (dry - no plugins/outboard please)? I'd really appreciate it! Thinking of picking this up
Old 10th November 2012
Gear Nut

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Hybrid samples + modelling is the final solution. Not looked at until now only because of CPU overheads, that will soon change. Then VSL can rework it's own library as it exists simply by updating with new software to manipulate it with.

That Trumpet thing from sample-modelling is pretty impressive. Someone said the base tone was mediocre... I don't know - in the mix it's pretty convincing to the average listener, and they're right it's the nuances that trick the brain not the tone itself. I would say THAT is more effective than the reverse.
Old 10th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike11 ➑️
That Trumpet thing from sample-modelling is pretty impressive. Someone said the base tone was mediocre... I don't know - in the mix it's pretty convincing to the average listener, and they're right it's the nuances that trick the brain not the tone itself. I would say THAT is more effective than the reverse.
I was one among many to say that it's mediocre. It does have its merits but it hasn't taken modeling across the finish line. Maybe a hybrid product is the answer though I'm still awaiting the evidence.

Regardless, in the present, this library has been tackling orchestral tracks swimmingly. If only Vienna would release the other instruments. It's tough to be patient.
Old 12th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Is the dimension brass part of this release, or was that a previous library?
Old 13th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by littledoodler ➑️
Is the dimension brass part of this release, or was that a previous library?
Dimension Brass is a separate previous library.
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Does anyone know how long the special introductory offer will last with these? Thanks.
Old 2nd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by littledoodler ➑️
Does anyone know how long the special introductory offer will last with these? Thanks.
I don't think it's specified further than "future full prices, effective once all four string sections are available".
Old 2nd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelein ➑️
I don't think it's specified further than "future full prices, effective once all four string sections are available".
Cool, thanks. Yeah, this is a steal even at the $850 price it is at now.
Old 23rd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone heard anything about when the rest of the set is coming out?
Old 28th March 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Do you guys think we still need the Orchestral Strings and the Solo Violin despite having Dimension Strings? I have the Special Edition Complete Bundle but I'm looking at the current specials. 30% off Standard String Libraries
Old 28th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Dimension is a more complex library but I'm not sure if it's as comprehensive. You should check if the sample content is specified to be the same; my guess is there are many runs and the like that aren't in Dimension.
Old 30th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by umarekawaru ➑️
Do you guys think we still need the Orchestral Strings and the Solo Violin despite having Dimension Strings? I have the Special Edition Complete Bundle but I'm looking at the current specials. 30% off Standard String Libraries
That's a though question. There's also Appasionata strings to make it more complicated. I'd get those before Orchestral strings because they were recorded with more emotions and that is very important imo. An other choice would be chamber strings which are small sections of strings. Layered with D. Strings you could, in theory, simulate a larger ensemble. For example D. strings has 8 violins and chamber strings has 6 violins so if you add the 2 you get 14 violins which is what Orchestral strings ensemble has.

As for the solo strings i don't know how different 1 violin of D. strings is to the solo string library library.

I think you should spend some time listening to the demos @ VSL and see what you like best. App. strings are very impressive IMO.

Good luck.

edited: From what i can see, app. strings would add more to your pallet than Orchestral strings because you have a bigger chunk of Orchestral strings in the special edition bundle than app. strings if i remember correctly.

Last edited by MustacheVerra; 30th March 2013 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: add stuff
Old 30th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Like I said you should check the sample content. I took a look at it and it seems there is just more of everything. Most notably for some of the more esoteric stuff, for example glissandi and scale runs which aren't included at all in Dimension. Judge for yourself whether that is relevant.

To get an idea one could also look at the sample count. 300K for Dimension and 50K for Orchestral. Divide the former by 9 (since they're individually miked as well as collectively) and you get 33K. So that would mean that there is 50% more variations in the Orchestral library. But of course it is more useful to look at the specifics and how they match your needs.
Old 18th April 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I think there's no way to emulate better strings than the Dimension Strings - you have so many articulations, each one with all the notes on all the strings so you have a very big choice of the strings.. all the legatos go from each note of each string to each note of each string and the next one.

I can't imagine that anything could be better - except real musicians that play very well : )

Check it out in combination with the Vienna MIR IR Reverb - that's specially made for that ! (the instruments are recorded relatively dry)

And yes, the price is very fair :D
Old 31st March 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Dimension strings is the best string library I've tried. I use it in all my orchestral scores. Most string libraries sound too perfect, but with Dim strings you can make divisi, automate the amount of "humanization" (both pitch and timing) for each dimension strings player, place each player in MIR, and even add breathing (yes, they sampled each players breathing and finger noises). It doesn't get more realistic. Only thing I miss is more articulations like tasto, ponticello, tremolo glissando and other more fx based articulations.
Here are to songs I made with dimension strings:
https://soundcloud.com/felix-martinz/the-reapers - long chords, fast scale runs. (Solo violin by Embertone)
https://soundcloud.com/felix-martinz/odyssey - Lots of divisi in 1:12
πŸ“ Reply