Quantcast
pocketBlakus - Solo Expressive Cello Freebie (Kontakt 4.2.3+) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
pocketBlakus - Solo Expressive Cello Freebie (Kontakt 4.2.3+)
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
pocketBlakus - Expressive Cello Freebie (Kontakt 4.2.3+) - NEW:HALion4 edition!

Hey there,
Just thought I'd stop by quickly to share my first sampling attempt with you all. I dusted off my cello and recorded some expressive sustains and after a bit of help from the VI community with programming, it's starting to become a somewhat useful little tool with scripted legato. This instrument is designed with slow emotional cello lines in mind! (Soak it in your favourite verb!!)

Here's an audio example - http://www.blakus.com/music/pocketBlakusLegImprov.mp3

And a quick one pass of the Game of Thrones Theme
http://www.blakus.com/music/pocketBlakusLegGoT.mp3

Visit this topic on VI Control for more information, demos, and download links!
v.i. control forum • View topic - pocketBlakus - Solo Cello Freebie - SIPS LEGATO+NEW LAYERS v1.1(Kontakt 4.2.3+) [ Guest ]

*Expressive sustains with progressive vibrato
*NEW Expressive sustains triggered by playing velocities >90 - these are slightly louder in dynamic and feature attacks and vibrato that are slightly more immediate for a little bit more flexibility (lol) - Note that these are still really designed for slow expressive passages however. Refer to my v1.1 demo below to hear the kind of phrases I think it excels at - others have found far more adventurous uses though!
*Simulated legato patch - using SIPS scripts. Easily customizeable - much easier to play single melodies with more flexibility.
*Basic release samples (MA-Simon)
*Basic mod volume control (MA-Simon)

Thanks guys, hope it's of some use!

Blakus
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This is great, thanks for the generous share!

I get an error upon attempting to download: Box.com says you are "out of bandwidth."

Anyone else experiencing this?

- c
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Ah, I think you are downloading the old version. I'll remove that link. Check the download links further up the post
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Downloading fine from this link.....not a box.net link so maybe just added?
Quote:
New mirror generously provided by Josquin <3
Thanks for sharing Blakus....and well done on your first sampling attempt.

EDIT: Beaten to it.....that was the link working for me.
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thank you very much! The demo sounds very very interesting considering the size of the library.
I'm downloading it right now, and I'll let you know what I think
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
OK, cool. Downloading now.

- c
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Downloaded these thinking it might help a mix I have on the go of a track written and recorded by my 15 year old nephew and his girlfriend.
I was given the tracking from another studio with some nasty garage band transferred strings that managed to be both harsh and muddy at the same time.
I took out the muddy lows and replaced some low end with a rather static string patch which I wasn't happy with and substituting your patch has improved things no end.
(May still need to work on the harshness!)

It's a very simple part and just sits in amongst the strings but it shows I found them useful if nothing else

Thanks again for making them available.
Beautiful Lies.mp3

EDIT....Hmmnn....How do I get my mp3s to show with a play button as I've seen others on the forum??
Old 19th September 2012
bitewounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakus ➑️
Hey there,
Just thought I'd stop by quickly to share my first sampling attempt with you all. I dusted off my cello and recorded some expressive sustains and after a bit of help from the VI community with programming, it's starting to become a somewhat useful little tool with scripted legato. This instrument is designed with slow emotional cello lines in mind! (Soak it in your favourite verb!!)

Here's an audio example - http://www.blakus.com/music/pocketBlakusLegImprov.mp3

And a quick one pass of the Game of Thrones Theme
http://www.blakus.com/music/pocketBlakusLegGoT.mp3

Visit this topic on VI Control for more information, demos, and download links!
v.i. control forum &bull; View topic - pocketBlakus - Solo Cello Freebie - SIPS LEGATO+NEW LAYERS v1.1(Kontakt 4.2.3+) [ Guest ]

*Expressive sustains with progressive vibrato
*NEW Expressive sustains triggered by playing velocities >90 - these are slightly louder in dynamic and feature attacks and vibrato that are slightly more immediate for a little bit more flexibility (lol) - Note that these are still really designed for slow expressive passages however. Refer to my v1.1 demo below to hear the kind of phrases I think it excels at - others have found far more adventurous uses though!
*Simulated legato patch - using SIPS scripts. Easily customizeable - much easier to play single melodies with more flexibility.
*Basic release samples (MA-Simon)
*Basic mod volume control (MA-Simon)

Thanks guys, hope it's of some use!

Blakus
Lovely, thank you!
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The sound is great. thank you

not getting any action from the 'pocketBlakus_exp_legatoRR_SIPS_LUKAS' folder. There are no samples in it and tried to launch from the other folder w/ the samples: 'pocketBlakus 1.1 new sus' folder with luck.
What I am doing wrong

Old 20th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thank you! You are being the change you seek, you are the one you've been waiting for, etc. Really nice work.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
LOVE IT ! thanks !!!
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thanks a lot for this share, Blakus.

Much appreciated

G
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Very cool sounding cello, Blakus. I've written a johnny cash (hurt)/nick cave ballad-y type song that I'm gonna' try this on.

Will post up and credit if it works out.

Cheers,
Tony
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the kind words guys! I'll be honest, it is turning out to be a lot better than I thought it would LOL!

I recorded another layer, my arm is killing me - haven't played molto vibrato that intensely for a sustained period like that lol! (Still testing at the moment) I recorded this layer even MORE quickly than the last so it's a little messy, but this one features VERY strong marcato attacks with IMMEDIATE fast vibrato at FF. This example is literally a once through improvisation, it's very playable. See if you can spot the new layer It's not that musical sorry, I purposely put boring repeated sections in so you could hear the smooth transitions and variance possible with the 3 layers now. Here's a little taste

At the moment I am testing mapping velocities like this.
0-70 - Soft expressive progressive emotional vibrato (original layer)
71-110 - mf/f expression with more immediate vibrato (2nd layer)
110-127 - ff layer with marcato attack (which is only heard on clean note beginnings, not during legato obviously) and molto vibrato! This is working out quite well for me without any hassle really!

New samples should be available soon!
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for the kind words guys! I'll be honest, it is turning out to be a lot better than I thought it would LOL!

I recorded another layer, my arm is killing me - haven't played molto vibrato that intensely for a sustained period like that lol! (Still testing at the moment) I recorded this layer even MORE quickly than the last so it's a little messy, but this one features VERY strong marcato attacks with IMMEDIATE fast vibrato at FF. This example is literally a once through improvisation, it's very playable. See if you can spot the new layer It's not that musical sorry, I purposely put boring repeated sections in so you could hear the smooth transitions and variance possible with the 3 layers now. Here's a little taste

110-127 - ff layer with marcato attack (which is only heard on clean note beginnings, not during legato obviously) and molto vibrato! This is working out quite well for me without any hassle really!

Wow this sounds really great! Thanks for all your hard work and generosity in making these available!!
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
your generous sounds have ended up in a revision I'm finishing up today.
Again, excellent
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thanks guys!

Here's another quick demo, some romantic Bach love - It's all using the current downloadable patch except at the end you'll hear a bit of a crazy improv with a molto vib FF layer that is not yet released.

BlakusBach - With a little improv at the end. pocketBlakus cello by blakus-mfm on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for this great freebie
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks so much for this!
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
No problem guys!
Just another quick demo -

Would you like some Gladiator with that reverb? lol - This uses both the legato and the sustain patch.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I'd also like to add my thanks. Wonderful stuff: very usable and expressive.

Keep up the fine work.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the suggestion lingyai

Here's another quick demo I put together showing it in an orchestral context.
Trumpets are free from here by the way: v.i. control forum &bull; View topic - "FORTISSIMO TRUMPET ENSEMBLE" - Marcatos, Staccatos, Matrix Swells....... NEW AND REVISED DEMOS.... [ Guest ]

http://www.blakus.com/music/JBFTE_pocketBlakus1.mp3
Old 1st October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

That sounds great.

Thanks for this library! - eagerly awaiting the new samples and patches...
Old 5th October 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thanks noiseflaw

I do plan to release a more full featured instrument with RR etc sometime in the future.
Here's another short demo I made last night showing the instrument in an orchestral context.

Sunset - pocketBlakus Orchestral Context by blakus-mfm on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 5th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks noiseflaw

I do plan to release a more full featured instrument with RR etc sometime in the future.
Here's another short demo I made last night showing the instrument in an orchestral context.

Sunset - pocketBlakus Orchestral Context by blakus-mfm on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Wonderful stuff. I'm really looking forward to the next release (paid or otherwise). The (recorded) tone of that cello is just great!

Thanks again.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks noiseflaw

Hi Blakus,

I see you have just released version 1.5. What are the additions?...
Old 5th October 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Nice, this cello has a better sound than a lot of commercially available ones.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus ➑️
Nice, this cello has a better sound than a lot of commercially available ones.
Details here:
pocketBlakus
Old 5th October 2012
DSK
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
This library is just... so ... so..

EMOTIONAL!

Even if I don't see myself using it in a song in the near future I will be playing it for inspiration.

Great work!
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinball ➑️
Details here:
pocketBlakus
Sorry, that was in response to "I see you have just released version 1.5. What are the additions?... "!
πŸ“ Reply