Quantcast
pocketBlakus - Solo Expressive Cello Freebie (Kontakt 4.2.3+) - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
pocketBlakus - Solo Expressive Cello Freebie (Kontakt 4.2.3+)
Old 5th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinball ➑️
Details here:
pocketBlakus
Super.

cheers.
Old 6th October 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thanks again guys
Someone was kind enough to make a HALion4 version of this instrument, I haven't been able to try this but hopefully this will allow more people to have a fiddle.

See this post for download links:
v.i. control forum • View topic - pocketBlakus - Emotional Cello Freebie - 1.5 minor update (Kontakt 4.2.4+) [ Guest ]
Old 6th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I downloaded two days ago but didn't get round to saying thank you.... THANK YOU!

Sounds very very good... and for nada. Amazingly generous of you
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Sounds really good. It has a really rich sound. Just been using it with Valhalla verb and it is lovely. I will be using this in my down tempo tracks.
Thanks for making it available.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
sounds really nice - thanks very much!!
Old 17th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
thanks a lot for giving this away for free - sounds gorgeous, and will get a lot of use here!

would love to see something similar for a viola.
Old 18th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Just checking in here- I have downloaded this and thank you for it, but the volume seems extremely low compared to all my other Kontakt samples- am I doing something wrong? I have CinemaStrings and EWQL Orchestra and this is much, much softer. What could be causing this?
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Hey there!

Just crank up the kontakt volume of the instrument, it doesn't cause any problems. I just set the volume to fit into my orchestral template, but it probably doesn't suit everybody's setup! If you push the 'spanner' button you can go in and boost the volume more there too.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks- I'll give it a try!
Old 18th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankymax ➑️
Just checking in here- I have downloaded this and thank you for it, but the volume seems extremely low compared to all my other Kontakt samples- am I doing something wrong? I have CinemaStrings and EWQL Orchestra and this is much, much softer. What could be causing this?
Yeah I noticed that too - changed from a commercial Kontakt library back to Blakus and nearly blew my ears out!

To compensate i just boost the volume on the player (be careful not to do it on your desk!).

Great library - I must look such a fool when I play it on my keyboard I get so into it...

Really looking forward to those extra dynamic layers...
Old 18th October 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Just one other thing. Are you pushing the mod wheel (CC1) right up?
Old 18th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakus ➑️
Just one other thing. Are you pushing the mod wheel (CC1) right up?
No. Should I be?...
Old 18th October 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Yes, mod wheel controls volume of the instrument. This way you can sculpt more dynamics into the instrument as required too. Mod wheel needs to be raised all the way up to be at full dynamics.
Old 18th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ok thanks, must have missed those instructions somewhere.
Old 19th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Yes- me too....heh
Old 21st October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thank you very much!!
It's hard to believe that this was recorded in a bedroom. Terrific job!
Old 25th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thanks Morph :D

I am planning to release a full featured instrument in the near future - If you have any suggestions or requests I'd be happy to hear them :D

Here's another quick pass of "The Swan" using some new test samples.

And a VERY rough keyboard jam on a quick shorts patch - sorry about the terrible playing!
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3363455/PBC...tALPHATEST.mp3
Old 25th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

I am planning to release a full featured instrument in the near future - If you have any suggestions or requests I'd be happy to hear them :D
Don't lose the mojo of this library trying to do too much, too soon!

Don't stress out recording a gazillion articulations. You of all people know the strengths of this beauty - keep the library's precious 'personality' protected.

Of course some nice staccato, spiccato, marcato goodies would be welcome.

My wallet is ready...
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the advice I'm keeping it pretty simple. Mainly adding dynamic layers + RR for more flexibility - and some other basic useful articulations.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw ➑️
Don't lose the mojo of this library trying to do too much, too soon!

Don't stress out recording a gazillion articulations. You of all people know the strengths of this beauty - keep the library's precious 'personality' protected.

Of course some nice staccato, spiccato, marcato goodies would be welcome.

My wallet is ready...
+1. I totally dig the character it has, and simplicity is key. I second staccato and spiccato articulations.

And a viola to go with the cello would be my Christmas wish
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:

is this processed in any way besides the reverb? I like the weight of it...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I'd put my efforts into adding RR samples, a couple more dynamic layers and short notes and call it a day. This has a personality of its own, just let it be this way.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:

And a VERY rough keyboard jam on a quick shorts patch - sorry about the terrible playing!
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3363455/PBC...tALPHATEST.mp3
Great to hear you're still working on this little beauty!
Old 27th October 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the kind words!
Here's another quick fiddle with some MORE test samples I recorded tonight.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3363455/BlakusCelloTest28.mp3
Old 28th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Here's a bit of a sneak peak at some of the samples in the upcoming full version
KungFu Panda
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3363455/BlakusPanda.mp3

A quick improv over the top of an old track of mine
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3363455/Bla...st29improv.mp3
Old 28th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by prophet ➑️

And a viola to go with the cello would be my Christmas wish
+1.

G
Old 1st November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
NEW Version 1.6 now available from:
http://www.vi-control.net/forum/view...649832#3649832
Massive thanks to Lukas K for his hard work on this update!

Here is the list of the new features:

1) A completely new GUI (graphical user interface), where you can adjust these settings:

Attack - Adjust the initial time it will take the envelope to reach its maximum level after it has been triggered.

Release - Adjust the time it will take the envelope to fall from its sustain level back to zero after the key has been released.

Noises Vol - Adjust the volume of Finger Noises.
- Finger Noises occur naturally during real performances while a player changes the pitch. These were specially recorded by Blakus.

Noises Amt - Adjust the amount of Finger Noises.
- Finger Noises are programmed so they are triggered randomly at the beginning of the inside notes of a legato phrase. If you play legato repetitions (same note repeated while holding down the sustain pedal - CC64), the finger noises aren't triggered, because real players obviously wouldn't move their fingers from the pitch. You can set the Noises Amt knob from 0,0% - 100,0%, which controls the probability of hearing the noises from NEVER to ALWAYS.

Round Robin - Turn on/off Round Robin script (Keyswitched on E6).
- It uses artificial round robin samples, which are triggered only when you play the same note or two-note ostinato repeatedly. They can be exchanged for the real Round Robin samples, if Blakus decides to record them someday

Round Robin Mode - Switch between Cycle and Random Round Robin.
- With Cycle Round Robin, you always hear the samples in the same order 1/2/3 / 1/2/3..., while with the Random Round Robin, the order is shuffled.

Legato / Polyphonic - Switch between Legato and Polyphonic mode (Keyswitched on C6).

Legato Preset - Switch between L-Legato and B-Legato preset (Keyswitched on D6).
- L-Legato is made by me, while B-Legato is made by Blakus. You can use whichever you prefer, or you can even switch between the two in the middle of the phrase, if you want to.

Velocity Curve - Adjust the Velocity Curve, switch between Linear and Shelf Velocity Curve, set the lowest and the highest velocity or draw your own Velocity Curve with your mouse.

Credits - Click on the pocketBlakus sign on the bottom right corner to see the list of all the contributors (I was aware of) who helped to improve this virtual instrument.

- All the Knobs and Sliders are set, so when you ctrl+click on them you get the default value, so you can experiment with them without being afraid of messing things up.
- Hover your mouse over these controls to see the help in Kontakt's info pane.

2) Legato improvement

- Smoother legato transitions in my L-Legato preset.
- Added simulated portamento transitions for both L-Legato and B-Legato presets (triggered when you play a note below velocity of 10). I recommend to use these mostly for smaller intervals. The SIPS Portamento was designed to only work with two notes held at the same time. Read this quotation from the SIPS User's Guide for better understanding of how the Portamento works.

"Now, play any note and while still holding down the key, play another note (just as you would if you were going to play a legato interval). When you do this, the first note will β€˜glide’ to the second note. If you then release the second note, it will glide back to the first note (still being held). Now try this. Hit and hold the first note followed by an overlapping second note. After the glide, this time release the first note while still holding down the second note. Notice that the 2nd note continues to sustain. Now, while still holding down the 2nd note, hit another key and the 2nd note will glide into the new 3rd note just played. Play around with this for a while until you get the hang of it. Using this technique you can continue to glide between any number of successive intervals. As long as you leave one key down, you can continue to glide to the next note played. Once all keys are released, the next note played will then start a new phrase."

For more information about using Portamento Mode, read the SIPS-User's Guide (pages 56-59). Solo Instrument Performance Suite

- Portamento transitions are programmed so they are slightly longer (more like a glissando) when you play a note at a velocity of 1, and get shorter at higher velocities (2,3,4...10).
- If you play a Legato note with a higher velocity than 70 (to get the second velocity layer) and play the next note with velocity of 1-10 (to get Portamento transition) within 2 seconds, this second note will have the same velocity as the previous Legato note (higher than 70), even though you played it with low velocity (1-10). However, If you play a Portamento note later than the 2 seconds after the previous Legato note, it will have the velocity you just played and not the same velocity as the previous Legato note. This way you can use a Portamento transition with both layers without getting any obvious volume jumps, which would occur if you played a high velocity Legato note, let it sustain until it starts to decay naturally and then played a Portamento note which would have the same velocity as the previous Legato note.
- This script uses CC110 internally, so you should not be using it manually with this instrument.

3) Release Samples

- Added release samples for both dynamic layers.
- Fixed the issue with release samples triggering on note beginnings.
- Release Samples are not triggered after the samples naturally end anymore, so you don't hear the "release noise" twice.
- The attack of Release Samples is affected by CC1 position, so they start smoother when you release a quieter note with low CC1 position.

4) Keyboard Colors

- I changed the colors of the Kontakt virtual Keyboard, so the unused keys are black, the keys of the cello range are blue and the keyswitches are yellow.

5) Keyswitch Notes

C6 - Switch between Legato and Polyphonic mode
D6 - Switch between L-Legato and B-Legato preset
E6 - Turn on/off Round Robin script

- I moved the Keyswitch Notes one octave higher, so they don't interfere with the (hopefully extending) cello range.

6) CC1 (Mod wheel) Default Value

- I changed the Default Value of CC1 from 0 to 127, so when you load a patch, you don't have to move CC1 up to hear the cello in it's full volume.

Thanks to:

Acall - for some scripting advices and beta testing of this update.

Blakus - for recording the Finger Noises, beta testing of this update and of course for sharing pocketBlakus with us.

Big Bob - for helping me out with some scripting issues. I would have never finished this update without his support, and of course his awesome SIPS scripts, which are the essential part of pocketBlakus.

Other contributors - for providing me with the details for Credits sub-page and their previous work on pocketBlakus.

Hope you'll like it :wink:
Old 1st November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wonderful job!
Am really looking forward to using this update

atb,
kjb
Old 1st November 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Excellent stuff. Big thanks (to all concerned!)
Old 25th November 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thanks for all the support guys! I've been working hard testing out many things
Here's a new quick context test - Gladiator - using samples that will be in the upcoming new instrument.

πŸ“ Reply