Quantcast
500 series GAP-573 mic pre - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
500 series GAP-573 mic pre
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
500 series GAP-573 mic pre

Hey all - cant beleive this hasn't gotten a mention here yet - GAP-73 in 500 series with the EQ to follow a couple of months away. Apparently. There's nothing on golden ages site so Golden Age PRE-573 | 500 Series Preamps @ ZenPro Audio - Says its shipping by end of month, I've got two on order so they bloddy better!! . This "air band" sounds interesting and I'm wondering if it may be able to conneted to a variable pot, that's if I understand how it works
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Warren?
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma ➑️
Hey all - cant beleive this hasn't gotten a mention here yet - GAP-73 in 500 series with the EQ to follow a couple of months away. Apparently. There's nothing on golden ages site so Golden Age PRE-573 | 500 Series Preamps @ ZenPro Audio - Says its shipping by end of month, I've got two on order so they bloddy better!! . This "air band" sounds interesting and I'm wondering if it may be able to conneted to a variable pot, that's if I understand how it works
awesome!
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Really? I thought you GSer's would be all over this. Especially with the Street price of $260, the new "air band" and an "omniport" type connection for a dirt cheap 1073......EQ out in a months time (or there abouts)
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I imagine the "Air Band" will be very similar in effect to the "28K" switch on the Avedis MA5, if I had to guess.
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I find this quite interesting. Have to read up on the GAP-73 and how it sounds.

On the GAM site they say the air switch adds a boost from 10K that peaks 2dB at 35K.
Old 19th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
how this preamp compare with Vintech 573??
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

Very interested in this unit....
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Nut

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i think with the lindell audio and goldenage in the 500 series it's also time for me to get a lunchbox.. <3
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnytofu ➑️
I imagine the "Air Band" will be very similar in effect to the "28K" switch on the Avedis MA5, if I had to guess.
thats my guess also - I cant wait to her this in action. Wonder what trafo;s are going to fit - those carhills have no hope!!
Old 7th October 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
So any word on the 573 and how it compares sonically to the older units? Or even just a general thought on the sound?!
Old 7th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Not shipping until early November now apparently.

On a side note there's a 500 series EQ coming in the New Year...like the EQ-73 plus HPF.

this page (scroll down):
Golden Age Project (Product list) [Golden Age Music AB]
Old 7th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Really? Where does it say that - I'm waiting on a pair and they where supposed to be at zen pro at start of October - says the eq due for release in November.... I hope it's sooner rather than later
Old 7th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Follow OliverV's link. I was hoping for sooner, too. There is an image of the EQ now that I don't think was there the last time I looked.

I'm trying to do a low-end lunch box (funny, huh?). I have one of each Lindell module on order. Then, I may get the GAP500 pair.
Attached Thumbnails
500 series GAP-573 mic pre-gap573.jpg  
Old 8th October 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Wow, love all the gain staging options for the input DI sections.
Old 2nd November 2012
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
The PRE573 is arriving now for shipment, we will get inside them quickly and figure out if it's mod-ready and update our product page then.

War
Old 3rd November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
By the way, I cobbled that picture of the pre and EQ together out of the highest resolution images I could find on their website. I wanted to see what they'd look like side by side. I think I should have left or made a little gap (ha!). When it's smaller, it kind of looks like a double-wide module, instead.
Old 13th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Does anyone know if the gap-573 sounds like the original gap pre-73?
Old 15th January 2013 | Show parent
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream2010 ➑️
Does anyone know if the gap-573 sounds like the original gap pre-73?
The DLX and 573 have slightly different component choices than the PRE73 MK2. We are talking very, very slight differences at the end of the day. I personally wouldn't worry about whether it's exactly 100% the same, in my opinion it's one of those "so close it's not worth talking about" things.

War
Old 16th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Awesome. Thanks!!
Old 16th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
this just seems too good to be true. Really been wanting to get my foot in the "neve door" for a long time but could never afford to get close.
Old 16th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I emailed Bo from GAP a month or two ago about the possibility of a transformer mod and his recommendations.
To quote 'The PRE-573 uses tantalum caps in the signal path but I did chose the stock Chinese made transformers to keep cost down. Using the Carnhills would have increased the price quite a lot.

You can always exchange the transformers if you want to, it will be a bit of work but they will fit. Will keep your DIY skills in good shape…'

So he;s made a choice on the most expensive items. I've seen no plots or graphs or whatever, ot looks very tight - I cant think of a relevant trafo that would "drop in" = I;d love to know if there is.
I have two and to be honest was a bit hesitant at first about the transformers but they are are fantastic pre delivered to your door for a little over $260.
How close to a 1073 pre section - no idea and I;d suggest quite far, but so is the price...
Old 17th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Is it a matter of the footprint for the transformers being too small for a carnhill replacement?
Old 17th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
$200 worth of transformers in a $260 buy price mic-pre. Theres plenty of 500 pres for $500 that will have boutique trafo's as part of the design ready to roll- many inspired by the likes of the 1073... Its really diminishing the points of return - and I think Bo was eluding to that in our conversation.
Old 18th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I see what you mean. It would be cool to know in that the possibility of swapping them exist for experimenting in the future, but it looks like it still has a good features to price ratio. The price still confuses me, though. Even for cheap 500 series units 260 is pretty cheap. Especially for anything insinuating a sonic relationship to neve. I guess I kinda forget though that you are being spared the cost of a power supply. I know one can't expect this to compete with a neve, but can it still stand up next to the big guns....inquiring minds want to know!
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think its a simple case of Labor costs, volume and cutting corners where possible ie transformers. The rest is a couple of switches, resistors, caps, ect. Second most expensive by far and sometimes more expensive is the metal work and if you want fancy meters (which we all do)....
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So, has anyone gotten ahold of any of these and had a chance to do some listening tests?
Old 2nd April 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Also interested...

Seems like people are staying away from them or perhaps modded them to be amazing and keeping it a secret?
Old 2nd April 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Also interested...

Seems like people are staying away from them or perhaps modded them to be amazing and keeping it a secret?
Old 18th April 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Jesus! At the price, I am very doubtful these haven't found their way into the hands of many slutz by now. I am starting to speculate the cause of silence is from a whole lot of hurt feelings from all the vintech owners out there.
πŸ“ Reply