Quantcast
500 series GAP-573 mic pre - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
500 series GAP-573 mic pre
Old 18th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have a pair - I;m mainly using it for my synths and quite frankly its marvelous. I was all worried about the chinese transformers and wondering if the workmanship was going to be crap as I expected at the price. Nope - solid, swiches feel good. You can really push the transfomers and they saturate well. Ive had conversatin with Bo from GA and they used tant caps, star grounding. The circuit is supposedly been improved but did not elaborate. $260 delivered is crazy. I would recommend them. NOTE: I dont have that much experience with pres as I:m just coming out of the box - well hybrid more precisely. I say do it.
Old 23rd May 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I just plugged one of these in yesterday. I had one of the original boxes and sold it a while back. Due to a certificate I was able to buy one of these for $140, so it was a NBer. The original always had strange high end to me. Basically, I thought is sounded kind of cheap. Nevertheless, I figured I could try it out for snare duty. It's still fizzy on top, but it does work great on snare. I even tried the DI with bass and after processing, I think the track is a keeper. Lots of options in this little box that the original didn't have and the options are useful. Basically, my thought is that a unit will do you great, an entire session with these could result in extra work in the low and high end.
Old 9th June 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Any more opinions from owners? I was looking for a good under $300 mic pre for my sm7b (main use on lead vocals) and seen the pre 73 mentioned a lot and then I noticed the pre 573. I assume the pre 573 is just as good as the 73? But would like to hear from owners/users.
Thanks
Old 17th June 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
One thing the 573 does well that I didn't expect is bass DI. I felt like the low end was thin, but when you run only a low end piece through it, it sounds great - somehow.
Old 8th July 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The 573 is the newer upgrader version from the 73 MK2 right? Just checking, because I still see the 73 selling/costing more than the 573, even brand new?! So is there something I am missing? I am looking to get one of these mic pre amps. I don't have a rack so the mounting is not a problem, I can build my own if I really need one.
Old 8th July 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
573 goes in the 500 series racks. It's not powered, thus the lower price.
Old 8th July 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Ahhh. So it needs a 500 series rack power supply for it or what? Is there a cheaper alternative to power it? Can you just connect it to a audio interface? I am a newbie still so I am not really sure...at all haha.
Old 12th July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Started ➡️
Ahhh. So it needs a 500 series rack power supply for it or what? Is there a cheaper alternative to power it? Can you just connect it to a audio interface? I am a newbie still so I am not really sure...at all haha.
You should be able to just connect ind/out cables and a cheep power supply - with some simple soldering.

Haven't tried this myself though... But I can't seem why not??
Old 8th October 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
My GAP 573 burned out in less than 5 months. Can't find any info in the warranty. Told a friend and he said his burned out within 3 months. Just not good. And trying to take it back to GC per the Golden Age website - right. GC is gonna tell me to take a hike. Just can't find customer service for this stuff.
Old 6th May 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
A European company, the website is in Spanish (Rage Audio) is now selling the Carnhill (in and out) version of the GAP 573 preamp !

[url=http://rage-audio.com/index.php/categorias/mic-and-pre-amp/preamplificadores-de-microfono/golden-age-project-pre-573-mkii-plus.html]Golden Age Project PRE-573 MKII Plus - Preamplificadores de Micrófono - Mic and Pre Amp - Categor

Last edited by Oshea14; 21st July 2015 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 21st July 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
it looks like good-o' WAR at ZenPro is now stocked wit the Golden Age PRE-573 MK2 PLUS. These are the 500 series that come stocked with the carnhills.
Has anyone got these yet? How do they compare to the non-carnhill version?
http://www.zenproaudio.com/golden-age-pre-573-mk2-plus
Old 2nd November 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rechtien ➡️
My GAP 573 burned out in less than 5 months. Can't find any info in the warranty. Told a friend and he said his burned out within 3 months. Just not good. And trying to take it back to GC per the Golden Age website - right. GC is gonna tell me to take a hike. Just can't find customer service for this stuff.
Dude.... buy from Sweetwater and this problem is resolved in less than a day.......
📝 Reply