eq b.mp3 (5.26 MB, 881 views)

eq dry.mp3 (5.26 MB, 794 views)

Old 15th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do ➡️
UA and NI are slightly different but neither is "better". It's a matter of preference. They are very close in my own comparisons.

If you are a consumer who has neither and looking to purchase it comes down to $299 for three excellent plugins vs $1499 for uad2 quad plus price of one plugin.
But UAD will give you more instances without taxing your machine.For mastering that shouldn't matter,but for mixing........
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
UA and NI are slightly different but neither is "better". It's a matter of preference. They are very close in my own comparisons.

If you are a consumer who has neither and looking to purchase it comes down to $299 for three excellent plugins vs $1499 for uad2 quad plus price of one plugin.
the quad comes with the 1176, la2a and pultec too don't forget

its also worth noting that with the UAD option you could run 4 Massive Passives and still be able to have a normal session running too :P
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️
i heard the same when the vertigo was out : the best comp people were saying ....
Never said something like this for Vertigo...only for Portico 5043...which still is great but:

It's VCA compressor and not tube. Vari Comp is a pinnacle of tube modeling in a compressor in it sounds f****** magnificent.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyc ➡️

its also worth noting that with the UAD option you could run 4 Massive Passives and still be able to have a normal session running too :P
And some Fatsos,Studers,1176 Classics,Lexicons,Little Labs,SPL,Sonnox,SSL.Neve with no tax to your machine.And when they get the API stuff emulated and who knows what else.But by then you may need a couple quads.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex ➡️
Please don't concentrate only on Passive EQ. Also try Vari Comp!!! It eats 20% of my I7, but sounds A-M-Aa-Z-I-N-G...would never like to turn it off. I tried it on vocals, busses and it always sounds great. I have basically all the plugin comps, but this one smokes all the tube modeled ones. Softube really didn't want to compromise with these. They eat your CPU for breakfast but sound top notch...this bundle has just been bought!
hmmm,the vari ans passive combined are only putting 2% more overall strain on my i5 2500k?

playing the track the cpu hit 9%,12%,22%,34% with both plugins removed from the 2 buss.

inserting them the percentages are almost the same topping out at 36%

my vst meter in cubase 6.5 jumps higher,but not task manager.
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thinking passive eq as mastering eq. I'll demo it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Still nobody commented on the parallel topology,
which is a big part of the MP behavior

For the best of my knowledge the only software eqs
that uses parallel is the Sonoris and the SSL X-Eq (in parallel mode)

I don't know about the UAD tho
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
These seem like no brainers to me,I have a UAD Quad and many of their plugs but have held off on the Massive Passive due to the processor drain it would put on my card.
I also have Komplete8U,so I'm going to wait a bit to see if these will be in K9 as the amazing VC compressors are.
lol, I will not even let myself try the demos as I know I'll have too much trouble waiting for the Komplete 9 launch to see if they're part of K9!
woof woof
I do suspect they will be included.....
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgdrum_nyc ➡️
These seem like no brainers to me,I have a UAD Quad and many of their plugs but have held off on the Massive Passive due to the processor drain it would put on my card.
I also have Komplete8U,so I'm going to wait a bit to see if these will be in K9 as the amazing VC compressors are.
lol, I will not even let myself try the demos as I know I'll have too much trouble waiting for the Komplete 9 launch to see if they're part of K9!
woof woof
I do suspect they will be included.....
I think they will be a part of k9u,but I have some important projects right now.

Could wait glad I didn't,I have w uad solo cards.like you I didn't want max a card out.

I like both,native wins for now.but if uad3 come out at a decent price ill grab the mp then.

Sent from my PC36100
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhager84 ➡️
Thinking passive eq as mastering eq. I'll demo it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Really wish they would include an option for the MPs mastering filters. They are something that would be just awesome to have on this one as well
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal ➡️
Still nobody commented on the parallel topology,
which is a big part of the MP behavior

For the best of my knowledge the only software eqs
that uses parallel is the Sonoris and the SSL X-Eq (in parallel mode)

I don't know about the UAD tho
DDMF IIEQ Pro has a serial/parallel option as well.

I don't like word but in this case, passive EQ is a "game changer" for me.

Can't wait to buy it!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by krheatman ➡️
But UAD will give you more instances without taxing your machine.For mastering that shouldn't matter,but for mixing........
But NI will give you the same four and raise you more and you will still have CPU left all for $299. IMHO, Manley Massive Passive is probably the best vocal eq around except for Massenburg. They are heavily used in mixing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyc ➡️
If I'm running 4 UA MP's it doesn't matter what else it comes with I'm already maxed out on the Quad. Price wise it's no contest.

I have (2) quads so I understand the uad2 users point of view. I use one quad for MP and one for studer and ampex. Now I have the option of using Slate VTM instead of studer/ampex and The Softube/NI plug instead of the UA MP. With our impending upgrade to HDX3 in december the UAD2 Quads will probably be ebay'd.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie ➡️
Really wish they would include an option for the MPs mastering filters. They are something that would be just awesome to have on this one as well
I thought the mastering version only had stepped knobs. Different filters?
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex ➡️
Never said something like this for Vertigo...only for Portico 5043...which still is great but:

It's VCA compressor and not tube. Vari Comp is a pinnacle of tube modeling in a compressor in it sounds f****** magnificent.
This remark was never pointed to you friend i'm just pointing the regular honey moon thing ...ect ....still i didn't downloaded the demo .....lol ....
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Is there consensus on the hardware that each of these plug-ins is attempting to emulate?

1) Enhanced EQ = ?
2) Vari Compr = ?
3) Passive EQ = Manley Massive Passive Stereo Tube EQ

Thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
If I'm running 4 UA MP's it doesn't matter what else it comes with I'm already maxed out on the Quad. Price wise it's no contest.
Ah I thought you had stated that you only got 1 plugin here:

Quote:
sorry if I or anyone else misunderstood !

and FWIW I can run 4 UAD Massive Passives here and only hit 60%. There is a limit of 1 per card but it doesn't max out the entire card by itself.

I can run a 4 each of a Massive Passive, EMT 250, EMT 140, LA2A, 1176LN, dbx 160, Neve 88RS, SPL Transient Designer and a Cooper Time Cube and still not have my Quad maxed out.

Maybe you need to configure your system better?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
This remark was never pointed to you friend i'm just pointing the regular honey moon thing ...ect ....still i didn't downloaded the demo .....lol ....
too many comments in this thread for somebody who hasn't even tried the demo
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I understand my friend...I'm really impressed by this set of plugins like never after the Steinberg Portico or even more. Try them, I can assure you after 30 minutes the credit card will slip out of your wallet :D
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
But NI will give you the same four and raise you more and you will still have CPU left all for $299. IMHO, Manley Massive Passive is probably the best vocal eq around except for Massenburg. They are heavily used in mixing.

Vocal EQ?I would venture that most people on here would use it as a stereo eq for mastering.And I have seen tons of the real version in mastering racks all over.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYINGJAY ➡️
i agree work2do,i like both...

ok guys what do you think????
Don't take it bad but first, I think that the material chosen is wack.

Sorry to say that, but that panning almost gave me a headache. And these drums sound like they have not been mixed at all.

A finished mix with vocals would have been better IMHO. For these kind of tests, I always thought that the more complex the material is, the better it gives you an idea of how the plugin sound.

So, I think prefer A. Sounds "warmer" with a more solid bottom and less aggressive highs to my ears.

As for B, it sounds too bright, especially when the snare kicks in, and lacks bottom. Like it's "thin" in comparison.

There is a BIG difference from what I hear.

Anyway, thanks for posting .
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

I'm not in the studio, so take this with a grain of salt.

I like "B" best, have no idea which it is, but I have a guess..... heh

The REASON I like it best is not for the tone induced by the plugin (I may like A better for the actual EQ'd "sound"), but for the space it created around the sound, some might say 3D aspect that it brought to the loop.

Anyway, my $.02.

I'll wait for Komplete 9. Been burned too many time paying right out of the gate for NI's "late in the year" releases, only to get them for "free" a couple of months later with the new Komplete version..... Sound good though. Love to hear some more of the varicomp.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadgad ➡️
Is there consensus on the hardware that each of these plug-ins is attempting to emulate?

1) Enhanced EQ = ?
2) Vari Compr = ?
3) Passive EQ = Manley Massive Passive Stereo Tube EQ

Thanks
They all emulate Manley gear.

Vari Comp = Manley Variable MU
Enhanced EQ = Manley Enhanced Pultec EQP-1A
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

i think A have a plugin sound, B sound more like outboard

i don't really like any much more than the eq dry lol

Never used the uad plugin but have to say i never been really impressed by a softtube plugins except their clib when trying it. (haven 't demoed the summit plugs) so my guess A is Ni
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Vocal EQ?I would venture that most people on here would use it as a stereo eq for mastering.And I have seen tons of the real version in mastering racks all over.
The regular version is found in many more studios as opposed to the mastering version. There are differences in the boosts/cuts/filters and shelves between the two versions as well as the 16 detented steps not available on the regular version.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot ➡️
I thought the mastering version only had stepped knobs. Different filters?
The mastering version's filters are set at 12, 16, 23, 30, 39hz on the HPF 52, 40, 27, 20, 15k on LPF and to my ears are smoother overall. These filters live on my mix buss and most of the time is the only part of the eq I use there. The original filters IMO always cut a little too high/low into the mix, great for individual channels but not the mixbuss. Truly beautiful sounding.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
A great EQ is a great EQ. The massive passive is used for a lot more than just mastering. Heck, surely you are aware that there is a mastering version with proper switching knobs versus a "normal" version which is indeed meant for mixing.

Personally I've used one mainly on vocals, guitars bass and on the drum bus or overheads.

It's incredibly versatile.

The UAD2 is ridiculously underpowered. This was the case already at the moment of release. Sure, their plugins are great but the hardware is almost a scam. Yeah, I'm a former UAD user and I'm not planning on returning. Native is where it's at. Heck, even digidesign/avid understood that in the end.

Latest generation intel i7 processors are extremely powerful and can run hundreds of plugins + hundreds of tracks without any issues so there really is no excuse for DSP stuff any more, unless somebody creates a seriously powerful one (like 50x the power of the UAD2).

I tried the NI Passive EQ and Vari Comp and indeed they sound absolutely awesome. Make sure you properly gain stage the passive EQ. It sounds and behaves quite a bit differently depending on how hot a signal you are hitting it with. In a 64bit float daw like Reaper you can easily attenuate the signal with -24dB or more before hitting the plugin.. and then compensate on the output. This makes it sound very different compared to hitting it with full blast (also useful as it kind of compresses stuff).

Cheers!
bManic
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Abstract ➡️
i think A have a plugin sound, B sound more like outboard

i don't really like any much more than the eq dry lol

Never used the uad plugin but have to say i never been really impressed by a softtube plugins except their clib when trying it. (haven 't demoed the summit plugs) so my guess A is Ni
Well we have a guy here say I have no credibility because I don't think the plugin sound like the hardware unit.

Ok ill just go to the website of the people that made the plugin and believe whatever they tell me.

Even though I have great hearing.

But I felt the files on NI website did not show me much,they just seem louder.so I totally understand what you mean.

I'll find something else later.but I'm happy I purchased the bundle!

Sent from my PC36100
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Slash ➡️
Don't take it bad but first, I think that the material chosen is wack.

Sorry to say that, but that panning almost gave me a headache. And these drums sound like they have not been mixed at all.

A finished mix with vocals would have been better IMHO. For these kind of tests, I always thought that the more complex the material is, the better it gives you an idea of how the plugin sound.

So, I think prefer A. Sounds "warmer" with a more solid bottom and less aggressive highs to my ears.

As for B, it sounds too bright
Hey man we are waiting for you files.im just trying to help.

But you heard a difference,point served.

They are the second batch of files btw.the 1st set had vocals.

I can post commercial releases with similar Leslie pans,but feel free to let us hear your comparison

but maybe your right

i see more views for file a,i'd love more feedback.thanks for yours
Sent from my PC36100
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey man we are waiting for you files
Well, problem is that I don't have a UAD card.

I used the UAD Massive Passive heavily when I was doing an intership last year and loved its sound. It's just that I don't remember it sounding harsh as it was in your first "B" file.

I told you that because we're talking about using it as a master EQ, so in general you feed a master EQ with a final mix right ? Just saying.

Quote:
I can post commercial releases with similar Leslie pans,but feel free to let us hear your comparison
Please don't, I don't want to have headaches anymore.
📝 Reply