Quantcast
Native Instruments Premium Tube Series - Page 27 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Native Instruments Premium Tube Series
Old 24th May 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
i think the VARI COMP is great but a little bit too colored ... i would prefer something more transparent like the duende SSL bus comp. Good stuff anyway it is worth his price.
Old 24th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Huh The duende is not at all transparent!
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I know it's colored, yes, but how similar or dissimilar is it to the hardware version?
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM ➡️
Huh The duende is not at all transparent!
No where near as colored as VARI.Not even close.

Even now some engineers still like to track on a Neve and get the color upfront,between the tape machine the Neve console,and outboard.

Then they want to mix on an SSL because it is more transparent.
Duende is transparent in relative terms.There are ways to get color out of some plugins,but not like VARI which is always colored.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 28th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by krheatman ➡️
No where near as colored as VARI.Not even close.

Even now some engineers still like to track on a Neve and get the color upfront,between the tape machine the Neve console,and outboard.

Then they want to mix on an SSL because it is more transparent.
Duende is transparent in relative terms.There are ways to get color out of some plugins,but not like VARI which is always colored.

Sent from my PC36100
Sure I wouldn't think it is, just as I wouldn't think it with the hardware ssl vs. a vari mu. But, I still think overall relative to what you start with, they each have their own color. It's too obvious on the Duende for example to not think that. It's just funny sounding to say "transparent", even "more transparent" when it comes to these legendary or classic pieces. If you want transparent there are quite a bit of those these days that would seem more appropriate to me.
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM ➡️
Sure I wouldn't think it is, just as I wouldn't think it with the hardware ssl vs. a vari mu. But, I still think overall relative to what you start with, they each have their own color. It's too obvious on the Duende for example to not think that. It's just funny sounding to say "transparent", even "more transparent" when it comes to these legendary or classic pieces. If you want transparent there are quite a bit of those these days that would seem more appropriate to me.
Ok,how about opaque?

Funny how the truly transparent hardware usually used to be even more expensive.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 1st June 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
So, are the NI plugs just as good?
Old 15th June 2013
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I'm gonna write about the compressor since it's the only one I've tried so far.

Meh.. I'm not that sure metering is really precise on the Vari Comp PLUS it's somewhat a resource hog (cpu-wise, of course). Really nice if used correctly by technicians with hands-on experience with vari-mus, i'm pretty sure it's gonna be one of my most used mastering comps.
Just one complaint (the same as always): WHY aren't knobs precise? I'm all good with small interfaces and all.. but PLEASE, people need CLEAR metering and SENSITIVE knobs.
Old 13th December 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I reach this discussion very late, but have listened to the samples FlyingJay sent on page 3, comparing the UAD and NI rendition of the Massive Passive. I own and have extensively used an UAD-1, but without the MP plugin; and am still awaiting for the NI tube collection, so I cannot do my own test. In the meantime, I would say that I find the UAD sample much more realistic, as far as analog simulation is concerned. Bass is tighter, more focused and more controlled, and exhibits some hint of "acidity" that is typical of real circuits. NI is great, and probably set a bit differently, but bass are too "pumped up" and boomy to sound as they should in a classic analog production.

However, I suspect NI plugins, with the right settings, can do as well as the UAD ones. I cannot wait to prove this.

Paolo

Last edited by Paolo T.; 14th December 2013 at 02:59 AM.. Reason: Mistake
Old 21st January 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Does anyone have links to good resources for ear training? I've been producing as a hobby for a few years now and I want to move up to the next level, but I have trouble hearing subtle things. Comes with the territory, I suppose.

I recently got Komplete 9 and would like to take advantage of these plugins, but the differences between these and, say, using Ableton's built in EQ to attenuate frequencies are almost imperceptible to my ears. Same goes for differences in compression plug ins, etc. I've read a lot on the subject, but I'm having trouble learning to actually hear things. Youtube has low audio quality, obviously, so I haven't dug around there too much. Any thoughts, y'all?
Old 21st January 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Does anyone have links to good resources for ear training? I've been producing as a hobby for a few years now and I want to move up to the next level, but I have trouble hearing subtle things. Comes with the territory, I suppose.

I recently got Komplete 9 and would like to take advantage of these plugins, but the differences between these and, say, using Ableton's built in EQ to attenuate frequencies are almost imperceptible to my ears. Same goes for differences in compression plug ins, etc. I've read a lot on the subject, but I'm having trouble learning to actually hear things. Youtube has low audio quality, obviously, so I haven't dug around there too much. Any thoughts, y'all?
Old 21st January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by midilifestyle ➡️

This is pretty nifty with different levels to boot: https://www.philips-goldenears.com/en/challenge.html#
Old 22nd January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by midilifestyle ➡️

With eq's its all about the curve differences. I can easily hear a difference at the same settings between Softube Passive Eq and Softube Trident. A pultec even more so.
📝 Reply