The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Native Instruments Premium Tube Series
Old 24th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshook ➡️
As a user of SPL Passeq Native I must say that this NI Manley Pqssive Eq is way more flexible and fits all mastering situations much better than Passeq. The main weakness of Passeq is a MID range control.
It is more flexible than Passeq, its a better all rounder. However I feel Passeq does do thinks in the bass region that NI passive does not.

They could compliment each other.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav ➡️
It is more flexible than Passeq, its a better all rounder. However I feel Passeq does do thinks in the bass region that NI passive does not.

They do indeed compliment each other.
The Passeq is great for low mids...the 700 band gets a lot of use from me. Brings out the meat of vocals in the center like nothing else that I have.

The hi mids are way better on the NI...and the top has more of the pleasing MP character.
Old 24th November 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

I use the enhance d eq after the passive eq,there's my meat!

It really thicken things up,maybe they were in tented to be used together?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYINGJAY ➡️
I use the enhance d eq after the passive eq,there's my meat!

It really thicken things up,maybe they were in tented to be used together?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Yeah those two really do work well together. You guys trying to get my to buy the tube bundle aren't you?

I just bought the Active-Passive pack in the mix bundle, can't wait to try them out along with the FET.
Lives for gear

Yesterday I ordered the Premium Tube Series and the Summit Audio Grandchannel.... can't wait to put those into good use.
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mista min ➡️
Yesterday I ordered the Premium Tube Series and the Summit Audio Grandchannel.... can't wait to put those into good use.
Yeah that is quite appealing to me, the Grand channel is really good for dance music here, especially slower tempo stuff like house. The TLA is instant groove. I had it on trial recently..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah that is quite appealing to me, the Grand channel is really good for dance music here, especially slower tempo stuff like house. The TLA is instant groove. I had it on trial recently..
I put the Vari-Mu on bass and it was perfect... I mean really perfect... crazy good plugin! Haven't gotten the ilok's for the Grandchannel just yet
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can't believe it! I could've sworn I purchased the Premium Tube Series, and for some reason, I got Vintage Compressors Bundle... I already own it! Hopefully NI will exchange me. They already sent me codes though, and they're freaking closed until after the deal is over. Me = not happy right now.
Old 25th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Bought.
Old 26th November 2012
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Just a note, what I said earlier in the thread about enhanced EQ not distorting at all is false, it definitely distorts if you drive it hard enough. I thought it must as it's based on a tube unit.

I expect there would have been much more hype about these plug-ins and the LA2A they did for NI if Softube released them themselves.
Old 26th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Just a note, what I said earlier in the thread about enhanced EQ not distorting at all is false, it definitely distorts if you drive it hard enough. I thought it must as it's based on a tube unit.

I expect there would have been much more hype about these plug-ins and the LA2A they did for NI if Softube released them themselves.
I've tried the MP emulation but never managed to get a level dependent strong sat/distortion
I like the sound though.
A.
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_bt ➡️
I've tried the MP emulation but never managed to get a level dependent strong sat/distortion
I like the sound though.
A.

Have a listen 4 bars dry, 4 bars distorted by MP. Had to throw 2 Free-G plug-ins full whack though.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Have a listen 4 bars dry, 4 bars distorted by MP. Had to throw 2 Free-G plug-ins full whack though.
How many dB is that? are you driving above 0dBFS?
A.
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
How many dB is that? are you driving above 0dBFS?
A.
Oh yeah, my levels were kind of hot already, then I pushed them up by 36dB

Of course it's an extreme example, just to be obvious. You can check it out on VST analyser too.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Of course it's an extreme example, just to be obvious. You can check it out on VST analyser too.
To me it sounds a lot like digital clipping, probably the plug running out of headroom internally, are you talking +36dB above full scale? wouldn't make much sense for a developer IMO, let's not talk about inserting the plug in an analog chain...
A.
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
To me it sounds a lot like digital clipping, probably the plug running out of headroom internally, are you talking +36dB above full scale? wouldn't make much sense for a developer IMO, let's not talk about inserting the plug in an analog chain...
A.
YES
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
YES
I did a quick test driving between -18dBFS and 0, there seems to be a difference indeed.
It was around -60dBFS for that 18dB of drive.
A.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Tested further and it seems you're right, the distortion keeps rising while you push it further above full scale and the frequency content seems to change also... curious...
A.
PS: so it does distort... but you need to be REALLY angry!

Last edited by Andy_bt; 26th November 2012 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: PS
Old 27th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Just mixed/mastered first song with NI Premium Tube Bundle

I just finished my first mix with NI Premium Tube Passive Eq and Vari Comp on my 2trk Mix. I was having trouble getting the level I wanted while monitoring with T-Racks meter and Waved Dorrough Meter on the Master Bus. I referenced my mix to NE-YO's "Don't Make EM Like You" from his R.E.D cd. To get the desired level I used the following in order Vari Comp, Passive Eq, and lastly the Oxford Limiter. The NI plugins are amazing.

However to understand them better, I downloaded the Manley manuals for the Massive Passive, Manley Enhanced Pultec Eq, and the Vari-Mu. They offer a wealth of info that will assist you with how the Eq Bandwiths, Shelfs, and Bell Curves work.
Old 27th November 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Am i the only one thinking that the knob resolution is stupid !! they got it very well for the vintage compressors now , why don't they update those ...:(
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just picked up the Vari-Comp on sale for $60.

I think it sounds pretty special/unique and I have a bunch o good software comps - this one adds something new for me

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar012001 ➡️
However to understand them better, I downloaded the Manley manuals for the Massive Passive, Manley Enhanced Pultec Eq, and the Vari-Mu. They offer a wealth of info that will assist you with how the Eq Bandwiths, Shelfs, and Bell Curves work.
This. Thanks for reminding me. I almost grabbed them when I was reading about the hardware over there.

It's a little confusing since there are multiple versions for two of the units. I snagged them all. I mean all for the two EQ's and compressor.

I also need to get manuals for the Vintage Comps, since I also bought those. I think I at least already have the 1176, and maybe the LA2, but not the 160.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I picked up all three on the CyberMonday deal. However, the knob controls don't seem to work correctly with the standard Pro Tools (V.9) modifier keys. Normally Option+click will zero back to default. I find that Command+click goes to default. Hopefully they will address this soon for consistency. The audio does seem very promising!
Old 13th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce ➡️
I picked up all three on the CyberMonday deal. However, the knob controls don't seem to work correctly with the standard Pro Tools (V.9) modifier keys. Normally Option+click will zero back to default. I find that Command+click goes to default. Hopefully they will address this soon for consistency. The audio does seem very promising!

How much was the Cyber monday deal? 50% off?
Old 13th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonater ➡️
How much was the Cyber monday deal? 50% off?
I believe it was 50%. I remember they were a really good deal but I didn't want to spend at the time.
Old 14th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Neither sounds bad, but are they both set exactly the same? I feel like the NI version has more top end and overall a bit too bright and airy. It feels a little weaker in the bass as well. The UAD version retains the solid feel. But I think this comes down to settings right?

On some parts the NI version sounds tinny though. Brighter, yet more distant and less focused.

I don't know, these listening tests are difficult.
Listening to this it seems to me these eq's are not matched. The UAD sounds a lot better just because it is on more suitable settings for the material imo.

You may have set them the same, but didn't you use a mastering version of the plug-in which is different from the one NI put out anyway?
Old 14th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Aiyn Zahav, yea I had mentioned the discrepancies in the values some time ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM ➡️
Dappolito has a good point. Not the point that EQ's like this are stupid, of course. But that settings should be analyzed to ensure they are equal amounts of boost and cut. For example, try a nice +6 dB setting to compare. On the NI that 6 dB boost is actually read around 13.5. And the Q should be turned counter clockwise just a tad to match a bit better. Where as the UAD is straight up the middle for level to be set +6. Q is good pretty much in the middle.

I found the UAD to be bit more fuller in the low mid's, exhibiting more of a punchy power thing. I did have a file rendered with the hardware for my personal reference as I do not have access to the HW at this point in time and the hardware has this power in the lower mid's just as well. Nebula came closest to matching the hardware "feel"; there's this kind of knock to it. I personally liked UAD over the NI. Having said all of that, there's no way one could go wrong with any of them provided you make the right decisions with them. They are all at a level of realism and quality, just pick what you like best and be on your way.
Old 23rd March 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hey Slutz,
I'm selling my Premium Tube Series (PC/Mac: Au, Rtas, Aax, VST) by Native Instruments, for 50% of the actual Price.

They're great and I use them in every Mix. The only reason I'm selling them, is because I've got them twice. If you're interested, just PM me. They're still unregistered, so you ca n just register them under your name as usual.

cheers
Old 23rd March 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hey Slutz,
I'm selling my Premium Tube Series (PC/Mac: Au, Rtas, Aax, VST) by Native Instruments, for 50% of the actual Price.

They're great and I use them in every Mix. The only reason I'm selling them, is because I've got them twice. If you're interested, just PM me. They're still unregistered, so you ca n just register them under your name as usual.

cheers
Old 30th April 2013
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Has the Vari Comp been compared to the Vari Mu? How close to the hardware is it?
📝 Reply