Old 1st October 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
do you know if Damage gonna be included and those plugins
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I've been reading post on gs about the hardware various much.reports of a softer but thicker bottom end!

So i'm avoid using it on the master buss.I love it but maybe I'll try it on instruments and vox for a while and try the 1176 on the 2 buss.

Sent from my AT100
Old 1st October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I want to get this bundle but will also wait for K9. Native Instruments should offer a system where you can buy the new plugins now and then get the money credited using a voucher against K9 when it is released. That way they get their money earlier (more insterest in the bank) and the user gets their plugins without waiting. Everyone wins. Also the user might get tempted to buy a competitor's new product the longer they keep them waiting.
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan ➡️
I want to get this bundle but will also wait for K9. Native Instruments should offer a system where you can buy the new plugins now and then get the money credited using a voucher against K9 when it is released. That way they get their money earlier (more insterest in the bank) and the user gets their plugins without waiting. Everyone wins. Also the user might get tempted to buy a competitor's new product the longer they keep them waiting.
True that!

As of now I'm skipping k9,as a owner of the tube bundle and k8u,I'm curious to see if I'm motivated for k9.

Sent from my AT100
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️
do you know if Damage gonna be included and those plugins
I asked about that and expected it would be included since I bought Damage 1 or 2 months ago when they had the sale & expected to be hosed! lol
But he said NO,since it's actually Heavyocity's premier product.
Old 1st October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgdrum_nyc ➡️
I asked about that and expected it would be included since I bought Damage 1 or 2 months ago when they had the sale & expected to be hosed! lol
But he said NO,since it's actually Heavyocity's premier product.
Lol! I jumped on the Damage deal too, expecting the same. But they did include both Heavyocity's Evolve products in K8U. Guess we'll see what happen's next.
Old 4th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotl ➡️
0.01% THD = -80 dB

0.06% THD = -65 dB

...and plug-ins usually add more harmonics than HW versions cause like that people can easier hear that added saturation, so everybody can conclude how 'analog' those plug-ins sound. It just shows big popularity of saturation and 'analog' that plug-in designers follow these days. Softube are usually honest without exaggerating things...or I just like to think so.
but it don't really sound analog... people think oh there is harmonics it's complex modeling on analog hardware but i'm under the impression it don't mean much, it s probably one out of many factors and one that don't matter much .
Old 6th October 2012
Deleted 1846071
vari comp my new go-to on bass. it's just right.

very similar to ik 670. ik is better on drums tho.
Old 6th October 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummerz ➡️
vari comp my new go-to on bass. it's just right.

very similar to ik 670. ik is better on drums tho.
I'm back to vary comp on my 2 buss,just had to dial in more dry signal.very nice compressor!!!

Sent from my AT100
Old 6th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Abstract ➡️
but it don't really sound analog... people think oh there is harmonics it's complex modeling on analog hardware but i'm under the impression it don't mean much, it s probably one out of many factors and one that don't matter much .
Programmers can model sound (in narrower sense) and/or behavior of a processing unit.
IMO Harmonics can significantly affect both and they often exaggerate with it for the reason I said earlier but also to camouflage poor (or better to say > not good enough) modeling of compressor's behavior.
Old 28th October 2012
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I searched, and didn't see it.
Is it confirmed that the enhanced EQ is the Manley Pultec, here:
Manley Enhanced Mono & Stereo Pultec EQP-1A's

Thanks
Old 7th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mark ➡️
I searched, and didn't see it.
Is it confirmed that the enhanced EQ is the Manley Pultec, here:
Manley Enhanced Mono & Stereo Pultec EQP-1A's

Thanks
I can't find any confirmation if it is or isn't but based on the eq points and the Manley connection to the MP it seems likely that you are right
Old 7th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They probably don't have the licensing deals in place. But we all know better heh
Old 12th November 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
If I already have The Glue, is it worth it to get the Vari Comp? I was going to get the Passive EQ, but now I'm debating on getting the bundle.

(And part of me wants to wait for the K9 announcement in case it just comes along with that).
Old 12th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeABow ➡️
If I already have The Glue, is it worth it to get the Vari Comp? I was going to get the Passive EQ, but now I'm debating on getting the bundle.

(And part of me wants to wait for the K9 announcement in case it just comes along with that).

I haven't tried this because I hope and expect this to be included in K9U.
I will not try or buy anything NI until K9U is released,lol !!
I have K8U which I love I've been told SessionHorns(I think Pro?) will be included,these effects are supposedly as well,so to resist temptation I'm ignoring them until K9U is announced & released.
In the meantime The Glue is wonderful!!
Old 12th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeABow ➡️

For me the Vari-comp is the standout in the bundle. It's very different from the Glue you need to demo it, their demos are very good, they don't seem to expire, you'll get a real feel for it.

The way the vari-comp reacts is just so nice, it's smooth and yet it seems to be able to deliver some amount of punch when you push it. It's a different character from the Glue.
Old 12th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav ➡️
The way the vari-comp reacts is just so nice, it's smooth and yet it seems to be able to deliver some amount of punch when you push it. It's a different character from the Glue.
I agree, Aiyn. Also, I'm amazed at how little it takes to get subtle, desirable gain reduction out of it for 2bus use. The tiniest movement of the meter needle is all it takes in some situations. Just like the API-2500, you can get some GR without it affecting the lows.

I'm using the Passive EQ's M/S features for some subtle, low-mid widening for mastering. I'll cut some db around 350hz on Mid and then cut a few db less than I did for Mid for the Side. Super sweet sounding. Helps offset the fact I mono-ize the lows. Gives a little 3d perception to the lows while still keeping the energy and fundamentals centered.

I'm loving this bundle. Great value, too. We can say what we want about NI, but clearly their volume is allowing Softube product/quality at a lower price point.
Old 13th November 2012
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I have an update: the Vari Comp seems a little quick to show it's tube side in terms of distortion.
Old 13th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I have an update: the Vari Comp seems a little quick to show it's tube side in terms of distortion.
I found it's behavior to change a lot depending on the gain staging. Feeding it with a -18db I got a much better sound for my tastes.

I also checked it out on an analyser and it producers very high THD when fed with high input, as does the Passive Eq.
Old 14th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav ➡️
I found it's behavior to change a lot depending on the gain staging. Feeding it with a -18db I got a much better sound for my tastes.

I also checked it out on an analyser and it producers very high THD when fed with high input, as does the Passive Eq.
I have not got the Passive to distort.
Does that -18 dB on limit mode do the same?
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I have not got the Passive to distort.
Does that -18 dB on limit mode do the same?
Limit mode on the compressor? I can't remember exactly if I tried it on limit mode when running the analyser, but I expect it's just the same.

I actually didn't like the passive Eq until I backed off the input all the way down to -18dB.

The Passive eq can be used an an out-right distortion box. Just plug-in some sonalksis Free-G or any other gain plug-in before it, or two of them, and crank up that gain. You will need to reduce the gain after the passive EQ so you don't blow your speakers of course The gain knobs at the center of Passive EQ (6dB +-) do not affect the harmonic distortion of the plug-in., so they cannot be used to increase or decrease distortion within the plug-in. It sounds very nice as a distortion plug I will add.

The enhanced Eq does not have any reaction based on input level. Softube told me why this was but either it was too vague or too complex because I don't remember now.
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Have to say, using the varimu for sidechaining my instrumental from my lead vocal and it's magic. Perfect effect and sounds great. Lets the vocal breath a little between the music and sounds quite modern. Only needs a dB or two.
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria89 ➡️
Have to say, using the varimu for sidechaining my instrumental from my lead vocal and it's magic. Perfect effect and sounds great. Lets the vocal breath a little between the music and sounds quite modern. Only needs a dB or two.
It's beautiful for side-chaining. I wish they had released a VST3 version.
Old 14th November 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I'm sure this will be great for Kontakt users
Old 14th November 2012
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Aiyn, the limit mode seems to distort way quicker. I'll try out that Passive distortion, soon.

I agree about the vocal part with the Vari Comp. It's worked flawless on mine. I can't imagine mixing without it, now.
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Aiyn, the limit mode seems to distort way quicker. I'll try out that Passive distortion, soon.

I agree about the vocal part with the Vari Comp. It's worked flawless on mine. I can't imagine mixing without it, now.
Oh I see. Well they have different compression ratios.
Old 22nd November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm a little late too the party, can anybody say, does the Passive EQ have a great top end even when running at 44.1khz? Or must it be switched to 88 or 96 to get the effect?

Thanks,
Old 23rd November 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
personally, i love the top end of the passive, in fact i love everything about it, but i think the low end is just incredible. Really hard to make it muddy Until 26 november it's 50% off! The biggest steal ever!
Old 24th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As a user of SPL Passeq Native I must say that this NI Manley Pqssive Eq is way more flexible and fits all mastering situations much better than Passeq. The main weakness of Passeq is a MID range control.
Old 24th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Blanco ➡️
personally, i love the top end of the passive, in fact i love everything about it, but i think the low end is just incredible. Really hard to make it muddy Until 26 november it's 50% off! The biggest steal ever!
Even at this great price I have to restrain myself as from past experience I keep buying 'bargains' which I pay twice for in the end as this will inevitably end up in K9.
📝 Reply