The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Native Instruments Premium Tube Series
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by devastat ➡️
Yes, exactly. Because they are both equalizers.
And compressors compress,agreed.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by krheatman ➡️
Ok guess which one has the UAD MP,Passive EQ,or Both.Screen print included also.They are all done with the Vari and the Pro L thats it.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3750034/Let%20go%201.wav

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3750034/Let%20go%202.wav

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3750034/Let%20go%203.wav

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3750034/Let%20go.pdf
They all sound pretty close, I truly have no idea what's what. Great song and singer, really dig the guy's style. My only suggestion is to remove the limiter because it's eating the transients a little too much but that's just me. I'd love to give this a try if you still wanna master it
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie ➡️
They all sound pretty close, I truly have no idea what's what. Great song and singer, really dig the guy's style. My only suggestion is to remove the limiter because it's eating the transients a little too much but that's just me. I'd love to give this a try if you still wanna master it
These were done just to give an idea of the difference between the MP and the Passive,and show they could be set similar sounding.1 is the MP,2 is both,3 is the Passive.I only did them with headphones also.
As far as mastering goes,when I get stems from him,I will throw a stem mix up and let you play with it.The mixes tend to bury the LV here and there and the bass needs more definition,etc.
Sent from my PC36100
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Ok guyz , we discussed a lot the eq , but as i'm a comp guy , the Vari comp is my "this week toy" ....so here we go

Settings and name reminds the Vari Mu from manley also , any Vari Mu user here that can comment on this?

Is NI have done communication about that ?
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️
Ok guyz , we discussed a lot the eq , but as i'm a comp guy , the Vari comp is my "this week toy" ....so here we go

Settings and name reminds the Vari Mu from manley also , any Vari Mu user here that can comment on this?

Is NI have done communication about that ?
I was trying it out today on a full track. As I said before, it just seems to make thing sound bigger.

I am trying to level match as much as I can, it seems to do this even when the needle doesn't move. Is that needle accurate by the way? It seems to act odd at times.

Maybe I am just hearing things, but I don't experience this sensation with other compressors or if I do it sounds a little different, for example Vertigo, when you boost the make-up I am certain it sounds like more than just volume gain.

I just used a bunch of EQs on it too, and I have to say the Passive EQ gave me better results and took almost no time in comparison to do so. Amazing in that regard. It's still easy to screw things up with it though, I find it tricky, its a little too much, then a little too little. But I think I definitely prefer leaving the filters alone. They have some kind of resonance perhaps or something. Useful as creative effect maybe. The LP filters I don't mind using as much but I don't think I like the HP.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
YEp my friend you nailed it ...the eq has to be mastered !! if you see my video for exemple the LP i go 18 or nothing and when boosting like say 15 i LP at 18 to kind master and find the sweet spot and all (to tell the truth didn't touch those since the video ...no time now)

The comp first contact was excellent ....
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
The comp has become my go to for almost everything (wish i could run more than 3 in my already taxed sessions!)

The comp with the tube warmth preset going into VTM has really solidified my master fader...

Vertigo still wins in some cases though (specially when theres already lots of solid compressing going on elsewhere)

I love vari comp... and vertigo.... and the glue (which i dont think of enough!!!)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by krheatman ➡️
These were done just to give an idea of the difference between the MP and the Passive,and show they could be set similar sounding.1 is the MP,2 is both,3 is the Passive.I only did them with headphones also.
As far as mastering goes,when I get stems from him,I will throw a stem mix up and let you play with it.The mixes tend to bury the LV here and there and the bass needs more definition,etc.
Sent from my PC36100
Very cool
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Another random post:

I put the Vari Comp up to Softube's CL-1B, and it seemed nearly to sound the same. The Vari Comp seemed just the tiniest bit "smoother," and the CL-1B seemed to have about the same character. Other than that, it seems to be nearly the same compressor, to me.
It actually took me a good 20-30 minutes of switching between the two, to finally be able to distinguish these two variations.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mark ➡️
I put the Vari Comp up to Softube's CL-1B, and it seemed nearly to sound the same. The Vari Comp seemed just the tiniest bit "smoother," and the CL-1B seemed to have about the same character. Other than that, it seems to be nearly the same compressor, to me.
It actually took me a good 20-30 minutes of switching between the two, to finally be able to distinguish these two variations.

I'm surprised you're the first person in this really long thread to bring this up.

When NI first announced these plugs, I simply assumed that at least one or two of them would essentially be duplicates of products that Softube has already released. At least that's the previous pattern with these NI "generic UI" Softube releases.

Anyone remember the NI Vintage Compressors? Only one of them was new: the dbx emulation. The other two were repackaged prior Softube releases minus a feature or two: VC 2A=Softube Summit Audio TLA and VC 76=Softube FET Compressor.

Take a close look at the Enhanced EQ and compare to the Tubetech PE 1C. I would be extremely surprised if there were any difference beyond the top two frequencies on the low boost. Now that you say that the Vari Comp sounds like the CL 1B - I can't help but wonder whether it is the CL 1B with minor UI changes. Anyone else notice that the Summit EQF-100 (the EQ in the Grand Channel) is also a four-band passive EQ? Yes, there are some differences, but is there truly new modeling or is this Passive a mid/side-enabled tweak of that EQ model?

This rebranding is fine if it gets those great plugs (and they are superb) into more hands. It would be helpful for those of us who already own the Softube versions if Softube could be explicit about what relationship these NI plugs have to them.

Caveat: I haven't bothered to spend any time demoing the NI plugs and don't plan to until somebody from Softube or NI confirms that any of them are something I don't already own.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by biomuse ➡️
Anyone remember the NI Vintage Compressors? Only one of them was new: the dbx emulation. The other two were repackaged prior Softube releases minus a feature or two: VC 2A=Softube Summit Audio TLA and VC 76=Softube FET Compressor.
Sorry but you're totally wrong.

When the vintage compressors were released I did testings and the FET did not sound the same as the VC 76. I also contacted Softube, and they told me they the indeed modeled a new unit.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Slash ➡️
I also contacted Softube, and they told me they the indeed modeled a new unit.
Completely new emulation, from the ground up?! I really doubt that. But what else could they tell you? Cause no need for that. Just tweak the algorithm little bit a there you go. Maybe (juuuuust MAYBE) they modeled a new unit but with combining it to the older algorithm. That would be a bit more realistic then complete new redone.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
i second Kslash , they sound totally diffrents (and less good !!) the fet is a beast , the tla , well will do a video on it as it's higly underatted !!

the CL1B : one of my desert island !!

Softube guyz are serious ...fir exemple the SAT knob on the X1 Pro channel (that then became one years later also available inPT) , whenit was relaleased , my first thought was "they just took the Focusing EQ drive know and voila " ....but hell no , i reached Niklas that told me no , and when it was out it was excactly as he said ...totally different ...
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Another random post:

If you compare 2 comps that have a lot of tweakabilty (like those) you can find similitues more quikly than 2 comp like lest's say a DBX 160 and a LA2A ....

To really appreciate differences , push them to their limit ....
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotl ➡️
Completely new emulation, from the ground up?! I really doubt that. But what else could they tell you? Cause no need for that. Just tweak the algorithm little bit a there you go. Maybe (juuuuust MAYBE) they modeled a new unit but with combining it to the older algorithm. That would be a bit more realistic then complete new redone.
Can you check the processing with both plugs running the same signal to see if the algorithm is more complex on either?

Sent from my PC36100
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
i tested and checked the transient response and they clearly don't have the same detection , the FET is faster than the vc76 even when lookakead is not angaged ...understand here resulting in a faster attack on transients ....

i tested also the ssl (not the subject here and not made by softube) and its miles away from real ssl or even my duende or waves
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There's a cult-like climate that surrounds Softube here as i can see. People, better find real religion and leave this kind of beliefs to audiophiles.

All I'm saying is they didn't have to redo complete algorithm and i doubt they tested another unit. Right! What a joke! Background of difference that you hear can be explained in other ways. I doubt is they would make some semi-softube 1176 better than their own FET (which is fantastic BTW).
Yes, they are serious but not serious as Melanoma malignum.

And, yes, everything can be checked...
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's also a little "different" in that often, after Softube releases a plug-in, they're on Gearslutz communicating a little... about questions, more info, etc. Not a peep out of 'em on the NI plug-ins... even with all the questions, conclusions, and conjecture that have been offered up in this thread.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Dotl ...i'm talking real tests man , not conjectures ....the first thing i did when the comps were out is heavy testing ....as those comps are not in my arsenal today , you can make your conclusion (vintage comps NI) ...

Second thing : Softube have made a framework /their own apps for designing there algorythm...witch mean that you will have , i think always the same "Core" (graphic engine ect ...) and then varaiables changes + varaiables added ...

Third : a myth around softube ? have you tried their plugins ? AT LEAST AS GOOD AS UAD right ? trident , fet ect ....and maintenance ? plugins are basically rock solid from day one and you have all format available since it could be possible (64bits and axx , they were one the first to do it ) and all those facts tells a lot imho about how serious about their bizness they are .....

Do you see Waves coments on the forum ? or guyz from UAD ? not that much , a lot of dev knows that it's gonna be a lost of time and energy most of the time (not always !!lol) cause as we all know , GS is a special place right ? Softube is not supposed to communciate on those , NI should ...

kudos to guyz like Steven , Fabrice Gabriel , Dirk (brainworx) , Mathew Lane , Greg ......for being always avaible on this forum and have patience with us !!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Do you see Waves coments on the forum ? or guyz from UAD ? not that much , a lot of dev knows that it's gonna be a lost of time and energy most of the time (not always !!lol) cause as we all know , GS is a special place right ? Softube is not supposed to communciate on those , NI should ...

kudos to guyz like Steven , Fabrice Gabriel , Dirk (brainworx) , Mathew Lane , Greg ......for being always avaible on this forum and have patience with us !!
That's what I'm saying... I don't see Softube or Native Instruments making any further comments on these plug-ins, other than just releasing them with their ad blurb and manual... and insinuating the hardware these plug-ins may be based on.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut ➡️
That's what I'm saying... I don't see Softube or Native Instruments making any further comments on these plug-ins, other than just releasing them with their ad blurb and manual... and insinuating the hardware these plug-ins are based on.
Java , my friend , is it that important ? this would have been a big plus , yes but , the demo is released , we can use it and share our experience (what we done here) and the sonic impact of those babies witch is the most important ....

And most of the time if the dev keem in to mutch then they will have comments like "biased infos , marketing answer , ect ..."
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Not calling you out, but asking straightforwardly: Are you primarily a musician or an engineer? Generally speaking, musicians will likely not notice much of a difference, but engineers will.

The CL1-B is an opto. This feels like a vari-mu, with the ratio changing smoothly with the knee and degree of compression. Check out the limiter mode. The CL1-B and this thing seem wholly unrelated, other than they both reduce dynamic range.

- c
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Java , my friend , is it that important ? this would have been a big plus , yes but , the demo is released , we can use it and share our experience (what we done here) and the sonic impact of those baies witch is the most important ....

And most of the time if the dev keem in to mutch then they will have comments like "biased infos , marketing answer , ect ..."
No, it's not important at all. It's just an observation... along with my observations after demoing the plug-ins.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Dotl ...i'm talking real tests man , not conjectures ....the first thing i did when the comps were out is heavy testing ....as those comps are not in my arsenal today , you can make your conclusion (vintage comps NI) ...

Second thing : Softube have made a framework /their own apps for designing there algorythm...witch mean that you will have , i think always the same "Core" (graphic engine ect ...) and then varaiables changes + varaiables added ...

Third : a myth around softube ? have you tried their plugins ? AT LEAST AS GOOD AS UAD right ? trident , fet ect ....and maintenance ? plugins are basically rock solid from day one and you have all format available since it could be possible (64bits and axx , they were one the first to do it ) and all those facts tells a lot imho about how serious about their bizness they are .....

...and there's nothing you said here that I don't agree with. Softube is my fav audio plug-in company...after Slate Digital and Cytomic
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Another random post:

Well, I would think that they both have different parameters right? So if you set them up to sound the same then they will be similar. I think (correct me if I am wrong) the HW versions are designed to be very clean and natural sounding. When those kinds of people talk about colour they are talking subtleties usually right? So I would expect many high end HW compressors to sound roughly the same when set up in certain ways. (depending on material and set up)

Just my thoughts. I never felt compelled to buy the CL1B by the way, love the Vari-Mu here though.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➡️
The CL1-B is an opto. This feels like a vari-mu, with the ratio changing smoothly with the knee and degree of compression. Check out the limiter mode. The CL1-B and this thing seem wholly unrelated, other than they both reduce dynamic range.

- c
That's the thing to me... this compressor doesn't feel like a vari-mu at all to me. It seems like a digital compressor made to somewhat act like a vari-mu. Abbey Road RS124, Softube TLA-100A, Waves Puigchild, on the other hand, do feel like vari-mu compression... with at least a little character in each. This one seems to me to have no character. But, like I said previously... maybe that's what the hardware they insinuate it's based on actually sounds like. I've never tried it.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
lol ....i should not post and play COH at the same time .....gonna go have fun and get back ...maybe a quik TLA 100 vidoes after that
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Slash ➡️
Sorry but you're totally wrong.

When the vintage compressors were released I did testings and the FET did not sound the same as the VC 76. I also contacted Softube, and they told me they the indeed modeled a new unit.
Well, we're in a pickle then. Because I contacted Softube at the time as well and they explained to me that it was exactly the same plugin but the Softube version was slightly better inasmuch as it had a wet/dry knob. So....?

Look, I'm not saying there was no work or no tweaks done to any of these plugs (although it sure looks that way with at least one of the EQs). It just would be nice if Softube & NI didn't leave us playing this type of guessing game. Could they clear this up for us please? It's mostly the opacity of this type of rebranded release that I find annoying.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
i tested and checked the transient response and they clearly don't have the same detection , the FET is faster than the vc76 even when lookakead is not angaged ...understand here resulting in a faster attack on transients ....

i tested also the ssl (not the subject here and not made by softube) and its miles away from real ssl or even my duende or waves
Which SSL did you test?
📝 Reply