Quantcast
Native Instruments Premium Tube Series - Page 20 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Native Instruments Premium Tube Series
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Jay why do i never got voucher from NI ?
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lights ➡️
...Is this a thread about the new NI+Softube plugins?
It is, apologies
carry on
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Leo i use to do the same with the duende cs ...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️
Leo i use to do the same with the duende cs ...
I've used them but don't own them. Always thought they sounded better than the Waves version. I can't imagine getting anything less than great results with them
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lights ➡️
...Is this a thread about the new NI+Softube plugins?
And how they rate in today market.

Sent from my PC36100
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by krheatman ➡️
Full song .wavs Just a quick run thru but enough to hear the difference.The original is the whole song so skip near the end to hear the part about 3:00.

Originalhttps://dl.dropbox.com/u/3786838/MP%20Test/Orgnl.wav

UADhttps://dl.dropbox.com/u/3786838/MP%20Test/UAD.wav

NIhttps://dl.dropbox.com/u/3786838/MP%20Test/NI.wav
Can you tell me more about this song, the artist etc. Thanks
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️
Jay why do i never got voucher from NI ?
You gotta buy some cards 1st lol.

Make sure they have the right email.

I'm sure the fact that I demoed the massive passive and the 1176 bundle is the reason they sent the other $25 voucher.

I only have till Sept 30 to use the $50 voucher.

The voice of god is on sale for $119,but I'm good with my bass vibe.

Between the NI enhance eq and passive eq,I feel my eq needs are met.I really like that dark dense smooth sound!

Sent from my PC36100
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Dont understand how you guys compare it to HDX.

I would like to see any UAD card simultaneously record 90 channels with 4 plugins on every channel, when 235 channels are in playback, at the same time synk some big screen movie, and have like 28 outboards connected to them, oh, and without latency.

It's more than the plugins that we use HDX systems. In most cases it's the people who have never tried a HD rig that's complaining. I would never buy a dongle for 4000$. I've mixed nr1 songs over here with ProTools EQ and compressor. Last year I mixed a big selling jazz live DVD with Logic Pros built in eq, compressor and Space Designer. Just to prove a point.

And this thread was about NI new plugs right?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standstraight ➡️
Yep!
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Last year I mixed a big selling jazz live DVD with Logic Pros built in eq, compressor and Space Designer. Just to prove a point.

I used to mix with logic Plugins all the time,then I added my first uad Plugins in 2002.

I never really used the NI solid state Plugins.

But I can say I've officially added the NI tube bundle to my everyday task.

I'll still use logic Plugins when I need to save CPU usage on dual core since I don't have dsp for my imac.

I could never need more than 16 inputs at a time,most of a the time I only need 1 or 2.

I spent more on kontakt and komplete than I did on uad Plugins.

No big deal.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
By the way, has anyone been comparing NI Massive to the RND Portico EQ?
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYINGJAY ➡️
You gotta buy some cards 1st lol.

Make sure they have the right email.

I'm sure the fact that I demoed the massive passive and the 1176 bundle is the reason they sent the other $25 voucher.

I only have till Sept 30 to use the $50 voucher.

The voice of god is on sale for $119,but I'm good with my bass vibe.

Between the NI enhance eq and passive eq,I feel my eq needs are met.I really like that dark dense smooth sound!

Sent from my PC36100
well i bought all the maschine expansions ( 3 last week) , own kore , komplete 7 , razor , maschine
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Dont understand how you guys compare it to HDX.

I would like to see any UAD card simultaneously record 90 channels with 4 plugins on every channel, when 235 channels are in playback, at the same time synk some big screen movie, and have like 28 outboards connected to them, oh, and without latency.

It's more than the plugins that we use HDX systems. In most cases it's the people who have never tried a HD rig that's complaining. I would never buy a dongle for 4000$. I've mixed nr1 songs over here with ProTools EQ and compressor. Last year I mixed a big selling jazz live DVD with Logic Pros built in eq, compressor and Space Designer. Just to prove a point.

Yep it's a NI thread , but you know me

In course (SAE) i explain to the student how to choose , tweak , optimise a system for audio , and the first step is to check the dpc latency of it , i show them the mesurements and explain ...

Then i wait until a cat askes : " is this soft exist for osx ?"

My answer is no , but we don't need it , then i show tests made in osx and same (with excalty same harware , software) in windob ....to show that the dpc latency in osx is not that good and how windows is more optimised for auio than osx (while osx build in audio driver are far better than windows one !)

This conduct us to the next question i wait from student (and the subject of my quote/post) : " why all studios work so in osx with PT"

And the answer is that they use HD !!! they skip the need of onboard cpu response (DPC latency is the time an app wait until it's got access to calcualtion by cpu , osx makes you wait a little unitil it finish osx bom bam crap)....same for HDX , this dsp thing is not mainly for power , but to waranty a real time calculation , no matter how wak is the os !!

Back to NI !!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by devastat ➡️
Why on earth should these EQ's be compared?

And once again...

On the last few pages I rarely read comments about the NI plugins - possibly "in use" (and even if so, it's often irrelevant comparisons, plots and unnecessary wanna-be tech-talk).

Very often Gearslutz reminds me of kids collecting their pokemon cards (plugins) and tech-talking and showing of what the have (my UAD dick is bigger than your native plugin for half the price), instead of "playing the game (making music/mixing) they're made for".
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot ➡️
Why not?Maybe he wants to know how they compare.

Is this your thread or are you a moderator wanting everyone to stay on track?If not read something else if it bothers you.No sense in getting your panties in a wad.

Sent from my PC36100
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

Is this your thread or are you a moderator wanting everyone to stay on track?If not read something else if it bothers you.No sense in getting your panties in a wad.

Sent from my PC36100
Did you see my question?
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
All I can say is I just had the portico on trial, the passive EQ doesn't strike me as being the same but maybe if you set them up the right way they'd be similar, I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
[responding to Dr Audiobot] Yes. In my defense, I've tried to discourage that general line of discourse, but I think people only read derision into what I was trying to say. This is probably my fault.

Anyway, moving on; my observation re: these plugins: I am really enjoying the lush "cumulus cloud" feel of the compressor when it is in limiter mode

I am simply stunned at the level of quasi-analog grace that software has reached in 2012, but I still love true analog and always will. It's just cooler, more fun in a session, and better-sounding in general. But wow, software is making AMAZING strides.

I have made plenty of mixes where my ITB rough outshines my analog final version. This has more to do with vibe and being "in the zone" when I made the rough, but still it is instructive.

"In the zone" still trumps everything, gear included.

I haven't been that curious about the EQ's because (as previously stated) I don't want to get into an ugly/sad hoarding mode.

- c
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav ➡️
Did you see my question?
Yes.
He has a great voice doesn't He.
It is a guy from Houston I know who just graduated from college and is a great singer songwriter.
Unfortunately he is also a great Photographer/Videographer/Graphic Artist and that is what he is also pursuing.
He has a great Rock voice,but that doesn't always pay the bills,now does it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Like DrAudioBot said, they're very different. The Portico is a 5 band with 2 shelves and 3 parametrics based on a solid state design. The NI is modeled after an all tube unit and is a 4 band with hi/low pass filters but all 4 can be parametric OR shelves. The shelves on the NI also (depending on where the bandwidth knob is set) do the Pultec simultaneous push/pull at the same frequency trick with just 1 band. Personally I feel that neither is meant for surgical work (although the Portico does this better) and they both come bundled with compressors, both of which sound excellent but not like each other in any way. Quality wise, they're great tools that complement each other very well but neither the compressors or the eq share any traits that would have me replacing one with the other in a mix unless I was looking for a completely different sound. They definitely play well together though.
Hope this helps
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sent from my PC36100
And why should a clean tracking and all-rounder EQ be compared to a colored, tube designed EQ? Because they both have bands? Because they're equalizers?

Shall we compare a super fast 1176 and the Vari Mu next? Why not?!
I think FLYINGJAY even set up a blind test for this already few pages ago...ha ha ha!

Thanks Silver Sonya for the answer and getting back to topic.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie ➡️
Like DrAudioBot said, they're very different. The Portico is a 5 band with 2 shelves and 3 parametrics based on a solid state design. The NI is modeled after an all tube unit and is a 4 band with hi/low pass filters but all 4 can be parametric OR shelves. The shelves on the NI also (depending on where the bandwidth knob is set) do the Pultec simultaneous push/pull at the same frequency trick with just 1 band. Personally I feel that neither is meant for surgical work (although the Portico does this better) and they both come bundled with compressors, both of which sound excellent but not like each other in any way. Quality wise, they're great tools that complement each other very well but neither the compressors or the eq share any traits that would have me replacing one with the other in a mix unless I was looking for a completely different sound. They definitely play well together though.
Hope this helps
There,that wasn't so hard.He asked how they compared and you told him.And now he knows they are nothing alike without being rude and him.

And this was a little harsh as well-"irrelevant comparisons, plots and unnecessary wanna-be tech-talk."
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

On the last few pages I rarely read comments about the NI plugins - possibly "in use"

That's because you didn't write anything!

Feel free to not do the same thing your complaining about.

Now explain how your post have anything to do with the Plugins 'in use'?

Sent from my PC36100
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
And why should a clean tracking and all-rounder EQ be compared to a colored, tube designed EQ? Because they both have bands? Because they're equalizers?
You've a valid point, and this thread has been derailed more than a couple of times (again, apologies for my part in this). I think that it could be as simple as not having actual experience/understanding of how the different units are designed or what they're meant to sound like. I could be wrong but I think devastat might be somewhat new to this and I remember asking a bunch of similar questions when I first got started. For the most part I got lucky and the people I asked were patient and took the time but I did get more than my share of "Are u stupid ?" looks. I've gotten a lot out of this community and learned from mix techniques to how to tune my room by asking questions, it can't hurt to answer a few
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Shall we compare a super fast 1176 and the Vari Mu next? Why not?!
I think FLYINGJAY even set up a blind test for this already few pages ago...ha ha ha!

The glue is also fast and plenty use it on the 2 buss.

You guys talk very little and do even less,this is a forum.

Not mind readers dialog.
Sent from my PC36100
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yes.
He has a great voice doesn't He.
It is a guy from Houston I know who just graduated from college and is a great singer songwriter.
Unfortunately he is also a great Photographer/Videographer/Graphic Artist and that is what he is also pursuing.
He has a great Rock voice,but that doesn't always pay the bills,now does it.
Well that song is really nice. Did it get released?
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
There,that wasn't so hard.He asked how they compared and you told him.And now he knows they are nothing alike without being rude and him.

And this was a little harsh as well-"irrelevant comparisons, plots and unnecessary wanna-be tech-talk."
+1
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yes, I am fully aware that RND Portico is modelled after 5033 and not Massive Passive, however I was just very interested to hear some thoughts from users who are using both of these EQ's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie ➡️
Quality wise, they're great tools that complement each other very well but neither the compressors or the eq share any traits that would have me replacing one with the other in a mix unless I was looking for a completely different sound. They definitely play well together though.
Thanks for the thorough explanation!

Quote:
Yes, exactly. Because they are both equalizers.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav ➡️
Well that song is really nice. Did it get released?
All his stuff needs to be mastered.Then it will.I am trying to get him to send me stems,which I feel would benefit them,but he has been really busy.

Sent from my PC36100
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Thanks for the thorough explanation!

📝 Reply