Native Instruments Premium Tube Series
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhager84 ➡️
Softube*

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
yep my bad , they're of course on the list ...

Be sure that NI has also DSP engineers
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by krheatman ➡️
One question.If it does take this much more CPU to emulate the behaviors correctly.Imagine what kind of interface it would take,and it's cost, to model all the hardware done thus far this way.I can see why they are not emulating all that tube gear yet.And this tells me why I like the UAD better.It only makes me feel like the quad isn't big enough,I need an octo!

From UAD-
The Manley Massive Passive EQ Powered Plug-In represents UA’s most complex hardware emulation to date. It is also the most CPU-intensive plug-in in the UA library, and for good reason: The behavior of the transformers and inductors, called hysteresis, was modeled, as well as the tube stage behavior.

Uad 1176 Classic limiter Sound samples

1176 Classic Limiter Plug-In Collection - YouTube

Guitar -*Distortion and no Compression by Universal Audio on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
I'd really love to mix without my I5 choking up since I used a lot of synths. Bouncing down works, but is also problematic sometimes. I've thought for a while about UAD or Powercore, though not so much now as they are discontinued. Do any of their compressors do side-chain?
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Aiyn , i'm about to make a long video treating about how to conducte a project and the good methodology ...

and my friend ,on the mixing stage , the production is validated already so you have only audio tracks , no vst'is !! SAFE , CLEAN , STABLE and easy on cpu ...., ....but an i7 is alwayz better ..lol
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️
Aiyn , i'm about to make a long video treating about how to conducte a project and the good methodology ...

and my friend ,on the mixing stage , the production is validated already so you have only audio tracks , no vst'is !! SAFE , CLEAN , STABLE and easy on cpu ...., ....but an i7 is alwayz better ..lol
It would be a dream for me to bounce all my tracks and mix them as audio. On a 64gb hard drive, it's not going to happen It's SSD and it was all I could afford at the time.

I know, the first thing I need to do is get another HD.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav ➡️
I'd really love to mix without my I5 choking up since I used a lot of synths. Bouncing down works, but is also problematic sometimes. I've thought for a while about UAD or Powercore, though not so much now as they are discontinued. Do any of their compressors do side-chain?
UAD Thunderbolt card to a Thunderbolt 1RU interface with 16 Sharc's maybe?With all the plugins probably about $10k to $12k.

That would make all you UAD haters just want to puke!

But think of the algorithms you could produce with that much DSP.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I've thought for a while about UAD or Powercore, though not so much now as they are discontinued. Do any of their compressors do side-chain?
People have been asking Universal Audio for that exact feature for ages but sadly they don't
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Geek ➡️
The UAD makes you double your latency just by running a plug-in.

You only get 4 instances of a comparable plug-in extra with UAD with extra latency where upping your buffer will give you probably 4x that much native. The cards in these days are not helping one drop DSP wise when you look at it right. Its a good plug-in manufacturer that is using and expensive dongle at this point.
Simply not true!

With uad I never have to double my latency,latency only increase when I use certain Plugins on the 2 buss.

Which is more like mastering anyway,considering the Plugins I put on the 2 buss.

Head on over to VTM forum and read all about the you spikes people are having or even in this thread!
Guys with i7's are reporting 20% CPU,for just one Varicomp.

Funny thing is I can use all of my uad compressors on my 2buss,plus mix with them all.

In all my examples I simply added a uad massive passive to can existing session.

Long story short my i5 and uad2 system is more powerful than the i7 systems in this thread.

One reason is my i5 is getting a 1-2% hit from the varicomp,compared to i7 reports of 10-20% hits.

Plus I personally have not out match the top uad Plugins yet,and the fact that the NI bundle is a great set of Plugins,uad is still king in my book.

The 1176 bundle edged out the varicomp,but uad mp also edged out the passive and that's not only my opinion.though I love love love the NI bundle!

I will not he selling my uad platform AT ALL.just saying man.

BTW guys gas anyone disable hyperthreading on their i7 to see if the cores are stronger for at least Varicomp?

Remember HT is merely splitting cores.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There's some UAD plugs (like the Ampex) that have a lot of latency and therefore are unsuitable for tracking but I record live drums with the Studer on the input busses and I've never had a problem.
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYINGJAY ➡️
Simply not true!

The 1176 bundle edged out the varicomp,

Sent from my PC36100
Aren't they completely different designs though? Are you just saying you like one more than the other?

Anyway, I listened to that 1176 bundle video on youtube. They are really good sounding, the distortion in particular is excellent.

UAD would be a serious consideration for me in the future if I could afford it.

Anyone that would like to chime in who has a manly vari-mu? Is it certain that is what NI is emulating?
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Aren't they completely different designs though? Are you just saying you like one more than the other?

Anyway, I listened to that 1176 bundle video on youtube. They are really good sounding, the distortion in particular is excellent.

Anyone that would like to chime in who has a manly vari-mu? Is it certain that is what NI is emulating?
I owned one of the newer ones and was very underwhelmed compared to my Thermionic Phoenix.The older units had different tubes.This plugin is dark,but great in the way it responds to level also.The UAD 1176 is great also,nice to have both.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie ➡️
There's some UAD plugs (like the Ampex) that have a lot of latency and therefore are unsuitable for tracking but I record live drums with the Studer on the input busses and I've never had a problem.
I use the ampex in vocals and master buss,cubase handles this very well.I only get latency when inserted on the master buss.

So no delay compensation per track like logic or protools,I own all 3.

Plus native create latency as well,a lot of waves Plugins cause latency on the 2 buss.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

I posted some test files with the 1176 as one.it sounded the best.

Yes they are different,in that case,there is no better 1176 plugin on the market.

Or massive passive or ampex,plus so many more on the uad platform.they rock!

Sent from my PC36100
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
UAD Thunderbolt card to a Thunderbolt 1RU interface with 16 Sharc's maybe?With all the plugins probably about $10k to $12k.

That would make all you UAD haters just want to puke!

But think of the algorithms you could produce with that much DSP.
Are you not familiar with uad omni?

It's there entire collection for a little over $4k quad core card included.

I bought my 1st uad2 card,got a $300 reverb free of charge and a $50 voucher.price of card after that $50.

Got my second uad2 card $200 off by trading in one of my uad1 cards,plus a $50 voucher.

Price of card $150,but wait...

Uad just send me a $50 coupon,then 2 weeks later,uad sent me a valued customer voucher for $25.

And yes they can be both be used together.

New price of card $75.

1176 bundle for former 1176 owners $150.

Now guess where the $75 in vouchers are getting used on?

Now somebody tell me where can a end user get 1176 and this quality for $75 bucks?try nomad factory,same quality no.

2 years ago waves mercury was $8999.

2 years ago uad omni(with quad card) $4399.

I own over 80% of uad Plugins,I'm only spreading truth.there was no need to state false things about any platform.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Are you not familiar with uad omni?

It's there entire collection for a little over $4k quad core card included.

I bought my 1st uad2 card,got a $300 reverb free of charge and a $50 voucher.price of card after that $50.

Got my second uad2 card $200 off by trading in one of my uad1 cards,plus a $50 voucher.

Price of card $150,but wait...

Uad just send me a $50 coupon,then 2 weeks later,uad sent me a valued customer voucher for $25.

And yes they can be both be used together.

New price of card $75.

1176 bundle for former 1176 owners $150.

Now guess where the $75 in vouchers are getting used on?

Now somebody tell me where can a end user get 1176 and this quality for $75 bucks?try nomad factory,same quality no.

2 years ago waves mercury was $8999.

2 years ago uad omni(with quad card) $4399.

I own over 80% of uad Plugins,I'm only spreading truth.there was no need to state false things about any platform.

Sent from my PC36100
You missed my point.A quad card wouldn't cut it,not even 2,if all the plugins were modeled like the MP.
1 stereo instance uses a whole sharc chip.4 uses a whole quad.

We need a couple octos and more emulations like the MP.

Sent from my PC36100
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It would be a dream for me to bounce all my tracks and mix them as audio. On a 64gb hard drive, it's not going to happen It's SSD and it was all I could afford at the time.

I know, the first thing I need to do is get another HD.
yep that's why you have to have a SSD for OS and another Drive for Data !!

here i have a 160gb sdd and a 1Tb WD for data on my lappy !!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

About 12 years ago I got rid of mine because I didn't understand it. I was expecting it to do something it wasn't designed for (smacking drums ect). About 2 years ago I tried it again and I'm STILL kicking myself for selling it. The NI version reminds me a lot of it. It doesn't quite capture the size of the Manley but it gets close. The time constants sound spot on but (unlike with the MP) I'm going on memory so I can't be positive. The updated 1176 bundle from UA is amazing and IMO IS spot on (at least the blackface, it's the only one I've used recently).
I'm still amazed by people who claim that the UAD stuff is not as good as it is and in the same sentence say they've never made a direct comparison. Don't get me wrong, there's a few there that I've been underwhelmed with (1081 for example) so they're not infallible. I heard a sample comparison between the real Helios and the UAD version and it was no contest. That said when I compared it to the WAVES version the UAD was the easy winner and I like it a lot, it's just not s good as a real Helios. I think that what they are doing NOW is a whole other level in terms of matching the hardware they're emulating. I'm sure that working directly with the people a Empirical Labs and Manley and very soon API, (I'm literally foaming at the mouth for this to happen already), getting their feedback and making sure THEY were pleased with the product didn't hurt either. OK rant over and my apologies for getting so OT. For the record, I'm getting this bundle as soon as I'm able, great value but then Softube is one of those companies that have their **** VERY together
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
You missed my point.A quad card wouldn't cut it,not even 2,if all the plugins were modeled like the MP.

Sent from my PC36100
Agreed, octos would be much better. I currently only have a single Quad so I have to be careful with how I use it's resources however, I have a project coming up that will allow me to get the Quad OMNI and then I'll be a very happy camper (until they make the next plug that'll eat a whole QUAD for one instance )
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Guyz can we stay focused ...Jay knows already all those facts ....and like he said , today would maybe have been another choice ....

UAD makes great plugins , DSP solution is excellent , UAD bizness plan also(lol) , the only thing when you start uad is that you have to constantly upgrade to benefit from new goodies ....due to cpu usage ....--

i had to face this excact same dilemna in last fev : Appolo or mercury , and the equation was very simple :

Apolo : excellent soundcard , quad dsp , good plugin , but initial bundle was a joke ....then i asked about windows drivers ....after they told me " this summer" , i remebered that they said the same for satellite ...so i lol (and still loling)

Waves : 1800 euros , mercury (i already own a very good soundcard) , easy on cpu , working like a charm and i have tools that really uad miss ( noise reduction suite , stereo imaging ,metering , good all in one processings (signature series) and for only 200 euros you're up to date with all their new plugins ...

BUT this was a an instant T ,maybe before or after , the equation would have been another ..until now still the good decision !!
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Dasoundjunkie brings a positive info : quad (if only one) forces you to think twice before staking plugins !!! lol
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Sent from my PC36100
But all the Plugins are not modeled like the mp.

What are you talking about?

Ask the i7 guys how many passive eq's they can run?natively?

There are native Plugins that bring down i7's,what is your point?

I can run a few non mastering mp's with my 2 solo cards.

How many mp's could anyone need for mastering?

I can only run one mastering mp ,that don't mean I can't run a few compressors.

If a mp takes 60%,that 40% left.but it you'll have one of the best ITB eq's,why cry about it?

What if I use my $75 voucher and get the massive passive for $225?

I got 2 uad2 cards for less than $200,that's $425 for one of the best digital eq's in the world.

Bro that's nothing for a working engineer.

One more thing bro,when I got my free EMT 250(and its a beast),I had the option to get a free massive passive if I purchased another $400 solo card.

Keep in mind the $50 voucher that come with the card and the other $25 voucher they send after every registered card.

From those numbers its only $25 that actually went to the dsp card.

Maybe you didn't know but now you know.

I'm just hearing crying and complaining,but most is untrue.

My cards ain't going nowhere.

And hopefully,is will give away a big plugin with the purchase of another card again,because my money is in the bank.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Agreed, octos would be much better. I currently only have a single Quad so I have to be careful with how I use it's resources however, I have a project coming up that will allow me to get the Quad OMNI and then I'll be a very happy camper (until they make the next plug that'll eat a whole QUAD for one instance )
That is my exact point between your 2 posts.Plugins can only have a given footprint and still be marketable.The original UAD emulations could only take up so much room,so they may have the functionality but not the color.And you couldn't have 20 plugins emulated like the MP,native or otherwise,and run them with multiple instances.They probably already have a satellite type interface coming out with Thunderbolt in the works,it is the only route since the MP is a new breed.Imagine an La2a that had better tube emulation,or a Fairchild for that matter.Eventually the hardware would disappear.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Dasoundjunkie brings a positive info : quad (if only one) forces you to think twice before staking plugins !!! lol
No he's not,I run full production with 2 solo cards.

I never have an issue.

I can run like 80 la2a's.

But that's why I'm half native,I don't want people believing that...

1. you need quads.

2.you must use dsp on every channel.

I still use stock Plugins.it depends on the task at hand.

I used to group my lead vocals to one group buss.then I'd group my backup vocals to a second buss.processing them all inline.

With my second uad card,I no longer have to do that.

Let not forget the fact that I knew I didn't need a i7,so my i5 savings(over $100),should account for something.

Hey I'm talking real talk,not speculations.the cards are almost free,real talk.

You just have to wait for the right time to jump.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Guyz can we stay focused ...Jay knows already all those facts ....and like he said , today would maybe have been another choice ....

UAD makes great plugins , DSP solution is excellent , UAD bizness plan also(lol) , the only thing when you start uad is that you have to constantly upgrade to benefit from new goodies ....due to cpu usage ....--

i had to face this excact same dilemna in last fev : Appolo or mercury , and the equation was very simple :

Apolo : excellent soundcard , quad dsp , good plugin , but initial bundle was a joke ....then i asked about windows drivers ....after they told me " this summer" , i remebered that they said the same for satellite ...so i lol (and still loling)

Waves : 1800 euros , mercury (i already own a very good soundcard) , easy on cpu , working like a charm and i have tools that really uad miss ( noise reduction suite , stereo imaging ,metering , good all in one processings (signature series) and for only 200 euros you're up to date with all their new plugins ...

BUT this was a an instant T ,maybe before or after , the equation would have been another ..until now still the good decision !!
Great English this time bro!

How much is the uad omni pack in euros?

Sent from my PC36100
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Waves : 1800 euros , mercury
Jeezo from the Waves webpage I get a different value. A very steep one too...

"Mercury Native - MSRP $6300
Click here for product information $6300"
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
No he's not,I run full production with 2 solo cards.

I never have an issue.

I can run like 80 la2a's.

But that's why I'm half native,I don't want people believing that...

1. you need quads.

2.you must use dsp on every channel.

I still use stock Plugins.it depends on the task at hand.

I used to group my lead vocals to one group buss.then I'd group my backup vocals to a second buss.processing them all inline.

With my second uad card,I no longer have to do that.

Let not forget the fact that I knew I didn't need a i7,so my i5 savings(over $100),should account for something.

Hey I'm talking real talk,not speculations.the cards are almost free,real talk.

You just have to wait for the right time to jump.

Sent from my PC36100
I was referring to the new generation plugs that are a lot heavier on the card. I use a lot of instances of the Studer, new 1176, FATSO, Ampex and usually just one instance of the mastering MP. BTW you're right, it's not strictly speaking necessary to own a Quad but if you want to use the processors I'm using then it kinda becomes more of an issue.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Yea phas3d,I just checked sweetwater.com

Waves mercury $6300.

Uad omni with quad card and $100 voucher $3999.

I got the NI bundle for $169 after voucher hehe!
Sent from my PC36100
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I was referring to the new generation plugs that are a lot heavier on the card. I use a lot of instances of the Studer, new 1176, FATSO, Ampex and usually just one instance of the mastering MP. BTW you're right, it's not strictly speaking necessary to own a Quad but if you want to use the processors I'm using then it kinda becomes more of an issue.
Yea bro I got the 'some Plugins have been disabled' when there us no more dsp.mostly when I had one card.

But I like making smart choices,less is more sometimes.meaning being creative when mixing is a must for me.

It keep it from getting boring actually.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
i got it when it was 50% off guyz .....i'm a geek but not an a.....ss lol ...it was 2279 $ at waves universe !!

Jay you got me wrong , when i said Dasounjunkie said some good ...i was refering to the fact that by thinking twice before staking a plugin (because of dsp power) you huyz are doing waht everybody should do !!

" do i really need this plugin to be inserted !!" ..that was my point , so in fact a good for a bad (dsp limits)

Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

7 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
...Is this a thread about the new NI+Softube plugins?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yea bro I got the 'some Plugins have been disabled' when there us no more dsp.mostly when I had one card.

But I like making smart choices,less is more sometimes.meaning being creative when mixing is a must for me.

It keep it from getting boring actually.

Sent from my PC36100
I hear you. Like you I also use a bunch of native stuff (Portico, SkNote, Sonimus, PSP, a bunch of free stuff and very, very soon these guys) to balance things out. Today I did something different precisely to not get bored. I did a mix using the 88rs as my main processor on everything in the mix. Worked out better than expected and it shocked me just how many of these I can use in a session. I use this guy a lot but never on everything so it was a cool surprise
📝 Reply