Quantcast
Native Instruments Premium Tube Series - Page 18 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Native Instruments Premium Tube Series
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
here's a quick look at the response of the passive eq in smaart....just turnin' knobs!
Quick Smaart run of NI (softube) Passive eq - YouTube
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigichelli ➡️
here's a quick look at the response of the passive eq in smaart....just turnin' knobs!
Wow! That was pretty interesting. Do most EQs have a 30 degree phase shift from the rest of the frequencies at around 9k just by being on?
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
"NI eats 20% of an i7" - UAD massive passive eats 20% of a quad card. Sounds like parity to me.

Interestingly on my 2009 mac pro 8core 2.26Ghz, I can run 120 Brainworx EQs on my 3x UAD quads at 88.2khz but only 40 native (plugin alliance) on the CPU before the machine falls over. This is at 512 buffer in Pro Tools. Same algorithm. I'll take DSP for stability any day! The Oxford EQ however is not as efficient on UAD as I expected, so perhaps Sonnox haven't got the hang of
Optimising for SHARC.. Yet..

People seem to grumble about the potency of DSP on UADS. I love them, and there is a potent amount of power in a quad. It would be great if the cost of adding cards came down though as the software cost should subsidise them.

I have all of my 8 mac pro cores free for non-audio purposes, so no drop outs, no reliability issues and I can mix @ 88.2 comfortably with any plugin combination I can dream up. DSP is a dream!

I have a feeling a number of grumblers have never actually plugged a UAD quad into their system to see just what a difference it makes.

Admittedly 3x quad cards is pricey but nowhere near HDX costs, and, the plugins you can run are mostly better quality than available for HDX. I do feel like when it comes to mix With the help of the 3x quad cards I have the equivalent of 4x 8core mac pros. That's a lot of i7s. Or Xeons! More importantly, I can load uad2 cards to 100% usage without dropouts, glitches or misery.

Of course if you have a tonne of cash to splash you could run UAD cards with HDX!

With Apollo and printing FX I'm not using all the available DSP even at 88.2 with stupidly intense mixes.

Anyway, as mentioned by others, this EQ sounds nice but UA is far closer to the response of the hardware. Comparing knob positions to knob positions on these two plugs is silly. If you got the sound you liked on the UAD then positioned the knobs the same on the NI, UA would win. They will both sound good but respond totally differently.

Apologies for the ramble,
As you were..
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
adding a quad is as expensisve as upagrading a whole comp with new top off the line componenets and all softwrae will benefits for it ...uad is a nonsens now unless you're using old plugins witch can be staked crazy on a quad , but some like fatso and manley is just riculous ...
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stakeoutstudios ➡️
"NI eats 20% of an i7" - UAD massive passive eats 20% of a quad card.

DSP is a dream!

The passive and Vari only hit my i5 quad @ 2% CPU load(no hyperthreading.

But uad dsp?yes its still alive and kicking.uad still may give 3-5% improvement over native most.

Native= more instances,cheaper prices,close to uad quality.that imho.

I think uad still has a minute lead,the masters just sound more solid.

The NI bundle is just as good,almost as good rather.

I own the NI bundle,but this new uad 1176 and massive passive,really make me say wow!

NI has some excellent character,giving this dark sheen over my mixes that I love also.

As usual,I want both!

Sent from my PC36100
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
@FLYINGJAY
I'm getting more bright characteristics than dark! I guess it depends on the sound.

This passive EQ is my favorite EQ that I've ever used... I like it so much more than the Waves API 550 series, which has been my main/fave for a while.
I can't decide what to keep on my drum bus right now: Waves SSL Master Comp, or this Vari Comp... The Vari Comp seems to not compress as hard, and is easier to drive than the SSL.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mark ➡️
@FLYINGJAY
I'm getting more bright characteristics than dark! I guess it depends on the sound.

This passive EQ is my favorite EQ that I've ever used... I like it so much more than the Waves API 550 series, which has been my main/fave for a while.
I can't decide what to keep on my drum bus right now: Waves SSL Master Comp, or this Vari Comp... The Vari Comp seems to not compress as hard, and is easier to drive than the SSL.
I love the NI passive too.

The Vari has a kick and snare detection,did you jeezo video?

I'll look at the SSL and see what I get.but I tried the waves pie and was puigchild,I couldnt post those.

The NI and uad compressors blew most waves compressors away.

The glue is nice as well,its in the same league as top notch.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Well the varicomp is really safe and i will encourage guyz to use it on master bus, set it and mixe in it ....for the ssl , i will put the Duende ssl bus comp (instead of the waves) , for me the safest around , my goto ....also don't underhestimate the api 2500 and the summit tla 100 that have a mix wet and the same detector as the NI but you can choose the freq it wil compress above !!! (will make a video on soon)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for the video!

Is there any cheap/free analysis software like this? Best I can do is use a noise generator and Voxengo SPAN, but it's not as nice as Smaart.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie ➡️
Had a rough day but this comment made me crack up, thanx
heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

NI eats 20% of an i7" - UAD massive passive eats 20% of a quad card. Sounds like parity to me.
Ni eats 1.5 -2 % of a modern CPU
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It obviously depends on the DAW. In Pro Tools HD 10 they use much more, but looks like in Cubase they are far better optimized.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
here (quad core)
pasive 2%
vari mu 20%
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYINGJAY ➡️
ok heres the the varicomp up agaisnt the uad revised 1176 ae waves api 2500 and uad fairchild.
At last no stupid blind stuff. Just call it by name.

I like the 1176 very much.
bitewounds
Quote:
This is fairly fascinating to watch!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodeath ➡️
Thanks for the video!

Is there any cheap/free analysis software like this? Best I can do is use a noise generator and Voxengo SPAN, but it's not as nice as Smaart.
to check the phase too you have to do a transfer function measurement, i don't know any other software besides smaart, systune, sim... (all paid)

did you guys notice how strange the behavior of the boost/cut knobs is? it barely works at the beginning and then kicks in fast...

EDIT: found that for offline measurement "Fuzzmeasure" is great, can display phase, THD, waterfall (O_O")!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodeath ➡️
Thanks for the video!

Yes, there is a free one from Christian Budde

Christian's Blog

Download Vstplugin analyser.
It has a lot of different analysis types, plus it can show the harmonic series from saturation too. Nice tool.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
"NI eats 20% of an i7" - UAD massive passive eats 20% of a quad card. Sounds like parity to me.

Interestingly on my 2009 mac pro 8core 2.26Ghz, I can run 120 Brainworx EQs on my 3x UAD quads at 88.2khz but only 40 native (plugin alliance) on the CPU before the machine falls over. This is at 512 buffer in Pro Tools. Same algorithm. I'll take DSP for stability any day! The Oxford EQ however is not as efficient on UAD as I expected, so perhaps Sonnox haven't got the hang of
Optimising for SHARC.. Yet..

People seem to grumble about the potency of DSP on UADS. I love them, and there is a potent amount of power in a quad. It would be great if the cost of adding cards came down though as the software cost should subsidise them.

I have all of my 8 mac pro cores free for non-audio purposes, so no drop outs, no reliability issues and I can mix @ 88.2 comfortably with any plugin combination I can dream up. DSP is a dream!

I have a feeling a number of grumblers have never actually plugged a UAD quad into their system to see just what a difference it makes.

Admittedly 3x quad cards is pricey but nowhere near HDX costs, and, the plugins you can run are mostly better quality than available for HDX. I do feel like when it comes to mix With the help of the 3x quad cards I have the equivalent of 4x 8core mac pros. That's a lot of i7s. Or Xeons! More importantly, I can load uad2 cards to 100% usage without dropouts, glitches or misery.

Of course if you have a tonne of cash to splash you could run UAD cards with HDX!

With Apollo and printing FX I'm not using all the available DSP even at 88.2 with stupidly intense mixes.

Anyway, as mentioned by others, this EQ sounds nice but UA is far closer to the response of the hardware. Comparing knob positions to knob positions on these two plugs is silly. If you got the sound you liked on the UAD then positioned the knobs the same on the NI, UA would win. They will both sound good but respond totally differently.

Apologies for the ramble,
As you were..
What a nonsense. I made a test and was able to run way way more SPL Vitalizers than those overpriced dongle cards. Mind you, with a single outdated I7 930.

Futhermore, you can buy a 12 Core Intel PC for the price of ONE crap card.
For the price of 3 crap cards you can build a super powerful 16 Core server with 2 high end Xeons. My workstation currently only uses one mainstream 3930k at 4.2 ghz and smokes your crap cards.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
to check the phase too you have to do a transfer function measurement, i don't know any other software besides smaart, systune, sim... (all paid)

did you guys notice how strange the behavior of the boost/cut knobs is? it barely works at the beginning and then kicks in fast...

EDIT: found that for offline measurement "Fuzzmeasure" is great, can display phase, THD, waterfall (O_O")!
Thanks for the info. Yes, looks like you have to get up to about 5 on the knob to get 1dB difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvoltage ➡️
Yes, there is a free one from Christian Budde

Christian's Blog

Download Vstplugin analyser.
It has a lot of different analysis types, plus it can show the harmonic series from saturation too. Nice tool.
Thanks! Very cool tool and exactly what I was looking for. Looks like it's PC only, though...
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrythave ➡️
At last no stupid blind stuff. Just call it by name.

I like the 1176 very much.
The blind test was great,but yes that new 1176 is serious.

Uad just gave me $75 in vouchers,I'm grabbing the 1176 bundle!can wait to mix with them.

But the Vari and passive or stuck in my 2buss.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 20th September 2012
Deleted e1b9f94
i72600k here

VariMU 7%
PassEQ 3%

Nothing to worry about (here)..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️
We gonna post the English interview !!!

there's 2 interviews , one made in english one made in french !:!!
I see
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
lol i didn't wanted to poluate this thread !!!lol

will have to do one with dsp engineers at NI ....
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Softube*

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

Please do!

Thanks for this interview I really enjoyed it.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpod ➡️
i72600k here

VariMU 7%
PassEQ 3%

Nothing to worry about (here)..
VariMu 10%

PassEq 7%

On my core2dou 2.0. MAC 10.6.8(logic 9.7)

VariMu 1-1.5%

PassEq 1%

On my i5 2500k pc win 7(cubase 6.5

I'll load up protools(on MAC) and check CPU usage.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Protools 8 on MAC 10.6.8

VariMu 13%

PassEq 7%

Sent from my PC36100
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Well the CPU use depends on system card and buffer settings. But that is the point people ignore when saying the UAD offloads load from the CPU. The UAD makes you double your latency just by running a plug-in. So for apples to apples you have to run a comparable plug-in at the next higher buffer setting. In this case you will see that you will get way more processing power native by simply upping your buffer than what the card will give you. You only get 4 instances of a comparable plug-in extra with UAD with extra latency where upping your buffer will give you probably 4x that much native. The cards in these days are not helping one drop DSP wise when you look at it right. Its a good plug-in manufacturer that is using and expensive dongle at this point.
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
lol i didn't wanted to poluate this thread !!!lol ....
Nicely done, Jeezo.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
One question.If it does take this much more CPU to emulate the behaviors correctly.Imagine what kind of interface it would take,and it's cost, to model all the hardware done thus far this way.I can see why they are not emulating all that tube gear yet.And this tells me why I like the UAD better.It only makes me feel like the quad isn't big enough,I need an octo!

From UAD-
The Manley Massive Passive EQ Powered Plug-In represents UA’s most complex hardware emulation to date. It is also the most CPU-intensive plug-in in the UA library, and for good reason: The behavior of the transformers and inductors, called hysteresis, was modeled, as well as the tube stage behavior.

Uad 1176 Classic limiter Sound samples

1176 Classic Limiter Plug-In Collection - YouTube

Guitar -*Distortion and no Compression by Universal Audio on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
📝 Reply