The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Native Instruments Premium Tube Series
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav ➡️
Hmm pretty different. I also prefer the UAD here. It is quite a lot more open and (somehow) immediate sounding, as in closer.

If you were an ME and this was my song, I'd choose the UAD version. But there must be room to further match them just by doing it by ear. What do you think?

I really like that song by the way, I'd love it if I could get those kinds of vocals as samples, or do a remix of something like that one day.
There were things I liked about the NI in this also.And yes you could tweak it.But there is something different about how the UAD mastering version bands work.The regular version sounds closer to the NI version.
It does have a darker character to it as well as the vari comp.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d ➡️
Thanks for taking the time to test this Jeezo. What would be interesting also would be to have a graph of the hardware's actual cutoff. I'm C+curious of what it would show...
+1!

Sent from my PC36100
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by krheatman ➡️
It does have a darker character to it as well as the vari comp.

Sent from my PC36100
Digital has always been Sharp and bright.

Dark is good ITB,I just cut 3db off the 2 higher bands and it sounded wonderful.

I'm guilty of over processing for this thread,just so that the eq character can be heard.

But careful dial ups really show the strength of the eq.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Go download this guys TubeDriver plugin.Nick Crow Lab

It has these controls-
Pre EQ - High Pass, Peak, Shelf and resonant Low Pass filters.
BIAS - Determines saturation characterization.
DRIVE -Determines the amount of gain applied by the tube stage.
VOLUME - Output level. When light OVER - decrease VOLUME value.
BOOST - 12 db boost gain applied by the tube stage.
BYPASS - Switch TubeDriver in bypass mode.
MONO - Switch TubeDriver in mono mode - process Left Input, output Left and Right.
PHASE - Flip phase of output signal.
DRIFT - Determines the amount of amplifier's parameter drift.
NOISE - Noise level.
SAMPLERATE - Internal plugin SampleRate in realtime (control of oversampling).
MAX ON RENDER - SampleRate in Render (Mixdown) mode of VST host:
if OFF - SampleRate in Render (Mixdown) mode of VST host same as in realtime.
if ON - SampleRate always have a maximum value in Render (Mixdown) mode of VST host.

You will thank me later.

He also has great Guitar amp Plugins.
So I did. It's really neat! I like it.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
yep but i don't have the hardware ...lol but this might be cool .....

but in fact i don't care if it's like the hardware or not for real , same goes for other stuff ...i nevet used a fairchild but i love the plugin....that's all that count ....
Old 18th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
POTENTIAL BUG:

when i load enhanced eq and the passive eq in a vst chainer (xlutop chainer, vst host etc), and both the plugin guis are open at the same time, I can't control atleast one plugin's knobs using mousewheel. It just goes in one direction (clockwise).

CAN ANYONE ELSE CONFIRM??

WIN7 X64, 32BIT HOSTS
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
@Jeezo:

It doesn't matter if it makes sense that this filter sounds "phasey" because of the way it was implemented (or behaves). The real important factor here is it doesn't sound good, to us, and we just commented about that (at least my post was just a comment; I wasn't trying to say this is a bad EQ). I like the Passive EQ, it is really impressive how close they got it.

Forums are for comments, Jeezo To have a conversation and discuss, for this reason everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Cheers
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
IMO often people preferring the more transparent sound for mastering that's why eventually also this Passive EQ is not for everyone.
Make a master with the Passive and one with a clean EQ (eg. Brainworx bx_digital). I expect that some/many will prefer the master with the clean/transparent EQ
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Slash ➡️
Glad to know I'm not the only one that can fool myself at my own game heh.

And what does the workshop says ?

Which part to watch ? As it last almost 1 hour.
At least the first 10 minutes. I think you'll enjoy it
We are susceptible to auditory illusions, and our expectations can greatly influence our perception. Great stuff. Worth watching the whole video.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I matched the EQ values compared to the last time.Still on Master Rock for UAD and matched with NI.I included the Print Screen marked UADNI.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3750034/Orig.wav

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3750034/NI.wav

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3750034/UAD.wav

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3750034/UADNI.pdf
The UAD version sounds brighter and has more definition to me, whereas the NI one sounds a bit "dull" in comparison, but that's due to the loss of highs compared to the UAD version.

Quote:
Same comment .

By the way I compared the 2 files in Samplitude, leveling the NI version +0.4dB and the NI2 version +0.7dB because the UAD ones were slightly louder to my ears.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espiridion ➡️
At least the first 10 minutes. I think you'll enjoy it
We are susceptible to auditory illusions, and our expectations can greatly influence our perception. Great stuff. Worth watching the whole video.
Thanks, gonna watch it now .
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️
Lol , you telling me to use my ears ? the guy that tried it and posted a video on my first 30 minutes with the plugin ? was i using my assssss during it ?
I have no idea what you used when tried the plugin and I'm not sure I wanna know, but what making a video has to do with anything?
It makes no sense..

Quote:
You telling me to use my ears when you guyz telling people : "oh it's a bad eq , too phasey " whhyle your golden ears don't even pointed out the hard filter scope it was set on ....
Uh?? Filters sound bad to me, again if you like them then good for ya
but how and why you assume just because I don't like 'em I can't
figure out that they've a hard slope?
And again, you can make hard slopes to sound a lot better than that

Quote:
Saying an EQ is pahsey is just stupid !! saying a setting introduce phase (Freq , Q , gain) is more appropriate ....(it also depends on the material !!!)
Is it? Now I'm trying to decode what you're really trying to say as
your english is a bit off, but "a (given) setting introduce(s) phase" doesn't make sense. Phase shift? ringing? phase what?
It doesn't depend on the material, it depends on the design.
Maybe is more noticeable on some material, but material doesn't change
the design of the plugin/filter and how it sounds.

Quote:
but please don't try to convice people that like this eq that they don't have ears ...or don't use it , because this simple statement discredit your remark by itslelf ...
lol I ain't trying to convince anyone man, chill
I'm just expressing my opinion on a plugin like everyone else

Quote:
When i try a plugin :

1) Stability + cpu hit
2) Features /gui / ease of use (also brand /support)
3) sound : do i reach the sound i have in my head quik ?
4) sound : do i reach the sound i have in my head quiker than with other effects i own

then buy

Graphs are pedagogical (for my students to show some stuff , harmonics distortion digital versus analog eq curves ect) , and i analyse only if my POOOR ears telling some wrong ...or if needed on a FORUM !!!!!
good for ya, and don't worry I'm not part of the graphs police,
you can make graphs all day if you like, it's ok..

I don't really understand why you're being so touchy about the subject,
I (and some other user apparently) don't find the eq to be anything special,
and the filters in particular really weird sounding (and I didn't even have
to make a video! lol), should we care what the slope looks like?
Not really. But oh well, carry on
bitewounds
Anyone interested in a Nebula MP / NI shootout?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not in the least.

- c
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Also, anybody trying to convince anyone else to like or not like an EQ: Please ask yourself why it is important to you.

- c
bitewounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➡️
Not in the least.

- c
Right on, little ostrich.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Lol , you telling me to use my ears ? the guy that tried it and posted a video on my first 30 minutes with the plugin ? was i using my assssss during it ?

You telling me to use my ears when you guyz telling people : "oh it's a bad eq , too phasey " whhyle your golden ears don't even pointed out the hard filter scope it was set on ....

I'm posting screen first because it was requested on the forum (golden ears but waks eyes it seems) , and second for guyz to understand what's going on !!

Saying an EQ is pahsey is just stupid !! saying a setting introduce phase (Freq , Q , gain) is more appropriate ....(it also depends on the material !!!)

Pro Q is better at 48Db/oct ....great , use it (it's really a top notch eq) ....but please don't try to convice people that like this eq that they don't have ears ...or don't use it , because this simple statement discredit your remark by itslelf ...

When i try a plugin :

1) Stability + cpu hit
2) Features /gui / ease of use (also brand /support)
3) sound : do i reach the sound i have in my head quik ?
4) sound : do i reach the sound i have in my head quiker than with other effects i own

then buy

Graphs are pedagogical (for my students to show some stuff , harmonics distortion digital versus analog eq curves ect) , and i analyse only if my POOOR ears telling some wrong ...or if needed on a FORUM !!!!!
+1

...i don't understand why is this hard to understand.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d ➡️
What would be interesting also would be to have a graph of the hardware's actual cutoff.
@ the middle of the page

P.S: Q for the squared ones: People at Manley must be crazy too for showing the plots, right?!
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
lol, quote from their Manley's website: "Are comparisons really necessary?"
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➡️
Also, anybody trying to convince anyone else to like or not like an EQ: Please ask yourself why it is important to you.

- c
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
lol, quote from their Manley's website: "Are comparisons really necessary?"
Where did you saw that ?
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Slash ➡️
Where did you saw that ?
At the end of question 1. The context though is comparisons between Manley Passive and other Eq's
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I think we look here for justification for our purchase...after the fact!!!
which is understandable.
Like many slutz i buy far too many plugins.

But i do like this set...and am trying the passive eq on my masters along with the Slate tape emu and think it's a good combo.

Still struggle to fully understand the mid/side feature though...
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Can somebody interpret this?

It's the Vari-mu pushed to the max. If I turn the input down the harmonic distortion decreases . The lowest I can get it to is -43dB.

Native Instruments Premium Tube Series-varimu-hd.jpg

As you can see, on limit mode such as in this graph, and pushed to the max, it has -2dB THD

So, are we talking about for the most part good harmonics or just mess?

Of course pushed like this it won't sound good, so lets look at another one in a minute. But it basically looks similar to this.

Native Instruments Premium Tube Series-varimu-hd-soft-compression.jpg

Just turning up the input knob from it's minimum value to it's maximum the THD goes from -35dB to -17dB on comp mode. Does this explain why when I slam the input I feel my mouth curve into a smile?
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
In contrast, here is a clean comp, the TDR

Even doing 8dB the HD is -118 dB.

Native Instruments Premium Tube Series-tdr-hd-med.png
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro ➡️
@Jeezo:

It doesn't matter if it makes sense that this filter sounds "phasey" because of the way it was implemented (or behaves). The real important factor here is it doesn't sound good, to us, and we just commented about that (at least my post was just a comment; I wasn't trying to say this is a bad EQ). I like the Passive EQ, it is really impressive how close they got it.

Forums are for comments, Jeezo To have a conversation and discuss, for this reason everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Cheers
My remarks wasn't directed for you amigo ...and yes remarks are welcomed on the plugins , not on people ability to hear some or ability to appreciate the quality (bad or good ) of a plugin that was what i didn't apppreciated
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

It's the Vari-mu pushed to the max. If I turn the input down the harmonic distortion decreases . The lowest I can get it to is -43dB.

Attachment 309510

As you can see, on limit mode such as in this graph, and pushed to the max, it has -2dB THD

So, are we talking about for the most part good harmonics or just mess?

Of course pushed like this it won't sound good, so lets look at another one in a minute. But it basically looks similar to this.

Attachment 309511

Just turning up the input knob from it's minimum value to it's maximum the THD goes from -35dB to -17dB on comp mode. Does this explain why when I slam the input I feel my mouth curve into a smile?
My old Manley vari or Thermionic hardware probably can't get that much THD.

Sent from my PC36100
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
My old Manley vari or Thermionic hardware probably can't get that much THD.

Sent from my PC36100
Yes it's quite a lot. You should look at the Arts Acoustic though, that can be clean, but even a tiny amount of work produces a lot of HD.

I've been using that plug-in for ages as a betterizer. Now I know why I like I find it so useful. I just stick it on bass to get it really beefy, I knew it was doing something I couldn't get with Eq or other compressors.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

The VST Plug-in Analyser sends -6 dBFS sine signal into a plug-in while testing it so if you want to further decrease the harmonic content added by the plug-in lover your signals volume prior the plug. The harmonics are input dependent and the input knob controls it just partly. Other help is the gain stage before processing the signal with the plug.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
@ Retinal :

1) i'm not trying to conviced poeple that eq is a god sent !! i'm just give and demonstrate why people don't like the filter !! and you can include me in tha list !! this is not that i don't like , but i will not use it on a whole mix or bus !!!

2) yep the fixed setting of the filter makes it sound pahsey , and yes it's material depend as it's not gonna have the same impact on a simple kick drum and a whole group !! (that's what i was trying to say)7

3) about the video : this was to explain to people saying we don't use ears that the first thing i done when trying the plugin was to play around aon a maschine beat and done the video around it !! have you seen me posting graph during the previous 10 pages of thread ? i vene tend to avoid this graph thing the most possible ....

so i don't give a da....about what you're saying about the plugin (if it's constructuve) , i don't work for NI !! lol but man when somebody is telling me to use my ears and the guy don't a thing about me and other people here , yep i take like that !! especially when i put time and energy to make the discussion be cool constructive , implemented wity videos and other IF NEEDED information(graphs or what ever can gives infos THAT YOU WANT OR NOT to use or take in considerartion )

So those that don't like graphs , chill , those that don't make a whole decision based on graphs (including me) good infos to have also , those that need graphs to understand what they ears , this was for you guyz with pleasure , and those that never even try a plugin unless graphs indicate a clean and safe curve (Freq, distortion ect) , i fully respect your point (witch is valid) and enjoy our post ....
📝 Reply