🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal ➡️
After trying these some more, I gotta say I don't like the eqs at all,
the passive has decent lows but that's it, and yet, there's tons of better ones
for that. The LP filters sound really bad to me, so very phasey
The comp is good, as it sounds and behaves differently from most
itb compressors but again, nothing special really
I must say I agree about the LP filters sounding really phasey. Is this how a Massive Passive sounds?
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodeath ➡️
I must say I agree about the LP filters sounding really phasey. Is this how a Massive Passive sounds?
Who said they based it on a MP?For any of these you would have to use the hardware on the same source to tell if it is even close anyway.Even though it looks like one,they can't say.I guess either you like it or you don't.I like the compressor though.And I found a cool free tube emulation called tubedriver from Nick Crow Labs.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I must say I agree about the LP filters sounding really phasey
I also agree. That filter sounds really weird.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I only like the compressor. I have a few Softube plug-ins like the recent Grand Channel, I especially think the Eq in that just kills these. But maybe I just prefer the Summit Audio EQ more than Massive Passive? I don't know but I feel these eqs are not the best Softube ever made...
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYINGJAY ➡️
a is ni passive.

b is uad mp
I think that UAD won the last round hands down. One more blind test please
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mark ➡️
So, do you guys really think that the Vari Comp has a true "tube sound," per say (and as NI says), that it will truly do better than any other compressor emulations (Waves SSL Buss, Waves Fairchild 670, etc)? Does it really add any character?
Owning 3 different tube compressors I say "not by any stretch"
to the first question and "no, imho" to the second while I don't really understand what the 670 had anything to do with an SSL type comp..

Quote:
I'm not a fan of the MP (hw) but absolutely no, the filters on it
do not sound anything like that, they're actually one thing I like about the unit
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav ➡️
Yes I can agree with this as well, if we put Elysia compressors on the scale and call them transparent, then the Vari-comp adds a lot of character when doing compression.

In that sense it's not so transparent, but I think if you set it up to do light compression it is not really obvious.

Maybe you have better listening and/or more experienced ears than me.
I'm sure that I'm not better than you . I'll just say that we're different.

We have different ears, a different perception of dynamics and different taste in music I think.

That's why the same sound will maybe sound "harsh" to me whereas you'll like it and think it's not harsh but bright.

Again, that's a reason why we have to hear for ourselves while new plugins come up.

For the record just yesterday I was surprised at how better it was with the PASSIVE EQ inserted... And in fact it was bypassed. But just because I was sure it was enabled made me ears things, crazy !

So no, I'm definitely no better heh.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Apple and bananas ......the slope/Q of the filter is drastic ...and fixed ....what do you guyz excpect ? cutting at 12KHZ with a 36db/oct and have some pleasant fileter on a whole mix ?

Like all modeled EQ's , it's gonna shine in some areas and fail in others !! that's why studios , pros , and all of us have many toyz !!

The summit is excellent for some stuff , this is excellent for others ...and certainly not the same !!

the only filter value i will use will be 18 khz ...and if i want chircgical clean stuff , well i'm gonna use a LINEAR PHASE MASTERING grade EQ !!!!!

So here's the deal :

You can see that slope is wiked and the last one you see the conjonction of a lowpass at 12Khz and a 16Khz boost !!!

Again learn your tools and when to use it .....don't excpect all tools are made for your need ....know when you need one or another ....
Attached Thumbnails
Native Instruments Premium Tube Series-ni-passive-eq-filter-18-khz.jpg   Native Instruments Premium Tube Series-ni-passive-eq-filter-12-khz.jpg   Native Instruments Premium Tube Series-ni-passive-eq-filter-22-hz.jpg   Native Instruments Premium Tube Series-ni-passive-eq-filter-39-hz.jpg   Native Instruments Premium Tube Series-ni-passive-eq-filter-12-khz-boost-16-khz.jpg  

Old 17th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
To get some similar in the slope ....on Pro Q we gotta stick with some between 36 and 48 db/oct !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

who the hell expect some clean with a slope like that ?????
Attached Thumbnails
Native Instruments Premium Tube Series-ni-passive-eq-vesrus-proq.jpg  
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Go download this guys TubeDriver plugin.Nick Crow Lab

It has these controls-
Pre EQ - High Pass, Peak, Shelf and resonant Low Pass filters.
BIAS - Determines saturation characterization.
DRIVE -Determines the amount of gain applied by the tube stage.
VOLUME - Output level. When light OVER - decrease VOLUME value.
BOOST - 12 db boost gain applied by the tube stage.
BYPASS - Switch TubeDriver in bypass mode.
MONO - Switch TubeDriver in mono mode - process Left Input, output Left and Right.
PHASE - Flip phase of output signal.
DRIFT - Determines the amount of amplifier's parameter drift.
NOISE - Noise level.
SAMPLERATE - Internal plugin SampleRate in realtime (control of oversampling).
MAX ON RENDER - SampleRate in Render (Mixdown) mode of VST host:
if OFF - SampleRate in Render (Mixdown) mode of VST host same as in realtime.
if ON - SampleRate always have a maximum value in Render (Mixdown) mode of VST host.

You will thank me later.

He also has great Guitar amp Plugins.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
lol .....why ?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Slash ➡️
For the record just yesterday I was surprised at how better it was with the PASSIVE EQ inserted... And in fact it was bypassed. But just because I was sure it was enabled made me ears things, crazy !
That happened to me years ago. I tweaked the eq. until it was just right, not realizing the eq. I was using was on a muted track.

I felt better after watching Ethan Wiener's workshop on YouTube.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️
lol .....why ?
So you can add some Tube and HP or LP filters that work.LOL
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
in MS or LR mod ?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I matched the EQ values compared to the last time.Still on Master Rock for UAD and matched with NI.I included the Print Screen marked UADNI.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3750034/Orig.wav

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3750034/NI.wav

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3750034/UAD.wav

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3750034/UADNI.pdf
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
This plugin is to close to the uad mp,and the NI passive kills my precision eq.

I can't stop laughing at the negative remarks about it.especially considering some of the mentioned eq's are fresh to the market.

Im excited about all the new Plugins.

As someone said the hardware is still for purchase....

Sent from my PC36100
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I've been comparing the Passive EQ to my other EQs (Softube, Waves, BX Digital, Fabfilter, RND Portico etc..) and I can get the sound I like with Passive EQ much faster than with any other EQ I have, and most of the time I prefer the sound of the Passive EQ.
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espiridion ➡️
That happened to me years ago. I tweaked the eq. until it was just right, not realizing the eq. I was using was on a muted track.

I felt better after watching Ethan Wiener's workshop on YouTube.
Glad to know I'm not the only one that can fool myself at my own game heh.

And what does the workshop says ?

Which part to watch ? As it last almost 1 hour.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Apple and bananas ......the slope/Q of the filter is drastic ...and fixed ....what do you guyz excpect ? cutting at 12KHZ with a 36db/oct and have some pleasant fileter on a whole mix ?

Like all modeled EQ's , it's gonna shine in some areas and fail in others !! that's why studios , pros , and all of us have many toyz !!

The summit is excellent for some stuff , this is excellent for others ...and certainly not the same !!

the only filter value i will use will be 18 khz ...and if i want chircgical clean stuff , well i'm gonna use a LINEAR PHASE MASTERING grade EQ !!!!!

So here's the deal :

You can see that slope is wiked and the last one you see the conjonction of a lowpass at 12Khz and a 16Khz boost !!!

Again learn your tools and when to use it .....don't excpect all tools are made for your need ....know when you need one or another ....
lol you and your graphs... What about just listen?
no offence man

What everyone should expect is simply to a tool, whether is a plugin
or a piece of hw, to sound good. If you can't make a filter to sound good,
well, change the damn design.
And about the "linear phase mastering eq",
most likely you'll get even more artifacts
with a linear phase at that freq.
Lows? yes(maybe) Highs? nawt really...

Quote:
To get some similar in the slope ....on Pro Q we gotta stick with some between 36 and 48 db/oct !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

who the hell expect some clean with a slope like that ?????
And the ProQ sounds a hell of a lot better...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Slash ➡️
Glad to know I'm not the only one that can fool myself at my own game heh.
Man I don't think there's anyone here that hasn't
fallen for this
Old 18th September 2012
Lou
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
ears ears ears. **** a graph.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thks Jay for the kind words ...

And i feel you Silver Sonya ....i hold until , for my part Ultimate 9 as i didn't went ultimate 8 (komplete 7 still) i usually wait 2 years ...

so i will hold(try) until then ...i'm buiying all Maschine expansions for now ...

i really hope U9 will have those , other comps out of GR , and new goodies (as well as Damage !!)

Well considering I have K8U and in a weak moment when NI had a sales a couple of months ago ,I caved & bought Damage,so I think that confirms it will be in K9U! lol

That's why I'm resisting this bundle for now,I don't want to be burned twice.

;-)
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Trying them out now...
They seem to kind of distort quickly on the synth I'm working on... Mainly the compressor is doing this. It's not too bad, but not too pleasant, at the same time. They're definitely worth this price, though, for sure! One of the best plug-in bundle deals I've seen in a while!
Where is the UAD comparison of the two? I didn't see it...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by krheatman ➡️
over compressed,but the uad beat ni on your files.thankz for your time!

i dont know how you set up the eq's?
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYINGJAY ➡️
over compressed,but the uad beat ni on your files.thankz for your time!

i dont know how you set up the eq's?
Yes they were OC,I just ran them thru.If you look back up the page there was another song that was more bass heavy for comparison and it tells what settings and shows them.

Sent from my PC36100
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by krheatman ➡️
Hmm pretty different. I also prefer the UAD here. It is quite a lot more open and (somehow) immediate sounding, as in closer.

If you were an ME and this was my song, I'd choose the UAD version. But there must be room to further match them just by doing it by ear. What do you think?

I really like that song by the way, I'd love it if I could get those kinds of vocals as samples, or do a remix of something like that one day.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Lol , you telling me to use my ears ? the guy that tried it and posted a video on my first 30 minutes with the plugin ? was i using my assssss during it ?

You telling me to use my ears when you guyz telling people : "oh it's a bad eq , too phasey " whhyle your golden ears don't even pointed out the hard filter scope it was set on ....

I'm posting screen first because it was requested on the forum (golden ears but waks eyes it seems) , and second for guyz to understand what's going on !!

Saying an EQ is pahsey is just stupid !! saying a setting introduce phase (Freq , Q , gain) is more appropriate ....(it also depends on the material !!!)

Pro Q is better at 48Db/oct ....great , use it (it's really a top notch eq) ....but please don't try to convice people that like this eq that they don't have ears ...or don't use it , because this simple statement discredit your remark by itslelf ...

When i try a plugin :

1) Stability + cpu hit
2) Features /gui / ease of use (also brand /support)
3) sound : do i reach the sound i have in my head quik ?
4) sound : do i reach the sound i have in my head quiker than with other effects i own

then buy

Graphs are pedagogical (for my students to show some stuff , harmonics distortion digital versus analog eq curves ect) , and i analyse only if my POOOR ears telling some wrong ...or if needed on a FORUM !!!!!
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Jeezo your input has been very helpful in this thread.

New comers can gain knowledge and old heads like me can be humble by small reminders of what eq is all about.

We may use our ears to much,but to see what's going on is great food for thought at any level.

No one is above basic fundamentals in sports,music,films and so on.

I always welcome reminders!

Sent from my PC36100
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for taking the time to test this Jeezo. What would be interesting also would be to have a graph of the hardware's actual cutoff. I'm C+curious of what it would show...
📝 Reply