Native Instruments Premium Tube Series - Page 12 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Native Instruments Premium Tube Series
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop666 ➡️
Reading even a short manual like the Passive EQ manual is an overcomplicated and long process...

For your convinience short version here: 20 = 20 db (boost/cut)

Long version here: http://images-l3.native-instruments....al_English.zip

Just because the knobs tell you 20 db doesn't mean it's 20 db for real.

Depending on the gain setting and Q it may be more than 50% less than the GUI readout.

Last edited by Tim Farrant; 18th September 2012 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: abusive style
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappolito ➡️
Again for you: Just because the knobs tell you 20 db doesn't mean it's 20 db for real. If you had any talent or skill you would be able to hear it.

Depending on the gain setting and Q it may be more than 50% less than the GUI readout.

Dude, it's the same with analogue equipment. Let it go, it's about turning knobs to get a good sound, not "this EQ is a tenth of decibel out, it's crap". It's about speed, you can't tell a client that you just have to match some EQs in SPAN to get the right kick drum sound. 20dB of EQ will generally sound pretty awful anyway.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I never saw where it was for sure... Is it the Manley Vari MU for sure what the compressor is emulating?
If so, I'm so down for this.
GMR
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➡️
WHY all the STRESSING as to whether these two EQ's match perfectly or not? I just don't get it. Who cares. This thread is beginning to take on a comedy factor.

All that matters is if the one you own can get your where you want to be when you twist a knob or push a fader. Does it make you smile, or leave you wanting..... Sounds like either will get you very, very close if not all the way. Bottom line is that I'd never EQ something EXACTLY the same way twice anyway, so I don't see what all the matching whoopla is about. Hell, I'd probably choose a DIFFERENT type of EQ next time around anyway.....so,

If very, very close is not close enough, then buy the hardware and your second guessing is over with.

Unless of course the pre-2005 MP's sound better than the latest releases.... Maybe better to buy both....

My suggestion, twist a knob, move on, make music, be happy.....
Exactly ! does the Eq sound good , IMO ! Yes, I'm buying !!!
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mark ➡️
I never saw where it was for sure... Is it the Manley Vari MU for sure what the compressor is emulating?
If so, I'm so down for this.
Due to copy rights laws,if it is model after the mu,'they ain't sayin'.

Vcc(virtual console collection) gave us different symbols for each of the 5 consoles.

Have you tried the compressor?it remained on my mix buss since I demoed the bundle.

Within 24 hours out came the credit card,and my $60 voucher.

Now I gotta grab the new uad 1176 bundle before Sept 30.uad gave me a $50 voucher,so ill get them for $100

It's a set up for sure...

Sent from my PC36100
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➡️
WHY all the STRESSING as to whether these two EQ's match perfectly or not? I just don't get it. Who cares. This thread is beginning to take on a comedy factor.

My suggestion, twist a knob, move on, make music, be happy.....
Thank you! My thoughts.

Some seem to be more busy "testing" things and finding flaws while other embrace it and actually work with it.

Passive EQ is excellent and brings something new to the plugin EQ table IMHO.

I even go one step further: To my ears this is the most musical and interesting sounding emulated EQ I've ever heard. (Nope, don't have a UAD card but I'm sure theirs is excellent too.)
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYINGJAY
Due to copy rights laws,if it is model after the mu,'they ain't sayin'.
It is, however, almost for sure, though, right?
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
It is, however, almost for sure, though, right?
Yes!

Sent from my PC36100
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➡️
A/B-ing is for squares. Use your ears, make a quick judgement call, and move forward.

- c
Circle! Get him!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesist ➡️
Circle! Get him!!!
heh
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Just to report back on the Vari-comp.

It is very easy to set and forget, and even with light gain reduction it is simply not noticeable. I haven't looked at any analysis in detail to see just what it is doing to the signal, the GR meter moves so I assume it's doing GR, but I can barely hear it.

So for transparent compression I think this one is ace.

But, if you really push the input and pull the detector back so it bounces between 2 & 4 dB and you set it to limit mode you can get a pretty aggressive yet transparent compression. I don't know if I've used anything else that does this.

The the HP is really good too. You can really push things with this. I use a second instance after the first with the HP engaged. As I said, you can really push the sound, that's the only way I can describe it.

If it just did one or the other, transparent or aggressive I don't know if it would have the same appeal, but it's the range of compression you can get from this that I find remarkable. I can see this being a really useful tool.

Not to mention that it does the best SC compression of any I've tried for creative purposes, so totally smooth you can completely eliminate the sound just after the kick and have it rise up again just before the next kick, while sounding totally smooth and not giving you motion sickness.

Totally sold on this. The Enhance EQ is also really good for boosting the bass. The Passive Eq is the only plug-in here I don't think I'd buy separately, and I think it is just because I am not used to this kind of EQ. But the mid-side functions make it a another very useful tool.

Of course, buying the Comp and Enhance EQ, I might as well get the whole bundle. I've got a voucher I've not used yet too. Very sweet deal.

I found I was really able to evaluate the plug-ins when I used them in conjunction with a limiter on the end. This time it was the BX-XL which I have on demo again.

Not to derail the thread, but tbh the first time round I thought it was one of the poorest limiters I'd tried, this time round It's in my plan for purchasing in the future. Excellent! and I have the Pro-L too, which is of course brilliant also, but I love how creative you can get with the XL, internal side-chain, M/S. It's a great tool. I love BX plug-ins and I used to wonder what the fuss was about some time ago.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
A quik videos on the Vari comp and the Passive Eq from NI Premium Tube series plugins made by Softube

1) Vari comp compression on master bus ( use of the Dry know and the HP knob)
2) Passive EQ in M/S mod to master the stéréo and clean areas ..

Hope you guyz enjoy , SORRY for the poor quality of mu Voice mix , but done it on the rush and didn't used my regular Template witch is already set for my videos ...

just got the plugin for a min ....and i really enjoy those very good plugins !!

i find maybe the knobs resolution kinda too high ...but under than that i think we gonna get served by NI/Softube other goodies as those are winner and the team NI + Softube is working well

PLEASE NI , put the compressors bundle out of GUITAR RIG !!
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
After trying these some more, I gotta say I don't like the eqs at all,
the passive has decent lows but that's it, and yet, there's tons of better ones
for that. The LP filters sound really bad to me, so very phasey
The comp is good, as it sounds and behaves differently from most
itb compressors but again, nothing special really
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
So, do you guys really think that the Vari Comp has a true "tube sound," per say (and as NI says), that it will truly do better than any other compressor emulations (Waves SSL Buss, Waves Fairchild 670, etc)? Does it really add any character?
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
it can be very smooth or pumping like crazy ....(lok at the video ) the thing is that you play then with the DRY knob and the HP ...

It's a very versatyle comp that can do SSL ,and way more ...

Now for tha analog sounding , well the the comps doesn't sound analog , but waht your compressing have too (don't know if i'm clear) ...

Now if you talk about analog reaction to dynamics ...well it reminds me hardware for sure ..like the opto comp from IK , SSL duende , Fairchild ect ...

CPU heavy , also so not a mixing tool for me ...
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
People are reporting only like 1-2% CPU on these, so why are they not mixing tools? My demo won't work... :-(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
So, do you guys really think that the Vari Comp has a true "tube sound," per say (and as NI says), that it will truly do better than any other compressor emulations (Waves SSL Buss, Waves Fairchild 670, etc)? Does it really add any character?
If you read what the engineers that did the emulations for the UAD MP said,the transformers exhibited more character and the tubes were pretty transparent.It would be nice if they put a color knob on tube emulations to dial in some if you want it,unless of course that type of emulation isn't quite THERE yet.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
On a more technical point of view , the lopass at 18 k is analog curved for real with as small boost around 10-15k and then when you go 12k (LP) this is like a very drastic Lowpass (more than 12db/oct) and so can be resonant ....

Thats why it meant to be used in conjonction with other bands !!

also cut create so non symterical eq witch do some boost and cut !! that's why i constantly play with several bands to compensate ...

Might be strange for some (that's why some don't like it ) , guess what this is not the average EQ !!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Have you tried it? How do you feel about it?

Your feelings are valid! Consensus is of no use.

[Not being facetious. I mean it, truly.]

- c
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️
A quik videos on the Vari comp and the Passive Eq from NI Premium Tube series plugins made by Softube

Hope you guyz enjoy , SORRY for the poor quality of mu Voice mix , but done it on the rush and didn't used my regular Template witch is already set for my videos ...

i find maybe the knobs resolution kinda too high ...but under than that i think we gonna get served by NI/Softube other goodies as those are winner and the team NI + Softube is working well

Like this video alot!

The compressor, is not immediately impressive or WOW, but it is so useful as you demonstrated. You can get a lovely huge moving sound without out-right pumping.

You also showed the Massive Eq is perfectly usable. The range of opinions here, worst plug-ins from softube to best plug-in softube ever made!

Thanks for the video, I like it a lot, will check out your others.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Glad you like iteven with youtube crap sound ....the thing with a comp on master buss is not to be noticeable like crazy , is to help the Limter faolowing do less job and to glue things together and also to master some dynamics , and give a little character but really if needed ...

In this videos , the beat is dry as hell and no pieces of it have been treated before ...

So i really encourage you guyz to try it ...for real ....

This comp , i will talk about it to my student because it's hard to do areally bad compression (witch they tend to do quik !!) with it ..if they stick with regular setting they will have a safe working compression ....i will also suggest for those mixing with it , to mix in the comp( engage , set it and then start mix in it , keep the gain stage right )
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav ➡️
So for transparent compression I think this one is ace.
Another example that shows that YOUR ears matter. Because on my side I think that this compressor, which I like very much, is everything but transparent. And that's what I like about it, the fact that it add its character to the sound.

By the way, this compressor sounds great in parallel.

Quote:
I'm sorry but there is no such thing as a "HP Knob" on this plugin.

It's the "Threshold" knob . Which is not linked with the "Detector HP". It's just a threshold knob like it works on other compressors.

Quote:
Can't agree more ! Bring it on heh !
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've decided to buy the compressor only for now. I have a lot of EQ's.

It's obvious this whole set will be included in the next version of Komplete and I can wait until then. I have been a dummy before, but...

- c
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYINGJAY ➡️
they are really close!!!!!

the non-mastering uad mp only take 30% from my dsp system.im doing mixes and adding mp!
a is ni passive.

b is uad mp
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➡️
I've decided to buy the compressor only for now. I have a lot of EQ's.

It's obvious this whole set will be included in the next version of Komplete and I can wait until then. I have been a dummy before, but...

- c
i feel you,i have komplete 8 ultimate.i think im going to hold out this time anyway.

i have enough samples,plus i cant see them releasing k9 unless they include machine.

i spent $500 to upgrade from k7,i'd like to see this rabbit they pull from the hat this time.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

great great great video!

hot hot hot soundcloud track.

great quote!

your the man jeezo!
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Slash ➡️
Another example that shows that YOUR ears matter. Because on my side I think that this compressor, which I like very much, is everything but transparent. And that's what I like about it, the fact that it add its character to the sound.
Yes I can agree with this as well, if we put Elysia compressors on the scale and call them transparent, then the Vari-comp adds a lot of character when doing compression.

In that sense it's not so transparent, but I think if you set it up to do light compression it is not really obvious.

Maybe you have better listening and/or more experienced ears than me.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Slash ➡️

By the way, this compressor sounds great in parallel.

I'm sorry but there is no such thing as a "HP Knob" on this plugin.

It's the "Threshold" knob . Which is not linked with the "Detector HP". It's just a threshold knob like it works on other compressors.

Can't agree more ! Bring it on heh !

lol thks for the quote my bad i write slow while my mind fast .....lol of course it's the threshold knob and the hp detector switch ...
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Thks Jay for the kind words ...

And i feel you Silver Sonya ....i hold until , for my part Ultimate 9 as i didn't went ultimate 8 (komplete 7 still) i usually wait 2 years ...

so i will hold(try) until then ...i'm buiying all Maschine expansions for now ...

i really hope U9 will have those , other comps out of GR , and new goodies (as well as Damage !!)
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Oh yeah , am i the only one that tried to click on the vari comp VU waiting for it to light up ?!!

I wanted to knock it several time with my finger (like on old Analog stuff) to wake it up , to make it work ...lol
📝 Reply