Quantcast
Native Instruments Premium Tube Series - Page 11 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Native Instruments Premium Tube Series
Old 16th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
WHY all the STRESSING as to whether these two EQ's match perfectly or not? I just don't get it. Who cares. This thread is beginning to take on a comedy factor.

All that matters is if the one you own can get your where you want to be when you twist a knob or push a fader. Does it make you smile, or leave you wanting..... Sounds like either will get you very, very close if not all the way. Bottom line is that I'd never EQ something EXACTLY the same way twice anyway, so I don't see what all the matching whoopla is about. Hell, I'd probably choose a DIFFERENT type of EQ next time around anyway.....so,

If very, very close is not close enough, then buy the hardware and your second guessing is over with.

Unless of course the pre-2005 MP's sound better than the latest releases.... Maybe better to buy both....

My suggestion, twist a knob, move on, make music, be happy.....
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thank u NI and Softube
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
All this fascination with A/B-ing reminds me how different I am from most people on this site.

I just use stuff and see if it suits my purposes or not.

NI/Softube were smart to not name a specific unit the compressor is modeling.

It's causing people to just... y'know... like it or not.

- c
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop666 ➡️
deleted
They are calibrated differently,but funny remark though...

Sent from my PC36100
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➡️
All this fascination with A/B-ing reminds me how different I am from most people on this site.
Well, you've got at least ONE kindred spirit SS.....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➡️

I just use stuff and see if it suits my purposes or not.

NI/Softube were smart to not name a specific unit the compressor is modeling.

It's causing people to just... y'know... like it or not.

- c
I'm the same way, but, I'm always curious about sound comparisons. I find it fascinating at times.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
It may be folly..but along the way we get to learn what is going on in the real world with this design with a mix of opinions.
Where else can this be done reliably? .. .... only here really!
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Logan ➡️
Any love for the premium tube compressor? I have enough EQs.
This compressor is really cool. Great character and yet it's also a little transparent depending on how you set it up. What's great is how different you can get it to sound depending on how hard you hit the input.

I have not decided yet whether I'm getting the Eq's but I have decided I am getting the compressor.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by krheatman ➡️
I don't like the mid bands on the hardware MP either.But that was the regular version also.

Sent from my PC36100
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie ➡️
And that's part of why everyone has adifferent perspective on this. Personally I always felt that the MPs mid bands were what he did best, go figure
I was talking about the SPL PassEq not the MP,
sort of off topic, I know
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nznexus ➡️
it is just my opinion, i have compared the real hardware to software and hardware sounded brighter and clearer while software was more flat. but anyway i think hardware is better
Have you tried the mastering MP?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal ➡️
I was talking about the SPL PassEq not the MP,
sort of off topic, I know
I knew that.

I am digging the compressor though.Will I sell off my Thermionic?Not yet.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYINGJAY ➡️
They are calibrated differently,but funny remark though...

Sent from my PC36100
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➡️
Well, you've got at least ONE kindred spirit SS.....
I'm with you guys as well.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhager84 ➡️
I'm with you guys as well.
Me too,dude was in the grumpy mood.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
if the hardware mp = the uad mp.
and the ni/softube >= uad mp ...

and this is just 2012 heh

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Slash ➡️

According to how great the PASSIVE EQ sounds, it seems that they modeled it with the same quality as their other stuff.
It's impossible to be sure.
If we could compare methods and levels of accuracy in HW testing and later way of coding between their different projects then we could conclude something valid...but we can't, can't we?

The sound of the passive eq being on the same level (if it is, not sure right now) as their other plug-ins doesn't look that great in my eyes. I expect more after all this yrs of testing and coding. I'm expecting them to be better...way better.
Why wouldn't I expect that from them? I believe in Harvey Dent!

I liked their CL-1B before I heard the HW version. Totally different behavior of the release, different responses to the different freq. ranges and way less distorting. Soft is not that bad. I just thought it's closer to the magnificent HW, that's it. I still use the soft version today but not that happily any more.
IMO their best plug-ins are the reverb and the Trident eq. God knows how the Trident HW really sounds but I don't care about that much cause I'm happy with the plug, more happy then I was with the CL-1B. The Tube delay is nice to have too. I haven't bought the Summit stuff cause i don't need it but it sounds pretty good although i haven't heard the HW version yet.

I'll give more testing time to this set of plugs in the next few days.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm really starting to appreciate the other plugins in the bundle too! Initially, I didn't really see the Vari Comp doing anything special The Glue doesn't but after some tweaking I really like what it does. I'll probably use it in conjunction with The Glue doing 1-2db each.

The Enhanced EQ could be the Pultec Pro replacement I've wanted to for a long time. I would rather not use my UAD-1 but the Pultec Pro is really a staple and none of the other emulations I've tried (Waves, IK) match it in sound or flexibility. I love the midrange options on the Enhanced EQ, I only wish it had more bands.

I look forward to seeing what else comes from this NI/Softube partnership.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotl ➡️
Oh how i wanted to have Massive-Passive and Vari MU emulations from Softube but with nice, realistic GUI as they know to make them... :(

They should have released this plugs as a proper Softube. They've released their own version of Trident A-Range after UAD, right? ...and it became more popular one.
Maybe Manley didn't wanted another 'official' emulator to jump around the net. If so that's too bad and Softube should respond with emulations of the Phoenix and Avalon EQs or something like that.

The problem here is that somehow I doubt they made this plug-ins as best they could when they're released like this...Cause this is not Brilliance Pack, there's a lot more going on here. Yes, their name is clearly listed but it's not really, REALLY Softube...and I don't think they invested as much time and effort as UAD did in emulating MP. Why would they? Month or 2 is enough for a semi-Softube release. It's elfishly to think like that, I know, I know...they're professionals and all but that thought just itching my brain. Can't help myself!

IM-crazy-O.
I think kind of the same way. The passive eq, even if it sounds amazing,
Does not sound as hardware as the the UAD mp but if you compare there trident
It sounds every bit as hardware than the UAD. So I kind of feel that they didn't
Emulate it 100%. But who cares, it sounds great and for the price it's a wunderful eq.
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick2630 ➡️
it sounds great and for the price it's a wunderful eq.
Absolutely! ...and Mid/Side + Parallel is very handy.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Hello,
Are they easy going on the cpu?
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
depends on cpu ...but kinda hard if i recall posts BUT this is used mainly during mastering :

Mastering : 1 stereo track to treat !!

Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthmagic ➡️
Hello,
Are they easy going on the cpu?
Different reports on CPU usage.my i5 2500k shows 2% with 1 varicomp and 1 passive.

Others with i7 reported 20% for varicomp,weird right?

I don't have hyperthreading for me i5,maybe each lane for my quad plus turboboost2,work differently?

The i7 is a quad with HT,might be better for bigger projects?

Why split a core with very little going on?just a thought.
Sent from my PC36100
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have an i7 quad 3 ghz and Reaper is showing 1.5% for the Vari Comp, 0.9% for the Passive EQ and 0.3% CPU usage for the Enhanced EQ which is VERY reasonable.

Forgetting the cost for a moment and considering for the sake of argument the UAD MP is marginally better, I'd take 100 NI Passive EQ's over 4 UAD Massive Passives (or 1 hardware version) anyday! :D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Slash ➡️
It's not because it's contract work for NI with a kinda plastic GUI that it's "semi-Softube".
And it's not because the plastic GUI resembles certain hardware that it's "semi-Manley", is it? I think everyone's fawning over these BECAUSE of the GUIs. These are some of the flatest, most boring, unlifelike plug-ins to date having Softube's name on 'em (not counting the "Guitar Rig" comps, as I never tried them, due to being hardwired to that NI rack, so don't have any opinion on their sound... I have one on their implementation, though!).

This bundle has almost zero character to it. If you want clean EQ and comp, do it right with Sonoris. If you want a vari-mu plug-in with some character... Abbey Road RS124 is SO much better than this. If you want a relatively clean vari-mu, gimme Waves' PuigChild over this any day.

These plugs are as close to all show and no go as any I've heard in a while. Hard to believe they're Softube (although their FET and Passive Active Pack are almost this boring). The Grand Channel plug-ins have more range in practical use AND more character than any of these "Premium Tube Series" plug-ins. I think you guys are going gaga over the semi-Manley/Massive Passive GUIs. Really... they're just pictures.

These are so disappointing. But I've never heard the hardware. Maybe the hardware versions would disappoint me, too, for all I know (although I've never really had any "urge" for Manley hardware, so they couldn't really disappoint... would be more surprising to me, given their notoriety and reputation).

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong (but not this time). heh

Okay... back to your regularly scheduled gushing over these...

Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut ➡️
And it's not because the plastic GUI resembles certain hardware that it's "semi-Manley", is it? I think everyone's fawning over these BECAUSE of the GUIs. These are some of the flatest, most boring, unlifelike plug-ins to date having Softube's name on 'em (not counting the "Guitar Rig" comps, as I never tried them, due to being hardwired to that NI rack, so don't have any opinion on their sound... I have one on their implementation, though!).

This bundle has almost zero character to it. If you want clean EQ and comp, do it right with Sonoris. If you want a vari-mu plug-in with some character... Abbey Road RS124 is SO much better than this. If you want a relatively clean vari-mu, gimme Waves' PuigChild over this any day.

These plugs are as close to all show and no go as any I've heard in a while. Hard to believe they're Softube (although their FET and Passive Active pack are almost this boring). The Grand Channel plug-ins have more range in practical use AND more character than any of these "Premium Tube Series" plug-ins. I think you guys are going gaga over the semi-Manley/Massive Passive GUIs. Really... they're just pictures.

These are so disappointing. But I've never heard the hardware. Maybe the hardware versions would disappoint me, too, for all I know (although I've never really had any "urge" for Manley hardware, so they couldn't really disappoint... would be more surprising to me, given their notoriety and reputation).

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong (but not this time). heh

Okay... back to your regularly scheduled gushing over these...

Sent from my PC36100
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
These are some of the flatest, most boring, unlifelike plug-ins to date having Softube's name on 'em...
Agreed.

Quote:
Hard to believe they're Softube (although their FET and Passive Active Pack are almost this boring).
This POV I don't understand. Have you used the Passive Active Pack? They're everything but boring. Some of the best and versatile EQs I'm aware of. The saturation in the Focussing EQ alone is amazing.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui ➡️
Agreed.

This POV I don't understand. Have you used the Passive Active Pack? They're everything but boring. Some of the best and versatile EQs I'm aware of. The saturation in the Focussing EQ alone is amazing.
They can't possibly work. The don't 'look cool'...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhager84 ➡️
They can't possibly work. The don't 'look cool'...

Haha!

Sent from my PC36100
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I meant to say, the GUIs of this new pack are indeed very flat and boring looking. Dark grey, light grey, middle grey... What is the matter with modern graphic designers, are they afraid of colour or something.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I love it. I find it almost a trap for me when something is crazy in design. You start 'looking' more than 'hearing'

I used to tape over the labels of new hardware, so I would 'hear' what it was doing to the signal as I manipulated it; not 'see' it...

📝 Reply