Quantcast
Akg d12 vr - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Akg d12 vr
Old 13th September 2012
  #1
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Hardware Akg d12 vr

So finally they have done it! A reissue of the old AKG D12. Now we can only hope that it sounds as it should. But why all this advanced filtering options? Maybe good but I feel that it effects the price that is pretty high I think, Β£349 according to Sound On Sound.

News - AKG announce D12 VR mic

AKG Revamped D12 VR Bass Microphone Encompasses Vintage D12 Performance, Style And Quality At PLASA

Old 13th September 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
At least it's not green and gold...
Old 13th September 2012
  #3
Lives for gear
 
superwack's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
now THIS is interesting
Old 13th September 2012
  #4
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Yay! That is great news!

---

Thomas Johansen
Welcome to Elastic Studios
Old 13th September 2012
  #5
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
I wonder if you can use the capsule in an old one?????
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
superwack's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagelove ➑️
I wonder if you can use the capsule in an old one?????
You mean use the new capsule to fix the one in your old D12? hmm... I'm going to have the pie in the sky hope that you won't need to (although, honestly I doubt that... I'm trying to be positive today)
Old 13th September 2012
  #7
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
This IS NOT modeled after the D12 and it's not the same capsule from what I understand. This is probably more a cross of the D12 and D112 but for marketing reasons, they went for the D12 name. C12VRs aren't much like original C12s either.


I emailed AKG a few months ago to ask if they would ever reissue the D12, and this what an official rep said.
Quote:
As far as we know, the new D12 will not be a copy of the old D12. It is a new construction and does not have many similarity with the old version (except the good sound…).
Doesn't mean it wouldn't have a sound of it's own though which could be quite good.
Old 14th September 2012
  #8
Lives for gear
 
cheu78's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Hopefully will be better than their "reissue" or new model of the 414

I like the D112 on kicks, and I own a D12.. I'll probably give it a try when will be avalaible.

Just my 0.02$,

Cheu
Old 15th September 2012
  #9
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
very interesting indeed - anybody heard it?
Old 15th September 2012
  #10
Lives for gear
 
ARIEL's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Alrighty another kick drum to my arsenal I presume it will have a vintage tone but with extended low end perhaps ? I'll be picking it for sure . Still a big fan of the D112 . Sounds great for any style of music . I know some some say you get a cardboard type tone , But add some dampening or re position the mic / change the skin or maybe the Bass drum just sounds bad
Old 17th September 2012
  #11
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderE ➑️
So finally they have done it! A reissue of the old AKG D12. Now we can only hope that it sounds as it should. But why all this advanced filtering options? Maybe good but I feel that it effects the price that is pretty high I think, Β£349 according to Sound On Sound.

News - AKG announce D12 VR mic

AKG Revamped D12 VR Bass Microphone Encompasses Vintage D12 Performance, Style And Quality At PLASA



Pretty obvious as to WHY the filtering.
IF it has the tone of the original, the filtering will allow it to NOT be a one trick pony.

.
Old 19th September 2012
  #12
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
hmmm... if this actually sounds like the original i think it would be the most amazing release in years. i kind of doubt that it does though.
still - a new d20 would be great. all the old ones i bought were broken to some degree and capsule replacements are not available anymore. i do have a friend who ownes two nos d20s. and they sound simply amazing on kick and amps. hope this new release comes close. price is totally ok i think. and the filtering was there in every d20. they should call it a d20 vr.
Old 20th September 2012
  #13
Lives for gear
 
ddageek's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Some times I think AKG make money by buying up their old classics building a "VR" that seams to mean has nothing in common with the originals then selling the classics for more $$$!

Wait.. If they were really that smart they would figure out how they did it in the old days and make an even bigger killing!
Old 20th September 2012
  #14
guys. how can a modern mic sound like an aged (when was the original d12 invented? 30 years ago?) mik? right, it can not. like the 100 different U-xx clones.

I definitly hope it will be a better mic then the 414s xls..

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk
Old 21st September 2012
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Matt Hepworth's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
This smells like Neumann.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
  #16
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola ➑️
guys. how can a modern mic sound like an aged (when was the original d12 invented? 30 years ago?) mik?
I'd say around 50 years ago - quite astonishing that there's a dynamic mic that has been unsurpassed (for certain things) for such a long time.

and btw, some time ago I read (I think it was even here on GS) that the Audix F12 (from their cheap discontinued 'Fusion' series) comes rather close - so I tried it, invested to get one for around 40 dollars (!!) NOS, and: yes - definitely VERY similar, on bass guitar cabinet it's nearly impossible to distinguish the two .. on bass drum it's not quite there, but still closer than any other mic I've tried .. definitely a sleeper, and a recommendation. especially since it costs around 10% of the new AKG update.
Old 21st September 2012
  #17
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
The original D12 topped out at like 10-12kHz. This thing tops out at 17k. It could be a good mic. But it won't be anything like a D12.
Old 22nd September 2012
  #18
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
It is nothing like a D12. Sounds like a D112 with refinements and added flexibility with the switchable active filter thing. If you're looking for that vintage midrange thing it is absolutely not for you. If you we're about to buy a D112 you should check it out before you do.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
  #19
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola ➑️
guys. how can a modern mic sound like an aged (when was the original d12 invented? 30 years ago?) mik? right, it can not.

Re20 ?????? Never heard anyone say old ones sound different than new ones.

I get your point though. You maybe should say, when parts are no longer available (vf14 tube for example) modern replacements will sound different.

Oh and I am sure this will sound nothing like the original, and if it is as good as the 112 at making kicks sound like a basketballs I will be sure to skip it....

SAMPLES DEMANDED!!!!!
Old 22nd September 2012
  #20
Lives for gear
 
doorknocker's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Yes, the 'aged' D12/D20 sound.... a combination of decades of beer spill and cigarette smoke stain and a broken capsule that sonically matches a Yamaha Subkick reamped through an Auratone.

FWIW, on a recent drum session my D112 won over both a D12 and a D20 that are in great condition.

So a variation on the D112 could be a good thing I'd say if that's the case here.

Had anybody actually heard/ used the mic in question here?
Old 22nd September 2012
  #21
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Yes.
Old 22nd September 2012
  #22
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
That sucks , I was hoping for something to come close to the original D20 .
Old 22nd September 2012
  #23
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
nevermind. i see it's $499. That's a bit high for a kick mic.
Old 22nd September 2012
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Matt Hepworth's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
At that price you might as well get a REALLY babied D12E. A nice D12E sells for $400 typically.

It sure seems like all manufacturers are PUSSIES!

No-one dares make a real remake of anything vintage. Three mics will probably never be cloned - the D12E, the U67, and the KM84. Even Mercenary "improved" the KM84 design they'd built. Peluso based on a castrated U67, the list goes on and on. They're all scared to do things right, since it's safer to say it was "loosely based on" something when theirs doesn't stack up to the original.
Old 22nd September 2012
  #25
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Well, this mic couldn't sound more different than a D12 or variants. It's scooped sounding and modern. I find it annoying that AKG have called it the D12, made it look like an updated D12, but made a completely different microphone sonically. It's just a marketing ploy to get attention. Obviously they don't directly refer to the D12 in their marketing literature, but by drawing the name and look comparison they're clearly trying to piggy back on the D12 reputation. And they have every right to do that, but ultimately it's foolish because it attracts negative comparisons. I mean, if they'd called it the D113 or whatever, we'd all be saying 'Ah ok, fair enough, I'll give it a go next time I'm tracking drums and there's one available'.

So to that end the idea that you could just get a clean D12 instead doesn't quite follow...because it's so different that there's no choice BUT get an old one if that's what you're after. So again, sadly that immediate thought that I'm sure we all had, of 'oooh maybe this is a way for me to get a consistent and readily available D12 sound' has come to nothing.

BUT If you completely disregard the D12 image and think of it as a D112 upgrade it's more interesting, if that's your thing. It's built well, it has a much more suitable profile for getting inside a front head hole, and it has some more flexible options with the switching filter.

J
Old 23rd September 2012
  #26
Sim
Lives for gear
akgd12vr
d12
d112
Attached Thumbnails
Akg d12 vr-akg-d12vr.gif   Akg d12 vr-d12spec.gif   Akg d12 vr-d112.gif  
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
  #27
Sim
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ruston ➑️
Well, this mic couldn't sound more different than a D12 or variants. It's scooped sounding and modern. I find it annoying that AKG have called it the D12, made it look like an updated D12, but made a completely different microphone sonically. It's just a marketing ploy to get attention. Obviously they don't directly refer to the D12 in their marketing literature, but by drawing the name and look comparison they're clearly trying to piggy back on the D12 reputation. And they have every right to do that, but ultimately it's foolish because it attracts negative comparisons. I mean, if they'd called it the D113 or whatever, we'd all be saying 'Ah ok, fair enough, I'll give it a go next time I'm tracking drums and there's one available'.

So to that end the idea that you could just get a clean D12 instead doesn't quite follow...because it's so different that there's no choice BUT get an old one if that's what you're after. So again, sadly that immediate thought that I'm sure we all had, of 'oooh maybe this is a way for me to get a consistent and readily available D12 sound' has come to nothing.

BUT If you completely disregard the D12 image and think of it as a D112 upgrade it's more interesting, if that's your thing. It's built well, it has a much more suitable profile for getting inside a front head hole, and it has some more flexible options with the switching filter.

J
So do think it's any good. I was hoping those switches would do something to the mids to kind of emulate that vintage midrange sound. This sucks.
Old 23rd September 2012
  #28
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
While plots can often be misleading those do reflect the broad character of these mics. The D12VR is far closer to the D112 than the D12...and that's in passive mode.

The filter thing dips the mids in the middle position, adds low end boost to that mid dip in the left position and adds high lift to the low boost and mid dip in the right position. So while the 'VR' designation and endless use of the word vintage in the blurb might make you think that if anything you'd be able to emphasise the mids, in fact the opposite is true.

Do I think it's any good? Well, I think it's a good successor to the D112. I think it's better sonically, ergonomically, in terms of build quality etc. But whether it's any good depends on what you want it to be. If you want it to be a D12, then no, I don't think it's any good. This is where I just can't understand AKG...Why set yourselves up for unfavourable comparisons?

J
Old 23rd September 2012
  #29
Sim
Lives for gear
I reckon if you used the same graph for both the plot for the d12vr and d112 would be almost identical. Just these plots alone the d12vr looks to sound more like the d112 than the d12. They haven't even included measurements for the switch. I'll have to keep saving for the d25 they regularly com up for sale for Β£250. I've used 4 different ones and they seem to be pretty consistant sound wise.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
  #30
PDC
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth ➑️
At that price you might as well get a REALLY babied D12E. A nice D12E sells for $400 typically.

It sure seems like all manufacturers are PUSSIES!

No-one dares make a real remake of anything vintage. Three mics will probably never be cloned - the D12E, the U67, and the KM84. Even Mercenary "improved" the KM84 design they'd built. Peluso based on a castrated U67, the list goes on and on. They're all scared to do things right, since it's safer to say it was "loosely based on" something when theirs doesn't stack up to the original.
It is not a matter of doing things right. they can't legally make exact replicas and the cost of the exact replica would put people off, because the replica would cost what the originals would cost plus inflation.
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 5883 views: 1882559
Avatar for nobtwiddler
nobtwiddler 3 days ago
replies: 61 views: 10716
Avatar for frans
frans 8th April 2011
replies: 1178 views: 265468
Avatar for bill5
bill5 2 weeks ago
replies: 59 views: 10542
Avatar for kellyd
kellyd 14th March 2010
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump