Quantcast
Akg d12 vr - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Akg d12 vr
Old 24th September 2012
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Maybe i'll get a chance to take one for a spin!
I would to see how they sound, and I really couldn't care less as to how they compare. If the do great but if they sound good thats great as well. I love cool dynamic mics and they don't have to be old to be great mics!heh
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 ➑️
Maybe i'll get a chance to take one for a spin!
I would to see how they sound, and I really couldn't care less as to how they compare. If the do great but if they sound good thats great as well. I love cool dynamic mics and they don't have to be old to be great mics!heh
Would love to hear your thoughts if you get a chance to test it out!
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Review in Sound on Sound is favorable, but states that it sounds nothing like an original D12. States that it sounds more like a D112, with a smile curve. Of course, I would like to hear this for myself before I believe a reviewer, but normally, reviews are over-gushy and this review is actually critical of AKG naming it a D12, especially as the VR stands for "Vintage Reissue"

Sounds like another Jupiter to me. Why oh why do companies market things this way? It is only going to draw inevitable comparisons and negative comments on what is probably a perfectly good mic in it's own right. No need to drag it down by hanging a legendary name around it's neck.
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth ➑️
No-one dares make a real remake of anything vintage. Three mics will probably never be cloned - the D12E, the U67, and the KM84. Even Mercenary "improved" the KM84 design they'd built. Peluso based on a castrated U67, the list goes on and on. They're all scared to do things right, since it's safer to say it was "loosely based on" something when theirs doesn't stack up to the original.

In this particular case the capsules inside the original D12/D20/D25/D30/D45 were a lot more difficult to manufacture than the parts in these newer assembly line products. Also---these old D12 type mics are not sm57's---they are much more fragile (the reason there are so many dead or dying [no low end] D12's on the earth). AKG originally developed these mics in the 50's and 60's for dialogue recording on film sets---the fact that they work so well as kick drum mics is a complete (happy) accident. So it just wouldn't make sense for AKG to re-make a mic that is: 1) Difficult to service 2) Unreliable in heavy touring and modern close drum micing situations 3) Would probably retail for something like $800 because of all the man hours needed to build them. Not good business..........
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Well, $800 is more than I'd pay for a new one - as much of a fan as I am. What kind of company is AKG? Only willing to build products that last 50 years??? Lame. ;-)
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i was wondering why i was seeing D112's on amazon new for $170, this looks good, hopefully it sounds good.
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ruston ➑️
While plots can often be misleading those do reflect the broad character of these mics. The D12VR is far closer to the D112 than the D12...and that's in passive mode.

The filter thing dips the mids in the middle position, adds low end boost to that mid dip in the left position and adds high lift to the low boost and mid dip in the right position. So while the 'VR' designation and endless use of the word vintage in the blurb might make you think that if anything you'd be able to emphasise the mids, in fact the opposite is true.

Do I think it's any good? Well, I think it's a good successor to the D112. I think it's better sonically, ergonomically, in terms of build quality etc. But whether it's any good depends on what you want it to be. If you want it to be a D12, then no, I don't think it's any good. This is where I just can't understand AKG...Why set yourselves up for unfavourable comparisons?

J
My experience of the mic is that it takes up 2 pages of posts on GS.

But in all seriousness, what you say makes it out as the inbred love-child of the D112 and the Audix D6. And that actually sounds pretty cool to me, since I actually LIKE both of those mics.
Old 11th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years

Filled in some market research form a while back about the design goals for this mic when they were developing it, and they were asking the wrong questions IMHO.

Have to hear it to find out if it sucks, though. Wonder what the deal is with the onboard electronics. Price seems well steep. I am not a great fan of the D112, either.
Old 11th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by motone ➑️
very interesting indeed - anybody heard it?
I've heard it and bought it. The best kick mick I used so far. To me it doesn't sound much like either D12 or D112. It sounds huge with great impact. Plenty of pleasant mid and bottom.
The filters are very useful even though I prefer it without.
Old 5th December 2012
Deleted 1846071
Faderix, any chance you could post some clips? I would expect it to sound good at that price, but wondering what kind of character it has. Is it boomy? Punchy and focused?
Old 6th December 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Sure!
Here's couple of clips. I made one clip without and one with the most extreme EQ setting on the mic. I also recorded the D112 so you can compare to this.

Since I need to get more of an impact than lowend and resonance righ now, I'm using a hard beater with a falamslam and put the mic inside the kick. If I got some time further on I'll do some clips for you with other heads and beater while putting the mic outside the resonance head for more lowend, and tone.

Hope this helpes for now though.

AKGD12VR_NOEQ.mp3

AKGD12VR_WEQ.mp3

AKGD112.mp3
Old 7th December 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I about crapped my pants when I read that there was a "vintage reissue" of the D12. But hearing these samples, it sounds damn close to the D112. Flabby and no low end. I've been in the market for a new kick mic and was waiting for samples of the D12VR before deciding. So now I know I'll be getting a Heil PR48. And my D112 will move over to the floor tom. Done deal!
Old 23rd December 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Sounds like the built in EQ switch gets rid of the cardboard box sound I hated in the original D112. Definitely an improvement.
Old 3rd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderix ➑️
Sure!
Here's couple of clips. I made one clip without and one with the most extreme EQ setting on the mic. I also recorded the D112 so you can compare to this.

Since I need to get more of an impact than lowend and resonance righ now, I'm using a hard beater with a falamslam and put the mic inside the kick. If I got some time further on I'll do some clips for you with other heads and beater while putting the mic outside the resonance head for more lowend, and tone.

Hope this helpes for now though.

Attachment 320135

Attachment 320136

Attachment 320137
Could you re-do the recording with slightly different setup?

1) tuned kick drum to have natural resonance in between the front and rear heads ... low tuning
2) microphone placed outside facing the rear head ... even directly on floor

Bob Gatzen - Bass Drum Tuning - YouTube

starting at 7:25 a kick drum tuned low ... controlled by player's foot

Old 9th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Heard it on T-Funk's Soundcloud, next to their M82, the D112, RE20, D6, B52, PR48, MD421 and SM91.
I definitely liked the D12VR best, in all switch positions.
Just ordered one.
Old 14th February 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I did a bunch of listening tests today.
First off: it is NOT a D12, despite the name and looks, but that's not what I expected, nor should anyone.
But the dynamic (unfiltered) tone is somewhere between the D12 (as I recall it) and the 112. Very round and wooden, more of a chesty punch than a thump in the belly. I can hear a definite nod to the 12's heritage there.
The active modes can be considered variations of the basic tone.
The simple mid cut (red) unclutters the mids somewhat, but sounds a bit bland compared to the basic tone.
Green mode adds a bass boost and seems to increase the drum's size by 4". It's not just more subs, but a natural blend of low frequencies.
The treble lift added by the blue mode is noticeable, but not overwhelming, and the frequency and width are well chosen. Not as ecky or obnoxious as in the 112, B52, SM91 or D6.
While some of these mics are pretty much limited to their own, built-in sound, the VR never sounds EQ'd and conserves the drum's natural sound.
My fave so far is the green setting. I can't wait to try it on a well-tuned and closed drum.
Tomorrow will see the 1st live test. I'm very curious how low it *really* goes.
Old 4th September 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I just got a D12VR in for review and did some simple tests inside my 22" Yamaha with a pillow and Powerstroke batter and Evans front head with hole. I'm pretty impressed with this mic. I'll be writing a review for recordinghacks.com after it's seen some session work.
Old 11th September 2014 | Show parent
bee
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Now that this Mic has been out for a while, what's everyone's take on it?
Old 11th September 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bee ➑️
Now that this Mic has been out for a while, what's everyone's take on it?
Still my go-to single kick mic for many styles from soul to metal. For recording and live.
It'll offer a lot of different tones with placement, angle and the switches.
(Go-to dual setup would be 421 +sub)
πŸ“ Reply