Quantcast
D16 Group - LuSH-101 - Page 7 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
D16 Group - LuSH-101
Old 6th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Do I have it correctly and the aliasing on that plugin analyzer starts at above 18 kHz at -infinity s/n ratio up to 22 kHz at about -40 dB? Well, if thats the case and the analyzer is right, to state that the aliasing is unacceptable is just ridiculous by a great measure. Unless you are a bat you are not going to hear this "aliasing". If you can hear anything at all around 16 kHz at -40 dB consider yourself lucky.

Apart from that I agree about crippled features modulation-wise and also 8 layers seem to be not needed. Personally Id like to see a second oscillator section per layer to do all those Jupiter/MKS80 sound with the SH filter, which is really really good as I have an original 101 by my side.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by el-folie ➡️
Do I have it correctly and the aliasing on that plugin analyzer starts at above 18 kHz at -infinity s/n ratio up to 22 kHz at about -40 dB? Well, if thats the case and the analyzer is right, to state that the aliasing is unacceptable is just ridiculous by a great measure. Unless you are a bat you are not going to hear this "aliasing". If you can hear anything at all around 16 kHz at -40 dB consider yourself lucky.

Apart from that I agree about crippled features modulation-wise and also 8 layers seem to be not needed. Personally Id like to see a second oscillator section per layer to do all those Jupiter/MKS80 sound with the SH filter, which is really really good as I have an original 101 by my side.
Strange, I could not measure any of this aliasing. What is the fundamental tone you apply?

I think the idea of this plugin is to have only one OSC (where to put the knobs for the second one, it's tiny enough, there is no room left) per layer and have individual filters for each OSC. That makes it unique. People complain about the GUI so to ADD something to the GUI seems ridiculous.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark ➡️
Strange, I could not measure any of this aliasing. What is the fundamental tone you apply?

I think the idea of this plugin is to have only one OSC (where to put the knobs for the second one, it's tiny enough, there is no room left) per layer and have individual filters for each OSC. That makes it unique. People complain about the GUI so to ADD something to the GUI seems ridiculous.
No no, you got me wrong about the aliasing. I just commented on "suntsu´s" measurements one comment before mine. I think the LUSH101 engine sounds superb, also the filter, I really really like it!

I dont think it´s ridculous to wish for a second oscillator as the traditional Roland sound is in there and would be very useful. GUI-wise there´s always a way like D16 already did with the Supersaw. Or they could make a switchable oscillator section like on DIVA for example. But I´d be fine with another plugin by D16 where they´d put in some extra features and the SH Roland sound.
Old 7th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik303 ➡️
The synth engine was set to high quality and the filter and envelopes where set to sh-101 mode.
here is a filter type setting, did you turn "SH-101" mode on ?
Stupid question, but you never know
And thanks for sharing your insights .

Santsu is somewhat right, here's a quote from D16
Quote:
Innovative oscillator algorithms developed by D16 make LuSH-101 sound exactly like a sampled hardware analog synth—but without the sampling! There is no aliasing in the oscillators, even at 22kHz from the note’s base frequency. Vibrato and pitch bend do not affect the spectral quality of the oscillators, allowing LuSH-101 to sound completely authentic under all conditions.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
@AmbientMonkey

I assume there must be some kind of misunderstanding. Well, I´ll try to make it more simple:

Suntsu said there is aliasing from 16 to 22 kHz which he considered unacceptable.

I said the aliasing is so quiet in regard to the s/n ratio and so high in frequency that no one is actually going to hear it unless you´d have ears like a bat.

Synthpark thought that I myself had done the analyzer measurement which I did not.

And you said Suntsu is somewhat right.

But about what? D16 say there is no aliasing, Suntsu says there is. And I say yes it is, but it´s dead quiet so what.

So maybe I´m the one who doesn´t get it?

Old 7th November 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Hence, somewhat, because you can't hear it at that range and level, so it's somewhat irrelevant, but since D16 claims, that there's no aliasing, even at 22kHz and Sanstu proved it otherwise he's somewhat right in that respect. By somewhat I meant, "a little bit right "
It's nice of him, what he took his time and analysed it and raised his concerns.
So Santsu concerns are somewhat valid, as it gives you something to consider, like whether those issues are relevant for you or not.
I've recently read Diva review on SOS, so if they gonna review lush like that, then they can go fk themselves with such reviews, I can go and read a description on dev's website about his product myself
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by el-folie ➡️
I dont think it´s ridculous to wish for a second oscillator as the traditional Roland sound is in there and would be very useful.
Agreed.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Agreed & got it
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbientMonkey ➡️
here is a filter type setting, did you turn "SH-101" mode on ?
Stupid question, but you never know
And thanks for sharing your insights .

Santsu is somewhat right, here's a quote from D16
It's not a stupid question at all
Yes, I had the SH-101 mode on. The same one that the finger is pointing on the screenshot.
Old 28th November 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
oops, bumped wrong thread
Old 12th December 2012
Gear Addict

104 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I created a non-sanctioned user review for LuSH-101. I hope you find it useful or at least entertaining!

LuSH-101 is a thick, juicy, versatile synth that derives its lushness from multilayers and state of the art synthesis features (oscillators, filters, envelopes, etc.) and effects. D-16 Group has an uncanny knack for developing unique and inspiring audio plugins, and LuSH is no exception. It is a flexible and fantastic virtual audio instrument. I've always been a D-16 fan, enjoying their sound, features, and product names. When they first changed the name of this synth from Shioitor to LuSH I was worried that they were selling out . . . breaking away from their cutting edge, dare-to-be-different ways, but soon after launching this thing I smiled — LuSH is the perfect name for this VSTi. They also could have called it, abundant, delicious, dense, heavenly, lavish, or voluptuous. :-). It's certainly the opposite of bare or sparse.

LuSH not only sounds good, but it looks good. I'm a visual guy, and the interface means a lot to me. This GUI is easy on the eyes and a pleasure to work within. Everything is in the right place and is the right size for inspirational tweaking. If you don't have time to create something from scratch, there are more than a thousand well thought out and designed presets in the factory library that you can adjust to taste. The preset browser is intuitive and user-friendly. Like all D-16 Group plugins, LuSH has it's own personality. It's diverse and capable of doing tracks for any kind of electronic music, whether it be alternative, ambient, dubstep, drum and bass, house, industrial, new wave, retro, second wave, soundtrack, or techno. There aren't that many synths that can produce both warm analog sounds and a crisp clear digital sounds. LuSH can!

Is this the only synth you will need? It could be, but of course if you are like me you will want more! I wouldn’t let go of my other favorites. If I could change one thing about it — I would make CPU demand more efficient. It's too heavy a load for one synth, but then again . . . it's 8 synths in 1, so it's not bad at all, is it? The price is good. The customer support is great. The sound is wonderful. I give LuSH five stars. Thank you D-16 for creating another masterpiece!
Old 12th December 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Overpriced!
Old 13th December 2012 | Show parent
mfx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stixman ➡️
Overpriced!
There's a winter sale on 30% discount of all products including Lush 101 pretty tempted now :

http://www.d16.pl/index.php?menu=3

Quote:
Due to Winter Sale all prices at our online shop has been discounted by 30%. This promotion lasts till the January 15th, 2013.
Old 14th December 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfx ➡️
There's a winter sale on 30% discount of all products including Lush 101 pretty tempted now :

D16 Group Audio Software - Beyond Perfection - Online Shop
Nice. My discount for LuSH-101, as a loyal coustomer was 15%, If I'm not wrong...

I hope they do CPU improvments of this great sounding VSTi.
Old 6th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
You can automate Lush in Live. I found how via the D16 forums:

Quote:
A bit of a quirk for automating LuSH-101 parameters in Ableton Live- in addition to putting the parameter that you'd like to automate on the parameter list, you then need to add it to the Live Panel for LuSH-101. Hit "configure" and move the parameter - if it's on the parameter list, then it should appear on the Live Panel. Now you can automate it. Just wanted to leave a quick tip for anyone else working with this excellent new instrument in Live.
Original post
Old 10th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I do find CPU usage unacceptable.

I have a MacBook Pro dual i7 that runs patches in Diva in draft mode no problem but the draft (or whatever mode it's called) in lush on most patches cripples my machine in both Logic 9.1.8 & Cubase 7.0.1 as a sole plugin.

Ok it's not the most powerful computer in the world but I can run diva in higher modes on a lot of patches and the multi threaded option really lowers CPU usage again, then I can render in best.

I use diva as a comparison because that is the only other plugin that uses such a high level of CPU but they've obviously got it sussed. D-16 FAQ claims its the job of the daw, but why would u-he incorporate such a feature that actually works if that were the case entirely?

Having a mini moan as I purchased some patches earlier and they're unusable on my machine, as nice as they sound!

Old 14th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Yes. Im not use LuSH in my projects because of cpu hog. For my workflow using it its waste of time and money.

Wys?ane z mojego X10i za pomoc? Tapatalk
Old 14th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've no problem running multiple instances of LuSH on an Macbook Pro i7, but I'm using it for somewhat simple sounds. That's where I think it excels. For more complicated sounds I use other synths.
Old 14th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioprojekt ➡️
Yes. Im not use LuSH in my projects because of cpu hog. For my workflow using it its waste of time and money.
I was tempted to buy it while the special was on but decided to hold off until I have a more powerful computer as cpu usage was just too high.
Old 16th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Had a go at the demo today:

Sounds great and I think has huge potential!

Problems:

- Too CPU hungry! I bet its down to lazy coding.

- Can't link the filters! That just makes in unusable for too many things.

- GUI too small. Some parameters are hardly readable.

If those things get fixed I will buy it.
Old 16th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Oh, and MAC 64 bit. I think it's about time now that it becomes a standard.
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioprojekt ➡️
For my workflow using it its waste of time and money.

Pink Floyd took a year even more to make an album of 6 songs, so if you make 100 ****ty songs a year and all of them containing **** load of tracks, I bet it ends up sounding like your description
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg
Too CPU hungry! I bet its down to lazy coding.
It's down to quality, each layer acts like separate instance, lfos can go into audio range with keytrack enabled, resonance sounds fantastic, and I bet you still won't understand, that each layer acts like separate instance
Playing 8 layers = Playing 8 Divas, simply reconsider your 100 tracks a project approach, Pink Floyd, Kraftwerk, Apthex Twin, Depeche Mode(even I don't like DP) pulled off with less
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
mfx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I really want to get into Lush, any pointers for getting some non standard sounds out of this chap. Not had a proper play yet so may be a naive and somewhat premature request grabbed it during the sale and not given it a chance yet.

I'm after some ideas and pointers. What I want to achieve is some original presets that are not the run of the mill 'analogue emus' and so on? More modern progressive sounds?

Thanks
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You could layer as many sounds as your cpu can handle with the layer feature. Other than that, the features are quite common. Except maybe some of the fx could give you more experimental stuff, the vowel filter for example.
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbientMonkey ➡️
simply reconsider your 100 tracks a project approach
No need to be defensive dude but if it doesnt fit my workflow it isnt for me.

I like the several layer approach, however they havent thought it through. A simple filter automation would have to be repeated on each layer as you can't link them up.

It either needs a link function or a master filter.
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfx ➡️
I really want to get into Lush, any pointers for getting some non standard sounds out of this chap. Not had a proper play yet so may be a naive and somewhat premature request grabbed it during the sale and not given it a chance yet.

I'm after some ideas and pointers. What I want to achieve is some original presets that are not the run of the mill 'analogue emus' and so on? More modern progressive sounds?

Thanks
Try my free presets and see if you like them, pick them apart, it's a great way to learn.

Sound Sets - Aiyn Zahev-Sounds Just scroll down a bit.

Sami
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg ➡️
Had a go at the demo today:

Sounds great and I think has huge potential!

Problems:

- Too CPU hungry! I bet its down to lazy coding.

- Can't link the filters! That just makes in unusable for too many things.

- GUI too small. Some parameters are hardly readable.

If those things get fixed I will buy it.
i tried it too

for my taste it is best sounding soft synth ever,and imo beats diva,but its just my taste...

BUT

cpu usage is tragic,and i am not going to purchase full version because it is unaceptable,i doubt NASA have computers that would be able to use it comfortable. If they fix it let me know...
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacperson ➡️
i tried it too

for my taste it is best sounding soft synth ever,and imo beats diva,but its just my taste...

BUT

cpu usage is tragic,and i am not going to purchase full version because it is unaceptable,i doubt NASA have computers that would be able to use it comfortable. If they fix it let me know...

+ 1. I'll wait until 2060 so I can find a computer fast enough to run this synth.
Old 4th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Agree. I think they need to release another sound bank with "light" cpu version of presets and categorise presets menu as "light" and "normal" cpu usage. If I like sound start arrange. When its done switch to normal, bounce or freeze, then mix tracks.

Wys?ane z mojego X10i za pomoc? Tapatalk
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It is not a matter of presets,it is coding and the way this synth is created. Diva was able to reduce cpu apetite,so can lush,it is a matter of will and hard work,if they wont do it they gonna lose a lot of potential customers . And this synth really sounds great,love all the modules,reverb,delay ,everything,but whats the point of it when it is useless unless you join 5 nasa computers to play single note
📝 Reply