Quantcast
D16 Group - LuSH-101 - Page 6 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
D16 Group - LuSH-101
Old 20th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I made a small test with the different modes.

A supersaw arp, automated filter cutoff, reso and env.

1) Filter mode SH101, env retrig mode SH101, quality HIGH
2) Filter mode NORMAL, env retrig mode NORMAL, quality HIGH
3) Filter mode NORMAL, env retrig mode NORMAL, quality NORMAL

You can hear that the resonance is completely different when SH101 modes are on. It still kind of swallows the bottom end, but it's completely different to NORMAL mode which to me is unusable. The sound disappears totally when it's on.

I think the supersaw and filters sound pretty good. Even the fx are really great, this has reverb and dly from lush itself.

You can download the wav if you want from my soundcloud page, but I will delete this in a few days.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The SH101 filter mode will eat the bottom. Try with quality high, env retrig 101 and normal filter.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Try adding the decimator insert effect, then turn up the preamp. That brings a whole lot of bottom end back without causing the resonance to suffer
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Geek ➑️
The SH101 filter mode will eat the bottom. Try with quality high, env retrig 101 and normal filter.
Well I don't know. With normal filter it sounds much quieter if you turn up the resonance. You can see it even in the waveforms, it dips more when filter is set to normal.
Old 22nd October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I never owned a Roland hardware synth, but I "grew up" as a producer when JP8000 was the (trance) machine with supersaw etc. I was a Novation owner and I can recognize a Novation sound pretty well.

Now that I've played with LuSH-101 I sort of recognize a sound that I've heard in countless of songs. Not the exact sound, but the same vibe.

Is there such thing as a Roland sound? Even tho JP80x0 is a virtual analog and SH-101 was analog. Am I imagining things or do they sound a bit similar? It feels very different to Novation or Access which I've used. Kind of thin (not the correct word possibly), but sits in the mix pretty easy.
Old 22nd October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
1. CPU hog

2. GUI is big but the text hard to read

3. Sounds quite nice
Old 23rd October 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Some morning acid jam
All luSH-101, except drums ( no presets, drums programmed), no post processing of any kind at all, just differed to 16bits

Old 23rd October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
D16 is clearly listening, they've announced a development plan for LuSH.

D16 Group Audio Software - Beyond Perfection - LuSH-101
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondwave ➑️

This is a good thing. IMO LuSH got not the expected positive feedback they expected. They also prolong the validity period of coupon codes to January 2013.
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

Good, I got the feeling they are serious about this. And so they should be. They have already worked on it for years and it's going to pay off imo. To our benefit.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav ➑️
Good, I got the feeling they are serious about this. And so they should be. They have already worked on it for years and it's going to pay off imo. To our benefit.

yep. And I hope those upgrades don't take another year to by release

🎧 10 years
Pesky Cpu (70+% on a hexacore) is stopping me throwing cash at d16 - The sound is stunning - probably need a new word/expletive just to describe the top end clarity of this things.... The supersaws sound like my ears are being blasted with streams of fine talc - partically perfect.
Old 23rd October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I'm loving this synth and I just made this quick Kraftwerk cover just using LuSH-101, check it out!

Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergman ➑️
I'm loving this synth and I just made this quick Kraftwerk cover just using LuSH-101, check it out!

Sweet - sounds good, man!
Old 1st November 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
its sounds really crisp and clear to me wow. never heard something like this out of a VST!

but I tried the demo. Its high quality brings my cpu down to its knees ^^ need definitely an upgrade!

whats better 4 cores but high clock or 8 cores and lower clock on the cpu?
Old 1st November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
for playing stuff in real time, a higher clock rate will be better.
For more tracks per song multiple cores are better (assuming you can get even one instance of the VI playing )
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiyn zahav ➑️
good, i got the feeling they are serious about this. And so they should be. They have already worked on it for years and it's going to pay off imo. To our benefit.
that s a ****in good demo track aiyn ....

Peace

mordicus
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Simple to do (annoucement) but excellent thing to give direct infos to costumers (and potential ones) !! hats off for D16 for this ....

I would be happy to see a D16 guy here to give us info on the cpu usage as i doubt it's fully multithread ....(kinda like DIVA at its begining ) ...under than that as i have read GUI update .....i'm cooling
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sold... sounds amazing!
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I'm awaiting version 1.1 or something before I drop any cash on this. There's just too many issues with it right now.
Old 3rd November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORDICUS ➑️
that s a ****in good demo track aiyn ....

Peace

mordicus
Thanks bud!
Old 4th November 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I just recently borrowed an sh-101 from a friend of mine because I wanted to compare it to the new D16 plugin. I used to own two 101's and one 202 in the past and just going by my (rusty) memory I would have said that D16 nailed the sound. But I can't trust my memory too much and I had to do some A/B tests so I could get tame down my curiosity.

OSC:
I did many A/B tests between the software and hardware and I think that D16 managed to copy the sound of the oscillator perfectly. That includes the amazing PWM too. I am happy to see that it's possible to make the same PWM in the software form.
I didn't hear any aliasing at 96khz but I don't know how it is with 44.1khz samplerate.
I am definitely perfectly pleased with the Lush-101 oscillators with the samplerate I am using.

ENV:
One of my favourite things about the original 101 is it's envelopes. It's so easy to make good basses and kicks with the it. To my ears Lush-101 delivers in this area.
I think that it's possible that Lush-101 has more range with the envelopes because I had to set the sliders quite different to get the same sound. But in the end I always managed to get the sound of hardware out of the software too.
Only difference I heard in the envelopes was that the the hardware specimen I had in my hands had more clicking with fast attacks. But I actually preferred the envelopes of Lush-101 because of this difference. Another point for the Lush-101 goes for the absense of the noise floor. I don't care much for artifacts because I like the freedom of adding them later if I want to do so.

VCF
Most of my listening tests were filter related because I have found out that the filter is what I care about most in the analog synths. The filter in lush-101 is not perfected IMO. Filter is the part of Lush-101 that needs the most improvement if D16 wants it to be a perfect replacement for the 101. Most patches that I recreated with Lush101 sounded pretty much the same to the hardware except the ones that had high resonance WITH high cutoff frequency. If the resonance was high but cutoff was below something like 50% (?) it sounded the same. I find it a bit unfortunate that Lush-101 doesn't deliver where I was looking to use it the most which is high resonance acid sounds. Some of the high resonance sounds just sounded weaker on Lush-101. I don't know how to explain it better. But this is the way it is for me with softsynths. One more thing I criticize about the filter is the low resolution. I don't like to hear filter stepping when I adjust the slider manually. Why software developers give their plugins such low resolutions in this day and ages is beyond my understanding. It's 2012 not 1982!

I am on the fence in whether I should buy Lush-101 or not because I am not fully pleased with the filter. I also find it a bit strange to give a synth 8 layers while the amount of modulators (+ sources and destionations) are kept pretty minimal. Even one or two layer is enough if the modulation is as simple as it is atm.

Modulation possibilities is where digital excel, yet not many products take advantage of it.
Old 4th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Did you switch the filter to Sh-101 mode?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomfist ➑️
whats better 4 cores but high clock or 8 cores and lower clock on the cpu?
higher clock
OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik303 ➑️
One more thing I criticize about the filter is the low resolution. I don't like to hear filter stepping when I adjust the slider manually. Why software developers give their plugins such low resolutions in this day and ages is beyond my understanding. It's 2012 not 1982!
Every synth devs should take notice of this!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Why software developers give their plugins such low resolutions in this day and ages is beyond my understanding. It's 2012 not 1982!
I can't hear any stepping when I adjust the slider, but could this just be the case of how the knob is calibrated to mouse movement? If you adjust the slider with cmd-pressed, it moves much less.

If you move something on screen a certain amount of pixels, I'm guessing you need to adjust the value to that?

I don't know, just an idea.
Old 4th November 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
just make an automated filter fade in the song make it 6 or more bars long that its moving in small increments...

the problem is not the VA Synth but the digital input method ^^
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbinns ➑️
Did you switch the filter to Sh-101 mode?
The synth engine was set to high quality and the filter and envelopes where set to sh-101 mode.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I can't hear any stepping when I adjust the slider, but could this just be the case of how the knob is calibrated to mouse movement? If you adjust the slider with cmd-pressed, it moves much less.

If you move something on screen a certain amount of pixels, I'm guessing you need to adjust the value to that?

I don't know, just an idea.
Thank you for the tip. I will try this later.
Old 6th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I didn't hear any aliasing at 96khz but I don't know how it is with 44.1khz samplerate.
I am definitely perfectly pleased with the Lush-101 oscillators with the samplerate I am using.
There is aliasing at 44.1kHz which is unacceptable considering the fact that even some free synth are alias free...

Quote:
The filter in lush-101 is not perfected IMO. Filter is the part of Lush-101 that needs the most improvement if D16 wants it to be a perfect replacement for the 101. Most patches that I recreated with Lush101 sounded pretty much the same to the hardware except the ones that had high resonance WITH high cutoff frequency. If the resonance was high but cutoff was below something like 50% (?) it sounded the same. I find it a bit unfortunate that Lush-101 doesn't deliver where I was looking to use it the most which is high resonance acid sounds. Some of the high resonance sounds just sounded weaker on Lush-101. I don't know how to explain it better. But this is the way it is for me with softsynths. One more thing I criticize about the filter is the low resolution. I don't like to hear filter stepping when I adjust the slider manually. Why software developers give their plugins such low resolutions in this day and ages is beyond my understanding. It's 2012 not 1982!
The filter is like the soul of a synth and I totally agree with you... The filter is good but has nothing "revolutionary" or "exceptional"...

Quote:
I am on the fence in whether I should buy Lush-101 or not because I am not fully pleased with the filter. I also find it a bit strange to give a synth 8 layers while the amount of modulators (+ sources and destionations) are kept pretty minimal. Even one or two layer is enough if the modulation is as simple as it is atm.
Yes indeed, IMHO it's a questionable feature in term of usefulness...

Finally ! Someone that's not blinded by the marketing campaign

Rekkerd 9/10
kvraudio.com 9/10
Waveformless 10/10
Etc...

No one noticed the aliasing that occurs at 44.1kHz...

I couldn't make A/B tests like yours but here is my review : LuSH-101 Review
πŸ“ Reply