Quantcast
D16 Group - LuSH-101 - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
D16 Group - LuSH-101
Old 19th October 2012
  #121
Lives for gear
 
andivax's Avatar
1) cpu hog. 2) up/down arrows not worked in preset browser. 3) only one insert fx at a time. 4) i can't edit parameters (f.e. cutoff) for all layers (no LINK button), 5) GUI is soooo small!!! 6) mod matrix is ok but right click on any parameter and setup it for using in matrix would be better and faster. 7) not many presets in demo version.


Also i want 1) various curve types for mod matrix (not only linear but various exponents). 2) programmable sequencer with 2-4 definable mod parameters (like in DSI synths sequencer). 3) Frequency modulation 4) ring modulation (in mixer like in ARP synth..

Anyway, it is good synth ))
Old 19th October 2012 | Show parent
  #122
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
I was looking at some youtube videos of SH101 and tried to do similar stuff with LuSH-101. I'm a bit puzzled by the filter reso affecting the volume.

I play a square note at 100 % volume and it's peaking at around -13. I filter it with a small envelope to get some punch, it drops to -15. Adding resonance drops the overall volume to below -20.

All of the bottom end is lost with resonance, but looking at the youtube demos of originals, they sound really fat and punchy even with resonance applied.
Attached Files

lushexample.mp3 (190.5 KB, 1094 views)

Old 19th October 2012
  #123
Lives for gear
 
4damind's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Maybe that some guys will like Lush more than Diva. Anyway, there are some points for the next updates I would add to this list a "economy" mode because CPU usage seems to be a big point for many users (for me too).
Old 19th October 2012 | Show parent
  #124
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav ➑️
Yes do. I'll share mine:

Hey man that's great! From 2:51 - 3:32, is that melody taken from somewhere? It sounds a super hit! You should make a tune out of it
Old 19th October 2012 | Show parent
  #125
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav ➑️
Great, Im happy you liked it.


Well it's 320 kbp/s so it aint too bad. But I'll send you a wave file, I'll share it with you on soundcloud. Just maybe not right now, give me a day or so.

It was a lot of fun doing these sounds, I've had more fun on Lush than I've had in a while.

It's all the things I don't have to think of like "oh.. how am I going to get this to sound a bit snappier?" or larger, or rougher. Everything is right there as I need it and it works.

Tbh there is so much neat stuff going on the front page that I haven't felt a strong need for a mod matrix. I made about 80 sounds for this commercial soundset release without any extensive mod matrix and I never once missed it.

Knowing d16, I bet there have more up their sleeve for the future too
I agree on what you say. It has a sound that I did not hear from any other plugin yet. I used to have quite some old Roland synths (including the SH-101 and JP-8000) and the sound reminds me of them, so maybe that's why I like it so much.
Old 19th October 2012 | Show parent
  #126
Lives for gear
 
Aiyn Zahav's Avatar
 
11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4damind ➑️
Maybe that some guys will like Lush more than Diva. Anyway, there are some points for the next updates I would add to this list a "economy" mode because CPU usage seems to be a big point for many users (for me too).
There is a lower quality mode. You set it in the options.
Old 19th October 2012 | Show parent
  #127
Lives for gear
 
Aiyn Zahav's Avatar
 
11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by satak ➑️
Hey man that's great! From 2:51 - 3:32, is that melody taken from somewhere? It sounds a super hit! You should make a tune out of it
Yes I think about that. But when will I have time?

It's original. I am thinking of including the midi in the released soundbank.
Old 19th October 2012 | Show parent
  #128
Gear Addict
 
Motion's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Software

Congratulations to D16.Totally awesome synth.I find the LUSH-101 very groovy and musical.Amazing resolution and clarity I also notice in the sound.Beast!
Old 19th October 2012 | Show parent
  #129
Here for the gear
 
Fenny's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
fiddly fiddly gui with a nicely rendered but useless gui keyboard.

Top sound tho.
Old 19th October 2012 | Show parent
  #130
Quote:
Originally Posted by andivax ➑️
1) cpu hog.
Not in my case (i5 750).

Quote:
2) up/down arrows not worked in preset browser.
Thewy work for me, when browser has focus (Win7, Reaper 64)

Quote:
4) i can't edit parameters (f.e. cutoff) for all layers (no LINK button),
Yes, that's annoying.

But: It REALLY sounds like hardware (as far as I remember my playing on real SH-101). Truly fat and razor-sharp Roland sound. I love it, love it, love it! . and prefer it over Diva (which is one of the greatest softsynths anyway).
Old 19th October 2012 | Show parent
  #131
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Got it yesterday and have been building a couple of tracks with it. Love the sound - the filters and envelopes are very snappy, and I've managed to get some really nice sounds out of it. But, it is a CPU hog for sure, and it regularly crashes Logic (9.1.7) on OSX 10.6.8

Logic is there one second and *poof* gone the next. Hope they can get that sorted - I can't seem to reproduce the crashes reliably as yet, but I sent off some crash reports to D16. It usually crashes when a track is playing and I tweak parameters like cutoff, envelopes, resonance, etc.

Running on a dual 8-core Mac Pro with 32GB RAM, I'm seeing CPU spikes that I've never seen on any of my other plugins, including D-CAM, u-he ACE and others.
Old 19th October 2012 | Show parent
  #132
Gear Head
 
Kaden's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andivax ➑️
1) cpu hog. 5) GUI is soooo small!!!
1. Yes high usage CPU

5.strongly disagree I hate large plugin GUI, even if I have two monitors 2600 x 1600
Old 19th October 2012 | Show parent
  #133
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacker ➑️
Got it yesterday and have been building a couple of tracks with it. Love the sound - the filters and envelopes are very snappy, and I've managed to get some really nice sounds out of it. But, it is a CPU hog for sure, and it regularly crashes Logic (9.1.7) on OSX 10.6.8

Logic is there one second and *poof* gone the next. Hope they can get that sorted - I can't seem to reproduce the crashes reliably as yet, but I sent off some crash reports to D16. It usually crashes when a track is playing and I tweak parameters like cutoff, envelopes, resonance, etc.

Running on a dual 8-core Mac Pro with 32GB RAM, I'm seeing CPU spikes that I've never seen on any of my other plugins, including D-CAM, u-he ACE and others.
Slightly out of topic, but I was running exact same setup (with 16MB tho and 32bit), switched away from Logic because I started getting so many bugs that developers probably overlook because the setup is so old. The combination of 10.6.8 + AU + Logic 32bit has been found out to be a problem in many of my bug reports.
Old 19th October 2012 | Show parent
  #134
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Maybe the high cpu usage is related to the DAW? I used Presonus Studio One 2 x64 for my test (which used 8% for the Calm Pad preset on a low spec AMD triple core machine).

So it might be interesting to know the DAW used by those having cpu spikes.
Old 19th October 2012 | Show parent
  #135
Lives for gear
 
andivax's Avatar
Analog Synths Filters Comparison by AndiVaxMASTERING on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I've tried to tune all instruments resonances to sounds the same (of course 101, juno 60 and DSI filters should sound different).
For me, LUSH is most closest instrument to hardware.
Old 19th October 2012 | Show parent
  #136
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondwave ➑️
Slightly out of topic, but I was running exact same setup (with 16MB tho and 32bit), switched away from Logic because I started getting so many bugs that developers probably overlook because the setup is so old. The combination of 10.6.8 + AU + Logic 32bit has been found out to be a problem in many of my bug reports.
Yeah, I can see running 32-bit with bridge might be an issue, but I run Logic in 64-bit mode. Logic is due for an update, true enough. Still, I don't encounter this kind of hard crash too often. I submitted crash reports, so hopefully I'll get an indication of what the problem is some time soon. Starting to think about moving back to PC land for music if Apple doesn't show some signs of updating Logic soon. But that's another story... lol.
Old 19th October 2012 | Show parent
  #137
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andivax ➑️
Analog Synths Filters Comparison by AndiVaxMASTERING on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I've tried to tune all instruments resonances to sounds the same (of course 101, juno 60 and DSI filters should sound different).
For me, LUSH is most closest instrument to hardware.
Which one is which, you had five "sequences", but four names for them?
Old 19th October 2012 | Show parent
  #138
Lives for gear
 
jalcide's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
i actually like the small, tight gui. why does that sound dirty?

the only thing i don't like about it is the lack of consitent and pixel-perfect fonts. the small size is okay if you do a perfect, crisp anti-aliased/aliased hybrid by hand. the designer that did the font work doesn't understand these concepts.

for example, they got the "E" in "SETT." looking crisp and readable with sub-pixel consideration, but then the same "E" in "SAVE AS" on the button near it looks different, fuzzy, not clear.

they made the exact same mistake (same font and size) in Drumazon. you can see it in the "E" in "PASTE" v.s. "E" in "CLEAR".

if you're gonna do a font that small, fine, it can work, but you need to pay attention to how the font renders at a sub-pixel level -- under a microscrope.

in their defense, most plugin designers miss this.
Old 19th October 2012 | Show parent
  #139
Lives for gear
 
andivax's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondwave ➑️
Which one is which, you had five "sequences", but four names for them?
4 short demos and 4 long demos )))
Old 19th October 2012
  #140
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Just went across this, great advice :

Quote:
Once I'd changed the quality setting to high, the envelope behaviour to SH-101 and most importantly of all there's a little switch in the filter section to change it's character to SH-101. All of a sudden I found I was able to program sounds very similar to those I'm able to get out of my hardware 101. Yes the CPU hit is big but for for my money worth every cycle.
Old 19th October 2012
  #141
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
I used it last night in logic created a quick 8 track loop and went crazy with the rmx1000 on the output! Nice work D16 group...
Old 19th October 2012 | Show parent
  #142
Lives for gear
 
scruffydog's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Just dropped this....like!
so far so good in Logic 9.1.7 OS 10.6.8.
love the little mixer with E.Q and FX!
also love the musical response of the synthesis page.
better than the real thing?
definitely seeing as how mines in the loft rather the worse for wear!

The c.p.u hit for a basic bass type sound with FX and the quality set to high and e.r.m set to SH101 seems acceptably low to me.
(less than 1/4 of a core on my dual4 2.4)
Old 20th October 2012
  #143
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Just tried it ...gui small , and multi core ability is wak ...it mainly taxes the first thread speacially on preset changes ...they need to balance the thread use and make it real mutli thread ....(maybe there's an option for that ?)

will test more this week end ...
Old 20th October 2012
  #144
Gear Addict
 
studioprojekt's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➑️
Just tried it ...gui small , and multi core ability is wak ...it mainly taxes the first thread speacially on preset changes ...they need to balance the thread use and make it real mutli thread ....(maybe there's an option for that ?)

will test more this week end ...
Great! Will wait for your opinion and...video tutorial ! I like your videos.

Wys?ane z mojego X10i
Old 20th October 2012 | Show parent
  #145
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaden ➑️
1. Yes high usage CPU

5.strongly disagree I hate large plugin GUI, even if I have two monitors 2600 x 1600
The GUI itself is quite large (about the same size as Diva, actually) - it's the actual design of the GUI that is the problem. For one, that huge keyboard uses up 1/3 of the screen estate while serving no purpose for most users. Everything else is kind of cramped together and cluttered, the text is small and hard to read.

From a user interface perspective, trying to design something with the exact appearance of a hardware unit isn't ideal. Trying to emulate reflections, shadows etc. is just silly. A computer user interface should be clear and easy to read and should allow you to do what you want to achieve with a minimum of keystrokes and clicks. The computer screen and mouse have different limitations and advantages compared to a hardware unit.
Old 20th October 2012 | Show parent
  #146
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmiG ➑️
The GUI itself is quite large (about the same size as Diva, actually) - it's the actual design of the GUI that is the problem. For one, that huge keyboard uses up 1/3 of the screen estate while serving no purpose for most users. Everything else is kind of cramped together and cluttered, the text is small and hard to read.

From a user interface perspective, trying to design something with the exact appearance of a hardware unit isn't ideal. Trying to emulate reflections, shadows etc. is just silly. A computer user interface should be clear and easy to read and should allow you to do what you want to achieve with a minimum of keystrokes and clicks. The computer screen and mouse have different limitations and advantages compared to a hardware unit.
Yep Jimmiy you just added what i was to point out ...

When i said the gui is small the excact thing is "the controls" are two small

When you design a software , unlike Hardware , your on the the free land !!!

options ?

Pages , quick control mod (with fewer but crucial one) , resisable gui ect .....

There's a lot of way to improve it ....the first contact is kinda "agressive" to me and so i'm not in the mudd of creativity unlike some like Diva , ElectraX , Saurus even Blade with it's simplified mod !

Sonicaly , this is something interesting and fresh .....
Old 20th October 2012 | Show parent
  #147
Tui
Gear Guru
 
Tui's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Yes, the controls are too small.

The keyboard can be useful if you quickly need to check the sound without a physical keyboard attached, however it should be possible to hide the GUI keyboard like with Kontakt, for example.
Old 20th October 2012
  #148
Gear Nut
 
ZenPunkHippy's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I posted this over at KVR after making some comments the plugin sounds very close to the original SH-101. Figured some of you might be interested!

The file compares the basic oscillators: saw, square and square sub-oscillator and mostly focuses on the bass. Towards the end there are some filter sweeps using envelope to cutoff. With and without resonance.



Download the original WAV file if you want better quality.

The 2 sounds at the start are both synths playing together to show that they're in tune. After that we alternate between each synth playing the same pattern. The SH-101 is sequenced via the CV inputs using the Sequentix Cirklon, which is sending the same pattern to Logic via USB MIDI.

I could have spent more time tweaking both the hardware and software for a more precisely matched filter envelope sweeps. The levels are not 100% matched for hardware and software, but close enough that you can make a judgement for yourself.

Some things I noticed while setting this up ...

There is a little bit more punch at note on with the real SH-101. The bass is a little bit more present with certain settings, particularly the very low notes. The filter sweeps are pretty close but not perfectly accurate. WIth the resonance turned up the bass is more obvious with the real 101.

Worth noting that from the starting point I had to make minor adjustments to the CV pitch amount sent to the SH-101 a total of 3 times to keep it in tune.

I also spent some time setting up Diva to see how close it could get. It's definitely capable of the same or very similar sounds and of course it sounds excellent. However, the interface is different enough to make copying sounds more time consuming.

The great thing about LuSH-101 is that it's basically a one-to-one copy of the SH-101 interface, so finding the same sound or just tweaking out while playing is very intuitive (for me, since I'm in familiar territory). As I mentioned earlier in the thread there are some minor differences e.g. the envelope decay and amount would be positioned slightly differently to get the same sound but it's hardly a complaint.

This might be because my SH-101 is in dire need of a service. The pulse width and PWM on the SH-101 has not worked since I purchased it 2nd hand.

The real thing sounds a bit "phatter" and that is of course a nice thing to have, but it's not something that bothers me a lot. The plugin has proved itself to be more than capable of being an excellent SH-101 emulation. The extra features take it to another level altogether.

Peace,
Andy.
Old 20th October 2012 | Show parent
  #149
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondwave ➑️
I was looking at some youtube videos of SH101 and tried to do similar stuff with LuSH-101. I'm a bit puzzled by the filter reso affecting the volume.

I play a square note at 100 % volume and it's peaking at around -13. I filter it with a small envelope to get some punch, it drops to -15. Adding resonance drops the overall volume to below -20.

All of the bottom end is lost with resonance, but looking at the youtube demos of originals, they sound really fat and punchy even with resonance applied.
Well, if anyone is puzzled by this behaviour, I found the cause and cure. You need to switch filter mode to SH-101 instead of Normal. It makes a huge difference.

There are a few default options that should definately be different. First the layer volume is really low and second the filter mode should definately be SH-101 by default.

Thanks to K-Slash for pointing this out in the earlier post. I thought the filter mode and envelope trigger mode in settings was the same thing, but it sure is not.

This may very well be a deciding factor if I'll purchase or not.
Old 20th October 2012 | Show parent
  #150
monad
Guest
It sounds quite nice, I must say.
I do miss, though, a "master filter" section, a few big knobs or sliders at the front panel that would control the basic, common filter parameters, all at once, for all layers, as from how they're all relatively set - a global cutoff, resonance and envelope intensity, for example.

I agree that the GUI, even though large, feels a bit fiddly at use, mostly because of the unnecessarily small text in some areas.

I'd also like to see a "full quality at render" option (unless i'm not seeing it and it's there?).
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 211 views: 29869
Avatar for chronmaster
chronmaster 28th November 2012
replies: 130 views: 22725
Avatar for ohmicide
ohmicide 27th July 2013
replies: 90 views: 18405
Avatar for raymondwave
raymondwave 9th November 2015
replies: 307 views: 58872
Avatar for H_Blaster
H_Blaster 25th June 2021
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump