Focusrite 2i4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focusrite 2i4
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Focusrite 2i4

Focusrite 2i4 announced couple of minutes ago.

Specifications:
  • 2 in / 4 out USB audio interface
  • 96 KHz, 24-bit conversion
  • 2 Focusrite microphone preamplifiers
  • Red anodised aluminium unibody chassis
  • Front panel
  • 2 line/mic/instrument combination inputs - Neutrik XLR/ ¼ “ TRS Jack Combo
  • 2 line/inst switches
  • 2 illuminating “PAD” buttons
  • 2 Gain knobs
  • 2 Gain halo signal indicators
  • 48V Phantom power switch
  • MIDI activity LED indicator
  • USB connection LED indicator
  • “DIRECT MONITOR” control
  • “STEREO/MONO” switch for direct monitor
  • Large monitor level dial (controls headphone and line level outputs)
  • Headphone output - ¼” TRS Jack
  • Headphone level knob
  • “HEADPHONE SOURCE” switch
  • Rear panel
  • 2 balanced monitor outputs – TRS (channels 1-2)
  • 4 unbalanced outputs – RCA Phono (channels 1-4)
  • MIDI IO
  • USB 2.0 Port
  • Kensington Lock slot

Included software:
  • Ableton Live Lite 8
  • Focusrite Scarlett plug-in suite
  • Novation Bass Station
  • Loopmasters content
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Nice new features, i hope it's close to the price of 2i2.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LR4aZuzhJnc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Ugh. Just bought a 2i2. Can I trade up?

The direct monitor knob is so much nicer than the on/off switch. And I could definitely use the RCA outs.
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Bus powered eh?
Old 14th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
How much money ?
Old 28th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hey, Scarlett 2i4 is being sold in some places already. Can someone tell me something? I want to know if it's cool to buy a product that has just came out or is it better to wait until people review it? I mean, I live in Brazil, so I can't get it around here, I have to buy in US and then ship it to my country, so I'll have difficulties in case of malfunction or anything like that. Have you guys experienced problems with new products?

Thank you.
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsound ➡️
Nice new features, i hope it's close to the price of 2i2.
Musicians Friend has it for $199.00 U.S., so it's bacically $50.00 more for unbal/RCA outs and midi.
Old 5th October 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltudc ➡️
Hey, Scarlett 2i4 is being sold in some places already. Can someone tell me something? I want to know if it's cool to buy a product that has just came out or is it better to wait until people review it? I mean, I live in Brazil, so I can't get it around here, I have to buy in US and then ship it to my country, so I'll have difficulties in case of malfunction or anything like that. Have you guys experienced problems with new products?

Thank you.
Yes, I've experienced problems and tend to wait for reviews. But seeing this is quite similar to 2i2, one could probably read reviews for that interface and get a fairly good impression of what to expect here. I do hope though that they've tweaked the drivers for the greatest amount of stability, which always is no 1 in my book.
Old 23rd October 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I took the plunge and are waiting for it to be delivered. Apparantly; according to some, it works well with Linux, which is an added bonus.

What made me eventually choose what I did aside from what's featured on the 2i2, was the inclusion of unbalanced RCA, the separate amps for headhpone - rear outs and MIDI in/out.
Old 23rd October 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
This looks to me to be one of the best featured interfaces for those that don't need balanced, want great sound and at a great price. 4 in / 4 out if more than enough for me! I'm in...
Old 8th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by suecae ➡️
What made me eventually choose what I did aside from what's featured on the 2i2, was the inclusion of unbalanced RCA, the separate amps for headhpone - rear outs and MIDI in/out.
Where did you get that info form? Would be great with a better headphone amp than on the 2i2 but it doesn't say so on Focusrite's page. How does it sound with headphones?
Old 15th November 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
When I say separate amps, I am talking about stuff like separate volume output for headphone contra main outs. I asked their customer dept about this, that's how I got the info. To my ears, it sounds good - nice degree of volume, even though the potentiometer is a bit flimsy.

Sent from my GT-P3100
Old 27th December 2012

🎧 5 years
Digging up old thread alert!

Just took the plunge and bought one after months of deliberation... student income and all that.

Will post my thoughts on it when it arrives.
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Testing it at the moment.

The goodies:

Quality switches and rotary buttons, plugs lock excellently.
D/A's are really good, really quiet, a bit more "in your face" but just a tad, mainly in the low-mid range. Awesome for the money.
A/D's the same, really quiet, great preamps, really clean -duh, Focusrite-.
Powerful and stable even below the 10ms latency setting.

The baddies:

Plain buttons could be beter.
Output preamps could be a bit louder, not as hot as I like, but not a main issue.
No software ASIO inputs -mix input for instance-.
Drivers. Hmmm. Wave drivers some times freeze.
Also problem with changing the ASIO Sample Rate within an open project. You have to close the project first.
Finally, at 88.2 and 96k ASIO sample rate, all wave driver playback stops.

If anyone else has the same issues in Windows XP SP3 please confirm. I will test again tonight.

I already sent an email to the tech support. I'm sure a driver update can fix all that.
Old 3rd January 2013

🎧 5 years
Mine arrived today too

Quote:
Output preamps could be a bit louder, not as hot as I like, but not a main issue.
I haven't set it up with my monitors yet but the headphone pre amp seems more than loud enough. Is that quiet for you?
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I was talking about the main outs. Headphone preamps are great. I haven't tried it with 600 Ohm heads yet.

Tried it with Windows 7 64x, works great. Drivers ok.
Old 3rd January 2013

🎧 5 years
Throttler,

I will be setting up my hs80ms with it today. I'll test the loudness with them

What are you plugging into the main output?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
A Central Station. tested it against other cards. It's not so great an issue. Drivers in XP are.
Old 13th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Bought one yesterday. Using Windows 7 x64 with SP1. Output has extremely low volume. I've contacted Focusrite support to see what they're saying. Even if I crank up the volume to the max and do the same on the back of my HS80Ms the volume is only whisper loud. I've tried both the balanced and unbalanced output. It's the same in the headphone jack as well :/

EDIT: Ok, the problem was behind the wheel. Understood the problem after reading the manual - the direct monitoring knob was set to 100% input (doh!), as in at 7 o'clock. Now when I moved it to playback (12 to 5 o'clock) it works as expected.
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi all,

Can you guys write what sort of latency you get with this device?? Anyone tried it in windows 8 ?
I know that latency is a sum of many things in pc but just give me some values please...

Cheers
Old 3rd May 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I have the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and love it, but...

In some situations I have a squeal, noise, digital artifact that seems to happen when I have, say, my Minibrute monosynth plugged into an input and the synth's usb plugged in. The noise goes away when I unplug the usb from the synth. Also happens when using the audio interface connected to my mixer's effects loop. (Using Ableton as an effects processor with turntables)
Could be a bad usb hub. I'll keep narrowing my search.

I would like to solve this because using Ableton as an effects processor within a vinyl dj setup is awesome all except for this unwanted digital interference.
Old 12th October 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Bump!

I am a recent, proud and satisfied owner of a Focusrite 2i4, and I would like to acquire a Beyer Dynamics DT-770 to do some mixing with it. However, I don't know what impedance to choose: 32, 80, 250, even 600???

I have already checked that massive guide but I don't know whether the 2i4 will prove able to amp up to a 600Ohm.

What do you guys reckon?

Thanks in advance for your answers,
Drumclem.
📝 Reply