Quantcast
Allen & Heath ICE-16 - 16 ch Multitrack Recorder + USB/Firewire Interface Announced - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Allen & Heath ICE-16 - 16 ch Multitrack Recorder + USB/Firewire Interface Announced
Old 2nd October 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I'm definitely in the game. My ICE 16 is being delivered today. Can't wait!! I'm using it purely for capturing live band performances so I can edit it later in my DAW with the idea of producing a live CD we can sell. We've already done a studio CD and I think this will be a nice addition to it and capture more of the energy in the songs.

I bought a 4u rack in which I will house the ICE and a Presonus DigiMax D8 8-channel preamp. Since some mixers don't have channel monitor outputs, I opted to use a splitter cable to come off of the balanced lines going into the mixing board and preamp the signal separately. This just seems cleaner to me than trying to come off the FX insert, especially since some boards (including our Mackie ProFX22) don't have them on all channels.

I have everything in place so once it arrives I can mount it in the rack, wire it in to the Presonus and start testing. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do a real test at with the band at a rehearsal until two weeks from now since I'm going out of town. But I'll try to update this thread with my progress. Still deciding on which USB hard drive to use, but I'm leaning toward the WD Passport. Sure wish this had been a USB 3 interface. It would make life easier, but...oh well.
Old 10th October 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
We have had one of the ICE units for the last 6 months and its been a great piece of gear. However I have one gripe:

I wish there could be an option to activate analog pass-thru from the inputs to the outputs. Then it would be simple to hook up Y-cables to our mixer's inserts and be able to do 'virtual soundcheck' using previously recorded shows.

Mike - if you're still watching this thread, would you consider enabling this in a future firmware upgrade (if its possible)... I think a lot of people would like to have this feature.

See my thread about this on the Presonus Studiolive forum
Virtual Soundcheck with SL and A&H ICE-16
Old 21st December 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Allen & Heath ICE-16D output issues (ProTools)

Hey guys, I`m hoping you can help with a strange issue.

Basically, I am trying to use an ICE-16D as an interface with ProTools.

I was able to install the 1394 and USB drivers for the ICE-16D.

I got it running (somewhat) with PT10 (v10.3.3), Windows 7 64bit tower (Gigabyte "ga-x58a-ud5" v1), however there's a bit of an issue.

Issue:

The output of the ICE-16D is extremely hot and it clips (severely distorted). I tested it on a recent session I've been mixing with my Digi 002r (Outs 1-2) and even though it's not clipping the master buss/fader in PT the output from the ICE-16D is super "jacked" and distorted. That is to say, the input into the Big Knob extremely HOT and causing it the unit to distort. Can`t say exactly, but it seems to be adding at least 10dB to the main output compared to my Digi002r.

Pretty strange. At first I thought it might be a clocking issue or something, so to test it I turned of my master buss effects (SSL - ATR102 - L2) and brought the fader way down, then turned my monitor controller back up to compensate. Result: No distortion. So it doesn't seem to be a playback issue, but rather a very high output issue.

Obviously, I need to have my Master at "full" scale/unity (or at least a competitive level for my mixes and masters. So reducing the Master volume in ProTools is not an option.

Setup 1: Digi 002r) No issues

ProTools -> Digi 002r (out 1-2) -> balanced TRS -> Mackie Big Knob (DAW input +4, at Unity) - > balanced TRS -> KRK ERGO.

Setup 2: ICE-16D) Output is extremely HOT and causing monitoring hardware to distort.

ProTools -> ICE-16D (out 1-2) -> Mogami db25 to 1/4" TRS -> Mackie Big Knob (DAW input +4, at Unity) - > balanced TRS -> KRK ERGO.
note: I tried turning down the Big Knob's "DAW input" gain from Unit to -10db, but it was still very distorted. I also tried bypassing the Big Knob and pluggin directly into the ERGO, but with identical results.

The ICE-16D headphone output is also distorting. When I select "Monitor Sel" buttons 1 & 2 on the front panel the "Hi Level" leds activate, indicating clipping.

note: I had run the Firmware update yesterday too, as per the instructions in the txt document. "ICE16_V8368_UpgradeTool_X64".

------------------------

Can someone please offer some advice?

Unfortunately, the unit is currently unusable.

Cheers!

Paul
Old 22nd December 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I decided to check out the Output specs of both the Digi002r and the ICE-16D.

Could the issue be as simple as the ICE-16D having a higher output "by-design"?

----------
Digi002
Max Output:
Main, Monitor, and Outputs 3-8: +18 dBu
Alt. -10 dBV Outputs: +4 dBV
Headphone Outputs: +15 dBu, 150 ohm load

ICE-16D
Output
Mono output on 8 channel 25 pin D Sub sockets.
+4dBu nominal (+26dBu maximum)
Headphones 1/4” TRS and 3.5mm Jack sockets (mono)
150mW minimum 30 ohms to 300ohms
----------

Is there a way of reducing this (high output) internally, or should I maybe look into a different Monitoring Controller (Presonus Central Station or Dangerous Music D-Box)? Would either of these be better suited to handling a higher input signal?

PreSonus | Central Station PLUS - Techspecs
The Dangerous D-Box - Dangerous Products - Dangerous Music

Thanks again everyone!
Old 3rd May 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaystar ➑️
Ok guys. I thought I had a chance to record and mix at a festival this summer using the ICE 16. Regardless of the fact that the I/O is unbalanced, I think the tracks came out great. Here is a link to the video: Bernie Worrell Orchestra - "Woo Together" - MazFest 2013 in Roscoe, NY - YouTube

Don't forget to watch in 1080p HD.
AWESOME

What was your console ?

Old 15th June 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Early going with the ICE-16

I bought an Allen & Heath ICE-16 recently and finally started putting it through its paces this weekend. Awesome bit of kit so far!

I have the recorder connected to a Soundcraft MFXi12/2 and up to now I have been exploring the playback abilities of the ICE-16.

I am using a Seagate Backup Plus portable hard drive. It's pocket-sized and cost a whole eighty bucks Canadian. Spent an extra $12.00 on a three-year over-the counter replacement warranty - not something I usually do but...

To check out the playlist mode I saved four 96kHz wav files in the Music folder on the hard drive. Tried a 192kHz file as well and - no surprise - just got an error message. The 96kHz files from HDTracks, though, sound gorgeous.

I found a multitrack recording of Springsteen's The River on the web. The recording consists of eight *stereo* wav files. I saved the eight stereo files in a subfolder called Song_01 in the Records folder. To my pleasant surprise the ICE-16 read the eight stereo files as 16 mono files(!)

I plan to take the new rig to rehearsal tomorrow night and see if it records as well as it plays. I am confident that it will. I can only use 12 mixer channels to record since there are only 12 inserts on the Soundcraft so the Roland keyboard our maestro plays will go direct into channels 13 and 14 on the ICE-16.

I am using the same cables for recording and playback - eight-channel snakes from Monoprice with 1/4" TS males on one end and RCA males on the other. I also picked up a bunch of RCA female to 1/4" TRS male adapters from Monoprice. I couldn't find them anywhere else. Cables and the adapters look decent enough - I bought several spare adapters just in case.

Last thing to add - thanks to A&H for a very cool piece of gear.

Cheers,

Ross
Old 29th August 2014 | Show parent
AVR
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hello group

I am planning to buy the ICE16 to playback a 16 channel soundscape in a museum installation. I hope some of you users of the ICE16 can help me with a few things:

1) I need it to play 16 individual tracks (44.1 kHz/16bit/mono) that I create in my DAW. I will export as WAV. How will I get track 1 to go to output 1 on the ICE 16? The FAQ on the A&H supportpage says:

''The important point to understand is that ICE-16 will playback your tracks
sequentially in the order they were *COPIED* to the USB stick/drive,
*NOT* in the alphabetic/numeric order in which they are named.''

Is this so?

2) The soundscape will be approx. 10 minutes but I need it to play for about 10 hours in a row (museum opening times). I understand there is no LOOP function for the multitrack folder. Any thought on how I get it to play a full 10 hours?

3) Did anyone tested it with more than 32GB USB stick?

Hope you can help.

Thanks, Alan
Old 13th March 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascalC ➑️
AWESOME

What was your console ?

Yeah the preamps in the console make a difference of course. I believe it was an old 48 channel Crest console.
Old 13th March 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Just a quick update for you ICE 16 users. I bought a NEW SanDisk - 16GB Cruzer 16G Extreme USB 3.0 Flash Pen Thumb Drive for $17.40 on eBay. These are the extremely fast ones that read at 245 Mb/s and write at 50 Mb/s. When I inserted it into the ICE 16 it tested at the Higher bit rate of 24 bits. SO the good news is we can now buy these in bulk and record each band separately onto their own thumb drive in 24 bit/44.1. No more need to use a dedicated hard drive in order to get the higher bit depth unless you really want to use one.
Old 6th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysunstar ➑️
Just a quick update for you ICE 16 users. I bought a NEW SanDisk - 16GB Cruzer 16G Extreme USB 3.0 Flash Pen Thumb Drive for $17.40 on eBay. These are the extremely fast ones that read at 245 Mb/s and write at 50 Mb/s. When I inserted it into the ICE 16 it tested at the Higher bit rate of 24 bits. SO the good news is we can now buy these in bulk and record each band separately onto their own thumb drive in 24 bit/44.1. No more need to use a dedicated hard drive in order to get the higher bit depth unless you really want to use one.
Hey man thanks for your posts/reports.

So as if June 2015 is it still recording at 24bit?

Does it do also 24bit at 48khz or higher?

Thanks!
Peace
Old 9th August 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzop ➑️
Hey man thanks for your posts/reports.

So as if June 2015 is it still recording at 24bit?

Does it do also 24bit at 48khz or higher?

Thanks!
Peace
Yes, everything still working fine. But I haven't gone beyond 44.1 and I am not sure it can be done on the ICE 16.
Old 23rd August 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Is it possible to daisy chain this unit to a ZED R16's firewire and expand the number of I/O in a DAW?
Old 14th September 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, everything still working fine. But I haven't gone beyond 44.1 and I am not sure it can be done on the ICE 16.
I have two of these; yes, capabilities are still 16 tracks at 48k; 8 tracks at 88.2/96k. I use only Verbatim hard drives.

I feed the pair here with a True Precision 8, a JDK 8MX2, and a Focusrite Octopre Dynamic II.
Old 19th December 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi All, just discovered this piece of gear and it may be exactly what i need. i have a couple questions for those of you who have one or know much about them. I can't quite tell from the user manual...

1. can i play back and record simultaneously in standalone mode? e.g., i record 8 tracks to usb, then i want to play those 8 tracks back through mixer and record the mix on tracks 9 and 10, all w/o a computer. possible?

2. suppose i record a bunch of tracks to a usb. then i take the usb out, stick it in my computer, import the waves to my daw, and edit the tracks, saving them in place. then i put the usb back in the ice16, will it still play back my tracks so i can run them through my console?

basically i want to use this with my analog board to do recording totally computer-less, until final mastering. right now i do that with adats, but it's a pain, and the machines are getting old...

I would be interested in being able to maybe do a couple of quick edits (squash a peak distort on one track, for instance) on the computer, but basically all the processing would be in the console.

finally question 3 - is there any other such box in this price range (or less) that does the same type of thing? It's nice if it functions as an io for when i want that, but i really just want it to be a "dumb" recorder.

thanks!
Old 19th December 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
For what it's worth, having worked with the ICE-16, I recently purchased the uTrack 24 by Cymatic Audio, which had features I needed that the ICE-16 did not. I did contact A&H about the lacking features (simple things, such as looping playback of multitrack recordings) and they just didn't act.

I love the uTrack... very reliable in a museum installation, functioning reliably every day, and good sound.
Old 19th December 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlien ➑️
For what it's worth, having worked with the ICE-16, I recently purchased the uTrack 24 by Cymatic Audio, which had features I needed that the ICE-16 did not.
Nice - this looks very similar, though for me maybe has some features i don't need. but same questions - can it play and record simultaneously, so I can use it to track and mix thru my analog desk?

thanks!
-ian
Old 21st December 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I suspect it can do what you need. But I suggest you can download the manual, and/or email them. They have great customer support.
Old 22nd September 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Reviving this old thread for a minute or two - I found this message from Jaysunstar to be very encouraging and I bought a 32GB Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 flash drive yesterday. Bad news is I get nothing but a LO readout on my ICE-16.

The drive I bought is model SDCZ80-032G-C46. Can anyone provide an exact model number for a USB drive that will do 24 bits in the ICE-16?
Old 22nd September 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hope on the horizon

Google may turn out to be my friend today. I found this on sweetwater.com:

...A&H only supports 16-bit recording on a thumb drive. 24-bit works fine on a USB hard drive I had that was 5 years old. But I really wanted to do 44.1 x 24-bit recording to a thumb drive to make this "no moving parts" all the way. I bought a Kingston Data Traveler Ultimate thumb drive, which is on A&H's approved products list (for running 16-bits). This thumb drive is way faster (sustainable write speed) than any of my old USB hard drives, so I was puzzled why the hard drive can run 24-bit and the flash drive could only do 16. But true enough, with the default formatting, trying to run the Kingston results in occasional dropouts.

Long story short, I got it to work using this procedure:

1) Format the Kingston drive in the ICE16 -- see the manual. It will come up as "LO" (i.e. 16 bit). That will create a couple of empty folders and an INI file.

2) Take the Kingston to your PC and copy the folder structure and INI file temporarily to your hard disk.

3) From the PC, format the Kingston as FAT32, but specify the allocation unit size as 64KB (don't use the default which is 32KB).

4) Then copy the folder structure back only the Kingston.

5) Still on the PC, go into the file named recorder.ini and change the samplewidth=16 line to read samplewidth=24. Then eject the Kingston from your PC.

Plug it into the ICE and it will come up as "HI" (i.e. 24 bits.) With this format, I have never had a single dropout. It works great for me. A&H does not support that, so you are on your own, but this is how I plan to run always.

Kudos to Craig in Indy if this works!

EDIT: It works - genius!

Last edited by T.O. Ross; 24th September 2017 at 12:09 AM.. Reason: Update - add results
Old 8th November 2017
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Does this work like a more sophisticated Zoom recorder or is it just for live? hows the conversion?
Old 7th June 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Hi,

Will this unit work with a Mac and Reaper as an interface? Will the 16 audio inputs come up as a core audio device in Reaper and Garageband?

thanks
Old 31st January 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hey Mike, Can i use an ICE-16 to expand my GS-R24 for more outputs using the second firewire port?
Old 1st February 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi Mike, I realize this post is ooooooold, however, I'm wondering if I can daisy-chain any firewire interface into my GS-R24 to give me more analog outputs, like the ICE-16 firewire in to the GS-R24 firewire to give me more ins/outs? I run Cubase 11 on a PC, which only allows one driver at a time, so wondering if I could slave the ICE16 off the GS-R24. (I use up to 30 inputs when recording, and would like more outs that I can send Cubase stereo cue mixes out to the performers.
πŸ“ Reply