Quantcast
Allen & Heath ICE-16 - 16 ch Multitrack Recorder + USB/Firewire Interface Announced - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Allen & Heath ICE-16 - 16 ch Multitrack Recorder + USB/Firewire Interface Announced
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I do not understand the hand ringing over this. There are other products today that have all or nearly all of the features requested. Trouble is - you have to pay for them.

If balanced connections and the like are so critical in order to meet your pro requirements - then go buy pro gear, and pay the appropriate price tag.
Cdlt
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Great idea. Nicely executed... I will check it out....

Can the product playback a stereo track from the USB for dj or system playback?
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Actually it's looks pretty cool, but it's lacking adat to use as a dedicated ad/da via RME or other interface. (eg using MIX FX to control would be desirable).

But in my case (smallish studio guy), I don't understand the purpose of the outputs aside from a monitor channel. The purpose of a device like this seems to be centered around ->input to digital "for mixing later."

Adding feature for to let product like this integrate with other interfaces as well as stand-alone seems like something better suited for my needs. Essentially you can't use this on a PC alongside another interface.

This product should be able to use alongside other interface as added i/o (or in only). Perhaps with mac environment that would be possible.
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melgueil ➑️
I do not understand the hand ringing over this. There are other products today that have all or nearly all of the features requested. Trouble is - you have to pay for them.

If balanced connections and the like are so critical in order to meet your pro requirements - then go buy pro gear, and pay the appropriate price tag.
Cdlt
If you read my posts (and the one of the reply from A&H) is not, at least for me a matter of price..
I simply want a "better" hd24.. The Joeco is not a solution for me, while being a great piece..

I understand that this is not considered hiend, but it could be useful for the market a&h said before..

Just my 0.02$,

Cheu
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
PDC
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakestyle ➑️
Actually it's looks pretty cool, but it's lacking adat to use as a dedicated ad/da via RME or other interface. (eg using MIX FX to control would be desirable).

But in my case (smallish studio guy), I don't understand the purpose of the outputs aside from a monitor channel. The purpose of a device like this seems to be centered around ->input to digital "for mixing later."

Adding feature for to let product like this integrate with other interfaces as well as stand-alone seems like something better suited for my needs. Essentially you can't use this on a PC alongside another interface.

This product should be able to use alongside other interface as added i/o (or in only). Perhaps with mac environment that would be possible.
See, this is what happens. People will try to use these things in unintended ways. It is not a record studio piece per se. ADAT is not a live sound protocol. Although some people use ADAT with SAC systems live, it is not ideal.
Besides, if you have ADAT ins on your computer, why would you need this? You can use preamps with ADAT outs to main line in. You would not need this box at all. Heck, if you have a computer, you do not need this box at all. All this box does is take multi-channel audio and get it to a drive of your choice, eliminating the computer.
PDC
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 ➑️
I simply want a "better" hd24.. The Joeco is not a solution for me, while being a great piece..
Buy the Tascam then. What makes the JoeCo unusable in your situation?
PDC
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melgueil ➑️

Cdlt
Amen.
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC ➑️
Buy the Tascam then. What makes the JoeCo unusable in your situation?
First of all the metering is not really enough..I'd like to have some more leds per channel, at least 2 or even better 3 more, second the monitoring jack is on the back of the unit, which IMO is not ideal (I know you could fix this easily, probably losing some space in the rack, which might be ok), and third there's no analog AND digital outputs as in the HD24, which sometimes could be very handy...
it could be analog/adat I/O or analog/MADI, both inputs and outputs simultaneously, like in the HD24.

As I said is a pretty solid product, but there are some flaws, and while I agree that they're minor, but for that price I don't want to compromise.

Just my 0.02$,

Cheu
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Can i connect this to my zed r16 and record my tracks via the firewire connection?
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Hi,

I have just seen the release of the allen & heath ice 16 channel multitrack recorder + USB / FireWire interface.

I am actually looking for a mobile multitrack recorder to use with my zed r16. Like a device that can record 16 tracks via the firewire connection from the zed r16. I know
i could buy a laptop, but i just wonder if there are any alternatives?

When i saw the ice 16 i thought, well this may be it. After thinking im not really sure.

So to cut to the point i wonder if there exists a device (f.ex like the ice16)
that can record and playback 16 tracks via a firewire connection from (f.ex the zed r16)
For this i dont need 16 jacks or whatever inputs or 16 jacks or whatever outputs. Anyone following me? Without all the connections in and out the unit would be maybe half the size and the costs half the prize? Why do i want the 16 jack inputs when i want to record 16 tracks over the firewire? Puh, i hope someone can teach me a lesson about recording equipment.
Im exhausted after looking around for a portable unit that can do multitrack recording/playback, instead of buying a new laptop. When googling multitrack recorders the most hits i end up with are the tascam,zoom etc digital recording mixers. I dont need anymore faders or mixers, i need a firewire recording device. And it doesnt have to be all the ins and outs, only the digital connections like firewire, adat.

Am i asking to much? Or am i asking to little? Im not sure if this device even exists, but if it do not exist, i would be glad to know WHY.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Question for Mike:

Could i run my? ZED R16 straight into this via firewire and not have to take a laptop or pc to record?
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
A&H Reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spain75 ➑️
Question for Mike:

Could i run my? ZED R16 straight into this via firewire and not have to take a laptop or pc to record?
No because both units have device ports and need a host (computer) to stream audio via FireWire, or the rearpanel USB device port.
You could tap off from the insert points or record from any of the outputs using jack leads - that was the primary aim of the ICE-16, to connect to analogue equipment line level sources and easily capture the audio.
The ZED-R16 already has built in multi-channel converters, so the most economical way to record from the R16 is straight to a laptop or computer.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienHealth ➑️
No because both units have device ports and need a host (computer) to stream audio via FireWire, or the rearpanel USB device port.
You could tap off from the insert points or record from any of the outputs using jack leads - that was the primary aim of the ICE-16, to connect to analogue equipment line level sources and easily capture the audio.
The ZED-R16 already has built in multi-channel converters, so the most economical way to record from the R16 is straight to a laptop or computer.

Cheers,
Mike.
Couldnt it be possible to capture the audio coming from the firewire instead of using the jacks. I know it would be another (computer)system, but is it techically possible?
Like a "firewire or usb recorder" with the same transport buttons, metering and about the same size as the ice. Like a dedicated firewire audio recorder.
There are so many disadvantages by using a laptop for this, so it seems strange that its the only alternative.
Old 30th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Release date?
Old 7th October 2012
Gear Addict

16 ch standalone recorder for under 1000? Built by A&H? Forget the haters hahah. A great option for live recording, small, light etc. RCA is pretty throwback hahah. Unbalanced doesn't make you all warm and tingly inside, but works np ha. If insert lines are ok these will be ok. I trust a n h to make somethin good, and it seems to have good chips.... Perhaps adaptable to pipe right into a modded console since its unbal? Seems real good purist wise.

The io seems like a pita anyways, would be cool if it came with a insert y snake, and maybe some RCA- whatevers. But we'll hear how it sounds....
Old 7th October 2012 | Show parent
PDC
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott003 ➑️
16 ch standalone recorder for under 1000? Built by A&H? Forget the haters hahah. A great option for live recording, small, light etc. RCA is pretty throwback hahah. Unbalanced doesn't make you all warm and tingly inside, but works np ha. If insert lines are ok these will be ok. I trust a n h to make somethin good, and it seems to have good chips.... Perhaps adaptable to pipe right into a modded console since its unbal? Seems real good purist wise.

The io seems like a pita anyways, would be cool if it came with a insert y snake, and maybe some RCA- whatevers. But we'll hear how it sounds....
It's not a recorder. It's an I/O.
Old 7th October 2012
Gear Addict

It is with a flash drive? Those aren't hard to find. Same as onboard storage but you can take it with you
Old 7th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC ➑️
It's not a recorder. It's an I/O.
It's most definitely a recorder.
Old 7th October 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikharthu ➑️
It's most definitely a recorder.
+1 Ha I thought I was tripping for a sec. Everything but media means recorder to me, like cdr Adat tape etc....
Old 7th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As an audio interface, how good are its audio converters?
Old 7th October 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
This is exactly what I am looking for (I think).

I'm looking for a small unit that I can multitrack live bands for mix down later.

I will get this after I get my Allen and Heath ZED 24. As you can see, I'm a big A&H fan!
Old 7th October 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron ➑️
As an audio interface, how good are its audio converters?
's a great question, comes down to chips and design I s'pose, cited very good chips and it's A&H, so... But gotta hear it
Old 9th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
A&H Reply:

Hi Guys,

The ADC and DAC converters are CS5368 (Cirrus) and PCM4104 (Burr Brown).
Both 24 bit up to 96kHz S/R. 114 & 118dB dynamic range respectively.
They are in fact the same converters that are used in the GS-R24 which has had some good comments regarding sonic qualities (see GS-R24 threads and also ZED-R16). The higher sample rates are available when streaming to a computer. When recording to a USB drive or key the S/R is limited to 44.1 or 48kHz depending on memory speed.

Hope tht helps....

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 11th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
This looks like a great unit for me to do my pre production with the bands work with . Just show up to their jam space , mic up the band and record into this and not have to bring a lap top . I dont need to monitor anything - just capture i and take it home .
Old 11th October 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL ➑️
This looks like a great unit for me to do my pre production with the bands work with . Just show up to their jam space , mic up the band and record into this and not have to bring a lap top . I dont need to monitor anything - just capture i and take it home .
+1 lots of good applications for this jaunt. If I had the $... Ha
Old 13th October 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Whats the planned release date? I need this!!
Old 13th October 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Duplicate post
Old 13th October 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Expected date

Hi all

Found this thread after finding the ICE 16 for the first time today. Looking at getting a small portable mixer for events I do (looking at the MW3 16:2), looks like this would be a perfect recorder for live multitrack recording on the back of the 16:2. I can guarantee that i can either charge more per job or get more jobs if my budget job line includes 'live recording' thrown in the spec sheet!

I also do charity events in North London (acoustic nights and such) and this would be a perfect way of further helping the charities / churches / artists for relatively little cash!

Would love an amber light for the metering to give a reference for warning if getting too close to clipping /-8 but again good if you run your direct outs pre fade it just needs a more controlled engineer on the desk.

I can understand why people are shouting about the balanced i/o's and the DB25 idea sounds like a winner, though potentially considerably more expensive when cabling is factored in, personally I can see why they've gone this way as there is a real hole in the market for this type of device at this price range.

Also A+H have a history of 'upgrading' products mid run. Just taken my GL3300 32 channel in to get the direct outs set to pre-eq, pre-fade but apparently I've got a Mk1 GL3300 and this can't be done by jumpers alone (expected workload increase of 4-5x so 4-5x more expensive) Mk2 GL3300's got a board update to allow jumpers to switch direct out functionality pre/post fade. So configuration of the ICE 16 may not be set in stone.

Yes there are alternatives when it comes to the high end stuff (e.g. get 2x motu 192 or use a digital desk, multiple options have been talked about) but I.M.H.O. most multitrack recording is going to be overdubbed later anyway (if not, it's a specific job you're trying to achieve and there are better options out there for that!), so in short I think the ICE gives a great tool to track song templates for fleshing out / trying different ideas or band rehearsals, drop it into any DAW, mess around for an evening and see what you like before moving to the overdubs or back to the drawing board!

Also e-av put the expected arrival date of the 30th November so I got some time to save! Allen & Heath ICE-16 Multitrack Recorder and Audio Interface Unit.

Thanks A+H, yet again another product for me to get tech envy! Looks like I'll have to budget the extra Β£700 for this (-8

Warmly

JJOliver998
Old 20th October 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Mike,

I would like to play back a stereo mp3 backing track + a click track, while recording on the remaining 13 channels. Is that possible?
Lets say for a live set there are many songs that needs to be played(and recorded). Is it possible to easily scroll through the songs and start up the playback/recording?
I think there is a market for what I have just described and hope its possible.

thx

jorn
Old 26th October 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I've been waiting for an 'affordable' 16in/out interface, that isn't MADI or PCI etc. And this is ALMOST perfect, those RCA's are my only negative factor but hey.....
πŸ“ Reply