Quantcast
Sony Soundforge for Mac OS X - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sony Soundforge for Mac OS X
Old 15th October 2012 | Show parent
Deleted 49af092
Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesist ➑️
Jperkinski: Are you not satisfied with wavelab, then? What about Sonic? I guess we have to wait and see on Triumph. It seems only AE and maybe their beta testers know much about that at this point. I'm about to take a spin in the mastering section of Studio One 2. Thanks!
I'd say that I'm satisfied with Wavelab 7 for Mac, but not attached to it. I don't like that you have to save the master section and then reload it with each montage. I've gotten used to it but I'd prefer the master section to work like Waveburner or CD Architect.

There are also some bugs that seem to come and go, which I understand will happen with pretty much any software but WL7 just doesn't feel or look as solid as I'd like.

I haven't heard anything about Triumph so I'll have to see what that is about, thanks for the tip.
Old 16th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I like it. The functionality is not all there, but it is SF. I love the way they handle the workflow. I will probably buy it later this year or early next.
Old 16th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel ➑️
I like it. The functionality is not all there, but it is SF. I love the way they handle the workflow. I will probably buy it later this year or early next.
Do you have a lot of 32-bit plug-ins?

I think Sound Forge has potential, but as it is not compatible with jbridgem at the moment, I am very hesitant to commit to anything, as I have too many important 32-bit plug-ins that I need to use (including the fantastic Soundtoys).

Btw, I am a beta tester for Triumph, but can't really say anything, other than you should wait and see what it can do!
Old 17th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I may be a little ignorant to this. . . but what is the point of Soundforge, Wavelab, Peak, etc. . . if I am already running a Pro Tools Native HD10 system?

I watched the short video on the website and i'm confused on why I would or should actually need software like this.

Anybody care to clue me in on what i'm missing?
Old 17th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Destructive editing of files. This lets you change a file directly, in PT you'd have to open a full session, make edits, then either bounce or export it again.
Old 17th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Connelly ➑️
Destructive editing of files. This lets you change a file directly, in PT you'd have to open a full session, make edits, then either bounce or export it again.
In PT I can edit then consolidate the file without bouncing though.
Old 17th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You're absolutely correct. Pro Tools has most of editing features on SF. But, here a few things missing in PT:

-Export sample (wav or aiff) slices to wav or aiff..

-More format saving options..

-CD burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamike ➑️
I may be a little ignorant to this. . . but what is the point of Soundforge, Wavelab, Peak, etc. . . if I am already running a Pro Tools Native HD10 system?

I watched the short video on the website and i'm confused on why I would or should actually need software like this.

Anybody care to clue me in on what i'm missing?
Old 18th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I won't get it unless the other features are added, but I have been using the PC version of SF for years but never any of the CD functionality. There are plenty of people doing audio work other than creating CDs.
Sorry if I directed my reply to you Mike. I am not sure if I did, my comment was more of a general musing about the product.

I should say, that I am mainly looking back to SF and other Sony music products from my experience w/ them on PC - And time flies, so my perspective may be a bit off.

If I remember accurately to that time, I more often used Wavelab on PC for editing and CD Architect for my CD creation needs. Although,
I did have SF.

It's been a while, but I assume I preferred Wavelab on PC as I used it very often.

I did love CD Architect - (and I could be totally wrong on this - but I thought Sony better incorporated SF & CD Architect over the last few years for PC - Again, I may be way off on that).

At the least when I was on a PC (& surely the same has been true since) both SF and CD Architect were available and it seemed the idea Sony was marketing was editing in SF then - CD functions in Architect.

What strikes me as somewhat Vexing in the instant matter is that clearly the option of using the two is obviously not possible for Mac users.

Coupled with the increasing wave editing functionality in nearly all DAWs in the last few years (as many have already mentioned above) - Sony isn't really making a very compelling case for why a Mac user would want this product.

Which is all the more puzzling as they have either stripped features from the PC version with no explanation.

Further, I cannot imagine what would have been so difficult about those features to code particularly considering it was not a port.

Considering their are a multitude of options for CD Authoring products on PC and a fairly limited number for Mac - Reason would almost have demanded, from a business point of view, to bring CD Architect over to Mac - At least before Soundforge.

Don't get me wrong, for all those getting on with it - I think that's great, I am just sort of puzzled by the whole thing.

I remember Sony's PC products fondly (Esp Acid) - So of anything, I just would like a better road map of where they are going -

I want to be excited about Sony entering the Mac world.

However, I am more befuddled then anything else at this point.

Best Regards,
Alexa
Old 19th October 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
^
They held out so long, I can imagine the whole matter is a little trepidatious for them

I agree with the sentiment that this must have been a rushed, build as we go job, which is apparently becoming common practice these days.

-SD
Old 20th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
They are so slow to update things, though, and now they're going with the Mac App Store model. They seem like nice guys, but it comes together and comes of as a pretty strange company. I suppose I've gotten my $278 worth of usefulness out of all that, mainly the izotope SRC and dither, which is why I find the embedded izo stuff in SF Mac interesting.
All of our apps will continue to be sold via our online store as well as the Mac App Store. Triumph in particular will be available first on our store (and very soon I might add). Starting with Triumph, we'll be streamlining our product offerings and rolling out updates at a steady rate.

Last edited by Matthew Foust; 20th October 2012 at 01:25 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 21st October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Foust ➑️
All of our apps will continue to be sold via our online store as well as the Mac App Store. Triumph in particular will be available first on our store (and very soon I might add). Starting with Triumph, we'll be streamlining our product offerings and rolling out updates at a steady rate.
Matthew, some of us are facing an Oct. 31 deadline to take advantage of cross-grade offers as former Peak users, to WaveLab in particular.

What kind of hope can you offer us in terms of providing a thoroughly professional tool for DDP creation at a low price, in the very near future? Or should I just buy WaveLab and forget about it?

JSL
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin ➑️
Matthew, some of us are facing an Oct. 31 deadline to take advantage of cross-grade offers as former Peak users, to WaveLab in particular.

What kind of hope can you offer us in terms of providing a thoroughly professional tool for DDP creation at a low price, in the very near future? Or should I just buy WaveLab and forget about it?

JSL
Define "thoroughly professional."

Some of our beta testers can chime in. We're very, very happy with what we have. The workflow is much improved. The roadmap for the future is pretty exciting as well.

We're on track for presale beginning on 10/25 and a launch of 11/1. Triumph will be US $79.99 and there will be a brief sale for the launch.
Old 21st October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
***POST WITHDRAWN***

Please See My Post Below For More Details.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
aTelecine-Lex: Matthew Foust is not with Sony, but I agree about the question dodging regarding his product: Triumph. This thread has wandered away from Sony, which I guess is little matter if you keep the players straight. When I read "define thoroughly professional," I thought, not that.
Old 22nd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
aTelecine-Lex: Matthew Foust is not with Sony, but I agree about the question dodging regarding his product: Triumph. This thread has wandered away from Sony, which I guess is little matter if you keep the players straight. When I read "define thoroughly professional," I thought, not that.
Thank you very much for bringing that to my attention - I obviously did not realize that.

I will modify my post to reflect my error.

My apologies to Matthew Foust with regard to my error, and any negative inference anyone may have drawn from my having incorrectly addresed him as working for Sony on the Sound Forge team, or in any other capacity for Sony.

I completly withdraw my statement above as it related to Matthew Faust and Sony.

My sincerest apologies for the confusion Matthew.

Best Regards,
Alexa
Old 22nd October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I obviously misunderstood the question. Triumph is the sequel to Wave Editor which, of course, was already capable of exporting DDP 2.0 file sets. Triumph does as well, but the overall workflow is much improved. For more information, we just posted a rough draft of our Knowledge Book for Triumph:

Audiofile Engineering - Support
Old 22nd October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamike ➑️
In PT I can edit then consolidate the file without bouncing though.
Which is why I said bounce or export. Some things can be done in PT and export the file fast, others require another bounce. But either way, it's still not as quick as opening a file, editing or processing it, then saving.
Old 22nd October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Which is why I said bounce or export. Some things can be done in PT and export the file fast, others require another bounce. But either way, it's still not as quick as opening a file, editing or processing it, then saving.
I get you. It still doesn't seem to make sense to me though. . . especially with offline bounce on the horizon.

There's got to be something I'm missing as to why people that already own a DAW would be spending hundreds of dollars on other software that does basically the same thing. I totally understand workflow improvements, but that doesn't seem to be the sales pitch here.

Idk, if Soundforge wants to gain some NEW users, they're going to have to help us mixers understand why we would want it.
Old 23rd October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Editors probably aren't of much use for mixing engineers anymore. In the Pro Tools world, it used to take Sound Designer to do some of the things that PT couldn't do, and then Master List CD for sequencing and burning CD's.

Editors are also useful for sample preparation, sampler support, sound design, two track recording and editing. I like them just for trying out plug-in demos and file-based mix playback, but I wouldn't buy one just for that.

Basically, if you don't know why you need one, you don't.
Old 23rd October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For me, workflow improvements are one of the biggest reasons I use it. I could do all those things in a DAW but using SF is much much faster for me. Especially with things like batch conversion.

For anyone who's just doing mixing, it's probably not a tool you need, especially if there aren't tight deadlines. But there are plenty of audio jobs other than mixing where SF is a huge time saver.
Old 24th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Foust ➑️
I obviously misunderstood the question. Triumph is the sequel to Wave Editor which, of course, was already capable of exporting DDP 2.0 file sets. Triumph does as well, but the overall workflow is much improved. For more information, we just posted a rough draft of our Knowledge Book for Triumph:

Audiofile Engineering - Support
Triumph.......WOW!
That "rough draft" is some fine reading.
The extensive AppleScript support and "actions" functionality could be a game changer for Mac mastering apps.

I look forward to getting my hands on this for a tryout.
Old 4th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I`ve downloaded both the Triumph and SoundForge demos. SoundForge does have some interesting features - and folks, let`s remember this is "one-dot-zero".

We all know what that means in 2012 (hint, hint: public beta).

Triumph interesting too, but very hard for me to get my head around it - feels like it was written by and for scientists in white coats. To be fair maybe I need more time with it.

Cdlt
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melgueil ➑️
...Triumph interesting too, but very hard for me to get my head around it - feels like it was written by and for scientists in white coats. To be fair maybe I need more time with it.

Cdlt
I don't like it at all, and I used to love and recommend Wave Editor.
Triumph will alienate many potential users by the system requirements (10.7 and above), lack of VST support, and current bugs. (I reported some bugs a while ago, but they're still present in the official release).
Most Mac users will be fine with AU support, but there are some Mac plugins that are VST-only at the moment.
32-bit plugins are only supported by launching Triumph in 32-bit mode.
Kush UBK-1 does not work at all. In fact, after trying to use it I had to Force Quit Triumph. Twice.
UBK-1 runs fine in other Mac audio editors.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espiridion ➑️
32-bit plugins are only supported by launching Triumph in 32-bit mode.
Most importantly: many of them are useless unless the plug-in in question is using the Cocoa API. This is irrelevant of whether or not you are running Triumph in 32-bit mode.
Old 4th November 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Just wanted to gve my quick and humble point of view : i use soundforge since day one , i learn to edit before knowing effects ...as i , with time, saw daws being able to do what soundforge does (even if SF does it quiker and better in a lot of way ) one thing i will alwayz use SF for is the quality of its algorythm (time strech ,pitch shif ect ....) and how well the tools are thinked ....

I can edit in my daw but i never !!! the combo SF + CD architect is unmatched ...
πŸ“ Reply