Sony Soundforge for Mac OS X - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sony Soundforge for Mac OS X
Old 10th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin ➑️
I don't get it. Is there a point in here somewhere?
Sort of, but let's just let it die.

Quote:
I think the world is very gray, making it all the more striking when something is very black-and-white. Like the fact that this Sony offering sucks and will rely only on ill-informed users to make money.
I understand, and even felt that way at first. I still want to check it out for the features that it does have, rather than dismiss it for what it doesn't. I'm not your typical user, though. If you need sequencing and delivery, it's just not there, yet anyway.

Quote:
I think there are many good editors way cheaper than this.

For a full-feature editor with DDP assembly, it's looking like Wavelab is the only serious product out there. For DDP assembly only, Sonoris looks pretty good. (Actually, it looks terrible, but apparently it works well.)

I'm a recovering Peak customer, trying not to buy too many more things before I can just settle in and work with something for a good long while.
Yeah, I'm still leaning toward wavelab, though I'll probably end up with Triumph, too.

Quote:
If the right solution is out there, I'm not opposed to setting up a cheap Windows machine just to assemble DDP masters. It wouldn't really disrupt our workflow at all, since we process all the audio in Pro Tools HD (soon to be HDX), in real-time with outboard. In fact, it might help by pushing the DDP assembly out of our main control room.

But I haven't found a compelling solution on Windows either, not at a reasonable price.

JSL
I assume the unreasonable price is for Samplitude/Sequoia. As has been repeated here, there's similar for Mac in the different Sonic levels.

Wavelab seems to be the more affordable (especially for the half-price Peak crossgrade) cross-platform solution, though I imagine there's a potential burden on the Mac from being a port.

I don't really know what Audition's capabilities are now. I oversaw the conversion of hundreds of audio books from masters for cassette (mostly DAT) to CD. A lot of that work was done in Cool Edit Pro, but we also used Gear Pro:

Convert CDs to DDP images, Convert DVDs to DDP images
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatzeMillion ➑️
I used PMCD for some years and I had lots of trouble with it, plus the updates came very slow. But now with the rebranding to SoundBladeLE they fixed all the bugs that plagued me and it feels very stable. (snip) Is Soundforge/mac at least capable of that?

Thanks for the info, encouraging words about the company.

I don't know what SF Mac can do. I gave up on it when I discovered it does not have any CD capabilities.

I just got my iLok code from Sonic, so that's my next demo to try.

I did install Audition. I haven't really kicked it's tires yet, but what a bloody mess!
Just the installation makes me want to run away - typical Adobe BS - help center, media server, update manager ... it'll take me hours just to weed out all the sh*t it installed on my machine ...... be warned!!

kasper
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I whish it had loudness metering (LUFS), batch processing, video support...
I guess I stick with Twistedwave
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
But I haven't found a compelling solution on Windows either, not at a reasonable price.
What's the deal breaker on the PC version of sound forge? Missing features you need, or the price?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
These might be good for adding CD/DDP to SF or whatever:

HOFA-Plugins | Intelligente Audio-Plugins mit einzigartigen Funktionen - HOFA CD-Burn & DDP_en
Old 11th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Connelly ➑️
What's the deal breaker on the PC version of sound forge? Missing features you need, or the price?
Does it support DDP export?
Old 11th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Does it support DDP export?
Are you asking if the PC version offers DDP export or the Mac version?
Old 12th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Looks like neither supports DDP, which would rule it out for people who need that feature.
Old 13th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Connelly ➑️
Looks like neither supports DDP, which would rule it out for people who need that feature.
If that's the case - Who exactly did Sony intend this product for? Particularly the Mac version...

I don't know, but it seems like Sony entirely lost the plot on this one.

Best,
Alexa
Old 13th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Given that it appears to output only to a file, maybe it is intended as an audio editor for Vegas. Maybe in a broadcast/podcast environment where physical media (like CDs) are no longer prime.

Having never owned an Apple product since they discontinued the IIGS, I am unable to try it out. But reading the manual, it seems to be aimed at a user level about half an order of magnitude below the user level of the current Windows version (SFPro 10).

But it is version 1.0, which the conventional wisdom says one should never buy ...
Old 14th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Someone from Sony should clarify what's going on here.

Is this an abandoned project?

Like, did they just begin to port it from PC to Mac and then run into some kind of technical snag and then just think "Aww, screw it!" and then throw it onto the market anyway? To maybe cut losses?

That's what I think has happened here. Not kidding.

- c
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➑️

Like, did they just begin to port it from PC to Mac and then run into some kind of technical snag and then just think "Aww, screw it!" and then throw it onto the market anyway? To maybe cut losses?

- c
i read somewhere that it wasn't a port at all but ground up rewrite for OSX. but i forget where i read that..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by boon ➑️
i read somewhere that it wasn't a port at all but ground up rewrite for OSX. but i forget where i read that..
This seems to lend more weight to my theory.

Someone just... gave up before finishing the job!

And then that person's boss said "Right. Well, we're putting it on the market anyway. Maybe nobody will notice..."

- c
Old 14th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Sound Forge's strengths fall under the creative persons category.
There's a whole genre of music that uses that program as the mere instrument.
Let alone what it could do for a sound effects artist.

As for it's intended usage? I guess you'll have to whine while using what you already own? ? ?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Give me a break.

- c
Old 14th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkf ➑️
You seem not to know what you're talking about. SoundForge is really a great tool - YetiHunter is right. I'm so disappointed that Sony didn't port it to Mac with it's full Windows version features and for Lion and up only.
You say I don't know what I'm talking about but then you go and agree with everything I just said.

...Or did you not read the thread, but decide to insult me anyway?

- c
Old 15th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sony's press release?

Re-writes from the ground up have a tortured history. Think ... Audition 2? WaveLab 7 (ported to MAC).

And their SpectraLayers 1.0 release (Win/MAC) is similar. Should have spent some time as a public beta, which is largely what users are being asked to pay for now.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Maybe you actually read that about WaveLab, not SoundForge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiHunter ➑️
Sound Forge's strengths fall under the creative persons category. There's a whole genre of music that uses that program as the mere instrument. Let alone what it could do for a sound effects artist.

As for it's intended usage? I guess you'll have to whine while using what you already own? ? ?
Dude ... this product we're talking about here is a basic editor. It ain't a Synclavier, hell, it ain't even a Casio.

There are great editing and sound design applications out there, but you're arbitrarily defending a very mundane app here.

JSL
nkf
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
You say I don't know what I'm talking about but then you go and agree with everything I just said.

...Or did you not read the thread, but decide to insult me anyway?

- c
Don't try to be a smart ass here ... my comment was directed towards the last 'give me a break' which was against somebody describing the value of SoundForge for some people. Your answer was out of knowledge. That doesn't interfere with other things you said about the release of SoundForge to which I agree partly. You can be right and wrong in different matters ... that maybe news for you but it isn't very special.
To make my point clear: SoundForge for Windows (I have SF 10) is a great software package, especially for sound design and surround work. The so called 'port' to OSX is a stripped down version of this great software and therefore, for me using SF since over 15 years, a complete fail. I use SoundForge since Win NT4.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Give me a break.

- c
Amen.

(not really agreeing with either side, just making a bad joke)
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:

- c
Deleted 49af092
I certainly hope that they plan to incorporate CD burning, and more importantly CD layout creation (like CD Architect) and DDP export/import. I rarely burn actual CDs these days, but CD assembly and DDP are still an important thing for years to come in my opinion. After I capture my analog processing back to digital, I need a place to assemble these files into an album. Wavelab 7 for Mac is pretty decent but some things still slow me down and could be better.

I'm almost positive that I saw a screen shot of something like CD Architect running on the Mac in one of their promos as well as seeing it listed in the the tech specs at one point. Let's hope that they plan to add it soon. I was interested in exploring other OSX options besides Wavelab 7 for Mac but this Mac version of SF10 is not a very useful addition to my arsenal of software as it is now. It does look and feel pretty solid though.
Old 15th October 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
You guys should read some of the posts on the Sony forum:

SF Mac

It appears Sony is being reserved about the missing functions. They're implying very unexplicitly that CD/DDP may be in the works

It seems AE has a real opportunity to seize the moment. Let's hope they don't disappoint.

-SD
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If it was pushed out the door, I'd bet it was because of AES.

It makes sense that they might follow their own Windows model and have CD/DDP separate. I say DDP assuming CD Architect does that. The last time I used that it didn't and you had to use some freeware add-on for CD Text, but that was years ago, well before DDP was as common.

That's why we opted for Gear Pro for DDP prep at one of the optical disc plants I worked at, even though we had a $10,000 Eclipse license in mastering (stamper making, not pre-mastering), but I digress.

Windows SF fans should also learn not to argue with Mac cool guys. Even though you are right about that venerable application, they won't get it. Amen, indeed.

SD: I hope you are right about AE. They are so slow to do things, though. Triumph could only probably ever be a second stringer for me, as is all of studiolife now.
Old 15th October 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
^
According to AE, Triumph is done but they're waiting on App store approval. I guess it will be any day now.

-SD
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aTelecine-Lex ➑️
If that's the case - Who exactly did Sony intend this product for?
I won't get it unless the other features are added, but I have been using the PC version of SF for years but never any of the CD functionality. There are plenty of people doing audio work other than creating CDs.

Quote:
I suspect they announced the release date before it was done and instead of postpone, they put it out unfinished. I do hope they finish it up, it's hard to imagine going to that much trouble then throwing all that work away.

Quote:
Dude ... this product we're talking about here is a basic editor.

There are great editing and sound design applications out there, but you're arbitrarily defending a very mundane app here.
Nothing "basic" nor "mundane" about it, at least not the PC version (no question it's bad on the mac side but I doubt that's what he was talking about). It's a very advanced and powerful editing app - I think it's going overboard to insist that it's an "instrument" but it's a tool that does what it was designed for very well.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Maybe you actually read that about WaveLab, not SoundForge.
i don't think so. wavelab is not on my radar... i could just be mistaken about what i read though.. i'm sure it was a long time ago.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
One of the guys at Audiofile Engineering, who I actually had opportunity to speak with on the phone, thought that wavelab was a port. I also read that SF Mac is not. It's a "from the ground up" rewrite. Either approach has difficulties.

Edit: I'm sure there's probably more than a little gray area between port and "from the ground up" rewrite, too.
Old 15th October 2012
Deleted 49af092
It seems like Sony tech support is actually pretty responsive over at the SF Forum, but it also seems like you need to buy SF 10 to even chime in on the forum. $269 to comment on software that you might want to buy if they can get it up to par is a little steep.

I have a trail of SF 10 for Mac going right now and it's actually pretty great overall, but without any CD layout/creation and DDP export/import it's really not worth it getting into for me.

It's too bad because it wouldn't be hard for them to dominate the OSX mastering software market if they'd just add CD Architect type workflow to it so you can sequence an album with plug-ins running live, add track markers, add CD-text and other meta-data, and burn a disc or make DDP master.

It's also important these days to be able to render WAVs or mp3s right from the CD layout as most of the time, I'm not even burning actual CD's anymore. Mostly it's rendering WAV files of each track from the Wavelab montage (as well as one long mp3 of the project so they can verify gaps between songs properly) and uploading them to clients for approval, and then creating a DDP for CD production or 24-bit WAVs for vinyl cutting. Once in awhile I actually burn a disc, but not so often these days.

CD Architect and Waveburer are ok, but I've enjoyed the part about Wavelab that lets you have many stereo tracks to work with to create an album. CD Arch and Waveburner only do 2 stereo tracks in their CD layout mode.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Jperkinski: Are you not satisfied with wavelab, then? What about Sonic? I guess we have to wait and see on Triumph. It seems only AE and maybe their beta testers know much about that at this point. I'm about to take a spin in the mastering section of Studio One 2. Thanks!
πŸ“ Reply