Quantcast
Sony Soundforge for Mac OS X - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sony Soundforge for Mac OS X
Old 7th October 2012
  #31
Lives for gear
 
Macaroni's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I recently bought DSP Quattro for less than $100 to replace WaveBurner. It's better than WB and does all the CD stuff.
Old 7th October 2012 | Show parent
  #32
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni ➑️
I recently bought DSP Quattro for less than $100 to replace WaveBurner. It's better than WB and does all the CD stuff.
Thanks, I've had it since before BIAS blew up. Then, I upgraded to the latest after. I think I have $64 in it ($45 crossgrade from Peak, WE and WB plus $19 for the upgrade).

I like DSPQ, but I've spent so much time with Peak and waveburner that it's kind of frustrating. It's a little buggy for me under 10.6.8, too. Mainly, sometimes I can't same my changes.

I'm just thinking that wavelab may be a better option, plus it can obviously run on a PC, too. I'm also sort of still considering Sonic Studio's Peak crossgrades. Back on topic: I'll be watching SF Mac, as well.

Oh, and there's AE Triumph when that comes out, though I doubt I'll take my current system to Lion or ML, and there is Adobe Audition, so who knows.
Old 7th October 2012 | Show parent
  #33
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesist ➑️
It's a little buggy for me under 10.6.8, too. Mainly, sometimes I can't same my changes.
I know this was a typo, but "I Can't Same My Changes" would be a pretty great song title.

Anyway, Mountain Lion's pretty great. I encourage you to consider the move.

cheers,
c
Old 7th October 2012 | Show parent
  #34
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Morrison ➑️
The Mac version does not include CD mastering or burning, surround (AC-3) output or video support.
WHAT?!?

- c
Old 7th October 2012
  #35
Here for the gear
 
suecae's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
300 bucks is a good price for what you get. Last I saw the price for Windows, it was substantially more - I wonder if this means that the price will be adjusted for both platforms.

Sent from my GT-P3100
Old 7th October 2012 | Show parent
  #36
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Morrison ➑️
The Mac version does not include CD mastering or burning, surround (AC-3) output or video support.
Or batch processing! (as far as I can figure) Dealkiller. That's very surprising. Not going to plunk down and assume it'll show up soon.
Old 7th October 2012 | Show parent
  #37
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➑️
I know this was a typo, but "I Can't Same My Changes" would be a pretty great song title.

Anyway, Mountain Lion's pretty great. I encourage you to consider the move.

cheers,
c
It would be an honor for you to use my typo. Hah, I didn't intend that double meaning, but I'll leave it.

Yeah, I'm on a (now old, I guess) last black plastic macbook, like the ones they still seem to like for TV and movies (I often wonder if those aren't just shells in some shots).

From my understanding, it's at or near the cutoff for 64 bit kernal, so I don't even know if ML will work on it. If that's the case, it seemed kind of dumb to go just to Lion from SL.
Old 7th October 2012
  #38
Gear Head
 
NickRundall's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
No CD burning or DDP export? That seems insane. So what's the point of using it then? What would I be getting that I couldn't just do in my DAW? I was expecting a one stop mastering solution that I could ditch Waveburner for.
Old 7th October 2012
  #39
Lives for gear
 
jslevin's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
So basically, this product is a disaster. Suckers only.
Old 8th October 2012 | Show parent
  #40
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
I guess that would be sort of a binary view of it, one anyway.

A previous poster reminded me that Windows SF includes a separate program for CD authoring. They also have their spectral editor that is separate. SF Mac does have some nice izotope goodies.
Old 8th October 2012 | Show parent
  #41
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by suecae ➑️
300 bucks is a good price for what you get. Last I saw the price for Windows, it was substantially more - I wonder if this means that the price will be adjusted for both platforms.
Not so. The full boat WIN version is just over $300 (B&H has it for $312)

The crippled WIN version, Audio Studio is about $60, and has video support!

WTF
Who would buy this?

Sony is bonkers on this one.


kasper
Old 8th October 2012 | Show parent
  #42
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Yep...totally perplexed by this bonehead move by Sony.
Old 8th October 2012
  #43
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Besides batch conversion and cd burning missing, also missing some plugins like wave hammer and acoustic mirror. Bringing the app to mac is a huge deal, but not if it doesn't have feature parity with the PC version.
Old 8th October 2012
  #44
Lives for gear
 
aTelecine-Lex's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Connelly ➑️
Besides batch conversion and cd burning missing, also missing some plugins like wave hammer and acoustic mirror. Bringing the app to mac is a huge deal, but not if it doesn't have feature parity with the PC version.
I agree - I really wonder what their reasoning is for taking features away from the Mac version.

I can't think of any technical reason for Sony to have limited features - At least non which they could not have addressed without much issue.

Quite an odd approach Sony has taken with this release.

Best,
Alexa
Old 8th October 2012
  #45
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
My guess is that they just couldn't get all the features working in time. They claim it's not a port but built completely from scratch.

Whatever the case is, if they want it to sell at all, they need to make an announcement of what features they plan to add (and which not, if any), and some sort of rough timeframe when they hope to have new versions with those features included.
Old 9th October 2012
  #46
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Connelly ➑️
My guess is that they just couldn't get all the features working in time. They claim it's not a port but built completely from scratch.

Whatever the case is, if they want it to sell at all, they need to make an announcement of what features they plan to add (and which not, if any), and some sort of rough timeframe when they hope to have new versions with those features included.
Yes. And they should do it here. Because this is the craziest software release I can remember. No DDP and no CD burning?!? What is the point?!?

- c
Old 9th October 2012 | Show parent
  #47
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➑️
Yes. And they should do it here. Because this is the craziest software release I can remember. No DDP and no CD burning?!? What is the point?!?

- c
At first blush, I'm with you 100%. Then, I ask "what is the point" with CD's now? That brings me to: what is the point with an editor? Well, if you can do what you want to do in your DAW, you don't need one. I like to have kind of an intermediate tool for finishing, listening, trying plug-ins, etc. I'll demo it and if I click with their editing model, for example, it will move up the food chain regardless of CD/DDP. I could go on, but I'll stop there. I mean it's all about soundclown, badcamp and the like now anyway, isn't it?
Old 9th October 2012 | Show parent
  #48
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
CDs are far from dead.

iTunes, Amazon, etc are still built upon the CD/album model, even if single downloads sell more.

I need a mastering environment for projects that never make it to "real" mastering.
I need to export from ProTools; edit, sequence, master and burn a CD.

I also need a master image or document that can be sent to a dupe house, and saved for clients and revisions.

Soundforge just feels extremely weak to me. Might as well just get Audacity, seems about the same.

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction -

I don't like Wave Editor at all, too many windows. Will the new version really be different?
DSP Quattro feels ancient, reminds me of Spark (which just crashed all the time)
Wavelab - I won't even consider any software without a demo. And i won't buy a dongle to demo.
Sonic is a lot more money than the others. I would not have a problem shelling out for it if I thought the investment would stick around. They seem like such a niche product with very little market share.
Any Sonic users out there? How is the company on a customer service level, support, updates, etc?

Thanks all,
kasper
Old 9th October 2012 | Show parent
  #49
Lives for gear
 
jslevin's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesist ➑️
I guess that would be sort of a binary view of it, one anyway.

A previous poster reminded me that Windows SF includes a separate program for CD authoring. They also have their spectral editor that is separate. SF Mac does have some nice izotope goodies.
What other view of it should one have, at this price point?

$300 for a "me too" editor with no advanced or professional features?

This is just a money grab for Mac buyers who don't know what software to get. No well informed user will be purchasing this.

JSL
Old 9th October 2012 | Show parent
  #50
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin ➑️
What other view of it should one have, at this price point?

$300 for a "me too" editor with no advanced or professional features?

This is just a money grab for Mac buyers who don't know what software to get. No well informed user will be purchasing this.

JSL
Gotta agree.

I sense that someone inside Sony probably rationalized "Well, who actually makes albums anymore...?"

And then somebody responded "Well, then what's the point of... this whole thing, then?..."

And then there was silence.

And then they put it out anyway.

- c
Old 9th October 2012 | Show parent
  #51
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper ➑️
CDs are far from dead.

iTunes, Amazon, etc are still built upon the CD/album model, even if single downloads sell more.

I need a mastering environment for projects that never make it to "real" mastering.
I need to export from ProTools; edit, sequence, master and burn a CD.

I also need a master image or document that can be sent to a dupe house, and saved for clients and revisions.

Soundforge just feels extremely weak to me. Might as well just get Audacity, seems about the same.

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction -

I don't like Wave Editor at all, too many windows. Will the new version really be different?
DSP Quattro feels ancient, reminds me of Spark (which just crashed all the time)
Wavelab - I won't even consider any software without a demo. And i won't buy a dongle to demo.
Sonic is a lot more money than the others. I would not have a problem shelling out for it if I thought the investment would stick around. They seem like such a niche product with very little market share.
Any Sonic users out there? How is the company on a customer service level, support, updates, etc?

Thanks all,
kasper
What do you use now?

I'm pretty much right with on all those options. I have Peak Pro XT, waveburner, DSP Quattro and Studio One 2. I've mastered hundreds of CD titles and I still do an occasional CD job, but I can get by with what I've got for now, at least.

Personally, I don't think I can justify Sonic, even at the half-price or less Peak crossgrade prices. That kind of leaves SF, Audition, Triumph, and wavelab, I think.

Edit: I guess you can do sequencing and delivery inside DP now, too. I went from version 1.something of that to 5, downgraded to 4, and mothballed it when I finished a collaborative project a few years back. It just wasn't my cup of tea as a DAW, but I guess I should revisit that now too, with the new features and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin ➑️
What other view of it should one have, at this price point?

$300 for a "me too" editor with no advanced or professional features?

This is just a money grab for Mac buyers who don't know what software to get. No well informed user will be purchasing this.

JSL
I was just meaning that in a binary two-view system that the other view would be the opposite of that. Honestly, I thought you were being sarcastic with the "suckers only" comment. Thanks for clarifying that. My world is gray, especially in comparison to all the contradictory black and white opinions I'm finding around here.

Seriously, what software should Mac buyers get?

(Of course, Windows is probably the easiest and funniest answer.)
Old 9th October 2012 | Show parent
  #52
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesist ➑️
What do you use now?

Seriously, what software should Mac buyers get?

(Of course, Windows is probably the easiest and funniest answer.)
Yeah, it is the funniest.
But then what, run the 'real' Sound Forge???

No thanks!
If the Mac demo is any indication, I'll stay far away from Sound Forge !! .... it feels like a toy, not a professional, reliable piece of software.
And Windows ... well that's a different thread but I feel the same about Windows.

Right now I still use WaveBurner.
I get by with it, but just barely.
It's buggy with effect recall, and it's EOL'D.

I see Adobe have a demo and so do Sonic, I'll have to try those out.
But I have a feeling I'll just have to pony up for Sonic.

kasper
Old 9th October 2012 | Show parent
  #53
Gear Addict
 
MatzeMillion's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper ➑️
Any Sonic users out there? How is the company on a customer service level, support, updates, etc?

Thanks all,
kasper
I used PMCD for some years and I had lots of trouble with it, plus the updates came very slow. But now with the rebranding to SoundBladeLE they fixed all the bugs that plagued me and it feels very stable.
And they update their products much more frequently now. Seems that the rewrite of their product line took a lot of time and now that they are done they have capacity to take care of the bug reports.

Regarding the CD-burning / DDP-export... there is still a lot of request for CDs (and DDPs) and even if I master an album just for digital release I use SoundBlade for all the editing, fading and sequencing. it is still an Album and it still has consecutive tracks. In the end I don't export a DDP but all tracks as single WAV files in one step. Is Soundforge/mac at least capable of that?
Old 9th October 2012
  #54
Lives for gear
 
jslevin's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
My impression is that WaveLab is the clear #1 choice for DDP generation on a Mac. Possibly the Sonoris as a close #2. Anyone care to agree with or challenge that statement?
Old 9th October 2012 | Show parent
  #55
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper ➑️
Yeah, it is the funniest.
But then what, run the 'real' Sound Forge???
Yeah, the PC version of sound forge is still a great option for this sort of editing. No question they botched the initial Mac version but the original PC app is top notch. There's a good reason there are a good number of mac guys who either have a PC or some sort of virtual windows just for SF.
Old 9th October 2012 | Show parent
  #56
Gear Maniac
 
NothingTheory's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesist ➑️
No CD/no DDP = non-starter for me.

Maybe it's a work in progress.

Back to thinking about the BIAS/wavelab crossgrade.
I was going to point to Bias Peak as well .. but it appears they are now out of business.. damn... Im really hoping the timing coincidence means Sony bought them out and simply have not integrated the intellectual property into soundforge yet... Not a big fan of wavelab .. what to do...

BIAS, Inc. has ceased operations
Old 9th October 2012 | Show parent
  #57
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Does anyone here have hands-on experience with the Audiofile Engineering Triumph beta?

I suppose that could be a contender. I have all of their desktop stuff, well except for the voiceover, ear training and jukebox applications. I started with WE ($150 crossgrade from Peak and WB) some years back and then went to their bundle early last year for $79 plus another $49 for DDP playback in Backline.

They are so slow to update things, though, and now they're going with the Mac App Store model. They seem like nice guys, but it comes together and comes of as a pretty strange company. I suppose I've gotten my $278 worth of usefulness out of all that, mainly the izotope SRC and dither, which is why I find the embedded izo stuff in SF Mac interesting.
Old 9th October 2012 | Show parent
  #58
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin ➑️
My impression is that WaveLab is the clear #1 choice for DDP generation on a Mac. Possibly the Sonoris as a close #2. Anyone care to agree with or challenge that statement?
Yes, I will agree with or challenge that statement. Actually, I didn't realize Sonoris was for Macintosh now, time to go look at that one. Thanks for pointing it out.

I'm going to try the playlist/delivery section of Studio One 2 for my next project. Does anyone use the built-in mastering features in Digital Performer?
Old 10th October 2012 | Show parent
  #59
Lives for gear
 
jslevin's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesist ➑️
I was just meaning that in a binary two-view system that the other view would be the opposite of that.
I don't get it. Is there a point in here somewhere?

Quote:
Honestly, I thought you were being sarcastic with the "suckers only" comment. Thanks for clarifying that. My world is gray, especially in comparison to all the contradictory black and white opinions I'm finding around here.
I think the world is very gray, making it all the more striking when something is very black-and-white. Like the fact that this Sony offering sucks and will rely only on ill-informed users to make money.

Quote:
Seriously, what software should Mac buyers get?
I think there are many good editors way cheaper than this.

For a full-feature editor with DDP assembly, it's looking like Wavelab is the only serious product out there. For DDP assembly only, Sonoris looks pretty good. (Actually, it looks terrible, but apparently it works well.)

I'm a recovering Peak customer, trying not to buy too many more things before I can just settle in and work with something for a good long while.

Quote:
(Of course, Windows is probably the easiest and funniest answer.)
If the right solution is out there, I'm not opposed to setting up a cheap Windows machine just to assemble DDP masters. It wouldn't really disrupt our workflow at all, since we process all the audio in Pro Tools HD (soon to be HDX), in real-time with outboard. In fact, it might help by pushing the DDP assembly out of our main control room.

But I haven't found a compelling solution on Windows either, not at a reasonable price.

JSL
Old 10th October 2012 | Show parent
  #60
hct
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper ➑️
CDs are far from dead.

iTunes, Amazon, etc are still built upon the CD/album model, even if single downloads sell more.
And please also note that iTunes, Amazon etc digital music stores are available in very few countries in the world. And even if they are, the choice in them is varying greatly. I live in EU, Amazon is not available here in my country and even if I'd use iTunes, about half of music I'm buying isn't available in there. In US iTunes Store it would be about 90%.
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 20664 views: 6365746
Avatar for Yoozer
Yoozer 2 hours ago
replies: 55 views: 32428
Avatar for IM WHO YOU THINK
IM WHO YOU THINK 13th October 2020
replies: 1296 views: 181941
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
replies: 64 views: 11286
Avatar for jasses
jasses 17th December 2015
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump